TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 7th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2010, 08:55 PM

Default 2/10 nutrition

Today I wasn't able to hit the gym, so my workout was snow blowing and shoveling. We got hit pretty hard with the snow last night. About 12" total. I'm switching my day 3 and day 4 workout, so tomorrow I'll hit the squats hard at the gym. Today is a high GI day for nutrition. One portion of protein and one portion of high GI carb (brown rice, oatmeal, whole wheat bread, sweet potato, etc) with each meal. Little to no fat with each meal. For breakfast I tried oatmeal with chocolate whey powder and a little natural honey. It turned out to be pretty good. I only got in 5 meals today, but that's ok because I didn't get in a good workout, so I don't need as much food today. Looking forward to a good squat workout tomorrow. As sick as it sounds, I've actually grown to love squats. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Joel
Old 02-10-2010, 10:59 PM

Hi Joel, I was just at Shanda's thread. It's great that you guys are doing this together. Workouts are looking good. Keep it up!

My Blog - Fat Loss Strategies
Primal Fit Bootcamp, East Bay, CA

"You are only as happy as you make your mind up to be."
Old 02-11-2010, 01:11 PM

Default 2/11 workout and nutrition

Well I hit the Day 3 workout from TT Hardcore today for the last time. I was pumped for the squats, which helped me get through them. Here are the results from the workout.

1A) BB Wide Squat (3x8): 215 lbs (wish I would have tried 225 because I had a little left in the tank)
1B) Weighted Crunch (3x15): 60 lbs
2A) BB Front Squat (3x8): 115 lbs
2B) DB RDL (3x8): 110 lbs (both DBs)
Bodyweight Circuit (2 rounds): Ran out of time for 3rd round

That one left me feeling good. Had to perform the burpies without a jump to make it through the BW circuits. I went deep on the squats, just past parallel on the wide squats, and as low as I could (about 6" from the ground) on the front squats.

Nutrition today is High GI. One portion of protein and one portion of high GI carb with each meal. Little to no fat today.

Meal 1: Smoothie with skim milk, chocolate whey powder, frozen strawberries and blueberries.
Meal 2: (During and post workout): shake with skim milk, chocolate whey powder, dextrose (pure unrefined sugar), and BCAA
Meal 3: Oatmeal with vanilla whey powder and natural honey
Meal 4: Grilled chicked breast with brown rice and veggies
Meal 5: Whole wheat toast with sliced ham lunchmeat (not the best, but ok)
Meal 6: Grilled chicken breast cut up in whole wheat pasta with low fat alfredo sauce
Meal 7: Protein shake with no carbs

Tomorrow's the last day for TT Hardcore, so I'll hit it hard and see if I can improve on my weight for the clean and press, and number of pullups and dips at the end of the workout. These are tough when your already beat from the other excercises.

Joel

Last edited by shandajoy : 02-12-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:49 AM

Smile 2/12 workout and cheat day

Today was the last day of the TT Hardcore program (except for some intervals tomorrow). I did the Day 5 workout. Here are the results.

Day 5
1A) BB Clean and Press (3x5): 135, 135, 115
1B) Ball Jackknife (3x10): 10, 10, 10
2A) DB Close Grip Press (3x8): 130, 130, 130
2B) BB Split Squat (3x8): 95, 95, 95
3A) Pullup (3x max): 8, 6, 5
3B) Dips (3x max): 15, 9, 6

The clean and press was tough. I got 5 on the first set at 135 lbs, but the 60 sec rest was too short for full recovery, so I only got 3 on the second set at 135 lbs, and I switched to 115 lbs for the third set and got the full 5 reps. I increased the pullup and dip numbers from the previous workout, although they are still pretty low because they are at the end of the workout. I was wiped out after this workout because I gave it my all, knowing this is the last time I would do it.

