TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 10th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2011, 01:58 PM

Default TT helped me lose weigh I always thought I never could

I have been using TT programs since June 2010. I have also participated in TC #8 and had great results: lost fat and also improved my endurance and speed in running. In my “pre-TT time” I have run my best half-marathon time in May 2010 with time 1:47:25, but in October I improved it to 1:42:59. Can you believe it? In less than 5 months I improved my PR in half-marathon for 4 minutes and 26 seconds! No special running workouts, just adding TT to my usual three weekly runs.
After TC#8 I continued doing TT workouts, but my eating wasn't quite as clean as should be. But this had always been my problem. From September to end of December 2010 I completed “Booty for Wife” and “Buff Dudes & Hot Chicks” programs. I have missed 5 (out of 36) Booty for wife workouts in 12 weeks because either I was not at home or it was race that weekend, but I have done 2 Bootcamp workouts and one “5 round of madness” workout instead. In December I was more consistent with my workouts. I have not missed a single workout of Buff Dudes & Hot Chicks. Actually I have done it for five weeks and did all intervals and also some bodyweight circuit workouts (Crazy 8 and 360 fat burning circuit) when I missed my running due to bad weather (freezing cold and showing).
Four months of working out a lot but only little results. I asked my self why. TT programs are excellent for fat loss - I tried them out myself with great success - but there are also other things required in order for them to work. First reason for lack of my success was of course my mindless eating. It is sad but totally true when Craig says that you really out train a bad diet. TT programs are great. They have kept me from going back to old me. They have also prevented gaining lot of holiday weight. They could have done much more, if I would not sabotage myself with poor eating. Second thing that has hold me back was not using all the other things that my TT premium membership provides. Having good support system at home is very important, but support from members of TT forum is also. I had TT premium membership for months, but I just read others members posts, but never wrote anything. During this contest I discovered importance of it. By logging your daily nutrition and workouts you are accountable not just to your self but also to others. If you have any problems, there is always someone to give you advice. It’s like having another family. Despite of that we are all competing against each other, they are there for you when you need them. To help you with advice and to encourage you during rough times.
Another thing I changed or added was ESE fasts. I always thought that fasting was not healthy, that it would ruin my metabolism, that I would get even fatter and there is no chance that I could stick without food for 24 hours. I learned on TT members forum that all my beliefs about fasting were actually myths. It is the simplest method of creating calorie deficit. It is torture for me to eat tiny meals and to be in constant caloric deficit. Being hungry all the time just made me think about food all the time. Not very healthy behaviour. It so much easier to eat normal sized healthy meals when you eat and then once or twice a week stop eating after lunch and then eat lunch again on next day. I admit my stomach grumbles a bit occasionally when I fast, but it passes after few minutes. I never have any problems with low energy or low blood sugar as I always thought I would have. It had helped me learn what true hunger feels like. Sometimes we think that we are hungry, but actually we are just thirsty, bored or we eat because it is time to eat or is food in front of us. Not really right reasons to eat aren’t they? ESE fasts combined with TT workouts it is helping me to lose fat that it is on me for many years - actually as long as I can remember. Something that I never thought it could be done.
During first 6 weeks of TC #10 I used TT Bodyweight Cardio 3 for first four weeks and then continued with TT Clash of the Titans programs.
I haven’t loss a lot of weight - in numbers - but in 6 weeks of this contest I have lost almost 4 % of my initial body weight and more than 2 % of body fat. Investment into TT platinum membership is the best investment I have ever made. Thank you Craig for your fantastic programs and TT members forum! Thanks to all TT forum members - you are the greatest!

My 6 weeks results:
start date: January 2nd 2011
end date: February 12th 2011
height: 170 cm
weight: 60,9 kg ->58,5 kg ... -2,4 kg
BF % (my bathroom scale): 22,9 % -> 20,7 % … -2,2 %
waist at belly button: 74 cm -> 73 cm ... -1 cm
waist at hip bone: 82 cm -> 82 cm ... no change
hips (widest): 96 cm -> 93,5 cm ... -2,5 cm
thighs (widest - L/R): 55 cm/56 cm -> 53 cm/53,5 cm ... -2 cm/-2,5 cm
thighs (middle - L/R): 50 cm/50 cm -> 48.5 cm/49 cm ... -1,5 cm/-1 cm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (82.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg side.jpg (71.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg back.jpg (80.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-25-2011, 02:40 PM

Default 6 Amazing weeks - From Frustration to Joy

Category Male under 40. (Age 38)

Before date – 15 Jan 2011, Close 25 Feb 2011.

