TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 10th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1 View Post
I've just started to think about this, too - was it a Craig post that I read the suggestion in? Most likely. Anyway, I've noticed that if I eat eggs plus whatever else for breakfast I can go and go and go without any hunger for hours on end. If I only eat some yogurt (Greek - so high in protein) and some fruits or veggies as I did this morning then I am hungry 2 hours later. If I can get back to 3 meals a day as I used to do in grad school when I was at the height of fitness, I think this will be the best for me. 6 meals a day just encourages a food obsession for me.
Yeah I read it in a Craig post I started today and may have already discovered that I have a distorted image of what it's like to be full (I suspect I only thing I'm full if I have a big stodge of carb in my belly )

I think analysing food reaction is the only way I'll be able to view healthy foods in a positive light. Right now, I could happily eat junk all day. Maybe if I document how rubbish it makes me feel I'll stop munching so much...

I'm with 3 meals a day too (with two small snacks). 6 a day sounds like a lot of hard work!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:33 PM

Nutrition today...

B- pre exercise banana, coffee (ya I know). After-3/4 c steel cut oats with blueberries, nuts, a grapefruit, 1/2 yellow pepper 1c of 1% milk
snack-orange, carrots, 1 oz almonds
L-zuchinni hash brown (basically 2 eggs, 1c shredded zucchini, spices/onion), topped with a steamed/mashed tomato (not nearly fresh enough to eat fresh!) with basil and a bit of parmesan, big bunch of grapes, 3 slices turkey bacon
sn-homemade greek yoghurt 3/4c, mixed with frozen raspberries/Stevia carrot sticks
S-leftover pork tenderloin chopped onto a salad of 2 kinds lettuce, some cucumber and peppers, and tiny bit sundried tomatoes and feta cheese (gotta precisely measure those toppings...I literally had the acutal measureing spoon in the tomato jar and for my dressing!). Fresh pineapple.

It's been interesting, this experiment of eating carbs (grain ones) only after working out. This is certainly requireing me to become creative!!!

I have been still putting groceries away today/chopping veggies after my son being sick yesterday (didn't get it done). I bought a treat for myself for the weekend....Lindt brand Fleur-de-sel dark chocolate (dark with some sea salt added, gives you lots of little salty "zings" when you chew it and it's deadly )...and we are also going to a stir fry buffet restauraunt although I won't add noodles this time. Carefully noted how many calories in 3 squares (150, should last me a few weekends). Put it in the back of a tall cupboard...I have to get on a stepstool and move a bunch of mugs to get it. THAT will give me time to talk myself out of a chocolate craving!!!

Tina

"Dream the impossible, do the incredible."

"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you will suck forever!!!"
Old 01-06-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Not Shannon here (hope you don't mind me jumping in) but I just got off a year of using kettlebells prior to rejoining TT. Normally can swing a 35lb one no problem, but the other day struggled with swinging a 26lb one after doing a TT workout...mind you, it has been a long time since I have DB squats and lunges. I had been doing some KB front squats and goblet squats, but that in no way compares to the leg work you do in TT. I think if I opt for KB's I will have to do my intervals completely separate from my workout, like in the evening or an off day!

Normally beginning women are advised to use an 18lb KB. KB work, swings and even snatches tend to be a ballistic explosive movement from the hip flexors and hamstrings....you are (ideally) barefoot, hinging back like sitting in a chair, and snapping your hips/contracting your hamstrings/glutes and driving the force through your heels into the floor (that's why they advise the bare feet or REALLY flat soled shoes), which is what gives you the power. If you have hamstring issues, maybe let them heal up a bit first.

Hope this helps!

Tina
Thanks, Tina. I'm going to give KB swings a try after my hamstring is healed. It's doing better but still 'twingy' so I'll wait and see if I can start back up again on Sunday when I start my new week of TT.

And good luck to you in this contest - from your earlier posts it seems we are in a similar place. So many of us here this time are seeking to get rid of that last bit of excess fat. I hope we all succeed!

Old 01-06-2011, 10:15 AM

Default TTintermediate workout A

Sitting here at the computer now (8 am here) and drinking a blender drink of almond milk, almond butter, raspberries, and vanilla protien powder and spinach (Craig's right, you really can't taste it!) plus a bowl of steel cut oatmeal with a splash of milk and some flaxseed.

bodyweight warmup (prisoner squats, pushups, ball leg curls)

DB split squats 10lb DB's x8 15lb DB's x8, 20lb db's 3x8
DB incline press 10lb DB x8 15lb DB x6, 20lb DB 3x8

Stability ball leg curls 3 sets 15
pushups 3 sets 15 all on knees...I really find pushups hard this workout after the incline presses.

