TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 19th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 06:46 PM

I saw the physio on Monday, she reckons that its not tendinitis like I thought but rather that I have strained my forearm muscle just below the elbow. The physio recommends I take a couple weeks off from using my arm for activity to let it rest and let the swelling go down.

It is not feeling to bad today but yesterday it was painful and irritated me throughout the day.

I have also taken the day off work. I think I have caught the Gastro bug that is going around, this also might be why my elbow has been feeling the way it is too.

I'll snap some pics either this weekend or next and post here to see my progress so far. Good luck to all the contestants, I'm sure you have all done well.

Nutrition log
Workout Journal
Old 04-02-2014, 12:01 PM

Sorry about your elbow Craig. Guess it will be lower body work for a while. Take care of yourself. Concetta
Old 04-06-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concetta27 View Post
Sorry about your elbow Craig. Guess it will be lower body work for a while. Take care of yourself. Concetta
Thanks Concetta...to top it off I had a severe case of Gastro last week which had me off work Tuesday thru to Thursday. I am still not feeling 100% recovered and found myself wanting to constantly nap over the weekend.

While I was sick I didn't feel like eating wholesome food...I don't know what happened but I over ate on kids jellies, chocolate biscuits and crisps. I think I was a bit depressed too from my elbow injury. My diet has somewhat improved over the weekend but I will get back on track this week and snap some pics next weekend.

My elbow is healing slowly, I think it will take some time to heal (maybe a couple months or more) before I am back on track with Double Kettlebells and Sandbag training. I will try progress slowly with a single 16kg KB and see how my elbow goes.

It turns out (and have known for a long time but never thought about it much) that I have a crooked arm which I cannot fully lockout. I have had this for years since my school days and probably from an old skateboarding injury.

If I straighten out my 2 arms together you can clearly see that my right arm only goes about 95% of the way and appears crooked at the elbow. The physio thinks this may have been the cause of the injury and has given me some exercises to try achieve full range of motion in my right elbow again.

As of now the swelling has gone down and I am back at 95% range of motion but the elbow is still extremely sensitive.

After doing no exercise since the Thursday the 27th of March I tried to start getting active again over the weekend. Trying to figure out what to do because of my elbow was the hard part. This was the workout I did Saturday afternoon. I went down to the prk not to far from my house to train outside and the kids tagged along for some fresh air and to run around a little.

I got started with the bodyweight warm-up circuit:

Prisoner Squat — 10 reps
Prisoner Lunge — 6 reps/side
X-Body Mountain Climber — 6 reps/side
Leg Swing — 20 reps/side
Jumping Jack — 20 reps

I then started out with Workout # 1: The 4-Minute Leg Muscle Miracle

1A 1-Minute Punisher Squat — 20 seconds, 10 second hold in bottom position
1B 2-Minute Switch Lunge
1C 1-Minute Punisher Squat — 20 seconds, 10 second hold in bottom position

I took a short break and then proceeded to do some Hill Sprints

1A A short 30m explosive sprint up a gentle hill
1B A causal zig zag jog back down the hill to recover
1C 10 X Mountain Climbers / side

That is 1 set, repeat for a total of 10 times

I took a short break again and then proceeded with Metabolic Finishers: Workout # 4: 8 is Enough

Do the following circuit as many times as possible in 8 minutes, resting only when needed:
• Jump Squats (8)
• Plank (8 seconds on, 8 seconds of rest - 4 times)
• Alternating Lateral Lunge (8/side) - I substituted cossack squat
• Mountain Climbers (8/side)

I found it to be a great little workout to get back into the swing of things. As Sunday past midday I found myself to be suffering with DOMS. I was surprised that taking just over a week off that I would get this. It felt good tho to to some exercise and sweat.

Today after work I plan on going to a different park nearby my house with a pull-up bar and do some sprints with some power pull-ups and see how the arm feels.

Nutrition log
Workout Journal

Last edited by craig.mitch316 : 04-06-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:42 PM

Default My first created Bodyweight Circuit

I hit another little circuit yesterday after work...I've had to take it easy with my arm trying to continue with the GBB program...it's just not liking the weights (Kettlebells) at the moment.

I will try next week incorporate a single 16kg KB into my workouts and see how we go. I am trying to get creative and train outdoors for a while...mix up my training a bit, so I hit this bodyweight circuit which I created while at work:

4 minutes 20/10 style:

1A Total body extensions x 2 rounds
1B Prisoner Lunge
1C Jumping Jacks
1D 1 Leg Assisted Pistol L leg
1E 1 Leg Assisted Pistol R leg
1F Mountain Climbers
1E Close grip Push Ups

After this I took a couple minutes breather and then did Sprints:

2A 50m sprint followed by a walk back to the start
2B Burpee to Pull-up x 3

I did this for 8 rounds...the elbow was holding up good so far during the workout. I was wearing a compression sleeve and a tennis elbow brace so it did help and allowed me to do a lot of the movements (Burpees, Push-Ups & Pull-Ups) pain free.

After this I set my sights on the might Muscle-Up, the ultimate bodyweight exercise for upper body strength. As I am not strong enough to do a full proper Muscle-Up I regressed the movement to Band Assisted Muscle-ups. I followed an EMOTM style. I set my Gym Boss for 1:20s intervals followed by 5 rounds. I allowed myself 20s on every minute to get my feet into the band.

3A Band Assisted Muscle-up x 3 on EMOTM x 5 rounds

It was the first time I tried Band Assisted Muscle-ups. I managed to get 14 in total. My form needs a little work and cleaning up but with consistency a proper Muscle-Up is within my reach. I was so stoked to get so many first time around. My previous record, done unassisted was 3.

After that I was feeling totally knackered and ended my session of with a fast paced jog.

4A 400m Fast paced jog

It wasn't a bad little circuit and I certainly felt like I had put in 110% into my training, and what made this fantastic for me was that my workout was done outdoors.

Nutrition log
Workout Journal
Old 04-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Be very careful with your arm. Better to take 3 weeks off now than 3 months later. Stay strong, Craig.

Proud of all that you have accomplished.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Ballantyne View Post
Be very careful with your arm. Better to take 3 weeks off now than 3 months later. Stay strong, Craig.

Proud of all that you have accomplished.
Thanks, Craig. So far the elbow is heeling slowly. I thought it would be sore after yesterdays workout but today it is feeling good. If I feel any twinge or discomfort during the exercise I will stop immediately and not try continue through it.

I will see the physio again next week and see what she says. As you say, train smart.

Nutrition log
Workout Journal
Old 04-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Yes sir, great work!
Old 04-18-2014, 07:04 PM

Default After Photo

Here is a pic I snapped of my midsection Friday night...my nutrition has been up the shitter these past couple weeks with it coming up to Easter.

I think I am more of a chocoholic than the kids, it really is a weakness of mine. I tend to have these binging sessions every now and then.

The elbow is healing slowly, I tried s few kettlebell racks with the 20kg KB. It is a lot better but still painful to rack the KB.

Here is my progress so far.
=====
=====

Nutrition log
Workout Journal
Old 04-19-2014, 09:59 AM

Wow, great definition.

Congratulations on your results.

Plus, nice TT session you designed!
Old 04-20-2014, 11:53 PM

Smile Good Grief!

I want my abs to look like that when I grow up! Seriously, nice work!