TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 7th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 12:19 AM

That's the way, get right back on the horse, put your slip up behind you,
it's history.......

Cheers
Ma
Old 01-14-2010, 07:28 PM

Default Workout Updates

On Tuesday, I did interval workout B, with a warmup and cooldown, and 45 seconds of working time for each exercise below and 60 s rest inbetween:

Kneeling pushup 33
Jump squat 38
prone cross-toe touch 30
lunge jump 32
lateral ski jumps 58
explosive step-ups 24

Followed by 15 minutes stretching and foam rolling.

I took Wednesday off but I walked about 20 minutes outside. I've been taking the stairs every morning for several months and when I walk back after lunch. It doesn't kill me anymore to walk up the 4 flights of stairs!

This morning I did my third workout A from Booty for Life. I was able to get a pair of 5 lb weights to have the right combinations to make my 32.5 lb dumbells, so now I'll be able to go up in smaller increments as needed. I have hex dumbells up to 35's and a pair of 50's, so I can make 32.5, 37.5s, 42.5, and 47.5s from my dumbell bars and plates if needed, and use platemates to get to the 40's. That is assuming I need those weights eventually-but at least I have no excuses for not raising the weights up over 35s.

dumbell split squats 32.5lbsx2/8 reps x 3 sets
stability ball leg curl 15 x 3

dumbell step-up 5lbsx2/8 reps x 3 sets
plank 60s x 3 sets

stability ball jackknife 12 x 3
stability ball rollout 12 x 3

Foam roller and stretched 12 min

I'm looking forward to the weekend! I'll be using it to get in some good workouts and time with my family. My cold finally seems to be fading, so I hope it's almost gone. It was even 55 degrees in NC today, so maybe this weekend will be a good one for outdoor activities.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:28 AM

Default Booty for Life Workout Updates

I did an elliptical version of interval workout B on Thursday night, following the workout A weight workout I did in the morning that day, because Friday morning my husband was leaving early I was doing the preschool dropoff. It's always a challenge to get up, get the workout done and get showered before my daughter wakes up, and so it was good to be able to double up and then take the next morning off from workouts.

I'm finding it's hard to get my heart rate up in the 45s interval on my elliptical trainer now, even on the high incline and high resistance settings, so I'm saving those workouts for times when I just need some variety and am not in the mood for exercise (e.g., pushups, dumbell swings, plyo) intervals.

This morning I did my third workout C of Booty for Life. After warmup, I performed the exercises:

assisted pullup 8 reps x 3 sets (feet elevated to make it harder)
full pushups 30, 20, 20 reps

wide grip seated row 155lbs/8 reps x 3 sets
dumbell chest press 37.5 lbsx2/8 reps x 3 sets

bodyweight row (straight legs) 8 reps x 3 sets
incline dumbell press 35 lbsx2/6 reps, 35 lbsx2/8 reps x 3 sets

This was a hard workout! I was glad that I got up early to eat breakfast before the workout. I was not sure if I was going to be able to do all the reps for the bodyweight row and incline dumbell press. The first set was the hardest on those incline presses, I think because I was still recovering from the previous superset, but I should be able to get all the reps next time.

I stretched upper body and used the foam roller afterwards for 10 min. I'm saving my interval workout for tomorrow morning, and will take Monday morning off workouts. I think it's going to be a quiet day in the office so I should be able to get some work done.

Yesterday, one of my co-workers said that I was looking skinny and asked if I had lost weight. I have been talking to her about weight training because she is in good shape but keeps saying she wants to lose more weight. I keep telling her that weight is not the important measure, and she should hit the weights heavy to get results and stay away from the spinning and toning classes she usually does. I told her about TT, and she has been reading about strength training and is starting to get the picture. I've finally convinced my husband to start keeping a weight training journal, and I've also been talking to my parents, who have done some weight training in the past and recently moved into a neighborhood with a nice fitness center. Fortunately it has free weights in addition to machines!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:13 AM

Default Interval Workout A

I went back to the plyometrics type exercises for intervals this morning and it was a lot better workout. My heart rate was around a max of 150-160 during the hardest parts, which is where I like to see it!

After warmup, I did 30s per exercise with no rest (2 min total work time), 1 min walking between circuits for recovery (got my heart rate down to 125), and did each circuit 3x

Circuit 1-hopscotch (15s per leg), alternating traveling lunge, prone cross toe touch, dumbell swing (12 lb weight)
Circuit 2-traveling squat to side (15s per leg), explosive step-up (8 inch step), mountain climber, squats

Cool-down 5 minutes elliptical, 10 minutes foam roller and stretching.

