TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 19th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2014, 10:24 PM

Kids are annoying at the best of times. lol. But sick ones are the worst.

Speaking of children my daughter (Lili) woke screaming at 2am this morning due to a nightmare. But then we couldn't find her little toy dog "Spotty" and ended having to turn the place upside down, including going out to check the car to find him. In the end he was actually tangled up in her sheets! By this time though we were all wide awake and I never got back to sleep.

That 5am alarm this morning sure did suck. Lili didn't hear a thing. Bless her.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJankowski View Post

Speaking of children my daughter (Lili) woke screaming at 2am this morning due to a nightmare. But then we couldn't find her little toy dog "Spotty" and ended having to turn the place upside down, including going out to check the car to find him. In the end he was actually tangled up in her sheets! By this time though we were all wide awake and I never got back to sleep.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Champ will sometimes ask for this tiny blanket with a face of an elephant attached to it. We named him "Wilbert" (don't ask... it came from nowhere). If it's not in the bed with him, he won't go to sleep. Ha!
Old 01-16-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Whitfield View Post
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Champ will sometimes ask for this tiny blanket with a face of an elephant attached to it. We named him "Wilbert" (don't ask... it came from nowhere). If it's not in the bed with him, he won't go to sleep. Ha!
It's common. What's wrong with the name Wilbert?

Lili isn't very imaginative with her naming:

Spotty is a small dalmatian
Dolphy is a dolphin
Kitty is a Cat
Pengwee is a penguin

You get the idea.... ha! But spotty is the one! We lose him we are in trouble.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
It's common. What's wrong with the name Wilbert?

Lili isn't very imaginative with her naming:

Spotty is a small dalmatian
Dolphy is a dolphin
Kitty is a Cat
Pengwee is a penguin

You get the idea.... ha! But spotty is the one! We lose him we are in trouble.
My kids are generally not very original, either...here are a few of their stuffed animal names...
baby giraffe-ey (smallest giraffe)
little giraffe (medium sized giraffe)
Jaja (the large giraffe)
little brownie (a small brown dog)
little puppy (another small orange dog)
big Kaga (a large dog)
little "May bear" (a bear that says "May" on it)

Oddly enough, my now 8-year-old named "Kaga" and "Jaja" when he was 3 years old. Everything else since has been very unimaginative and tends to have size descriptors in the name!

The whole animal thing...they each have dozens of stuffed animals on the bed, but yep, there are always the "necessary" ones...it changes here and there...right now it's "May bear" for the 8-year-old and some unnamed bear he got in the hospital (any guesses on the would-be name?) is currently a requisite for the 5-year-old. Otherwise, bedtime is a nightmare for everyone!

Lookin' like Damien (8-yr-old) will be home again tomorrow. Back to the homework trudge of trying to get him caught-up (somewhat). It's already been a tired sort-of-day, so not looking forward to doing 3rd grade school work this evening.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:49 PM

Off-day today. Breakfast @ 6:00 = over easy eggs w/ mixed in dried plums, tomatoes, red peppers, a slice of brie cheese and pesto - my "concoction" that I love. Iced coffee w/ some cream (self-made) mid-morning, salad w/ some shredded chicken for lunch @ 11:00 am; dinner @ 6 pm of steak, salad and a baked potato (the splurge - don't eat these ever) - out to eat at a steakhouse.

Had to "present" at a faculty meeting today. I can talk in front of students all day but don't like too much speaking in front of my colleagues. I am so thankful that I learned how to do EFT tapping this past summer. It is an amazing technique that I use in stressful events, when I have muscle aches or headaches, and when I need to gain some focus. I have used it enough that I mentally "tap" sometimes and this I did in the meeting today, when it was almost my turn to speak. My heart rate started to elevate and I could feel my heart pounding, so I mentally "tapped" and within a few minutes, I was calm. Amazing stuff!

Work out will be done tomorrow morning before kiddos are up and getting ready for basketball games. My oldest boy is finally feeling himself and I am so happy for that! No more sick kids (for the year)!

We are exchanging one set of company tomorrow for a different visitor. My in-laws are leaving tomorrow from an extended trip - they were supposed to leave on the 6th but stayed when Dominic ended up in the hospital with meningitis and they stayed while he was home recuperating afterward. Then they stayed this past week since Damien ended up sick with strep throat and home all week. They leave tomorrow and then my Mom comes into town for a few days to visit, which will be nice. We haven't seen her since early November. The two parent sets will overlap for about two hours tomorrow at the kids' basketball games.

Should be a fun weekend and with healthy kids we will all finally get to try out our new roller skates!

I hope everyone else has a nice weekend, too!

Old 01-18-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1 View Post
Hey everyone! So far, so good as I have finished week 1. I'll take some measurements tomorrow morning (I forgot this a.m.) and see how I'm doing there. I can feel a difference in clothing that I tried on just a week and a half ago, so I'm pleased. I can see some differences, too. Yay!

In past contests I have used ESE and have really liked doing it, but I go through times between contests when it's too much of a challenge to do it (or I overeat after doing it). So while I may become motivated to sneak it in here and there during these 12 weeks, I don't have the motivation to do it regularly at the moment. Thus, I do need to see if I can eat my way back to where I want to be, and then eat to maintain without using ESE as a crutch. The benefits of ESE I do not doubt as I have seen them, but for the times I am not motivated to do ESE or if I feel it is hindering my progress, I need to have a way to eat that doesn't cause me to back-slide.

