TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 7th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 10:23 AM

Default 2/18 workout and nutrition

Today I did the Day 5 workout of TT 2K10 so I can save the Day 4 workout for Friday. My week got messed up because of President's Day on Monday. The workout went as follows.

Heavy Bench Press (1x6): 225 lbs

Day 5
1) Box Jumps (3x15): 15, 15, 15
2) Burpee-ChinUp combo (3x8): 8, 7, 5
3) Pushups (3xmax): 24, 18, 15
4) Inverted Rows (3x15): 15, 12, 10
5) X-body mtn climbers (3x8/side): 8, 8, 8
6) Lunge Jump (3x6/side): 6, 6, 6
7) Spiderman Climp (3x8/side): 8, 8, 8
8) Sprint (3x20 sec): 20, 20, 20

I did some warmup and feel sets of bench press, then hit 225 lbs for 6 reps. This is one of my benchmarks to make sure my strength stays up while on a calorie deficit and a fast paced workout schedule. I hit 5 reps easily, and had to really push to get the 6th. This is typical for me, especially on little sleep. I'm happy with this number, and as long as I can hit at least 5 reps at 225 lbs, I'm satisfied that I'm maintaining strength.

The TT workout was tough, but doable. This combination of exercises is tough at the beginning of the circuit, then it get easier towards the end, which helps. The first 2 times through went well, but the third time through took a lot of will power. You can see the the numbers on the tough exercises (burpee-chinup, pushup, inverted row) drop after each round. The overall pushup number is low because of the bench press work I did before hand. Overall, this was a good workout that left me pretty well drained. It felt good.

My nutrition today is high GI. Food choices will be similar to yesterday with low fat.

Meal 1: Smoothie with skim milk, chocolate whey powder, frozen strawberries and blueberries.
Meal 2: (During and post workout): shake with skim milk, chocolate whey powder, dextrose (pure unrefined sugar), water, BCAA, and Glutimine
Meal 3: Oatmeal with vanilla whey powder and natural honey
Meal 4: Fajitas with grilled chicken breast, peppers and onions, lettuce, whole wheat tortilla.
Meal 5: Whole wheat toast with sliced ham lunchmeat
Meal 6: Supper - TBD
Meal 7: Protein shake with no carbs

Tomorrow is my cheat day. I saved workout C for tomorrow so I could hit the deadlift and military press hard on this higher calorie and carb day. We'll see how that goes. I haven't done heavy deadlifts in a while.

Until tomorrow.

Joel
Old 02-19-2010, 01:57 PM

Smile 2/19 workout and nutrition

I did workout c from TT2K10 today. The results are below.

1A) Deadlift (3x8): 225, 225, 225
Crash Set (1x8): 135
1B) BB Military Press (3x6): 95, 95, 95

2A) Forward Lunge (3x8/side): 50, 50, 50
2B) Renegade Row (3x10/side): 50, 50, 50

3A) BB Rollout (3x12): 12, 12
3B) Side Plank + DB Raise (3x10/side): 10, 10

This was kind of a feeler workout since I haven't done deadlifts in a while. I started with a weight I was comfortable with, and it ended up being about right. It was fairly light, but somewhat challenging on the last set, so I got a good break-in without hurting myself. Cmbining it with the military press made it a little more challenging too. My shoulders aren't the greatest, so I went a little light on the military press, but it was still a reasonable weight for me. The lunges and renegade rows weren't too heavy, but they got me sweating really good. I'll increase the weights next time. The ab superset at the end went well, except I was rushing to fit in, and I skipped the last set. My second time through this workout will be more challenging when I increase the weights next week.

For nutrition, today is my cheat day. I'm not going to post what I'm eating because it's pretty random as far as the snacks in between meals. I'm still eating about 1/3 - 1/2 healthy food and keeping calories at a reasonable level. Tomorrow is a fast day, so I need to enjoy the food today.

Joel
Old 02-21-2010, 12:29 AM

Hey Joel, I see that you went with 2K10. I'm done with it this week so off to BDHC but I liked 2K10. It was hard to get all 5 workouts in but I managed to do the main ones. Have fun!