Now it's time to finally get the holiday decorations down, and get the laundry put away!

Happy Sunday, all!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:21 AM

Hey doing great there...
But back to reality, there's always laundry waiting for us...LOL

Cheers
Ma
Old 01-19-2010, 10:45 PM

Default Workout Updates

This morning I did Booty for Life workout C. After a warmup I did:

dumbell squat 37.5lbsx2/10 reps x 3 sets
side plank 25s each side x 3 sets

dumbell rear delt raise 35lbsx2/8 reps x 3 sets
stability ball hip ext 15 x 3

Bulgarian split squat 30lbs/8 reps x 2 sets

Stretched and foam roller 8 min.

Tonight, I did Interval workout B, with a warmup and cooldown, and 45 seconds of working time for each exercise below and 60 s rest inbetween:

Hopscotch
Kneeling pushup
Lateral ski jump
Lunges
Side squat
Prone cross-toe touch

Followed by 20 minutes stretching and foam rolling.

Tomorrow I think I'm going to take the morning off!
Old 01-23-2010, 12:46 PM

Default Last week of Booty for Life!

Thursday I did my fourth workout A from Booty for Life in the morning. After a warmup:

dumbell split squats 35lbsx2/8 reps x 3 sets
stability ball leg curl 15 x 3

dumbell step-up 5lbsx2/8 reps x 3 sets (still focusing on not using the back leg at all)
plank 60s x 3 sets

stability ball jackknife 12 x 3
stability ball rollout 12 x 3

Foam roller and stretched 5 min

In the evening, I did Interval Workout A:

After warmup, I did 30s per exercise with no rest (2 min total work time), 1 min walking between circuits for recovery, did each circuit 3x

Circuit 1-lateral ski jump, lunge with overhead reach, prone cross toe touch, box jump

Circuit 2-rope jumping, explosive step-up (8 inch step), mountain climber, dumbell swing (15 lb weight)

Cool-down 5 minutes elliptical, 5 minutes foam roller and stretching.

I took Friday off workouts, but did some aerobic grocery shopping. BJs, Sam's and Walmart in an hour and 15 minutes, including transit time. Last night I watched the pilot of Caprica again while I cooked-got some Arroz Con Pollo going in the crock pot, made black bean soup, and had a complete failure at vegetable and cheese chowder. Just FYI, 75% fat free cheese-not a good ingredient for a chowder which needs cheese as an ingredient. It melted...into a huge glob of cheese which would not dissolve in the slightest. Oh well, 2/3 ain't bad when you consider my cooking.

I'm excited for Caprica the series to officially start, even though I know it will not be like the new BSG, it's the closest there will be. In case it isn't obvious why my login is what it is...I regard Starbuck from the new BSG series to be a role model for my fitness journey. For me, she is one of my ultimate examples of "Train as if it's your job" and an example of a woman who gets taken seriously in part because of her strength.

For people who haven't seen that show, there are a lot of kick-ass women leaders in it, and they're not seen as exceptional. It's just expected that they are as tough as the men, and even when they're not stronger, they can be smarter (or crazier) or more driven than some of the men. Stereotypes about women have changed tremendously in this country over the past century...but we're not quite there yet in terms of women being casually treated as physical and mental equals quite like in that show.

Just so no one misunderstands what I am saying. I don't believe men and women are "the same" nor should anyone think they are. There just are a lot of stereotypes out there that both men and women have to deal with regarding work and home roles and fitness that can be difficult to reconcile. I have a PhD and I have been a stay at home mother, and also have been the major breadwinner for my family. I have a husband who does housework and has been a stay at home dad and is currently in school. I have a job where I have to get a lot of people moving in the right direction by prodding, motivating, charming, and sweetly strong-arming when needed. So I appreciate having role models who are driven and compelled towards a mission, whether it's fitness for survival or purpose in life.

And also, the new BSG soundtracks by Bear McCreary kick ass as workout music!
Old 01-23-2010, 01:12 PM

Default Final Workout B

This morning I did Booty for Life Workout B and Interval workout B. I realized I missed recording my last workout B so I'll include them both here.

