TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 11th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2011, 04:33 AM

Hi, Andrew, didn't see that you joined the contest until now!! Best of luck with your transformation!!
It could've been me, it could've been me..."
Meat Loaf- A kiss is a terrible thing to waste
Old 05-10-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoheion View Post
Hi, Andrew, didn't see that you joined the contest until now!! Best of luck with your transformation!!
Thank-you.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northpolechick View Post
Gotta say, the medieval fighting stuff, sounds super cool and like a lot of fun! You have videos for the rest of us to enjoy, or must we buy tickets and travel thousands of miles to see it in person?

Beets huh, hmmm... not sure they're a fav, but way to have special tribute to a very colorful vegetable.

:-) hope your niggles heal up and you're back to 100% in your shoulder and elbow.

~Amanda
I'm optimistic to heal up quickly.

Here is a post on the fighting here; http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=6523

The SCA is all over North America and in many other locations - Europe, Australia etc. It is a club making our own fun not a theatre show. If you want to come out find your local group and contact them. Weekly gatherings and practices are typically free or a small fee for hall rental ($2 to $5).

There is a fee for day long events and we have loaner medieval clothes. Events in Canada at typically $10 to $15 for the site fee for the day and about the same for a huge feast (not TT approved I suspect). You can find your local group at http://www.sca.org/geography/findsca.html
Groups sometimes run public demos where we showed fighting, fencing, arts and sciences etc.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:21 PM

I finished Superchargerz today. I did 'D' today and 'C' yesterday. It took me 30 days to do the 28 day program due to some scheduling issues. I pushed through the C workout on Wednesday and despite being the fourth week I did not feel like I was any better at it. Tonight I did the D workout and I increased the weight on the deadlift to 205 and the raise and iron cross ot 12.5 lb dumbbells. I should have increased to those weights last week. I was pretty wiped and sweating a lot at the end of it.

This morning I was the lightest I have been all month but my waist is at a plateau for the past three days. I'm doing three ESE fasts this week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I start the evening before to supper the following evening as my wife makes supper and we eat the meal as a family. I really want to drop the belly fat from 87 cm to 80 cm and I'm stuck right now. I need to get more sleep too. I'm not too tired during the day (no falling asleep at the keyboard for instance as I've done in the past) but I'm tired by 8 which is often when I'm lifting these days. So I need to get into bed by 10 as I awake naturally (no alarm) at 6. I'm also experimenting with getting a 15 minute nap between 5 and 6 pm.

I've started to get treatment for my elbow. The therapist does not think it will take long to get it treated. I see her Friday for my second treatment.

I now need to pick my next TT workout. Probably Metabolic Resistance. If I get some straps I can do at least one workout at the park while my Daughter plays.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:24 AM

Friday 13 May 2011

I had my second physio appt and my elbow is getting better.

Today I took as an off day. I'm glad too as I felt the previous day's deadlifts, squats and lunges in my legs. I was pleased to learn that I finished my deadlifts yesterday working at my PR. I could (should) have increased the weight a bit and made a PR. The next time.

So wandering around today at a family outing to visit 'Thomas the Tank Engine' at the RailRoad Museum in Medina New York and then mowing the lawn in the evening. Man I have a lot of yard work to do this summer and no time.

I did an ESE fast until supper which was hard. There were food vendors at the museum and they were tempting. Of course being on a fast prevented me from eating high calorie food. When I came home my wife made me a meal of a turkey sausage and bulgar and beets (the later two left over from our medieval feast on Saturday). While watching a movie I finished off the last of the beet cake again from the feast.

I had a mild acid reflux attack in the evening. I get these every two to three months and I have spoken to my Doctor. This one was not too painful just enough discomfort to disrupt my sleep so Saturday is going to be a hard day.

I was pleased on Saturday morning to find my waist had dropped 2.5 cm (an inch) from the day before. I had been on a waist measurement plateau so this is a good change. Now to go from 85 cm the rest of the way to 80 cm.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larmer View Post
Friday 13 May 2011

I had my second physio appt and my elbow is getting better.

Today I took as an off day. I'm glad too as I felt the previous day's deadlifts, squats and lunges in my legs. I was pleased to learn that I finished my deadlifts yesterday working at my PR. I could (should) have increased the weight a bit and made a PR. The next time.

So wandering around today at a family outing to visit 'Thomas the Tank Engine' at the RailRoad Museum in Medina New York and then mowing the lawn in the evening. Man I have a lot of yard work to do this summer and no time.

I did an ESE fast until supper which was hard. There were food vendors at the museum and they were tempting. Of course being on a fast prevented me from eating high calorie food. When I came home my wife made me a meal of a turkey sausage and bulgar and beets (the later two left over from our medieval feast on Saturday). While watching a movie I finished off the last of the beet cake again from the feast.

I had a mild acid reflux attack in the evening. I get these every two to three months and I have spoken to my Doctor. This one was not too painful just enough discomfort to disrupt my sleep so Saturday is going to be a hard day.

