TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 10th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 01:29 PM

It might be a good idea to just go ahead and have some of the foods you're craving but I would say try and restrict it to just the one meal rather than the whole day. Are you planning for one cheat meal a week? I find that allowing for one such meal a week (usually on the weekend), if I get a craving during the week sometime, I can tell myself that I am only 'x' days away before I can eat it and 'x' will never be more than 7 days so it doesn't seem like such a long time and I can normally get over the craving quickly and easily.

Find me on Facebook
Old 01-09-2011, 02:06 PM

Hi Wsarwani,

So far, I've been able to work most of my cravings into my diet: a piece of bread with peanut butter with bananas, small piece of dark chocolate, etc. Problem is I don't want a small piece, I want the whole bar or several pieces of bread! Is that just teaching myself some limits? Do you learn to adjust or is it always a struggle? I know I can get used to having less frequent treats in my diet, I've done it before....but it always seems like a temporary state, not an easy place to stay. Grrrr. Cheat meals scare me...I'm liable to plan something like lasagna, cheesecake, etc. And since I would make it (I'm a pretty good cook and don't like most boxed meals anyway--that was never my problem) then I would be stuck with all this food to eat up. Although...I suppose maybe the cheat meal is the time to have company over! Then send them home with the leftovers?

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it --Margaret Thatcher

The link to my FitDay Journal: http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...Owner=howell27
Old 01-09-2011, 03:32 PM

Let yourself have a small piece. You should learn where your limits are. There is no point not letting yourself eat some things, because it's more probable that eventually you'll overeat and do more harm than with just one small piece.

Another way is to create deferred cheat day list - from Craig's Diet hacs
Quote:
Diet Hack #3 Ė Create a deferred cheat day list

This is a mental tip to help you get through the week until your reward meal or cheat day (whichever you choose). In my interview with Tim Ferriss, he recommended keeping a list of all your cravings, and promising yourself that you can have those foods on your cheat day. Knowing that you have something to look forward to is a great mindset tip. It will keep you going through the tough days during the week.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:37 PM

What exactly are you craving? Is there anyway you can satisfy the craving with a healthier option; i.e. dates for a sugar craving?

Usually I'd say go and have a wee treat, but if cheat meals really worry you... maybe cold turkey is the best option? I don't know, maybe if you push through this really difficult period you'll come out the other side with no cravings? Maybe think of it like you're giving up something like cigarettes Cheat days work for a lot of people, but that doesn't mean they work for everyone. If the thought really scares you then perhaps the best strategy is to battle through the cravings. And is it possible the cravings are only in your head?

I've been vegan for nearly 3 years and whenever someone asks me about it 9 times out of 10 they go 'oh I could never give up cheese'. I read somewhere there is something in cheese that drives the brain mad (sorry can't remember details!) Well, I used to love cheese, but I can tell you I've not had a single craving since becoming vegan. I think it's very hard to crave something you've not had in a long time.

Just my tuppence worth. It might take a while, but I'm sure you'll discover what strategy works best for you

P.S. Sorry for the rambling post!
Old 01-09-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howell27 View Post
I'm having terrible cravings. I've even been dreaming about food and am worried about a binge coming on. Do I just plan a cheat day or cheat meal and see if that helps? I've been trying to work in a few things I'm craving into my diet but not sure if that is helping or hurting. Any suggestions?
I have found that eat-stop-eat (a 24 hour fast in case you're unfamiliar w/ this) helps you become "master" over your cravings. To sugar-detox myself after all the junk over the holidays I used ESE twice this past week. I'm back in control now. Just my 2-cents worth. If you can figure out why you want to eat a particular thing, then it will be easier for you to be in control. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2011, 02:58 AM

I agree that all the responses to your last post will help with the cravings and handling cheat meals but I'd like to just reaffirm what Tatjana wrote - it may just be a case of will power and discipline in eating just one helping and portion and then being done with it. Think about how food is served in a restaurant - not a fast food place, a "proper" restaurant where you order and food is served at your table. You get just that portion on your plate, not more. You should plate your food the same way at home - that is your portion, no going back for seconds. Pack it or give it away beforehand if you have to.

I travel a lot for work and often need to eat at buffets as they are convenient and quick. But I use the same strategy - one trip, get the food your going to eat in one shot and then sit down and eat it as a single meal - no going back for seconds.

Just some ideas - see what you think.