Stability ball jacknife 3 sets 10
DB rear delt raise 7.5lb 3x10

intervals (Craig's 31 intervals e book)---- 12 min kettlebell swings as many as possible:

Did 280 with a 35lb kettlebell. I probably could have hit 300, but my forearms were getting pretty fried even though I made sure to hook the bell and not squeeze it for dear life and I kept having to set the bell down towards the end for 10-15 sec or so, so I quit with 40sec to go. GREAT workout...took my heart rate periodically (roughly, counting 6 sec and multlipying by 10) and it ranged 120-190BPM through the whole workout.

I am planning to increase my weights slightly next workout now that my muscles have adjusted and I am not feeling any next day soreness. I pre planned it and set my dumbells out for next workout (basically just adding a 2.5lb plate to one end for the squats for example, next workout add another one, etc.)

Have a great day everyone!

Tina

Old 01-06-2011, 11:55 AM

It's weird how you can't taste the spinach eh?! Makes the drink look weird though... mine turn out muddy pink with green speckles :/
Old 01-06-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
My victory this week...staying away from standing up-impulse eating, especially at work with all the food there. I was pretty proud to be able to look at those donuts and tell myself that I won't eat them...they won't help me reach my goals.
Good job, Tina! It's such a challenge at work sometimes when everyone else is eating junk. Thank goodness passing up the treats that aren't all that special but are just "there" gets easier and easier over time. Personally, a special treat of candy cane cheesecake would be worth a stack of boxes of donuts as far as I'm concerned!

You can't out-train a bad diet.

To get something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done.

I've been at this a while-all last year in fact!

Contest #7 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8167
Contest #8 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8904
Contest #9 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=9480
Old 01-09-2011, 12:52 AM

Default Sat...TT intermediate workout B

DB squats warmup 12.5.lb DB, 17.5lb Db x8, then 3 sets of 22.5lb x8
stability ball rollout 3x8

Db reverse lunge 17.5lb 3x8
Side plank 3 sets 30sec

Db row 30lb 3x8
back extension on ball 3x10

workout bodyweight interval

4 rounds of 12 y squats, 6 diagonal lunges per leg, 6 offset (kneeling) pushups per side, 8 spiderman climbs per side, and 60 jumping jacks

Went to a stir fry buffet place today. That was my cheat for the week...I had 2 small bowls with some steamed noodles, broccoli, peppers, sprouts, edamame, onion, and beef, and only put half the oil in the sauce recipie. And I passed dessert (!!!!! ) except for 2 small tsps of dd's ice cream sundae

I posted a bit in the nutrition forum about going a bit batty trying to eat 6 meals a day this last few weeks. Mentally I REALLY think I need to go to some sort of intermittent fasting like I did before. I am finding it difficult to fit this all in and feel like I am CONSTANTLY eating or cleaning up or thinking about eating. I posted more about this in that nutrition forum post. After almost 2 weeks I am already ready for a change or I will have a major Diet Compliance Problem!

I am really intrigued by the Leangains approach with the emphasis on pre-post workout nutrition. Martin (Berkhan) has a really neat blog that I have been exposed to before (last contest) and was poking around in today. He even has some info on early morning exercisers like me. Also I did catch in his blog somewhere in the archives comparing types of fasting about some people overcompensating and overeating on 24h/2x per week fasts...I think that was some of my problem last contest. I think it is doable, even with the (very) few times every six weeks I do night shifts, although it may be tricky adjusting when I eat/workout on nights (probably when I get up before work, so I work out "fasted" and then eat through the night at work) so I will have to think about that. It would be easy enough though to adjust my training days for the most part to avoid it on night shifts, as I only have a Fri-Sat-Sun and a Tues-Wed into Thurs a.m, once every six weeks for each.

Here are some links I have found helpful:

http://doubleyourgains.com/musclebui...oach_Final.pdf

http://www.leangains.com/2010/05/ear...-training.html

picked up some BCAA's powder today, and am going to give this a go!

Need to get to bed...I have been staying up way to late this week. I am getting a cold I think so am trying to stave it off.

Last edited by crazycanuck : 01-09-2011 at 12:56 AM. Reason: fix links
Old 01-09-2011, 04:20 AM

Hi Tina, I just got to your thread now (busy catching up with everyone). When I first saw the username "crazycanuck", I thought to myself that there used to be someone called "canuckgirl" in the forums in previous contests. Lo and behold, it was you! It's good to have you back for TC10 - good workouts and nutrition so far...you're going to do great.