TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 21st Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Nice planning, have fun, stay consistent!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:33 AM

Welcome to the forum.
It's great you decided to start now

You can still eat on plan while eating out. Don't be afraid to ask how something is prepared.
Shawn
Old 08-27-2014, 05:01 PM

Hope you are being a good girl! (and having fun)
"She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks."Proverbs 31:17
Old 09-02-2014, 08:39 PM

Unhappy Charlie...

So, it has been over a week since I last wrote, as I was on vacation in Canada with a limited international data plan. The week did not turn out as planned, as my amazing dog Charlie (my Bally the Dog) took a turn for the worse while in Montreal, and at over 14 years of age, we had to put him to sleep. I cannot tell you how grateful I was at this difficult time to have my TT workouts at the ready to relieve some stress, and yet they were doable (i.e., limited/no equipment and not too long) for someone who didn't have much energy (I was up the first few nights with Charlie while he was sick). Thank you, Craig, for HWR. I didn't lose weight on vacation, but I didn't gain any either AND I fit in all of my workouts, which, given the circumstances, is a WIN in my book. Below is the tribute I wrote about Charlie. As someone without children, I can honestly say he was more "son" than "pet" to me and this is a true loss to me. Now I'm home, back on track (great nutrition day and got in my 30+ minutes of activity), back to journaling here about my Transformation, and trying to figure out life post-dog, a life I haven't known since my last year of law school in 1999...

It is with profound sadness that I write to let you know about the passing of Charlie – my beloved Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, companion and best friend– on Tuesday, August 26, 2014. Charlie made his journey to his next life peacefully, with Ryan and me at his side, in beautiful Montréal, Canada. He was 14 years and almost 2 months old, or in “people years,” nearly 100.

Montréal is “a ways” (as they say in the South) from Charlie’s hometown of Oneonta, Alabama, where I was fortunate enough to pick him up out of a baby crib at Autumnsanz Cavaliers in September 2000 and bring him home to be my “son.” Charlie was my wedding gift, a gift I requested in lieu of the set of pearls that was the tradition in my ex’s family. Charlie was the best gift that I have ever received, giving back more love and happiness than I ever could have imagined.

From the moment Charlie entered my life, he exuded cuteness and charm, traits he carried with him to his final day, when an unknown woman at our hotel in Montréal asked to take his picture because he was so adorable. Charlie had a way with women, of whom he was particularly fond, and he always managed to charm females into giving him lots of love. I imagined his pick-up line went something like this: “Ladies, ladies. I am cute. I am single, and I love a good chick flick.” He left out the part that he was a member of the lifelong unemployed club and still lived at home with his “mama”...

Charlie was also a master sous chef, and as I became more of a chef myself, he always stood nearby in the kitchen, waiting at the ready to taste any drop of food that might fall to the floor to ensure that I was using the highest quality ingredients. He spent most of his days, months and years living up to the reputation of his breed – warming laps, chillaxing, and always greeting you at the door with a wag and a smile.

When I first met Ryan, I realized that Charlie thought I was not only his mom but also his girlfriend, and he managed to make his way in between Ryan and me on the couch when we started dating. When Ryan and I moved in together in 2012 shortly after the death of my wonderful Cavalier Katie, his relationship with Ryan changed, and Ryan became his male mentor and best buddy. The two spent many hours in their “man cave” together, hanging out, and I imagine sipping on whiskey, smoking cigars and discussing politics.

In 2007, the cardiology vet told me that Charlie’s heart was seriously enlarged and that he didn’t have long do live, recommending that I put him on experimental medicine as part of a study. Because we humans have inbred the wonderful Cavalier King Charles Spaniel breed, they all get a horrible heart disease called Mitral-Valve Disease (if they live long enough), and as a result, they only live to an average age of 9 or 10. I knew that Charlie’s big heart was his most valuable asset, however, and I refused to make him a science experiment. Seven years later, he was still going strong.

And then he wasn’t. Ryan and I chose to vacation in Montréal and Québec City so that we could drive there and bring Charlie along. They are beautiful cities, and I spent Charlie’s last morning with him, doing one of his favorite activities – sitting on a balcony and watching the activity below. His last sunrise over the St. Lawrence River was amazing (picture attached), and at that moment, I could tell that Charlie had decided that Montréal was the perfect city from which to say au revoir. My hope is that he was greeted at the Pearly Gates by Katie, who told him not to worry because in Heaven there are lots of treats, lots of ladies, many licks and pets, and my dad waiting for him with a warm lap and a “you’re a good dog, Charlie.” Charlie was greatly loved and he will be greatly missed.

