TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 19th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2014, 02:01 AM

Hi Heather,

No, I wasn't born here in Hawai`i, I moved here from California (SF Bay Area) - twice now! I'm coming up on six years here, and I'm not making any decisions yet about whether I stay much longer. I'm in a big state of transition now, so just holding steady for a while.

It is VERY expensive, even more so than the Bay Area, so I live modestly, especially since I don't have my clinical research job anymore. But the perks are obvious, so I try to consciously appreciate the beauty and weather as much as I can, knowing that it could all go away. Another easy one for the gratitude journal...

Regarding your comment about finding what works, I can't recommend HWR highly enough. I absolutely LOVE that I'm finished with a good workout in half an hour. For nutrition, my trick was being sure every meal had a good source of protein and LOTS of veggies. Fill up on veggies, and don't be afraid of good fats. They add a lot of satiety and are essential to good health. And if you have a sweet tooth, stevia is a real asset in your kitchen.

Good luck, and looking forward to progressing together!
Old 01-19-2014, 08:06 AM

Default Hi!

Hi Maureen! Thanks for stopping by to say hi and offer the encouragement about cancer. I know in my mind that how I live has more to do with my cancer chances than my genetics. Sometimes the emotions over-ride the brain. I'm a first generation healthy eater. Like most American kids of the 70's and 80's I was fed formula(so do I have the metabolism of a baby cow??) and lived on a steady diet of Crisco and Velveeta! Don't get me started on my teen tanning habits! Thanks again for the reality check!

I see you are from the Bay Area. We lived in Novato for 5 years. I miss it, but we lived in military housing, so the expense wasn't an issue for us. While we were there, we took a miltary flight to Oahu and stayed in cottages on Bellows Air Force Base. It was such a great trip. The return flight wasn't all that snazzy. We were on a cargo plane and strapped in jump seats for 10 hours. Have a wonderful Sunday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocombes View Post
Hi Heather,

No, I wasn't born here in Hawai`i, I moved here from California (SF Bay Area) - twice now! I'm coming up on six years here, and I'm not making any decisions yet about whether I stay much longer. I'm in a big state of transition now, so just holding steady for a while.

It is VERY expensive, even more so than the Bay Area, so I live modestly, especially since I don't have my clinical research job anymore. But the perks are obvious, so I try to consciously appreciate the beauty and weather as much as I can, knowing that it could all go away. Another easy one for the gratitude journal...

Regarding your comment about finding what works, I can't recommend HWR highly enough. I absolutely LOVE that I'm finished with a good workout in half an hour. For nutrition, my trick was being sure every meal had a good source of protein and LOTS of veggies. Fill up on veggies, and don't be afraid of good fats. They add a lot of satiety and are essential to good health. And if you have a sweet tooth, stevia is a real asset in your kitchen.

Good luck, and looking forward to progressing together!
Old 01-21-2014, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieM View Post
Like most American kids of the 70's and 80's I was fed formula(so do I have the metabolism of a baby cow??) and lived on a steady diet of Crisco and Velveeta! Don't get me started on my teen tanning habits! Thanks again for the reality check!

I see you are from the Bay Area. We lived in Novato for 5 years. I miss it, but we lived in military housing, so the expense wasn't an issue for us. While we were there, we took a miltary flight to Oahu and stayed in cottages on Bellows Air Force Base. It was such a great trip. The return flight wasn't all that snazzy. We were on a cargo plane and strapped in jump seats for 10 hours. Have a wonderful Sunday!
Oh, yeah, baby formula, Velveeta and Crisco. And "oleomargarine". Trans fat central! And don't forget big casseroles with white flour noodles, canned corned beef and cream of mushroom soup. No wonder I was "pleasantly plump" (my mother's euphemism for fat) when I was a kid.

Your ride in a cargo plane sounds interesting I grew up in Sunnyvale; my dad worked for Lockheed for 45 years, I think. Never took us to Hawaii, that's for sure! I saw those cargo planes flying over us all the time, though. We were right in the flight path of Moffett Field. And my folks are still there...

On the workout front, I've decided to add a fourth day of workouts to my week, following Craig's advice of combining HWR with TT. I did my first TT workout at home, which wasn't perfect since I don't have a bench or stability ball at the moment. But, I really like the weights component. I need to find a gym.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:08 AM

I've been trying to not count calories but just focus on good food, but the scale ain't budging and I think I'm eating too much. DANG.

I've been listening to audiobooks on low carb eating and think I must need to do something more extreme than what I'm doing now.

Here's a typical day:
1 c lowfat yogurt
1 scoop protein powder
2 tbsp chopped walnuts
2 tbsp ground flax seeds
black tea with milk

3 eggs cooked in butter
big salad, lots of greens and a tomato, homemade low fat salad dressing
orange

25 nuts
salad like above
homemade hot chocolate made with 3/4 water, 1/4 milk and stevia to sweeten

hamburger patty
lots of sauteed vegetables
piece of fruit

Now, having written all that down I had two days last week with a big glass of wine each night. I'm on the last 5 lbs, so maybe that's the issue. My body's resisting letting go of my leg fat!