I’ve been using TT for just under 2 years now, and have always come back to it after using other programmes that haven’t worked as well for me.

Well here is my experience of the contest; I entered on a whim! I’d entered previous competitions but had given up through getting distracted by other goals. This time though, I’m seeing it out for the full 12 weeks.

Workouts used – Original TT advanced + Bodyweight Cardio 3
TT for Buff Dudes & Hot Chicks + Bodyweight Cardio 2

My measurements are as follows (before in brackets)

Weight 157 lb (168lb) -11
Shoulders 46.5”(47.5”) -1"
Chest 37.5” (38”) -.5"
Waist 31.75”(33”) -1.25"
Neck 14.5(15.5”) - 1"
Left Bicep 13.75” (13.75”)
Hips 36.5” (37.5”) -1"
Left Thigh 20.5! (21”) -.5"

I’ve always worked hard in the gym whether doing TT or anything else, but my lifestyle has never been optimal to losing fat or gaining muscle.

I started off by using the extreme fat loss diet for a couple cycles to kick start the contest, I dropped from 168 to 162 during the first week, and then the second cycle only took me down a further pound. I then experienced 3 weeks where the scale and the tape didn’t shift.

I decided to turn this into a positive, by regaining my focus and looking at all aspects of my diets, exercise and lifestyle. In week 5 I stopped “winging it” with my diet and tracked what I was eating, and started measuring out the more calorically dense foods such as oils and nuts. I also changed to a different nutrition plan, the slow carb diet described in Tim Ferriss’s “The Four Hour Body”. These 2 changes immediately broke my plateau. In the last 10 days or so I went from 162 to 157. I didnt expect much to change between my usual weigh in day (Mondays) and today (a Friday), but I shifted another couple of pounds in 4 days with the slow carb plan and an Eat Stop Eat style 20 hour fast on Wednesday. And I was in major shock when I measured my waist this morning and it had reduced by another half inch!!!

I was already quite fit but I’ve definitely found it harder to lose fat especially as I approach the big four "o" next year. I still have plenty of fat that I want to lose, but the final result is now in sight.

The one thing that has helped me the most though has been rejoining the members’ forum. I suffer from a weakened shoulder, injured 3 years ago, and it flared up again in week 4. Access to advice from Craig and the inspiration I’ve found in my fellow TT members has kept me going. If not for that, I may have carried on, but risking injury and experiencing more and more frustration.

I also had a health assessment at the gym last Sunday, and based on their assessment, I am in the top 10% of all UK males aged 30 to 39. I’m getting toward the upper age of this scale now so I'm proud of how fit I’ve become, and it’s all because I invested in Turbulence Training two years ago.

I’m looking forward to the remaining 6 weeks. This time, I won’t lose my focus. My goal is to get as close as possible to getting rid of that little pooch on my lower abs. If I don’t place in the contest, well, there are people who have more fat to lose and deserve it more than me, but the “six pack” is going to be my trophy, and one that I’ve not seen for nearly 20 years.

I’m enjoying my transformation contest journey so far and plan to continue enjoying it for the last 6 weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final edit 1501 pic1.jpg (69.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Final edit 1501 pic2.jpg (66.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 2502 pic1.jpg (59.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 2502 pic 2.jpg (64.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 2502 pic3.jpg (62.3 KB, 19 views)

Neil Gazzillo, Telford, Shropshire, UK

My Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/neil.gazzillo

Last edited by neilg197 : 02-26-2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: typo & formatting
Old 02-25-2011, 04:05 PM

Default Amazed at what 6 short weeks can do!

Back in undergrad I had no trouble at all getting to the gym and getting a good workout in 3 or 4 days a week (I even did Turbulence Training workouts sometimes). And then I graduated and started working 2 different jobs in my year off before medical school and started finding I had less and less time to make it to the gym regularly. Last August I moved halfway across the country, started school again and somehow managed to let my workouts slip further and further. It got to the point where I’d make it to the gym only once every week or two. Something needed to change. That change I needed was the Turbulence Training transformation contest. I remember reading the email about signing up for it, and thinking that maybe it would help me re-establish my gym habits. And it has! Since week 1 of this transformation, I have consistently gotten to the gym for all of the workouts I planned and have re-ignited my love of weight training.

The accountability and support of the forums have been so incredibly valuable to my progress so far. In addition to sticking with my workout schedule, I have over the course of these first 6 weeks actually stuck to a diet plan (mostly) which I something I have NEVER in my life managed to do for more than 1 week. I’ve never before now actually stuck with logging my entire food intake for more than a few days either, and now I’m up to nearly 7 weeks of consistently tracking my food and calories using livestrong.com. I know that none of this would have happened without the TT forums and the contest. I’m so very grateful for all of the support I’ve received on my journey so far!