My Blog - Fat Loss Strategies
Primal Fit Bootcamp, East Bay, CA

"You are only as happy as you make your mind up to be."
Old 02-22-2010, 12:15 PM

Default 2/22 workout and nutrition

I did the Day 5 workout from TT2K10 today. I switched the order of the workouts around a little bit because on Monday I'm just coming off a fast day on Saturday and a no-carb day on Sunday. I can take advantage of the lack of carbs in my system on Monday by hitting a fast paced circuit type workout like the Day 5 workout. Also, my energy is down on Monday because of the lack of carbs, so I don't want to do a difficult high energy workout until I get my energy back up. Here are the results of the workout. I improved a little bit from the first time I went through it.

Heavy Bench Press (1x4): 235 lbs

Day 5
1) Box Jumps (3x15): 15, 15, 15
2) Burpee-ChinUp combo (3x8): 8, 7, 5
3) Pushups (3xmax): 27, 20, 17
4) Inverted Rows (3x15): 15, 15, 15
5) X-body mtn climbers (3x8/side): 8, 8, 8
6) Lunge Jump (3x6/side): 6, 6, 6
7) Spiderman Climp (3x8/side): 8, 8, 8
8) Sprint (3x20 sec): 20, 20, 20

Basketball game at night.

I did the heavy bench before my workout today, which was a mistake. I don't have the energy to do this on Monday. Even though I increased the weight to 235 lbs, I should have gotten 5 reps, not just 4, and I had to really push for 4. I will do this later in the week from now on.

The workout left me pretty exhausted, which felt good about 30 minutes later. Tonight I have a basketball game, so I'll get in a little more excercise.

For nutrition, today is a low GI day. Here are my meals.

Meal 1: Smoothie with skim milk, heavy whipping cream (for fat), chocolate protein powder, stawberries and blueberries.
Meal 2 (during and post-workout): Shake with orange gatorade powder, vanilla protein powder, maltodextrin (pure sugar), skim milk, water, BCAA, Glutimine.
Meal 3: Pear, sliced ham, cheese
Meal 4: Beef ribs with fat trimmed, grilled peppers and onions, apple
Meal 5: Protein shake with heavy cream, strawberries and blueberries (before bb game)
Meal 6: Grilled chicken breast and green beans

Fruit tastes good today after two consecutive days of no carbs.

I weighed in yesterday, and I'm down about another 2 lbs, but that was after my fast day, so it should come back up a little. My waist measurement was between 1/4 and 1/2 inch lower, so I'm at about 2 inches down total on my waist in the first 5 weeks.

So far so good.

Joel

Last edited by shandajoy : 02-23-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:27 AM

Default 2/23 workout and nutrition

I did the Day 1 workout from TT2K10 today. The results are below.

Day 1
1A) Jump Squats (3x8): 8, 8, 8
1B) Decline Pushup (3x1< failure): 24, 18, 14
1C) WYT (3x8 each): 8, 8, 8

2A) BB Squat (3x8): 215, 185, 185
Crash Set (1x8): none
2B) Stability Ball Ab Pike (3x8): 6, 6, 6

3A) 1-Leg Hip Extension (3x15/side): 15, 15, 15
3B) 1-Leg SB Leg Curl (3x10/side): 10, 10, 10
3C) SB Plank (3x45 sec): 30, 25, 25

4) KB Swings (10x40 sec): 2 sets with 16kg KB

I had a basketball game last night, and only 4 other guys showed up on our team, so I played the entire game, and it was a fast paced game. I was exhausted at the end. This morning I was really low on energy, and it showed in my workout. The squats I was hoping to do 3 sets at 225 today, but after only getting 6 reps on the first set at 215, I had to drop to 185 to get the full 8. This was very disappointing, but understandable given the lack of energy. My legs and back weren't fatigued, I just didn't have the energy. On the positive side, I increased my total decline pushups from 46 in my last workout to 56 in this workout. I increased the pikes from 4 to 6 per set, and I could feel it in my abs this time. I also had time to do 2 sets of the KB swings. That used up just about all the energy I had left.

For nutrition, today is a low GI day, which means one portion each of protein, fat, and low GI carbs with each meal. My meals are as follows.

Meal 1: Smoothie with skim milk, chocolate protein powder, stawberries and blueberries. String Cheese for fat.
Meal 2 (during and post-workout): Shake with orange gatorade powder, vanilla protein powder, maltodextrin (pure sugar), skim milk, water, BCAA, Glutimine.
Meal 3: Pear, sliced ham, peanuts
Meal 4: Grilled chicken breast, green beans
Meal 5: Whole wheat toast with peanut butter
Meal 6: Pork chop with vegetables

Tomorrow is the killer workout, Workout B from TT2K10. I'll save up my energy today and try to get more sleep so I can hit it hard tomorrow.

