TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 7th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2010, 10:37 AM

Default The Journey of 30 lbs begins with...Non-competing supersets!

Well, I said I was going to give it a shot and I did. Although after lifting 4-6 days a week for 1.5 - 2.0 hours at a time for several years, the 20 minutes or so this morning seemed short. But I'm going to have faith...

Monday 1/11/10
Week 1 - Day 1 - Intermediate Level
Workout A
Warm-up:
By the book, 12,8,12 X 2

Warm-up superset:
DB Split Squat - 45's X 8/side
DB Incline Press - 45's X 8

1st Superset:
DB Split Squat - 60's X 8/side
DB Incline Press - 60's X 8
3 rounds

2nd Superset:
Stab. Ball Leg Curl X 15
Pushups X 15
3 rounds

3rd Superset:
Stab. Ball Jackknife X 20 (Been doing these for a while already @ 20/set)
DB Rear Delt Raise - 10's X 10 (That one was harder than I thought)
3 rounds

Intervals:
Stationary Bike - Level 5 resistance
4 min warm up - Start at level 1 and work up to Level 5
30 s hard
90 s easy
Repeat for 6 Interval rounds
5 min cool down - Maintain between 85 and 100 RPM, decreasing from 5 down to 1

Notes: Was breathing hard after supersets and could feel it in my legs. RT shoulder is still giving me trouble. Hope it's not a rotater cuff injury. Painful lifting DB's for press from knees but pressing motion was OK. Next bike interval I think I'll better control warm-up with RPMs. Had a decent sweat at the end (for me) more than after my usual 2 hour + work out (including intervals) Although in either case I think it comes from the intervals at the end. I guess I just don't sweat unless I'm running for a long duration.

Question: Better to set resistance and pedal harder for intensity or maintain RPM and increase resistance? Also, is a low resting heartrate the signal of a low metabolism? Until my Xmas diet relapse my RHR was consistently between 43 and 47 bpm (resting being flat on my back in bed before falling asleep.) Lately it has increased and I'm feeling warmer than usual.

Think that's it for now...
Old 01-11-2010, 12:11 PM

"Painful lifting DB's for press from knees but pressing motion was OK."

I have a problem getting my DBs up into position during the incline press. I received advice from a spotter at the gym to place the DBs on my knees and then push up with my legs effectively kicking the DB up and into place. Hope that helps.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:28 PM

Thanks but the pain comes in between the kick-up and the press. It's the first little bit of stabilization when the DB is still low on the body and you press it up that first time. Once the DB's are over head and under control the pressing motion is relatively painless as long as I don't go to far past 90 degrees at the elbow.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:36 PM

Maybe you are already, but instead of holding the DB's straight away from the body try them at 45 degrees and see if that helps.

"I either have the pain of discipline or the pain of regret...discipline weighs ounces but regret weighs tons"
Kudos to JP

Don't mind me, I just post to pad my numbers!
Old 01-12-2010, 02:38 PM

I haven't yet but that was the route I was going to take for the next go around. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2010, 03:07 PM

Tuesday 1/12/10
Week 1 - Day 2 - Intermediate Level

Sticking with the program as designed, today is 30 mins of light activity. Sleept in a little to long but still got to the gym around 5 AM. What a difference an hour makes in January!! Ususally I get there around 4 and there's only a few of us there (which is why I'm there so early) so when I got there today WHAMMO!! Parking lot was full and guess what?!! EVERY Cardio machine was full! Surprise, Surprise. Figures, the day I'm late and planned on using the machines just for some increased bloodflow and activity, they're all taken. No worries...

30 mins light activity:
10 mins of BW
Pull-ups/Chin-ups X 10
Push-ups X 10
Light weight behind the neck pull downs X 10
20 mins of steady state cardio on elliptical (only machine open!)

