TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 7th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2010, 10:28 PM

Default TT Transformation Workout A1

I started a new program today, TT Transformation, with an initial workout of 2 sets per exercise. It seemed like it took a long time to do the workout! I am concerned about the time it will take moving to 3 sets per exercise, so maybe I will stick with 2 sets if workouts B and C seem long too. After the warm-up and warm-up sets, I did the following:

Barbell squat 100lbs/8 x 2 sets
1-arm dumbell press (palms-in) 30lbs/8 x 2 sets

Dumbell reverse lunge (1 1/2 reps) 20lbsx2/10 reps x 2 sets
Stability ball plank 30s x 2
X-body mountain climber 12 each side x 2 sets

Dumbell RDL 25lbsx2/8 reps, 35lbsx2/8 reps
Chops 15 x 2
Stability ball jackknife (elbows on bench) 12 reps, 15 reps
Side plank 30s x 2 sets

Double burpees 8 reps x 2 sets

Stretched 5 min.

I was definitely tired at the end of the workout, but I think I can move up the weights the next time on almost everything, and extend my times on some of the endurance type exercises. I just don't like getting into the hour time range for the whole thing from warm-up, lifting, stretching and cool-down, because I just can't seem to get up before 6 am unless I go to bed...like now! I hate hate hate getting up in the pitch dark to workout. Somehow I feel that I work out harder knowing I only have two working sets, and I still seem to get as good results as far as strength, so maybe that's the answer for me!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:54 PM

Default TT Transformation B1

I did workout B for TT Transformation this morning, with 2 sets per exercise. I skipped the last super-set of biceps and triceps, because I'm not working those separately anymore, just through the chest and back exercises. After the warm-up and warm-up sets, I did the following:

Reverse grip pull-downs 160lbs/8 reps x 2 sets
Spiderman push-ups 20 x 2 sets
Repeated vertical jumps 10 x 2 sets

Dumbell chest press 37.5lbs/8 reps x 2 sets
Inverted row (back to bent leg variation to increase reps) 15 x 2

Dumbell chest-supported row 30lbs/8 reps, 30lbs/10 reps
Dumbell lateral raise 20lbs/8 reps, 20lbs/10 reps

Stretched 8 min.

Interval training tomorrow...and we're getting snow in central NC!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck1517 View Post
We stopped at Whole Foods on the way back from the museum today, and I picked up some wild rice and quinoa. We watched Food, Inc. last night. I think we're going to be eating a lot less meat...at least we usually buy organic grass fed beef, and organic chicken, but my husband and I were both disgusted by the animal treatment they showed and it really made us think about what else we can do to "vote" with our forks against the animal processing and agriculture conglomerates. I'm glad we can buy quality organic veggies in bulk and I want to do more meatless cooking from now on. I don't think I could ever go completely vegetarian but I don't eat too much meat now as it is, possibly once a day if that, and we can definitely that cut down.
Good for you on buying some Quinoa! I love the stuff and it is just as versatile as rice. It is high in protein, gluten free, and is low on the GI scale which is good. I love to cook it in chicken stock, add some chopped carrots, celery, green onion, then at the end add dried cranberries and sliced almonds and parsley.

I have also had it for breakfast like oatmeal. Cook it in water the night before. Scoop out a 1/2 cup, sprinkle some cinnamon and pumpkin seeds, some blueberries and a touch of organic maple syrup. I have also added some organic cocnut ribbons (non-sweetened) and it is amazing. Lots of textures and crunch!

Have a great weekend and maybe try some amranth or millet...

Jamie
Old 01-30-2010, 03:44 PM

Default Saturday Interval workout

Thanks for the tips, Jamie, and other whole grain suggestions! I eat oatmeal with ground flax seeds for breakfast on my non-weight workout days, so quinoa would be good for a change. I keep wondering when I am going to get sick of oatmeal, but maybe I've lasted so long because it's not every morning. I made a black bean soup and served it with wild rice this past week and that was yummy!

I am continuing to split up intervals and weights on most days because of morning time constraints. This morning I did shuttle runs, 20s running, 40s recovery, 8x. I am thinking, 40 seconds is NOT enough time for recovery for me so I may need to up it! I need about a minute to get my HR back down to about 130 after getting up to HR 160 on the shuttle runs.
Otherwise I'm seeing HR 170 on the later intervals, which is a bit high.

That shuttle running reminded me of the suicides I used to run after basketball practice-nausea and everything! My legs are already sore from it, so I had to warm-up and do some foam rolling this afternoon to hopefully reduce the time I stay sore. I will do it again, though I was running up and down the upstairs hallway-unfortunately not possible early in the am or at night when my daughter is sleeping!

We have 5 inches of snow in central NC with more on the way tonight. I have to go pick up my daughter from a friend's house in 20 minutes. I specifically picked to live in NC to avoid this kind of weather...brr! At least it's only once a year or so that we get any snow accumulation.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:53 PM

Default Go away, snow!

Maybe it's being cooped up in the house because of the snow, but I'm finding I'm eating more than I should! Not junk food really, just food in general. I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning's workout C of TT Transformation, and hope my legs are not too sore from shuttle runs this morning.