I was pleased on Saturday morning to find my waist had dropped 2.5 cm (an inch) from the day before. I had been on a waist measurement plateau so this is a good change. Now to go from 85 cm the rest of the way to 80 cm.
Hi, Andrew, sorry to hear about your acid reflux problem- I used to have similar problems during my wkt because of increased intraabdominal pressure and all classes of proton pump inhibitors have worked wonders for me- try omeprazolum, pantoprazolum or esomeprazolum and you'll get rid of your symptoms in 30-60 min. Take it only when you need it, unless your doctor says otherwise- I'll be a doctor in 6 months but until then this is not meant to replace proped medical advice- always listen to what your doctor says to you.
Have a great day!!
Ion
Old 05-15-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoheion View Post
Hi, Andrew, sorry to hear about your acid reflux problem- I used to have similar problems during my wkt because of increased intraabdominal pressure and all classes of proton pump inhibitors have worked wonders for me- try omeprazolum, pantoprazolum or esomeprazolum and you'll get rid of your symptoms in 30-60 min. Take it only when you need it, unless your doctor says otherwise- I'll be a doctor in 6 months but until then this is not meant to replace proped medical advice- always listen to what your doctor says to you.
Have a great day!!
Ion
Yes I follow my Doctor's advice. He is good in that when I give him push back on things he is prepared to work with me an alternatives (e.g. fixing my low iron with diet rather than pills). He gave me Nexium 40 mg (IIRC is a PHI) to take at the onset of an attack which seemed to help this time. I think I will look at buying an angle pillow too, http://www.deluxecomfort.com/wedge-pillow-order.html
It does not seem to be workout related as I've had more on off or fighting days than on lifting days.
Thanks for the advice.
Congrats on being a Doctor soon. It must have been a long journey.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larmer View Post
Yes I follow my Doctor's advice. He is good in that when I give him push back on things he is prepared to work with me an alternatives (e.g. fixing my low iron with diet rather than pills). He gave me Nexium 40 mg (IIRC is a PHI) to take at the onset of an attack which seemed to help this time. I think I will look at buying an angle pillow too, http://www.deluxecomfort.com/wedge-pillow-order.html
It does not seem to be workout related as I've had more on off or fighting days than on lifting days.
Thanks for the advice.
Congrats on being a Doctor soon. It must have been a long journey.
Pheew... The long journey is only begining. You sometimes arrive at a point where you already know a lot, but you realise that you don't know nothing yet. From my point of view, I still have about 10 years before me before I can call myself a doctor.
Nexium (esomeprazolum) is a good choice, some say the best. The good part about PPI's is that the chance of experiencing adverse effects is very small.
Hope you'll feel better soon enough!!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:46 PM

For the past week or so I have been doing the first week of Metabolic Resistance. Since it was the first week I took things easy still I think I took them too easy. This is a tough program and I wonder if I'm up to it.

Today I started my second week with workout A. I had sweat dripping off my face and I felt quite tired afterwards. Before I get into today's workout lets look at nutrition.

I had a business trip this week that took me to Albany NY and Newark NJ with a client who likes good restaurants and lots of drinking. I gave into the temptation and ate two large meals. Fortunately I have been eating well at home and doing three ESE fasts per week. In the past week my waist has gone from 87.6 to 84.5 cm (80 cm is the objective of 45 % of my 180 cm height) and mass from 77.5 to 76.3 kg. So not bad despite the over-eating.

On Saturday we had the nicest spring day so far in Southern Ontario so I took my almost 5 year old to the park along with my kettlebell to do workout D. Well after the warm-up my Daughter had a melt down and I had to spend many minutes comforting her. Craig failed to put in how many reps I'm suppose to do deadlifting a child. We came home and I did the workout on my back deck instead. Still it was nice to be out in the sun.

But hey today is about workout A.
It took me 21 minutes to do the warm-ups and that was without the foam rolling. The whole thing took me 73 minutes. I'm not moving quickly enough between exercises and supersets.

Day 1 – Workout A
• Start with the general bodyweight warm-up circuit then move into the workout.
1A) Barbell Split Squat – 8 reps per side (2-0-1) 135 lbs, this was tough
• No rest.
1B) TRX Narrow-Grip Row or Underhand Inverted Row – 1 rep short of failure (1-0-1)
I did 12 as it aggravates my injured right elbow.
• Rest 30 seconds before repeating 2 more times.
2A) Dumbbell (DB) 1-Arm Push Press – 8 reps per side (2-0-X) 45, 45, 50
• No rest.
2B) DB Off-set Grip Reverse Lunge from a Deficit – 12 reps per side (2-0-1) 45, 45, 50 , increase for the lunge next time
3A) DB or Kettlebell (KB) High Pull – 8 reps (1-0-X) 35, 40, 40 DB, increase next time
• No rest.
3B) Stability Ball Rollout or Kneeling Strap Extension – 12 reps (4-1-1)
• No rest.
3C) Decline Close-Grip Pushup – 1 rep short of failure (4-1-1) 12 each time
• No rest.
3D) Cable Chop or MB Chop – 15 reps per side (2-0-1) I used the cable machine and played around with the weight until settling on 70 lbs.
4) Close-Stance Bodyweight Squat
• 20 seconds squats followed by a 10 second hold in the bottom position
• Repeat 8 times tough
Static Stretching skipped except for the exercises for my arm and ice for the same.
Tomorrow is an off day.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:52 PM

23 May 2011 Victoria Day Holiday

Today was an off day in terms of both exercise and work as it was a holiday here in Canada. I came in at 85.4 cm waist and 76.4 kg this am which is not unexpected since yesterday was an eating day. Today I'm fasting but not a true 24 hour ESE fast as I had family treats last night after supper.

To add insult to injury I over ate when out for dinner tonight. It was my little girl's Fifth birthday and she wanted to go out for supper to our favourite restaurant. I also got stuck out in a rain storm during my evening walk and killed time with a pint of lager in a local tavern. Sigh. Weak resolve. I'll see the results on the scale tomorrow morning. Back to lifting tomorrow too.