For years now, I’ve had the goal of getting my measurements to be 34-24-34 inches for chest-waist-hips. Until recently I thought that this goal of mine would always just be a dream. That it just wasn’t meant to be. For as long as I’ve cared about measurements and tracked mine, they’ve stayed pretty stable at 34-25-36 or 37. But after just half of this 12-week transformation, I’m realizing that it is possible. Turbulence Training combined with a sensible diet really does work! And diet really is KEY here – like Craig and Brad Pilon showed in their videos, you really can’t out train a bad diet!

During these first 6 weeks I’ve done TT Gauntlet and the first 2 weeks of TT Ballyntine’s Day Muscle Massacre. Nutrition wise, I’ve been using a 5 day cycle of 3 diet days, 1 full blown cheat day, and 1 24 hour fast day and have come to really enjoy the fasting days after getting over my initial struggles with fasting.

Results:
Day 1 (1/10/2011) – Day 42 (2/20/2011)
Height: 5 foot 6
Weight: 120.6 lbs – 118 lbs (-2.6 lbs)
Body Fat% (calculated using an average from the US Navy and YMCA circumference formulas): 20.99% - 17.49% (-3.5%)
Fat Mass: 25.3 lbs – 20.6 lbs (-4.7 lbs)
Lean Mass: 95.3 lbs – 97.4 lbs (+2.1 lbs)
Chest: 34 in- 33.5 in (-0.5 in)
Waist (smallest part): 25.25 in – 24 in (-1.25 in and at my goal that I really never thought was possible!)
Waist (at belly button): 27.5 in – 26.5 in (-1in)
Hip (widest part): 36 in – 34.25 in (-1.75 in)
Mid-thigh: 18in – 17 in (-1 in)
Upper Arm (flexed): 10 in – 10.5 in (+0.5 in)

I’m simply amazed at the changes I’ve accomplished in just 6 short weeks, and can’t wait to see how 12 weeks turns out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00834-1.jpg (74.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00857.jpg (63.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00837.jpg (62.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00855.jpg (70.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00854.jpg (61.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-25-2011, 04:08 PM

Last 2 photos.

Oh and the after photos are the ones where I actually taped the newspaper up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00835-1.jpg (80.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00852.jpg (68.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-25-2011, 10:55 PM

Someone the other day tried to convince me that it was time for me to change my exercise routine. A very popular video workout was suggested to me and my immediate thought was, “Why?” As the old saying goes, ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.’

I can only suppose that they thought they had my best interest in mind. The thinking of course is that when you’ve been doing something for so long, it must be time to change in order to continue to challenge your body. But the fabulous thing about Turbulence Training is that it has change built in. Unlike a video, which has a very limited repertoire of exercise programs, there is a seemingly endless array of Turbulence Training workouts. On top of that, each set of workouts has variety along with instructions to switch to a new workout after 4 weeks time. So with TT, the challenge is reinstated just as the body begins to adjust to the program.

While prior to this contest TT had consistently been a winner for me, I did wonder how much progress I could really expect to see in 12 weeks, let alone the first 6 weeks of this particular contest. See, I’m at the point in my “quest” where I am (to quote fellow TTer Starbuck), “chiseling the fine lines in the marble now - not hacking off big chunks with a sledgehammer”. While this quote wasn’t said about me, I felt that it applied at this stage of my journey and I certainly couldn’t have said it any better. I have already “hacked off the big chunks” in earlier contests and my focus in this contest was in the detail. In fact, the main goal for me this contest has been to shrink my lower belly.

My questions about what I could expect to achieve speak nothing of what I think of TT but rather more about whether or not I could do what I needed to do to “chisel the lines in the marble”.

As I set off on this most recent 6 week journey, I knew that I had to be tougher on myself with regard to nutrition. I had to allow fewer “slip ups” in nutrition and had to maintain a constant, focused approach. So in addition to doing Eat-Stop-Eat twice a week, I also paid careful attention to portion size. My meals had similar structure to them, with all including protein and one or more fruits and/or vegetables. I also included an occasional grain. I limited my snacks to one mid-afternoon fruit snack (with an occasional protein side) and an occasional late-night snack of a fruit smoothie supplemented with protein and often, spinach. Despite this, I still allowed myself the once or twice-a-week “splurge”. I like this term “splurge” because for me this suggests a once-in-awhile fun food that is not part of my usual nutritional plan.

