TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 19th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 04:20 AM

Default Maureen's Metamorphosis

Aloha all,

It's good to be back!

I'm jumping in the TC because I'm going through some huge changes and am now actively creating the life I want.

Literally, the very next day after my previous TC ended my husband and I decided to get divorced. WOW. It had been a long time coming, but that decision threw my life into a whirlwind of activity and uncertainty.

Now, just over 5 months later, my divorce is final; I have both a new home in a new town (still on the Big Island of Hawaii) and TWO new jobs (for a total of three); my boys are living with me; and their dad has taken off to sail to a better life somewhere. I have been VERY busy, but it's all working out just fine.

Now, it's time to create my new life! I'm still passionate about spreading the word on women being healthy, getting fit and losing fat, but it's definitely only part of the bigger message.

My most heartfelt desire is for women to advocate for themselves, to stop being martyrs just to keep the peace, and - especially relevant to this forum - to stop sacrificing their own health and well-being for the promotion of everyone else's. The "I come last" mantra is self-defeating.

Sour grapes from my divorce? Maybe, but I don't think so. I think this attitude is built into our society, and it keeps women in a place where they lose fitness and health trying to please other people.

Enough of the soap box, I just want to say I'm happy to be back and looking forward to better days ahead!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Welcome back, looking forward to your continued journey!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:45 AM

WOW is right Maureen. You have been busy. But is sounds like you are on top of things.

Good to have you back.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocombes View Post
Aloha all,

My most heartfelt desire is for women to advocate for themselves, to stop being martyrs just to keep the peace, and - especially relevant to this forum - to stop sacrificing their own health and well-being for the promotion of everyone else's. The "I come last" mantra is self-defeating.
Wow Maureen, that is one hefty but very worthwhile goal. It is such a natural instinct as a mother to put your own needs last but I know when I do manage to look after "me", especially in regards to health, fitness AND soul, I am a better mother and person. Good luck with the challenge, and everything else you are juggling. I can tell you'll be an inspiration to follow
Old 01-03-2014, 06:15 PM

Thanks, CathJ; I'm hoping to be an inspiration! Starting the contest on Monday...
Old 01-10-2014, 01:37 AM

Okay, started officially on Monday, did my pics and measurements, and got back to my workout routine after slacking off for several months, distracted by other things.

I'd been doing much less intense exercise, non-TT style activity, and I can tell! I haven't been so sore in a really long time. In fact, likely since the beginning of the last TC! But I'm back in the swing of it, and feeling good.

One thing I've started doing in the past few weeks which has helped a lot is change my morning ritual. I'm recognizing that I'm just really tight in the morning, and so my new routine is to stretch first thing while listening to an informative or inspirational audio. I love this new start to my day, and I don't feel guilty at all for not starting "work" right away, because this action is fully congruent with my goals of getting more flexible and rid of my back pain.

Has anyone else changed a routine lately that has made a big difference? Or even a small difference?
Old 01-10-2014, 03:20 AM

Shift work makes it hard for me to have any sort of routine at all. I'd love to establish some but it all goes with the ebbs and flows of work.

This year things will change though.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:32 AM

My new routine is logging into TT and writing in my journal and doing my workout. Good stuff. Love tha the TT workouts are nice and short
Old 01-15-2014, 02:00 AM

Checking in here during a wild downpour here in the desert area of Hawaii (just up the hill from the beaches that are always sunny and mild)...

I'm continuing on my eating plan I'd established in the last TC, which was fairly high protein, lots of veggies, and not a lot of straight carbs (rice, bread, etc.) I'm happy to say I didn't pay any attention to the scale or tape measure for five months, and when I started up again last week my weight was the same but I'd lost another 5+ inches. Of course, that's all subject to error, but the good news is that I maintained it with a lifestyle that felt very easy.

The workouts are still harder than they were when I stopped 4 months ago (really?), but I'm back at the 3x/week with HWR. This time I'd like to get to a gym, but I don't have one nearby and don't want to drive, so I'll stick with bodyweight for the time being.

I had lunch today with a friend I haven't seen for years. She's a seasoned Feldenkrais practitioner and we talked all about how movements learned early in life become ingrained and shape not only our physical destinies, but our mental and emotional ones as well. That teaching goes hand in hand with what we talk about here: we start with our physical bodies, but changing those habits that affect our bodies also shapes our mental and emotional futures.

Words of wisdom from any perspective. Habits are the key.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocombes View Post
I'm continuing on my eating plan I'd established in the last TC, which was fairly high protein, lots of veggies, and not a lot of straight carbs (rice, bread, etc.) I'm happy to say I didn't pay any attention to the scale or tape measure for five months, and when I started up again last week my weight was the same but I'd lost another 5+ inches. Of course, that's all subject to error, but the good news is that I maintained it with a lifestyle that felt very easy.

The workouts are still harder than they were when I stopped 4 months ago (really?), but I'm back at the 3x/week with HWR. This time I'd like to get to a gym, but I don't have one nearby and don't want to drive, so I'll stick with bodyweight for the time being.

I had lunch today with a friend I haven't seen for years. She's a seasoned Feldenkrais practitioner and we talked all about how movements learned early in life become ingrained and shape not only our physical destinies, but our mental and emotional ones as well. That teaching goes hand in hand with what we talk about here: we start with our physical bodies, but changing those habits that affect our bodies also shapes our mental and emotional futures.

Words of wisdom from any perspective. Habits are the key.
To me, the nutrition piece is the toughest to find a way "for life" so if you've been maintaining weight but losing inches on your plan for 5 months, you've got it figured out. That is terrific! As you say, "habits are the key" and you've made what works a habit - that is what I am seeking these days. First I just need to figure out truly "what works".

I, too, am doing HWR, which I am loving the variety and of course, the short but intense workouts. I like to use the 4 and 6' workouts and/or the finishers on off-days sometimes, especially if I just feel the need to move after a day of sitting.

Since I've been off the forums for awhile - are you Hawai'i born/how long have you been in the islands? I was born and raised on the windward side of O'ahu but have been on the mainland since college. I went back this past summer to visit and I felt like I was really home...maybe again someday...still have family there so it would really be nice...but so, so expensive to think about buying a home where I would want it (Kailua).

Good luck to you!