Notes: Definitely felt it in my quads and hams from yesterday which is a good sign. Means the weight I chose should be adequate for a while. No pain in shoulder during behind neck pull downs also seems like a good sign. Will play around with type/number of push-ups tomorrow as I couldn't really "feel it" in my chest after yesterday. Should be able to get 20 or better in. Took pictures last night so I can enter Transformation #7, what a blow to the ego. Looked at them compared to photos from May of 2009 and almost cried. Better make my goal 35 lbs...

Anyone out there practicing fasting? I have been for a while now but the jury is still out. 2-3 times a week.

Resting heartrate back down to 46 last night...
Old 01-12-2010, 03:28 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceball View Post
Tuesday 1/12/10

Sticking with the program as designed, today is 30 mins of light activity. Sleept in a little to long but still got to the gym around 5 AM. What a difference an hour makes in January!! Ususally I get there around 4 and there's only a few of us there (which is why I'm there so early) so when I got there today WHAMMO!! Parking lot was full and guess what?!! EVERY Cardio machine was full! Surprise, Surprise. Figures, the day I'm late and planned on using the machines just for some increased bloodflow and activity, they're all taken. No worries...

30 mins light activity:
10 mins of BW
Pull-ups/Chin-ups X 10
Push-ups X 10
Light weight behind the neck pull downs X 10
20 mins of steady state cardio on elliptical (only machine open!)

Notes: Definitely felt it in my quads and hams from yesterday which is a good sign. Means the weight I chose should be adequate for a while. No pain in shoulder during behind neck pull downs also seems like a good sign. Will play around with type/number of push-ups tomorrow as I couldn't really "feel it" in my chest after yesterday. Should be able to get 20 or better in. Took pictures last night so I can enter Transformation #7, what a blow to the ego. Looked at them compared to photos from May of 2009 and almost cried. Better make my goal 35 lbs...

Anyone out there practicing fasting? I have been for a while now but the jury is still out. 2-3 times a week.

Resting heartrate back down to 46 last night...
Tuesday 1/12/10

After the New Years Resolutions wear off, in a month or so, it should be a little quieter there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 03:41 PM

That's what I'm hoping for !!!!

Acountability is what's it's all about so here are some photos:

Last May: 169LBS 015(TT).jpg Yesterday: TT 008(WEB).jpg

Aye, ye, ye!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceball View Post
That's what I'm hoping for !!!!

Acountability is what's it's all about so here are some photos:

Last May: Attachment 3435 Yesterday: Attachment 3436

Aye, ye, ye!!!
Were you in a competition last May? Ya look pretty well ripped.......shouldnt take you long to get back that way, if that is your goal.........
Old 01-13-2010, 02:19 PM

No, no competition other than with myself. Thanks BTW. Here lies the rub. After Christmas LAST YEAR I gained some weight (see a recurring pattern?) so I challenged myself to get as lean as possible, the lowest weight I've ever been since JR High or earlier. My goal was 175 lbs. I started at 225 and got down to about 185-180 but couldn't bust the plateau. Then I tried Joel Marions CYWT diet and over a month or so got down to 169. I sent that picture to my Dad and his reply was that I looked "HAGGARD!" Here I am, all proud of what I had done and my own father who is also working out now BTW, tells me I'm haggard. Plus everyone else is telling me I look anorexic and that I need to eat. So I bought into it and under the guise of "eating to build muscle" put some weight back on. But not too much at the time. I got back to around 185 and stayed there until the holiday season this year. This more than anything makes me believe in the power of the right support group. Even at 169 lbs, I still had a HUGE roll of flab on my lower back. You can't see it in the picture but it's there. I'd sit down on a stationary bike or something, look over in the mirror and see this bulge on top of the waistband of my shorts jiggling away as I was pedaling. So it just emphasized the point that people who aren't on the same path, especially when it comes to fitness, are jealous and out to sabotoge those who are percieved as doing better than themselves. This time, I'm not going to let up until that roll is gone. And I'm not going to ask my for my Dad's opinion either!