For my training program, I chose to continue in the 6-month Bodyweight Manual. For the contest thus far, I have worked in phase 2 and 3 of the manual. I absolutely love the bodyweight exercises. I find that since two of my three weekly TT workouts are done in the evening, it is much easier to complete the workout quickly and without hassle if I stick with the bodyweight exercises. I have found these workouts to be enjoyable and challenging. Additional goals of mine this contest were to see gains in strength on push-ups, pull-ups and chin-ups and the bodyweight workouts have definitely helped me to see such gains.

I’ve also had a psychological change that has accompanied me these 6 weeks. For one, I feel very much in control of my food choices and do not feel in any way like food is controlling me. Second, I feel empowered by the fact that I have now stuck with a well-balanced exercise program, consistently, for the past 9 ½ months. This is precisely the same amount of time that I have been doing TT. I cannot recall any time in my life where I have stuck with a program on a regular schedule for such a length of time. Again, I feel as though I have control over this part of my life which I have never previously had control over for very long. And all the changes I’ve seen in terms of strength and endurance gains and inches lost of course are extra motivation that makes me want to continue on this track. Who needs a new program when this one is just so awesome?!

People around me are starting to take notice of the changes I have made. I’ve heard comments recently relating to how much weight I’ve lost in such a short time. I just laugh at these comments because I actually haven’t lost that much weight in these 6 weeks, but yet I do acknowledge that the changes I’ve made to my body in this time have been significant and noticeable. Some people have asked what I’ve been doing. My students have asked me whether “today is my running day” as they’ve seen me out on campus running intervals. One student told me that he runs everyday but couldn’t even begin to keep up with me. He then suggested that he and another student run with me so that they could get in better shape. A few of my students told me that when they saw me running on campus they initially thought I was a student and were surprised to see that it was me. One student even asked me for workout advice – wanting to know whether she should be running intervals as opposed to running for 30 minute sessions and also wanting to know whether lifting low weight for high reps would keep her from bulking up; her boyfriend wanted her to do this, but she was disappointed in her lack of progress. When she changed to lifting heavy and running intervals, she noticed immediate strength gains and was pleased as the inches started to drop from her waist.

I think the best part of this contest has been that I feel like I am making a positive impact on my students that goes beyond their academics – that goes to their health. If even one of them is inspired to change something they do for the better as the result of my example, then that truly is worthwhile. Besides my students, I continue to be a source of support for my family members. My husband and I support one another on a daily basis in both our exercise programs and our food choices. He has commented that he needs to be sure to keep up with me, which provides him extra motivation.

The changes I have been able to make at each stage of my journey by continuing within the same overall program simply amaze me. I have seen my body and my overall well-being improve significantly since I started TT and the past 6 weeks are again no exception. TT certainly is not “broke” and doesn’t need any fixing; in fact, it’s the most well-designed program that I could ever have hoped to find!

“Over 40” women
Stats - day 1/day 42 (change)
waist (narrowest) 28.5" / 27" (-1.5")
belly button 30" / 28.25" (-1.75")
below belly button 32.25" / 29.5" (-2.75")
hips (widest part) 37" / 36.5" (-0.5")
shoulders 42.25" / 42.75" (+0.5")
thigh L 21.25" / 20.75" (-0.5")
thigh R 22" / 21.25" (-0.75")
weight 137 lb / 133 lb (-4 lb)
caliper skin fold measurements - I picked 4 places that I could consistently measure and all were on my abdominal region:
-at hip bone (same measurement on both sides) 1/4" to 3/16" (-1/16")
-at belly button (right below) 3/4" to 7/16" (-5/16")
-on lower belly (right above C-sect scar) 5/8" to 5/16" (-5/16")
-half-way between hip bone and belly button (same meas. on both sides) 7/8" to 5/8" (-1/4")
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of IMG_1276-1.JPG (40.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of IMG_1453.JPG (40.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of IMG_1280.JPG (39.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of IMG_1455.JPG (39.3 KB, 28 views)

Old 02-26-2011, 07:58 AM

Smile Ali's Journey So Far....

My Journey So Far….

4 months ago I gave birth to my first child (Ashlyn). Pregnancy and child birth brought all that was promised: weight gain, a changing body, exhaustion, hormones and a lack of time. Like all new moms I was looking to get my body back, but there was a lot working against me. I found Craig’s TT programs and was a bit skeptical, as I have always focused on long hours of endless cardio. Weights I thought? Work out less? 3 workouts a week? 10 minutes of cardio?? Is this a joke? It can’t be true!

I’ve always been afraid of lifting weights- thinking that they were just for the guys. However, I figured I had just watched my body grow and grow over 40 weeks. What could be the worst that could happen by lifting some weights?! Yes- I would give it a go. I started the 12 week challenge ten pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight (12 weeks after birth). However, my goal wasn’t for a skinnier version of me. My goal was/is for a transformation. I want to be fit, strong and lean.