For nutrition this is my cheat day! Once a week I have a cheat day where I eat anything I want. I keep it reasonable as far as the amount of food consumed, but I will eat just about any type of food. This is a good break from the strict diet plan I folow the rest of the week, and it also charges up my metabolism big time. To take advantage of the increased metabolism, I always follow the cheat day with a no carb day or a fast day. With the metabolism jacked, on a fast day it's possible to burn 1 to 2 lbs of pure fat in a single day if you add in a really hard cardio type workout (or two). Fast paced DB or bodyweight circuits and intervals are good choices. I take 50 grams of BCAA throughout the fast day to preserve the muscle. This is a trick I learned from Vince DelMonte.

I'll check my progress on Sunday and update. Right now I hear some Cheez-Its calling my name...

Joel

Last edited by shandajoy : 02-12-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:04 PM

Default 2/13 Workout and nutrition

Today is my fast day. I'm taking high doses of BCAA to keep my body burning fat instead of muscle. I did a fast paced DB circuit followed by one of the BW circuits from TT Hardcore. I did the DB circuit 4 times and the BW circuit 2 times. I started doing intervals afterwards, but I didn't have the energy, so I stopped. Looking forward to my first meal at supper. It will be no carb. Just protein and fat.

Joel
Old 02-14-2010, 05:39 PM

Hey Joel, you're posts keep me motivated. It seems like you're on a mission and I admire that. I like to read your thread to remind me that I should be as good as you.

I'm also doing a fast today that ends tonight. So, I'm glad I'm not the only one...haha.

Regarding your comment about 2K10, here is my response:

I like 2K10. There are 5 workouts total but I think you will like it. BDHC is definitely a great choice too. I'm kinda excited to do that one again

My Blog - Fat Loss Strategies
Primal Fit Bootcamp, East Bay, CA

"You are only as happy as you make your mind up to be."
Old 02-14-2010, 10:53 PM

Hey Joel,
Good work on the threads and sounds like things are going well. I am doing BD HC and it is a good one. I like that it is a lower body day on A, upper body for B, and both on C.

Which brand of BCAA's are you using?

Jamie
Old 02-15-2010, 11:40 AM

Default 4 week Progress

I checked on my progress yesterday. My weight is down about 7 lbs total, although I'm not really interested in that number. More importantly, I lost another 1/2" on my waist this week. That puts me at 1-1/2" lost on my waist over the first 4 weeks. I didn't take any other measurements, but looking in the mirror, It looks like I'm losing fat around the middle without losing muscle anywhere on my body. In fact the muscle actually looks a little better because there is less fat hiding it. My abs are starting to peek out, which is good. In two weeks, which will be halfway through the contest for me, I'll take full measurements and pictures and post them here. I'm kind of anxious to compare.

Anna, I'm glad I can help modivate you. I look at other people's threads for motivation as well. Someone like you who's already in good shape and doing the contest just for accountability is plenty good motivation. The fast days aren't so bad. I just stay busy so I don't notice that I'm hungry. I started with one fast day every two weeks, and now for the next 4 weeks I'll do one every week. Then for the final 4 weeks, I'll do one every 5 days. Thanks for the advice on 2K10. I'm going to start that today.

Jamie, I use the "All The Whey" brand of BCAA (allthewhey.com), because that's where I get my protein (although I think they just started selling through distrubution, so it's not cheap on their site anymore). This is about the only BCAA that comes in a powder and is pure, with no additives. For fast days I don't want any calories, so I can't use BCAA that is mixed with other things, and I need a powder instead of pills because of how much I take on fast days. I got to warn you, this stuff tastes awful when you take it by itself. If you can hide it in a shake or smoothie, it's not bad, but by itself, it's awful.

Joel

Last edited by shandajoy : 02-16-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:26 AM

Default 2/16 workout and nutrition

I started TT 2K10 today. I did the Day 1 workout. Results are below.

