TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 19th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Arbogast View Post
Most diet plans I read say multiply your weight by 11 or 12 for fat loss. So, I am doing that but since I know my body fat %, I am using my lean body mass for that calculation and not my overall weight.
Hi Chuck,

In my opinion, 1,800 calories are not enough. I would increase the food intake by 300 cals/day and see how it goes for one week or two. It might be better than going for 2,300 at once.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo84 View Post
Hi Chuck,
In my opinion, 1,800 calories are not enough. I would increase the food intake by 300 cals/day and see how it goes for one week or two. It might be better than going for 2,300 at once.
Eduardo,
I was kind of thinking the same thing. So it seems like 12 times my body weight, and not my lean body mass, is right but you think it best to not jump all at once. Is that right? I will up it by around 300 calories for the next 2 to 3 weeks for sure. Want to make sure I give it time to work.

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Arbogast View Post
Eduardo,
I was kind of thinking the same thing. So it seems like 12 times my body weight, and not my lean body mass, is right but you think it best to not jump all at once. Is that right? I will up it by around 300 calories for the next 2 to 3 weeks for sure. Want to make sure I give it time to work.

Thanks,
Chuck
Hi Chuck,

I think people out there usually base the recommendation on body weight (or target body weight if you are obese). But this is only a starting point and you must evaluate what is going on to adjust your food intake accordingly.

I am considerably lighter than you (150 lbs) and had good results last year with a food intake of ~1,800 cals. So I don't think you have go this low to lose weight consistently.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:08 AM

Week 3 of Buff Dudes & Hot Chicks 2.0 complete.

I made a change in my nutrition, with the help of Eduardo, to add about 300 calories to my daily intake. I kind of expected an increase in weight with the change but fortunately my weight & measurements stayed the same. I guess that is good considering my daily intake was more including me going a little overboard on last Saturday's cheat meal/day. Even though we are going out to eat today for my wife's birthday, I hope that next week I can loose some body fat. I do know that I am getting stronger and looking better everywhere except my belly. I guess that will be the last to go for me.

Thanks, and have a great week,
Chuck
Old 03-01-2014, 05:50 AM
Administrator

great work Chuck, you will lose that body fat, keep it up, you're on a great program!
Old 03-09-2014, 09:15 AM

Week 4 of Buff Dudes & Hot Chicks 2.0 complete. Now for my last 4 weeks.

I didn't loose any weight this past week but I did loose 0.25" around my belly.

I still haven't made my mind up which program I will start next for the next 4 weeks. I have done all the follow along workouts, so I have to find something I can do on my own. The programs I am considering is Gain Muscle & Lose Fat 2.0 (Nov. 2013), Meatheads Pump (Oct. 2013), March Madness 2.0 (Mar. 2014), Thermo 30 Gauntlets 3.0 (Feb. 2014) and finally 2K14 Guru Fat Loss (Jan. 2014). That is the order in which I am leaning toward at the moment. The main reason is that the first few in the list primarily follow a rep range and not timed sets. I know Craig suggested 2K14 but it has some complicated timed sets to set up and I didn't want to waste time switching the interval timer all the time.

One question I have is can I change the timed sets to rep based sets? For example, workout A of 2K14 exercise 1A is a squat for 40 seconds following a (2-0-1-0) tempo. So if I follow that tempo exactly, I should get around 13 reps. Is it ok to change a timed set over to a rep based set doing it this way? If so, it would make my life easier in a lot of the programs.

Another question I have about these workouts is about if I need to add a finisher at the end of them. The follow along videos had the finisher built in at the end, but on some of those programs it is not clear if the last circuit is a finisher style or not. Some I can certainly tell are, but some not so much. So, basically should I do a finisher at the end of some or all of those workouts?

Anyway, I have a lot of research to do today on my next workout program.

Have a great week!
Chuck

Last edited by Chuck Arbogast : 03-09-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Do not add anything to those workouts, they are super tough already.

And yes, you can do rep versions.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Ballantyne View Post
Do not add anything to those workouts, they are super tough already.

And yes, you can do rep versions.
Thanks Craig for your answers. Of those programs I listed, do you think the order I have them listed is ok or should I do the Meatheads Pump and Gain Muscle & Lose Fat 2.0 later?

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 03-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Administrator

If fat loss is your goal, go with Guru.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:12 PM

Week 1 of 2K14 Guru Fat Loss complete.

Overall it kicked my butt. I don't think it was because of the 4th workout. It may have been because I followed the suggested schedule of 2 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on & 2 days off. The two back to back workouts were tough. I think this week I will be doing A & B back to back but take a day rest between C & D. I felt like all 4 workouts were tough, so I thought I would see good results this week since I haven't seen much change in the past 3 weeks.

My disappointment came when I took my measurements. I actually gained 1.2 pounds on the scale and stayed the same on my belly and waist measurements.

I did take my body fat % readings today since I didn't do that last week. According to that, I have lost 1.6% body fat in the last two weeks, so even though I gained 1.2 pounds on the scale, I guess I lost 2.8 pounds of fat per my IntelaMetrix Personal Ultrasound device, which I would think would be consistent.

With all that said, I thought that if a person was in a calorie deficit, which I think I am at only eating 2100 calories/day, I wouldn't be able to gain muscle. However, unless I am missing something, it appears that I did gain muscle. If it is possible to do that, then I am completely satisfied with my results even though I gained weight on the scale. My ultimate goal is lowering my body fat %, which based on my device, I have dropped 4% body fat in the 9 weeks of this contest. That correlates into losing 1 inch around my belly and 0.5 inch around my waist. I know that sounds good, but it is confusing to me that I could actually gain muscle while cutting my calories.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I hope someone can better explain to me what is happening.

Have a great week!
Chuck

Last edited by Chuck Arbogast : 03-15-2014 at 12:15 PM.