For the moment, I am focusing on some simple things: ample protein (eggs) plus fruit, veggies in the morning, but not too early as I find I am just hungry again too soon. I have found lately that eating "breakfast" around 9 - 10:30 seems to work. I then will shoot for a salad for lunch with some included protein and some fruit and/or greek yogurt. If I have any kind of small junk item, I've been consuming it in the daylight afternoon hours and limiting the portion. Salty/sweet combo seems to hit the spot so I am quickly satisfied with the small portion. Then for dinner I eat a protein and vegetable; we've been eating a lot of rice these days (from my Hawaii upbringing). I generally don't eat bread or pasta or crackers or cereal any other similar items. I eat a lot of nuts, fruits, vegetables, eggs and I do eat some cheese just about every day.

An article I read (in The Scientist - I am a scientist) - indicated that we are programmed to eat according to the earth's rotation, much like our sleep-wake cycle is tied into the earth, so is our body's handling of food. It makes sense in so many ways, and the genetic research they've done supports this notion. So research indicates that eating in the dark hours is detrimental as our body doesn't respond well to the nutrients at night and that our organ systems are better primed to handle nutrients consumed during the day (thus the difficulties of shift work is compounded even more). So for my purpose I decided to focus on limiting my eating to the daylight hours; dinner sometimes gets into the dark hours as it is winter, but then that is my last meal and I don't eat again. Somehow when I make my focus "don't snack at night" it doesn't work but when I make my focus "be in sync with biorhythms" my mind follows suit. Go figure! So while I'm not sure how well this would work if it were summer with all the light (increased desire to eat?), but for the moment it's worth a shot!
Thank you for the insight on "Dark Hours" and eating. I totally agree from my experience that keeping my eating in the daylight hours makes me feel great. I no longer do 24 hour fasts as I have trouble with overeating when I come off of them, but I've been getting results by not eating after my evening classes. So good to have you back in the forums by the way.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pageboy9 View Post
Thank you for the insight on "Dark Hours" and eating. I totally agree from my experience that keeping my eating in the daylight hours makes me feel great. I no longer do 24 hour fasts as I have trouble with overeating when I come off of them, but I've been getting results by not eating after my evening classes.
I did find it very insightful to learn about the link between "good" eating habits and the light/dark cycle, so I'm glad it helped you to explain what is successful for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pageboy9 View Post
So good to have you back in the forums by the way.
Thanks - I'm glad to be back. It was one of those things where I was able to be successful on my own, without the forums for awhile and life at the time was very hectic so posting wasn't able to be a priority. However, in my absence I began to struggle more and came to realize that the forums were the extra support I needed.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:42 PM

A good, long weekend. Right now is the first time since the 31st that we have the house to ourselves (husband, kids and I). The visits were good and the visitors were very helpful, especially when the kids were sick. I will, however, welcome life with just us again, too.

I did get some time yesterday to break in my new roller skates! My 5-year-old got roller skates with larger back wheels, so he is doing well balancing on those. My 8-year-old is cruising around on his new skates, but I'm telling you if I had the stance that he has my legs would be sooo sore (very wide-legged stance going on there)!

Speaking of sore, I did two workouts this weekend from the 8-Week Accelerator Workouts and did the finisher for each. The first I did on Saturday and it was an ab workout - didn't feel it at the time, but felt it yesterday and today. We'll see what I feel tomorrow from the workout I did today.

Measurements are still dropping - yay! - although scale isn't really moving, but that's okay. Nutrition is great, even though we went out to eat on Friday and Saturday nights with different visitors, veggies and protein were the ticket. I've also figured out my treat that seems to work. Thankfully, I'm eating it not every day, so that's good, too. I eat a few honey-wheat pretzel sticks (4 of them) and 16 york peppermint pieces (they're sort of like mint M&Ms). Yes, I count this all out. It gives me the salty-sweet that I like. If I do eat it, it's an afternoon quick treat. I had this today.

Thanks to whomever mentioned the grilled veggies - I did these tonight with fish and rice for dinner. Broccoli, carrots, onions and mushrooms in olive oil followed by a "finish" with a quick mix of basil, lemon juice, pepper and parmesan cheese on the veggies when they came out of the oven. Yummy!

Old 01-20-2014, 08:26 PM

Default Nice Work!!

I'm an introvert. I love my family and I love my friends, but when they all go home I have to lock myself away for a while or go for a walk by myself to recover from all the talking! You are making me want roller skates. There was a guy in Virginia(where we lived before) that would suit up in full on 70's gear(booty shorts, sweatband) and skate his little heart out in the Shell gas station parking lot. He was hysterical. I probably would be okay if I passed on the booty shorts and made sure my kids were with me! I'm doing a little friendly get healthy contest with some of my friends on facebook. We have to log minutes of exercise and get points for more minutes. They are all pretty discouraged because the scale is not moving and the inches are not budging. I'm actually going to lose the contest because I'm not exercising long enough. I did post on the page today though.."Pounds and inches have left the building!" After we're done(early Feb.), I'll be nice and share my new secret weapon! I hope you have a great week and everyone stays healthy! Leslie
Old 01-20-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:

One day you too will miss this, I PROMISE. I used to think I'd never get past the little kids being, well, little. Now my oldest has a baby of her own and my middle is a Marine and I only have the baby left and he's 6'4". I miss the middle of the night scramble for the stuffed animal or the blanket (don't lose the blanket) and one of my kids HAD TO HAVE this one particular jacket, all the time. We lost the jacket...no really lost it. I miss it all...sometimes LOL.. It's great to be the grandma though. When I'm done I just hand him back hehehe