I would be remiss not to take this opportunity to thank those of you who showered Charlie with love over the years, particularly helping me care for him after I moved to DC, including: Diana Leirvik and my mom – Charlie’s “grandmothers” (who babysat him and spoiled him with – ah hem – treats like bacon, ice cream and cheesy fish crackers…); Macrui Dostourian, Barb Dasenbrock, Bob and Bunny Gardiner and Doug Norris (who were always willing to lend a helping hand); Tails of the City (whose reliable daily walks since 2006 kept Katie and Charlie in top shape); Chad (without whom I may never had made Charlie’s acquaintance); Mary Manton (who enabled Charlie’s first visit to the beach); my bosses and colleagues at work (who have always been so understanding when I needed to tend to Charlie); Dr. Jerar Derminasyan (the wonderful veterinarian at the Westmount Animal Hospital in Montréal who made Charlie’s last moments so calm and peaceful); and most importantly, to Ryan (whose friendship and love I am sure kept Charlie over the past few years). To all of you, and to the many others who were part of Charlie’s life over the years, I am truly grateful.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:56 PM

Kathleen-I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet Charlie. Our animals do become dear to us like family. I'm glad to hear that you are taking care of yourself. Leslie
"She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks."Proverbs 31:17
Old 09-03-2014, 08:02 AM

Default Another great HWR workout this morning...

Completed Day 2 of Week 2 - the 300 Bodyweight Challenge. I started to do the Optional workout (Ladders of T Push-ups and Bodysaws), but wow, I got down to about 5 reps (starting at 8) and I was toast. Surprisingly, my fiance Ryan joined me for the 5:15 a.m. workout wake-up call. Today is his last day as a free man before starting a new job tomorrow, and he had told me he didn't want to get up and workout so early on the final day he could sleep in. But just as I was about to start the workout, he came into our workout room - he was pumped to do the workout because he is enjoying them so much. Short, intense, effective but manageable. We ended up substituting DB Rows for the Bodyweight/TRX Rows, and did the rest of the workout as written. Finished in 12 minutes, 56 seconds - the 40 Close-Grip Push-ups got the best of both of us and slowed it down. I'm looking forward to seeing progress as the weeks pass.

I guess I never fully introduced myself, by the way, so I will give my vital stats now! My real name is Kathleen (not Rockstar . I live just outside Washington, DC and have a very stressful Executive position at a large federal agency. When I took my Day 1 stats, here is what they indicated. I will note that I weighed myself this morning (almost a week later), and I have lost 1 pound - not insignificant since I was on vacation and lost my dog last week.

Height: 5'8 1/2"
Weight (Day 1): 141.2
Ideal Weight: 125-130 range (125 is my marathon "fighting" weight but in reality, I am a little too skinny then; 130 is a better goal for me for the Transformation)
Waste: 30"
Hips: 37 3/8"
Thigh: 22"
Calf: 14 1/8"
Chest: 35 3/4"
Shoulders: 40 5/8"
Arm: 10 3/8"
Neck: 12 5/8"
Transformation Program: 12-Week Home Workout Revolution

Other key points about me: I love dogs (always have, always will). I'm a recovering marathoner - run a bunch, including qualifying for and running in the 2010 Boston Marathon. I've also completed a Half Ironman. I've had 2 knee surgeries on my right knee (one from a tennis injury, one from P90X...), so I am probably hanging up my full marathon hat and looking to increase my speed in shorter races. I'm engaged to an amazing man Ryan with whom I've lived for the past 2 years. I've been following Craig for years because I truly appreciate the thought and research behind his writings and programs, but this is my first challenge - I signed up once or twice before and never really started.

Have a great day, everyone! Looking forward to some unplanned activity tomorrow and Friday and doing Workout 3 on Saturday when I have more time to add in the Strength and Muscle Accelerator and the Optional workout.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:23 AM

Hi Kathleen, welcome on board. I am sorry to hear about your loss, I too have lost a few dogs in my life. They really do become part of the family.

I had great success with the 12 week HWR in the 18th contest. I think from memory I added strength and muscle accelerators before each workout from week 6. I also account the programs used for the athleticism gained in the transformation contest which helped set me on the journey I am now on, exploring strength through range of motion with my own bodyweight.