After a warmup I did:

Assisted pullups 8 x 3 / 8 x 3
Pushups 30, 20 x 20 / 25, 20 x 2

Wide grip seated row 155lbs x 8 x 3 sets / 160 x 8 reps x 3 sets
Dumbell chest press 37.5lbs x 8 x 3 sets / 37.5 x 8 x 3 sets

Bodyweight row 8 x 3 / 8 x 3
Incline dumbell press 35 x 8 x 3 sets / 35 x 8 x 3 sets

After this morning's workout I did interval workout B:
Warmup 5 min

45s working intervals alternating with 60s rest:

Hard Intervals
Squats
Lunges
Side squat
Hopscotch
Lateral ski jump
Explosive step-up

I cooled down and did stretching and foam roller for 8 min.

I am getting excited to switch programs. I think the optimum time for me to follow the same program seems to be 2-3 weeks. After that I get bored with the exercises and want to do something different! I think I may try a workout with more olympic lift type exercises next. I like those, and feel my front shoulders are getting a bit too much work in this current plan, or at least they're starting to look larger to me.

I've been checking my weight and measurements every two weeks, and here are today's numbers for the 4 week mark (compared to starting numbers, in inches). I'm definitely making progress towards my goals! My goal weight for the transformation contest is 155 lbs, which if I don't lose any lean tissue would put me around 25% body fat. I may need to do the next contest to go further to my ultimate goal, which would be 140 lbs, 17.5% bodyfat. I've been smaller than that before, but not with so much muscle, so we'll see what's possible. Good nutrition has been the key, with workouts second so far.

164 lbs (-6)
Body fat (Navy method) 28.9 (-2.5%)
BMI 27.8 (-1.0)
Chest 38 (same)
Hips 39.75 (-0.75)
Smallest waist 29 (-1)
Upper leg 23.75 (-0.5)
Calf (R) 15.5 (-0.25)
Upper arm 12.25 (-0.25)
Old 01-24-2010, 07:07 PM

Default Tried Quinoa for the first time tonight!

We stopped at Whole Foods on the way back from the museum today, and I picked up some wild rice and quinoa. We watched Food, Inc. last night. I think we're going to be eating a lot less meat...at least we usually buy organic grass fed beef, and organic chicken, but my husband and I were both disgusted by the animal treatment they showed and it really made us think about what else we can do to "vote" with our forks against the animal processing and agriculture conglomerates. I'm glad we can buy quality organic veggies in bulk and I want to do more meatless cooking from now on. I don't think I could ever go completely vegetarian but I don't eat too much meat now as it is, possibly once a day if that, and we can definitely that cut down.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:16 PM

Default Finally done with Booty for Life!

I did my last workout C last night. I was so glad I did work out then, instead of waiting for this am, because my daughter woke up coughing at 5 am and coughed on and off for an hour and half while I tried to sleep. Hopefully this will be a better night because I'm planning an am workout tomorrow!

Anyway, last night was the final workout C of Booty for Life. Did I mention that already? I guess I am a little excited about that, and ready to move on to another program-I'm not going to go straight on to the advanced Booty for Life. In my workout notebook I can fit four weeks of weight workouts A B and C in 2 open pages, two columns/weeks per page. I think my optimum time for a program is three weeks, for some reason I just hate that last week of a routine. But with the notebook set up I have, just have to suck it up and finish the last week, I guess.

After a warmup I did:

dumbell squat 37.5lbsx2/10 reps x 2 sets
side plank 30s each side x 3 sets

dumbell rear delt raise 35lbsx2/8 reps x 3 sets
stability ball hip ext 15 x 3

Bulgarian split squat 20lbs/8 reps x 2 sets

Stretched and foam roller 10 min.

I skimped on the dumbell squat and split squat sets in this one compared to last time. I feel like my legs are getting quite muscular enough, so I may continue to drop down the sets for legs, especially on some of these intensive quad exercises.

Tonight I did Interval workout B again, this time on a recumbent bike, with a warmup, then 6 hard intervals (45s, HR 145+, level 15+) alternating with recovery intervals (60s, level 9, goal to have HR down to 120 or so by the end) and a cooldown, followed by stretching and foam rolling of my very tired quads. The bike was pretty good, I don't use it much anymore but once in a while variety it's nice to use.

I am either going to do TT Transformation next, or else try to find the podcast where Craig described another workout that had hang clean and push press, some of those types of exercises. I listened to it last weekend so I know it's still on my iPod, but this is the only bad thing about his podcasts being so packed with info, sometimes it takes me time to relocate the info I want.

Happy workouts, everyone!