Day 1
1A) Jump Squats (3x8): 8, 8, 8
1B) Decline Pushup (3x1< failure): 19, 15, 12
1C) WYT (3x8 each): 8, 8, 8

2A) BB Squat (3x8): 215, 205, 205
Crash Set (1x8): 155
2B) Stability Ball Ab Pike (3x8): 4, 4, 4

3A) 1-Leg Hip Extension (3x15/side): 12, 15, 12
3B) 1-Leg SB Leg Curl (3x10/side): 8, 10, 10
3C) SB Plank (3x45 sec): 30, 25, 25

4) KB Swings (10x40 sec): None

The first superset wasn't too bad, but the second one was tough. I was already somewhat tired from the first set, then the short rest squats really wore me out. I couldn't keep up the 215 lbs. I dropped down to 205 for the final two sets. The SB Pike was hard too. It seemed more of a balance issue than a fatigue issue. I got fairly high, but I felt like I was going to flip over, so I stopped at 4. I'll go for the full 8 next time. I didn't have time for the KB swings. I'll try to start earlier next time so I can get it all in. I was looking forward to really finishing myself off with those swings, so I'm disappointed I didn't get to do them. I was pretty wore out the way it was, so I guess it's ok this time. My shoulders, chest, and arms were pretty jacked at the end of the workout, so I guess those decline pushups got me more than I thought. I didn't really push it too hard on each individual set of declines, but I guess the combined 46 reps was enough. I will increase that number by at least 5 reps next week.

For nutrition I'm having a low GI day. I'm only partway through the day, but here's what it looks like so far.

Meal 1: Smoothie with skim milk, heavy whipping cream (for fat), chocolate protein powder, stawberries and blueberries.
Meal 2 (during and post-workout): Shake with orange gatorade powder, vanilla protein powder, maltodextrin (pure sugar), skim milk, water, BCAA, Glutimine. Tastes like orange creamcicle and charges up my muscles to get through the workout.
Meal 3: Pear, sliced ham, swiss cheese
Meal 4: Grilled Pork Loin and green peas
Meal 5: Whole wheat toast with peanut butter
Meal 6: Grilled chicked breast with green beans

Joel

Last edited by shandajoy : 02-17-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:16 AM

Default 2/17 workout and nutrition

Today was Day 2 of TT 2K10. The workout numbers are below.

1) DB 1-Arm Snatch (3x15 each side): 30, 30, 30

2A) DB Incline Press (3x8): 130, 130, 130
Crash set (1x8): 100
2B) DB CSR (3x12): 60, 70, 70
Crash set (1x8): 50

3A) Chinup with Knee-Up (3x12): 7, 4, 4
3B) Dips (3x1
4A) DB Curls (3x8): 70, 70, 70
Crash set (1x8): 50
4B) DB OH Triceps extension (3x12): 45, 45, 45
Crash set (1x8): 35
4C) DB Rear Deltoid Raise (3x10): 30, 30, 30

Starting off with high rep (90 total) one arm DB snatches really gets things revved up. I was sweating and already slightly fatigued before even starting the DB Incline Press. The workout went well. This is my idea of a good fat burning workout. A lot of big compound movements with relatively heavy weights with incomplete rest periods between supersets. I was pumped up and completely worn out after this one. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I had to sit down for 5 minutes in the locker room before taking my shower just to recover. I could practically feel my body soaking up the carbs in my post-workout drink. This workout could easily become a favorite of mine.

For nutrition, today is a high GI day. My meals are as follows.

Meal 1: Smoothie with skim milk, chocolate whey powder, frozen strawberries and blueberries.
Meal 2: (During and post workout): shake with skim milk, chocolate whey powder, dextrose (pure unrefined sugar), water, BCAA, and Glutimine
Meal 3: Oatmeal with vanilla whey powder and natural honey
Meal 4: Turkey roast with some potatoes and a little gravy.
Meal 5: Skipped this meal due to the larger than normal lunch
Meal 6: Fajitas with grilled chicken breast, peppers and onions, lettuce, whole wheat tortilla.

Joel

Last edited by shandajoy : 02-18-2010 at 10:24 AM.