Find me on Facebook
Old 01-10-2011, 10:16 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies! I really appreciate it. I've had a very busy day and hope to have more time to write tomorrow. I'm planning to try a couple of the suggestions, and think that having a higher calorie day with "cheat meals" in there will work, both to help the craving, learn portion control and feel more secure by keeping it inside my calorie count best I can. I'm willing to try a fast day also and have one planned for Thursday...just before the weekend. I'm certainly willing to give it a try and see if I can make something new work for me and these suggestions all make sense in the bigger picture of making a lifestyle change rather than just a 12 week diet. I"ll let you know how I make out! Again, thanks!

The link to my FitDay Journal: http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...Owner=howell27
Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 PM

So, after reading everyone's advice, (thanks everyone!) I'm trying to incorporate a few treats into my diet and make myself stick to the allowed calories for the day. While calorie counting is time consuming, it's really helping me feel in control. I've stayed at the same weight all week, but I'm not too worried yet. I'm also trying a calorie cycle where I eat one day at approximately maintenance (around 2200 cal), then each day eat less for 6 days, then back to maint. This was suggested by Leigh Peele although she uses a 6 day cycle, I'm using a 7 day since that fits better into my schedule. I've gotten some good information off of her site and the diet stuff seems to compliment TT and everything else I'm trying to accomplish. Apparently I fit into the "volume whore" category (love the name) where I feel better on lower calories when my stomach is full, so lots of low cal veggies to fill me up really help. Plus she recommended only 2 meals a day for higher meal satiation while in deficit--very close to what I was already doing. I'm certainly learning a lot. Diet always seems to be the hardest thing to stick to, so anything new I can learn to help me find a better way of eating is appreciated. Obviously what I was doing before didn't work, and now I just need to make sure any new style of eating is something I can do for the rest of my life. I don't know about calorie counting. I'm certainly willing to do it for now, but it will need to be something that is modified and used less when I finally get to a maintenance weight. But right now, I actually like it.

I'm also going to do an ESE fast tomorrow since it is the lowest calorie day on the cycle. I've never done a full 24 hour fast so I'm a bit nervous, but I can see everyone else manages to pull through, so I know I can too! I'll have 5 little kids here most of the day so it will be interesting anyway. I'm really hoping it helps with the cravings...I'm am doing a little better this week. Maybe just the idea that they aren't forbidden, just have to be worked in and in smaller amounts is helping with the psychological hunger.

Workouts: I'm starting week three of the Booty for Wife. I don't have access to very heavy weights (a 15 pounder is my heaviest) and I'm wondering if I can sub in a sandbag? Now that I feel pretty comfortable with the exercises for this set, I want to up the weights but don't really have the money for new heavier free weights. Any thoughts? I also saw where someone (sorry can't remember where I saw the post or I'd give you credit!) was timing the workouts then trying to beat that time on the next workout. Really like that idea and plan to start on my workout today. Workout A of Weeks 1-4. I'm one workout behind where I should be since I missed one, but onward and upward! I also found a 25 minute stretching video that I'm going to try to add in each week to help loosen me up. Someone also recommended getting a foam roller to help with tight muscles and I think I'll add that as my reward for getting through this week!

The intervals are giving me more grief. I love the workouts, and haven't had any problem getting them all in, but the intervals are harder. I've been using my elliptical to get them done, and hope to next week switch to using a TT bodyweight Cardio...I've got the Crazy 8 printed out and the manual for Bodyweight Cardio 3. Time to pick it up!

Old 01-12-2011, 04:15 PM

You will manage the fast! When are you planning to start? I found out that it works best for me for 4pm to 4pm. I would have lunch at 12 am and then one meal at 4 pm, but this last meal must be meat and not much carbs. It keeps me full longer. After I just drink warm tea - a lot of it actually I go to the toilet a lot, but that's good for me as I sit whole day. Some additional exercise. Also chewing gum helps me to curb cravings. It funny that I'm not hungry, but still want to eat something. Keeping away from food and being busy helps a lot. If you have 5 children to take care off, you won't have much free time anyway.

Regarding workout. You could shorten rest to 30 seconds instead of 1 minute. Or try substituting exercises. For example pushups instead of DB presses.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:42 PM

I actually enjoy calorie counting too, although when I stop it is a nice relief. My long term plan is to allocate a set number of 'treat' calories a week, and then only count them. However I'll only be able to do that once I'm confident my daily routine is healthy and at a decent calorie level. Could be some time!