I may have to count calories for a while to get a handle on this.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:20 AM

Default Pesky 5lbs

Hi Maureen

The last little bit just seems to be hardest to shift, right? I dropped some lbs and inches at the beginning (which I think was all water after coming off a 2 week vacation eating lots of carbs). Then everything came to a grinding halt. I started the Xtreme Fat Loss Diet just over a week ago and the scale (and hopefully measurements) moved again ... tightening up and being very controlled might just tip you in the right direction. I do NOT count calories normally, but the XFLD has forced me to. By doing this diet my focus is back on track because I was getting a bit complacent.

Sounds like you are staying consistent and clean with your eating ... I'm sure it will all pay off. It can just take longer because you are already pretty lean.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:22 PM

I've been trying to not count calories but just focus on good food, but the scale ain't budging and I think I'm eating too much. DANG.

I've been listening to audiobooks on low carb eating and think I must need to do something more extreme than what I'm doing now.

Here's a typical day:
1 c lowfat yogurt
1 scoop protein powder
2 tbsp chopped walnuts
2 tbsp ground flax seeds
black tea with milk

3 eggs cooked in butter
big salad, lots of greens and a tomato, homemade low fat salad dressing
orange

25 nuts
salad like above
homemade hot chocolate made with 3/4 water, 1/4 milk and stevia to sweeten

hamburger patty
lots of sauteed vegetables
piece of fruit

Now, having written all that down I had two days last week with a big glass of wine each night. I'm on the last 5 lbs, so maybe that's the issue. My body's resisting letting go of my leg fat!

I may have to count calories for a while to get a handle on this.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:47 PM

Maureen can I make a suggestion?

Last photo I saw of you, you were pretty bloody lean. I think at your stage there is limited benefit to running a calorie deficit and doing bodyweight stuff.

I think that you should shift your focus to lifting heavy and eating at maintenance or slightly above.

What you need right now is to add a little muscle, with that will come a boost in metabolism and "I think" will result in you losing those last couple of lbs.

Even if you didn't lose any bodyfat (which I doubt) your ratio of lean tissue to bodyfat would increase which by default would decrease your bodyfat %.

Just something to think about anyway. Sometimes the answer you seek is not in the most obvious place.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJankowski View Post
Maureen can I make a suggestion?

Last photo I saw of you, you were pretty bloody lean. I think at your stage there is limited benefit to running a calorie deficit and doing bodyweight stuff.

I think that you should shift your focus to lifting heavy and eating at maintenance or slightly above.

What you need right now is to add a little muscle, with that will come a boost in metabolism and "I think" will result in you losing those last couple of lbs.

Even if you didn't lose any bodyfat (which I doubt) your ratio of lean tissue to bodyfat would increase which by default would decrease your bodyfat %.

Just something to think about anyway. Sometimes the answer you seek is not in the most obvious place.
Hey Peter, thanks for chiming in with that perspective. That's what I was thinking when I started this TC, and perhaps I haven't been aggressive enough there.

I'm a little challenged when it comes to the heavier weights at the moment, as the nearest gym is quite a drive and out of my budget, so I guess I should get a bench and some heavier weights at home. It wouldn't take all that much given my current strength. I have a pull-up bar, elastic bands, a homemade TRX, a jumprope and 15 lb dumbells.

I think building lower body strength would be the most effective, since those muscles are bigger and would directly give me both improved shape and greater increase in metabolism. My fly in the ointment is my persnickety lower back (SI joint issues), which I must obey... or pay the price Otherwise, I'd just be running wind sprints like in the old days.

How does the CTT world handle building up lower body strength with limited equipment and an eye for not aggravating the SI joints?

Thanks for any ideas!
Old 02-01-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJShona View Post
Hi Maureen

The last little bit just seems to be hardest to shift, right? I dropped some lbs and inches at the beginning (which I think was all water after coming off a 2 week vacation eating lots of carbs). Then everything came to a grinding halt. I started the Xtreme Fat Loss Diet just over a week ago and the scale (and hopefully measurements) moved again ... tightening up and being very controlled might just tip you in the right direction. I do NOT count calories normally, but the XFLD has forced me to. By doing this diet my focus is back on track because I was getting a bit complacent.

Sounds like you are staying consistent and clean with your eating ... I'm sure it will all pay off. It can just take longer because you are already pretty lean.
Hey LJShona (is it Shona?),

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not familiar with the particulars of XFLD but it does sound...well, extreme! How is it working? Are you feeling satisfied with your food intake (i.e. not always hungry) and how long does it last before you (I assume) taper back to eating more normally again?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocombes View Post
Hey Peter, thanks for chiming in with that perspective. That's what I was thinking when I started this TC, and perhaps I haven't been aggressive enough there.

I'm a little challenged when it comes to the heavier weights at the moment, as the nearest gym is quite a drive and out of my budget, so I guess I should get a bench and some heavier weights at home. It wouldn't take all that much given my current strength. I have a pull-up bar, elastic bands, a homemade TRX, a jumprope and 15 lb dumbells.

I think building lower body strength would be the most effective, since those muscles are bigger and would directly give me both improved shape and greater increase in metabolism. My fly in the ointment is my persnickety lower back (SI joint issues), which I must obey... or pay the price Otherwise, I'd just be running wind sprints like in the old days.

How does the CTT world handle building up lower body strength with limited equipment and an eye for not aggravating the SI joints?

Thanks for any ideas!
Have a look at the TT bodyweight bodybuilding series. I recently completed both of them and they are really great.