Joel

Last edited by shandajoy : 02-24-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:56 AM

Since you posted your meals for today already, I guess I am stuck with making pork chops for tonight Maybe I will change my mind and make a big greasy pizza instead... ok, i guess I will stick with the chops...

Have a good day!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:59 AM

Default 2/24 workout and nutrition

I was wrong in my last post. Today isn't a workout day, it's an interval day. I did an interval workout consisting of the following:

5 minute warmup on treadmill

6 intervals of
60 sec at 9.0 mph and 1.0 incline
90 sec at 3.5 mph and 1.0 incline

3 minutes cooldown on treadmill

20 minutes of static stretching on all muscle groups.

The intervals weren't that hard, but I was sweating after them. I'll build up with the intervals over the next 2 weeks. In the last 4 weeks, I will hit them a lot harder and more often.

For nutrition, today is high GI day. Meals are as follows:

Meal 1: Smoothie with skim milk, chocolate whey powder, frozen strawberries and blueberries.
Meal 2: (During and post workout): shake with skim milk, chocolate whey powder, dextrose (pure unrefined sugar), water, BCAA, and Glutimine
Meal 3: Whole wheat toast with sliced ham lunchmeat
Meal 4: Grilled pork chop with carrots
Meal 5: 1 piece of whole wheat toast with nothing on it
Meal 6: Two fajitas with seasoned grilled chicked breast, grilled peppers and onions, lettuce, and wholoe wheat tortilla (no cheese).

Tomorrow is the big workout.

Joel

Last edited by shandajoy : 02-25-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:25 PM

Default Protein

Hey Joel,

What no carb protein do you consume? I have been looking for one.

Thanks,

AC
Old 02-24-2010, 05:24 PM

Hey AC,

I use whey blend and whey isolate from All The Whey (http://www.allthewhey.com). They have good protein for cheap. They started selling a lot of the protein through distribution recently, so if you don't see the cheap price on their site, go to the distributer's site. I get 5 lb tubs of the blend for around $30 from DPS Nutrition now. It has 1 gram of carb per scoop (22 gram protein). I get chocolate and vanilla, both of which taste pretty good.

Joel
Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 AM

Default 2/25 workout and nutrition

Today I did the Day 2 workout from TT2K10. The results are below.

1) DB 1-Arm Snatch (3x15 each side): 30, 30, 30

2A) DB Incline Press (3x8): 140, 140, 140
Crash set (1x8): 100
2B) DB CSR (3x12): 80, 80, 80
Crash set (1x8): 50

3A) Chinup with Knee-Up (3x12): 6, 7, 5
3B) Dips (3x1
4A) DB Curls (3x8): 70, 70, 60
Crash set (1x8): 40
4B) DB OH Triceps extension (3x12): 50, 50, 50
Crash set (1x8): 35
4C) DB Rear Deltoid Raise (3x10): 30, 30, 30

This was a really good workout again. The 1-arm snatches really wear you down at the beginning of the workout. I increased the weight on the incline press and CSR, and that felt really good. The Chinup/Dip superset is a grinder. After the chest/row superset, the chinup/dip superset is really hard, and my numbers are really low compared to an unfatigued state. These are big exercises that move your body through space, so they are some of the best exercises you can do. Even though they are a grind, they feel awesome when you're done. The biceps/triceps/shoulder tri-set is a good finisher too. Save the smaller muscles till the end and really burn them out. My upper body was pretty pumped after the workout. Did I mention that I like this workout? Maybe that's because it doesn't involve much legs...

For nutrition, today is a high GI day. My meals are as follows.

Meal 1: Fiber One (a little extra carbs to prepare for the workout). smoothie with skim milk, chocolate whey powder, frozen strawberries and blueberries.
Meal 2: (During and post workout): shake with a little skim milk, orange Gatorade powder, vanilla whey powder, dextrose (pure unrefined sugar), water, BCAA, and Glutimine - tastes like orage creamcicle
Meal 3: Oatmeal with vanilla whey powder and natural honey
Meal 4: One and a half fajitas with seasoned grilled chicked breast, grilled peppers and onions, lettuce, and wholoe wheat tortilla (no cheese).
Meal 5: TBD
Meal 6: TBD

I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but the only thing I drink every day is water, and I get about 1 to 1-1/2 gallons per day.

Joel

Last edited by shandajoy : 02-25-2010 at 01:54 PM.