TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 21st Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2014, 12:41 PM

Love the tangent. My son just entered 8th grade, and I'm shaking my head with amusement at what must go on in Health class.

For heaven's sake get out a calendar and schedule your training, and of course the deadline for the contest.

I'm requiring all of my clients to do their photos by 11/15/14 at the latest.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the tips and encouragement

So far this week since there's no kids, I've been sneaking home at lunch to get my workouts in. Have been staying on track. Day 2 of Iron Core was awesome. Timed workouts are always good for myself to keep pushing.

I'm wondering what the verdict is on dips? I don't have a dip bar, so used to do chair dips... When I started getting shoulder problems, it was one of the workouts that I was cautioned against doing as I've read some literature that says they're hard on your shoulders. Not sure if chair dips and bar dips are in the same category? I've swapped out with TRX extension though.....
Old 08-28-2014, 02:23 PM

Dips: I used to do them, but I stopped because of the buzz I heard on the fact that they might cause shoulder issues.

I'm not all that up on this area, but as far as I remember, I haven't seen dips in a TT program in a long time.

I'd be curious to hear Craig's and others' thoughts.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:41 AM

Regular dips probably aren't a great idea for the majority of the population, especially those with bad posture, weak scapular stabilizers, poor rotator cuff function, or current or previous shoulder pain. Bench dips are really awful for everyone.

Whenever CB prescribes dips it's on parallel bars and it's usually with knees raised. This removes the internal rotation of the hands and shoulders which is much more joint friendly. The knees up position keeps you more upright as well which will reduce but not completely remove the amount humeral extension which is also a safer option.

If you have bad shoulders though you're best to give them all a miss. Plenty of other good options like pushup variations, DB Presses, Landmine presses etc

Last edited by PeterJankowski : 08-29-2014 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:09 PM

Thanks all for the advice on dips! I have just been doing TRX instead. Now that I'm back at school everything has been falling into place as far as training and nutrition.

I've been a little more consistent with planning my meals, and have decided that I really love doing meal plans for the week. It takes all of the guess work out. That is admittedly one of our biggest issues at home. We're both hungry, haven't planned anything, have no food in the house so.... Take out! So last week I made a plan, bought all the necessary groceries and have been flying on auto pilot!

I've actually already made a meal plan for next week as well.

Training has been great! Just finished week 2 of the Iron Core yesterday. Two more weeks and then it's onto bigger and better things!
Old 09-12-2014, 01:47 PM

Week 2 of planning my meals has proven to be effective! I'm enjoying cooking at home and trying different recipes out.

I had to take the week off of training due to some elbow pain. As far as I can tell, exercises that extend the joint cause pain which sometimes shoots all the way up my arm. I've done a few HIIT sessions on the treadmill, and will start again on some light strength training this weekend!
Old 09-12-2014, 02:27 PM

My poor kids got "Ballantyned" this week. I'm teaching Phys Ed and I've started incorporating some of Craig's warm ups into my class. My poor kids aren't too impressed and aren't quite convinced that it constitutes as simply a "warm up". After 2 circuits, they're huffing and puffing.

I wonder if you've considered, or would consider coming up with a body weight program that I could do with phys ed groups aged 11-14? Tons of space with a gym.

Yesterday, I had them do the following:

Prisoner Lunges - 10 per side
Mountain Climbers - 10 per side
Punisher Squats - 1 round
Close Grip pushups - 10 reps
Plank - 30 seconds

I had them do 2 rounds, but halved the reps for the second round.

Afterwards, we did two full laps around the gym. I had them spring the two long sides of the gym. When they reached the first short side, they had to do walking lunges across, then the second short side were bear crawls.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:24 AM

The meal planning has been working really well for my lifestyle. It's almost therapeutic. I've been experimenting this week with Egg Salad for lunches... One day I mixed Greek Yogurt, Prepared mustard, grainy dijon and Worcestershire sauce. So good! The next day it was greek yogurt and hot sauce.

Anyways, getting training back on track after a slight injury to the elbow. And by slight, I mean it hurt real bad. I'm going to switch back to the MeatHead program because it's my favorite!

Happy Weekend to you all!
Old 09-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Administrator

They probably all have terrible form on lunges, and probably most of the other exercises too...but I would certainly remove lunges.

Thanks!

PS - Great updates, push on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandercool View Post
My poor kids got "Ballantyned" this week. I'm teaching Phys Ed and I've started incorporating some of Craig's warm ups into my class. My poor kids aren't too impressed and aren't quite convinced that it constitutes as simply a "warm up". After 2 circuits, they're huffing and puffing.

I wonder if you've considered, or would consider coming up with a body weight program that I could do with phys ed groups aged 11-14? Tons of space with a gym.

Yesterday, I had them do the following:

Prisoner Lunges - 10 per side
Mountain Climbers - 10 per side
Punisher Squats - 1 round
Close Grip pushups - 10 reps
Plank - 30 seconds

I had them do 2 rounds, but halved the reps for the second round.

Afterwards, we did two full laps around the gym. I had them spring the two long sides of the gym. When they reached the first short side, they had to do walking lunges across, then the second short side were bear crawls.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:43 PM

Halfway through (Yes I have it marked on my calendar!) and I'm feeling great. I'm six pounds down as I'm working really hard to maintain muscle mass as I cut fat. It was my son's birthday this past week. This is a huge milestone for myself as well as my family. I have worked really hard this past year to establish sustainable healthy habits. I have had my ups and downs as I'm only human. The biggest challenges I found were once my son became really active, it was much harder to fit my workouts in. Throughout THIS challenge, I have really been dialing in to make sure that I can find solutions to the "lack of time". I've started waking up earlier in the mornings to get some sort of activity whether it's a walk, run, some time on the punching bag. I find this sets the tone for the whole day and really helps to keep me focused and on track!

Little man does like to help me workout though... Not sure how much of a help he is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Little Man.jpg (54.7 KB, 14 views)