Good luck, I look forward to following your progress through the transformation contest. Craig.

Nutrition log
Workout Journal
Old 09-03-2014, 02:50 PM

Welcome Kathleen. You are off to a great start. Look forward to your success. Great news that Ryan is joining you. Helps to have a supportive partner. Hope his job goes well. Sorry for your loss. Concetta
Old 09-04-2014, 08:10 AM

Hi Kathleen,
I am sorry to hear about Charlie. Hang in there
Thanks for stopping by my thread. We are all in this together
You have been doing awesome!
You really are a Rockstar
Old 09-04-2014, 11:11 AM

Arrow Why HWR is great and it has nothing to do with exercise...

So into my second week of HWR, and I have realized some really important reasons why the past year has been a relative failure when it comes to my health and wellness journey.

Since 1997, I have been a consistent and devout exerciser, often to the extreme. For example, within a 3-week span a few years ago I ran the Boston Marathon, completed a Half Ironman, and was part of a relay team doing a 2-day, 200-mile run. If I wasn't working out long and hard, I didn't feel like I was working out at all. The following year, with that mindset, I embarked on P90X (with Ryan), and completed 90 days of working out 60-90 minutes, 6 days per week. The result? I lost a few pounds, had killer abs, but was worn out, had let a lot of my social life drop and I had tweaked my knee during the program, resulting in a meniscus tear, surgery, and months in rehab (it was my second injury to that same knee - the first was an ACL tear).

The year after my surgery (2013), I went hard hitting into running again and completed 6 half marathons (as well as other races) during the year. Work stress increased dramatically in 2013, and my father's health declined (he ended up passing away in December), and despite my consistent and voluminous running, I gained some weight, lost energy, and was basically feeling crappy.

The all-or-nothing attitude and the quest for fitness perfection defined my 2014 thus far, resulting in lots of frustration in not losing the 10 pounds I had gained over the prior year, and adding a few more despite the fact I was still doing intense workouts almost daily.

Enter Transformation Contest #21. Ryan, my fiance, is starting a new job this week requiring lots of travel, and he wanted to get back on the workout bandwagon with me after nearly a year of "taking it easy." Because I knew he'd be traveling a lot and have limited time and access to equipment, I decided to do the Home Workout Revolution for the challenge, rather than a more "extreme" program, which would be my natural tendency. In just 13 days on the program, I realize I couldn't have made a better choice FOR ME, and I finally understand WHY over the past few years my weight has not gone in the right direction, despite my incessant exercising.

It all goes back to something that Craig has said for years - that the top factors in weight loss are nutrition and social support - NOT exercise. When I was packing in 1-2 hours of workouts into an already crammed and stressful day, I didn't have as much time to plan and prepare healthy meals for the day, to spend socializing and interacting with others to get that social support (or to even visit this Forum to get the support virtually). My focus on the third most important factor in weight loss did not enable me to focus on the most important factors. Additionally, because I looked at completing specified workouts each day as MUST DOS rather than GET TO DOS, exercising actually increased my stress level and cut into the time I should have been spending recovering and SLEEPING, another critical factor in weight loss success according to numerous studies.

Now, because I only have pre-defined workouts 3 days per week that generally take 30 minutes or less, it opens up a new world to me. A world in which I can spend time preparing healthy meals, focusing on social support, creating stress-reducing routines, AND - for the days when an HWR workout is not prescribed, doing fun activities that I GET TO DO rather than MUST DO. This morning is a perfect case in point. Normally, I would get up at 4:30 every morning to try to fit in an hour workout and get ready for work. Today was an "off" day for HWR, however, and I plan on doing some form of fun activity this evening, so I slept in a little (5:15), got up and made a healthy salad for lunch before leaving for work. More sleep, less stress, healthy meal planning, short but effective workouts = Better chance of reaching my goals.

In the end, I think those of us who have had lots of success in athletics at some point in our lives need to give ourselves a break and treat ourselves with care and understanding. Times change. Priorities change. Life changes. That doesn't make us better or worse, it just makes us human. I may not be able to run a 3:30 marathon or qualify for Boston ever again, and that's OK. You do the best you can with where you are and what you've got, and sometimes, given the hand life deals you, doing less is doing more.

And that's my HWR lesson for the week.

Last edited by Rockstar : 09-04-2014 at 11:14 AM.