TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 19th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2014, 03:45 AM

Doing the 2K4 expert series right now, first two workouts, and I'm really feeling the fatigue in the recovery days--in a good way, knowing my muscles have been stressed. It's a good sign, shows me I'm working at the right level.

On another note, my two teenage boys have been watching me working out and have jumped in on the action these past couple months. They're really liking it, and it's fun to share with them. They're getting into the protein shakes and watching what they eat more, too. It's the ripple effect...
Old 03-28-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocombes View Post
On another note, my two teenage boys have been watching me working out and have jumped in on the action these past couple months. They're really liking it, and it's fun to share with them. They're getting into the protein shakes and watching what they eat more, too. It's the ripple effect...
I love it!

Old 04-04-2014, 04:50 AM

Since my 12 weeks ended on Sunday I felt an urge to do something completely different, so I started the New You in 22 program I bought a few weeks ago wholeheartedly. I had been following it somewhat, but not exactly (even though my carbs are typically low, I ate way more carbs than they allow). I got strict, though, and cut the carbs WAY back.

I'm not sure if it's that I'm fighting something off or that the food really affected me negatively, but I felt SO FATIGUED. No energy. Even skipped my workout today. Three days in a row of naps: 3, 1 1/2 and 1 hour naps that left me just as exhausted when I got up. Today I said, "Forget this noise, I'm eating carbs!" I had a big bowl of squash, carrot and beet soup and some homemade potato salad for dinner, and I'm feeling better already. Still spacey, but better. I'll see how my energy is tomorrow.

Like I said, not sure if it's a bug or the food. I'll need to experiment again. I'm thinking I need to cycle high and low carbs to hit the sweet spot.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:10 AM

Just need to check in here as I've been sort of MIA from the whole TT lifestyle these past few days. I completely dropped working out--just taking slow, plodding walks--for the past several days.

I've been unbelievably fatigued, head swimming and unable to keep going all day. Usually I have plenty of energy. I'm really hoping I'm just fighting something off, but I have a sneaking suspicion it has to do with being obsessive about carbs. So I've started eating more carbs - even had a piece of (gasp) toast today! And fruit! I also got some Light Salt, potassium chloride, as I understand the body dumps potassium along with sodium on low carb diets.

I'm also seriously reflecting on my obsession with a few pounds of fat as my dear friend goes in for yet another round of chemo for her stage 4 ovarian cancer...

I know it's true: There but for the grace of God go I.

I have so much to be thankful for.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocombes View Post
Just need to check in here as I've been sort of MIA from the whole TT lifestyle these past few days. I completely dropped working out--just taking slow, plodding walks--for the past several days.

I've been unbelievably fatigued, head swimming and unable to keep going all day. Usually I have plenty of energy. I'm really hoping I'm just fighting something off, but I have a sneaking suspicion it has to do with being obsessive about carbs. So I've started eating more carbs - even had a piece of (gasp) toast today! And fruit! I also got some Light Salt, potassium chloride, as I understand the body dumps potassium along with sodium on low carb diets.

I'm also seriously reflecting on my obsession with a few pounds of fat as my dear friend goes in for yet another round of chemo for her stage 4 ovarian cancer...

I know it's true: There but for the grace of God go I.

I have so much to be thankful for.
Hang in there, Maureen

Low carb does leave you with low energy.

I am sure you are emotionally drained as well with your friend's cancer. Stay strong for you and your friend. I will keep your friend and you in my prayers.
Shawn
Old 04-07-2014, 02:47 PM

Hoping you can get through the fog soon...your body will adjust.

Prayers for your friend and hugs to you.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:20 AM

I'm BACK!!!

I feel great today, had a great 2K4 expert workout B and am still going strong (have to get to bed, it's past my bedtime). I think my body does not like the Phase 1 Atkins-type diet.

I'm so happy to feel good again

Last edited by mocombes : 04-08-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 AM

Hey Maureen,

You had the Atkins flu! Did you drink the bouillon that Dr Westman recommends in the New Atkin's book?

Of course you can always add back carbs. Sweet Potato, organic dark chocolate, and even organic oat bran are great choices.

If you can get through the flu to becoming fat adapted, look out world, because your energy will go through the roof.

(When people ask where I get my energy and stamina, that's where I get it. That said, I never limit vegetables so my carbs are around 50 grams now, not the very low 20 of Atkin's induction.)

Either way, glad to hear that you're feeling good.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:23 PM

Glad to hear the "fog" is lifting.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pageboy9 View Post
Hey Maureen,

You had the Atkins flu! Did you drink the bouillon that Dr Westman recommends in the New Atkin's book?

Of course you can always add back carbs. Sweet Potato, organic dark chocolate, and even organic oat bran are great choices.

If you can get through the flu to becoming fat adapted, look out world, because your energy will go through the roof.

(When people ask where I get my energy and stamina, that's where I get it. That said, I never limit vegetables so my carbs are around 50 grams now, not the very low 20 of Atkin's induction.)

Either way, glad to hear that you're feeling good.
Well, I never knew there was a syndrome called the "Atkins flu"! He (Jonny Bowden) said there might be some fatigue and brain fog, but I was wasted! I looked it up more after seeing your post, and apparently there's a huge variation in how much people react to VLC. It just surprised me, though, since I thought I was eating fairly low carb already.

But, now I've decided to count the grams to see where I really stand, and then re-assess. I didn't have any bouillon, but have a nice chicken broth from yesterday's slow cooked chicken I can have with some Lite Salt added (KCl). Turns out my multi doesn't have any magnesium or potassium.

I'm reserving judgement for now...