TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 7th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 10:08 PM

Default Getting Lean (Joel)

My name is Joel, and I'm starting this contest a little late. I actually started 2 weeks ago on 1/18, and I took my before pictures on 1/16. I'm joining the contest with my wife under her TT account. I saw someone else do this in the past, so I hope it's ok. She will have her own thread as well. I decided to join the contest because my wife was joining, and because I have some fat to get rid of as well. I have never been very big, and although I spend a lot of time at the gym, most of it is spent trying to gain muscle, not lose weight. I was pretty lean last summer (about 9% body fat), but over the fall and winter I tried really hard to gain back some size and strength. I started out good, but quickly fell into the bad habit of eating junk. I gained 25 poinds over the last 5 months, and a lot of it was fat. Now it's time to get lean again. I would like to lose a lot of fat while maintaining the muscle I have worked so hard for. I'm using the following TT programs recommended by Craig for advanced lifters.

TT Hard Core Fat Loss
TT for BD and HC
TT Transformation

I have been following Craig for years and mixing in his programs with others from Vince DelMonte, Nick Nilson, Jeff Anderson, and others. I have always liked his style of program and the way he follows his own advice. Now we'll see if his programs can help me meet my goals in a transformation contest. I've seen it work amazing results in others, including my wife (who has been a finalist in 2 previous TT transformation contests), so I have no doubt it will work for me.

Joel

Last edited by shandajoy : 02-02-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:22 PM

Default Goals and Stats

Here are my starting stats and goals.

Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 185.7 lbs
Body Fat: 16.1% (Omron handheld anlalyzer)
Neck: 15"
Shoulders: 48.75"
Chest: 41.75"
Waist: 34.5"
Hips: 41.25"
Thigh: 22.75"
Calf: 15"
Arm: 15.5"

My goal is to lose a lot of fat without losing muscle, or even gaining muscle. I would like to end up at 170 lbs or higher with 10% BF or lower. This is pretty ambitious, but I'm going to work hard for it. My workouts and nutrition have to work together to preserve the muscle and burn the fat. For nutrition, I'm using a carb cycling method based on the "Cheat your Way Thin" program. I will be adding in strategicly placed fast days to enhance the fat burning, while taking BCAA to hold on to the muscles on fast days and low carb days. I will also be lifting heavy at least one day a week to maintain my strength and muscles. This works out well with the TT Hard Core because it has a heavy chest and back day leading off every week. I may also add in a couple heavy sets of big compound excercises before some of the higher rep days just to help hold onto the muscle. For the most part TT Hard Core seems perfect for my goals.

Joel

Old 01-31-2010, 10:40 PM

Default Workout numbers

I'm two weeks into the TT Hard Core program, and here's a breakdown of the workouts so far along with my starting weights for each excercise.

Day 1
DB Flat Press (3x6): 170 lbs (both DBs)
DB Row (3x6): 85 lbs (single DB)
DB Triple Press (3x6): 100 lbs (both DBs)
BB Row (3x10): 105 lbs
Deadlift (3x20): 135 lbs

Basketball at night.

Day 2
BB Complex (3 rounds): 85 lbs
Bodyweight circuit (2 rounds): Hope to get in 3 rounds by week 3

Day 3
BB Wide Squat (3x8): 205 lbs
Weighted Crunch (3x15): 60 lbs
BB Front Squat (3x8): 115 lbs
DB RDL (3x8): 100 lbs (both DBs)
Bodyweight Circuit (2 rounds): Hope to get 3 rounds by week 3

Day 4
Intervals
Stretching
Foam Roll

Day 5
BB Clean and Press (3x5): 125 lbs
Ball Jackknife (3x10)
DB Close Grip Press (3x8): 130 lbs (both DBs)
BB Split Squat (3x8): 95 lbs
Pullup (3x max): 7 reps
Dips (3x max): 9 reps

Whoever came up with the idea of adding a superset of pullups and dips to the end of this already brutal workout must have some previous experience in torture. You know who you are, Craig...

Day 6
Intervals
Stretching
Foam Roll

Day 7
Rest

Let's see how week 3 goes.

Joel

Old 02-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Glad you like it Joel!!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:00 AM

Smile 2/2 workout and nutrition

Finished up my Day 2 TT Hard Core workout for week 3 about 1-1/2 hours ago. My metabolism is still through the roof from the workout. If you keep the rest periods honest and use a challenging weight for the complexes (I used 95 lbs), that workout really gets the heart going. I can practically feel the fat melting off after that one!

For nutrition today I'm having one portion of protein, one portion of fat, and one portion of low GI carb (basically most fruits and all vegetables) for each meal/snack. This should still force my body to burn some body fat for fuel because of the slight calorie and carb deficit along with the intense workout.

I measured my waist yesterday, and I've lost 3/4" around the middle in the first two weeks. Sor far, so good.

Joel
Old 02-08-2010, 10:59 PM

Joel,
Just letting you know that I FINALLY started my own thread. Thanks for motivating me to start the contests again!

Shanda
Old 02-09-2010, 08:16 AM

Question

Hey there Joel. Just wondering what 'BCAA ' is. Thanks.

BTW, the weights you are using are awesome!

Cheers,

Robyn.

Loving Life, People, and our Amazing Creator.

My TT Blog/Thread - http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=7224
Old 02-09-2010, 10:09 AM

Hi Robyn,

Thanks for stopping by. BCAA is branch chain amino acid. It's basically broken down protein that's available for your body's use immediately. I use it with my workouts and on my fast days to keep my body from breaking down my muscle for energy when on a low carb/low calorie diet. It's been working pretty well so far. I've been burning fat without losing much muscle.

Joel

Last edited by shandajoy : 02-09-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:19 AM

Default 2/8 workout

Had a really good workout today. I switched the flat press to bench press so I can monitor my strength on this excercise. As long as I can hit 225 for 5 or 6 reps, I'm happy with my strength. I'll use this along with heavy squats throughout my transformation to benchmark my strength so I don't lose too much. This is my final week of TT Hardcore, so here are my final weights.

BB Bench Press (3x6): 225 lbs (6 reps on first set)
DB Row (3x6): 90 lbs (single DB)
DB Triple Press (3x6): 100 lbs (both DBs) - only got 5 reps of each on last set.
BB Row (3x10): 115 lbs
Deadlift (3x20): 135 lbs

Had a business trip last week that cut into the diet plan a little bit, but I did as good as I could. Still dropped 1/4" on my waist last week. This puts me at about 1" total off my waist in the first 3 weeks. I have a couple of events this week that I have to work around with my nutririon, but after that, I'm tightening up the diet for the rest of the contest.

Joel
Old 02-10-2010, 08:44 PM

Default 2/9 Workout

Did the Day 2 workout from TT Hardcore on Tuesday. Used 95 lbs for the barbell complexes and went through the BW circuit twice. Didn't have the time or energy to hit the third BW circuit. Got a pretty good sweat going with just two circuits anyways. The last set of burpies killed me. Nutrition is low GI today. One portion of protein, fat, and low GI carb with each meal. Had 7 meals today, including my workout shake (no fat in the shake). Last meal of the day (9 or 10 pm) has no carbs.

Joel