After 2 weeks- I was hooked. The scariest part of my journey was the day I graduated from the cardio side of the gym to the ‘boys side’ with the heavier free weights. As intimidating as it was- I kept my focus. I now love the stares that I get when I’m doing elevated pushups (in the zone with my music on) while the big boys are sitting around chatting between sets. I’m in the gym, I work my butt off and I’m out. The best stares I get are when I pick up my four month old baby from the crèche after my work out!

Thank you Craig (and everybody in the forum)! You have opened up a whole new world for new moms. I’ve finally gained the confidence to enroll in my personal training course- and I can’t wait to start using TT workouts on the new moms out there! I already have a list of moms at moms group asking what the heck I am doing! If you had told me a year ago that I would be in better shape now than I was pre-pregnancy I would not have believed you! And I definitely wouldn’t have believed that it would be through weights and working out less!

My Stats:
Height: 5’10
Measurements: Start/End (Change)
Weight: 141.0/133.2 (-7.8 lbs)
Body Fat: 21.5/17.6 (-3.9%)
Chest: 31.0/29.0 (-2)
Waist: 26.0/24.0 (-2)
Belly Button: 30.0/28.0 (-2)
Hips: 35.0/33.0 (-2)
Thigh: 21.0/19.0 (-2)
Calf: 14.3/13.8 (-0.5)
Bicep: 10.2/9.0 (-1.2)
Neck: 13.2/12.0 (-1.2)

My Workouts:
-Original TT
-Buff Dudes and Hot Chicks
-I’ve also just introduced the 6 minute ab workout (loving it!)
-Off days are normally a short run with the baby stroller and/or dog, or a walk by the ocean with ankle weights or the baby bjorn.

My Nutrition:
-Tom Venuto (Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle):
-50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat
-10 to 20% under my TDEE with higher calorie days every 2-3 days.
-I have to keep my calories fairly high as I’m still breastfeeding!

Can’t wait to see what the next 6 weeks brings……….
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of TT Challenge G Winner Ali Ripp.jpg (58.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of Ali Side-horz.jpg (48.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of Ali Front Biceps-horz.jpg (57.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of Ali Back-horz.jpg (57.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of Ali Front 2-horz.jpg (60.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-26-2011, 08:43 AM

Thumbs up Garth: My Wife Got Pregnant but I got Fat….

My Wife Got Pregnant but I got Fat….

I’ve always managed to lead an active life. Sure you have ups and downs with weight management throughout your life, but I never thought it would happen to me. How wrong!!! I’ve always played sport but just been one of those guys that still carries the weight. Over the past 6 years I’ve seen an incline in my weight. It wasn’t until my wife got pregnant 12 months ago, I was joking around and said to some friends that I was going ‘pound for pound’ with her in weight gain. Oh dear- it happened! I blew out from 204 lbs to 229 lbs. The heaviest I have ever been. How did this happen?

I’ve tried a number of training programs over the years but never seem to get any further than 3 weeks in. The 4th week I hit that brick wall and it’s all over red rover.

My wife had suggested that we try Craig’s TT workouts as she felt I may enjoy them more and be able to focus on some realistic goals. She was right, the gym became my friend and I found a new love for hard work. I was able to focus on the core strengths and not just a result. ‘Good things come to those who wait’ I would keep saying. I never believed in the photo idea as I have only seen growth outwards. Well after 6 weeks of dedication and persistence I looked at my before and after photos and now ‘I believe’!

With thanks to Craig’s workout regime and my wife’s persuasion I can see a difference and now relish what the next 6 weeks will bring. I am even more determined to reach my goals and strive for inner balance.

I tried on a shirt the other day that I haven’t worn for years and it fit- wow! My wife promised to buy me a new wardrobe after the 12 week challenge if I met my goals. I’m looking forward to shopping….

I’ve been following everybody’s transformations on the forum- but am looking forward to being more interactive with the transformation team (TT)!

My Stats:
Height: 6’0
Measurements: Start/End (Change)
Weight: 229.0/213.0 (-16.0 lbs)
Body Fat: 29+/23.2 (-5.8+%)
Chest: 43.0/39.0 (-4.0 inches)
Waist: 42.0/35.5 (-6.5)
Hips/Butt: 47.0/43.0 (-4.0)
Thigh: 26.0/25.0 (-1.0)
Calf: 18.0/17.0 (-1.0)
Bicep: 15.0/13.5 (-1.5)
Neck: 15.5/14.5 (-1.0)