I am really starting to get curious about my bone density. I think it must be abnormally high, or else I just have a crazy amount of dense muscle tissue, because I seem to outweigh women with similar body circumference measurements by at least 20-25 lbs. My lats, chest and shoulders are pretty wide, so probably that's why.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:35 AM

Great work sticking with the workouts which you seem to be pushing quite hard with all the foam rolling and talk of soreness. good job! I need to get to that soreness point more.
And that's awesome that you're motivating coworkers and family members to get healthier by working out.
Keep up the great work!
I'm going to look up that navy method of body fat that you mentioned.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:21 PM

Default TT Transformation Workout C1

Thanks, Violet! I'm trying to talk to anyone (family, friends, co-workers) who is interested about what I've been doing with my fitness program. When I was in grad school I seriously considered quitting my PhD program and studying to become a personal trainer. I got away from that for a while, but I finally feel like I'm back on track enough to try to motivate others. In fact my husband just admitted to me today that since he's started keeping a workout journal (with my encouragement-which went something like,"How can you live like that-or how can you remember what you did last time???" mainly because I have a defective memory, I always need a notebook!), he's been working out more regularly and challenging himself more by upping weights or doing harder versions of exercises.

We both leave our notebooks in the bonus room where the workout equipment is, so he doesn't want me looking in his workout log and seeing he's been slacking. Hey-it's social support! We always are most consistent in our workouts when we are both working out and can encourage each other (or watch our daughter while the other person works out). Though I prefer not to work out at the same times because I don't like to share or have to work around anyone. That's why I have to work out at home and not at a gym. But I have been talking to him about new exercises too that he can add into his programs, like inverted rows. I love those!

Anyway, I did my first workout C of TT Transformation this morning. I liked it a lot! Till I got to the squat thrusts. Let's just say I will work my way up to 8 sets. Ow! Maybe with 30-45s rest between sets, I could get through all the sets. The other timed intervals weren't bad, though.

After warm-up, I did:

Barbell deadlifts 95 lbs/10, 105lbs/10
Stability ball pike 10 reps x 2 sets

Dumbell split squat 35lbs/10reps x 2 sets
Decline close grip pushup 25 reps x 2 sets

Dumbell row 35lbs/10 reps x 2 sets
1 leg stability ball leg curl

Timed intervals:
Squat thrusts 20s work/10s rest x 4 sets
Front squats 20s/10s rest x 8 sets
Calf jumps 10 jumps/10s rest x 8 sets

Stretched and foam roller 10 min.

I normally would not do the intervals back to back like I ended up doing shuttle runs yesterday and the timed intervals today, but the next two days are my light days and I have lots going on at work, so I should have plenty of time for recovery. Which I am going to need, my quads are pretty tender when I use the roller. It really is my best friend! Honestly, I don't know how I could get along without it, especially with sore outer quads.

Still snow on the ground though we had melting today...which will refreeze in the 20 degree night. My mom is from upstate NY and lives down here in NC now, and she went out to Target. She said she saw only a handful of cars out on the road. That's what it's like down here. Back in NY, we would get three times the snow we got and still have school the next morning. Here, it snows 6 inches Friday and Monday school is already cancelled. Crazy!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:29 PM

Default Navy body fat method calculator

The link I use for that is here:

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

I just noticed this is kind of a weird web site. I only use the body fat calc there, none of the paranormal or psychic stuff!

I don't know how accurate this method is compared to other methods, but all you need is a measuring tape and when it comes to measurement method, I don't think it matters too much. The basic thing is to get some baseline body fat number, and see go down over time. I personally don't get too excited over my lean body mass fluctuating half a pound or so from week to week (I do measurements every 2 weeks), as long as I'm seeing a weight drop during that time and my measurements are decreasing indicating fat loss.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 PM

Default Fun activity Monday

We're all a bit under the weather in our house, and due to icing/school delays in NC, I worked at home today. I just wish my daughter and I could kick this cold we have! If I'm not being woken up by her coughing in the middle of the night, it's my own coughing waking me up. I hate sleeping with a cough drop in my cheek, but what can you do? My husband is over his fever, which I thought I was going to get too, but fortunately not yet.

Despite that, I was able to get in 30 minutes on the recumbent bike while playing a video game. It's not strenuous, HR 120-125, but it is fun. Then I stretched because I'm still sore, I think from the deadlifts yesterday.

Tomorrow is going to be another light day (day 7 of week 1 of TT Transformation), which is good because it's sales kickoff week for my division. Which means eating out tomorrow night...I am going to be careful about my choices, though.

Happy workouts, everyone!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:49 AM

Smile

Hey Shannon

I like the reference to suicide runs. I think they should change the name to homicide runs, because i would rather kill someone after doing them than myself. I did a lot of running and intervals like this to train for my first marathon. I hated every minute of it, but it did wonders to my running times, pace and breathing.

Keep up the good work.

Hey don't stress out to much about eating out. You know whats right and wrong so you will do fine.

* Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer.