TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 11th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2011, 01:49 AM

Waleed, how are things in your neck of the woods? I hope it stays calm and gives you a chance to really get the results you're looking for.

~Amanda

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
Steve Prefontaine

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."
- Beverly Sills

Avatar Picture is Jamie Eason. A very amazing woman in the fitness industry. Want to look like her!
Old 05-31-2011, 11:06 AM

Well, it's taken me some time to get back to the forums but my contest efforts are still very much alive and going well. Between travelling, work and working out, there doesn't seem to be much time left over at the end of the day!

The contest started off really tough for me with a personal tragedy that I'm still coming to terms with. I'm not sure I'm ready to share what happened just yet but it was very difficult and there were times when I would wonder how I would make it through the day, let alone through a TT contest. But through prayer and the support of family and loved ones, things are on the mend and will be okay...

So...I started the contest on May 7 as planned and took my starting pics. The scales showed that I had creeped up above the 110 Kg mark, somewhere I haven't been for a few years and I was extremely disappointed that this was the case. However, looking at my numbers (being an engineer, I'm big on recording all my numbers) it seems that I have gained almost 10 Kg of muscle since I started TT at the start of 2008. So, while it would be nice to get the weight down, maybe I haven't done as much damage as I thought.

My nutrition has been the best it has been for a very long time although it's all too easy to over-do it with starchy carbs in particular. I'm eating mostly vegetarian during the week with the fish now and again leaving chicken and red meat only on the weekends. My gout seems to have flared up again (confirmed with a blood-test) so I need to watch the purine-rich foods for a while. To be honest, I don't even miss eating meat or chicken and I'm enjoying experimenting with vegetarian food. It's a challenge when I'm travelling but then, in this part of the world, it's easy to find Arabic restaurants that will serve excellent hummus, tabouleh and falafel.

As for my workouts, I've started with "Big 6" (one of all-time favourites) just to ease my back into the workout mind-set and rebuild some conditioning. Summer has come early in our part of the world so we're well into swimming season and that's a great choice for off-day workouts. But I'm enjoying long walks (average 6 km each time) as well as cycling (average 20 Km each ride) and what makes it even more fun is using the Endomondo app on my smart phone which uses the GPS in the phone to track the workouts (only works when working out outside of course). The workouts (speed, distance etc) get uploaded to the Endomondo web-site and they give you all sorts of information like showing the route on a map, stats, personal bests, graphs etc. And of course, you can share all of this information with your friends (or the whole world) so it's like fitness meets social networking. It's great fun and it's an incentive for me to get out there and do a workout.

I hope the contest is going well for everyone and I'm going to spend some time to catch up with everyone soon.

Find me on Facebook
Old 05-31-2011, 01:32 PM

Hey Waleed:

Glad to see you are still going strong! I like the idea of chicken and meat just on weekends - will have to try to incorporate that.

Keep going....

Kerry
Old 05-31-2011, 09:52 PM

Smile

Hi Waleed

so good to see you back, I was just thinking about you the other day, as I spoke to my brother who lives in Abu Dhabi now ( moved from Dubai) and you always pop into my head as you are the only one I know that lives over that way!

Sorry to hear about your personal loss, I am amazed you have managed to keep on track, but looks like you have. Workouts and nutrition are fab, well done. Wish I had done the same, I am too easily distracted by other stuff. Your grit and character are showing through

Keep up the great work

and keep smiling

cheers for now Katie
Old 05-31-2011, 09:59 PM

Hi Waleed,

I'm still here too!!

Sorry for your personal tragedy. Anything like that can throw you right out of sync. It's great that you have a loving family and friends to support you.

Good news tha you're still going strong and looking forward to hearing more of your travails.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:25 PM

Well, I made to the finish line. Not much to show for it though and I explain the reasons why in my essay below:

"This contest for me was just about crossing the finish line. The political situation and unrest in my home country made it difficult to focus on the last contest and not having worked out consistently nor being particularly careful with my nutrition, I decided to drop out. I was determined that for TT11, no matter what the final result, I would finish.

I started the contest with a particularly difficult personal situation - my wife and I lost our twin baby boys at birth - but I managed to work my way through it with the support of family and friends and made quite a strong start with one of my favourite TT workouts, TT Big 6. I completed nearly all the workouts and was feeling good about my prospects for the contest.

I then decided to really push myself out of my comfort zone and decided to give Bodyweight Cardio 3 a shot. I knew that it was going to be a tough workout and that there were some exercises that I simply wouldn't be able to so (pull-ups and chin-ups, for example) but I really wanted to try something new and intense, especially one that I could to indoors as it had become too hot to workout outside. I loved it. The workouts would leave me drenched in sweat and trembling, they would "hurt" and I couldn't even get past the third circuit in the circuit workout but I felt quite proud at having given it a shot and learning some new exercises I've never done before. My main goal remains reducing belly fat and this sort of workout was the exact prescription that I needed.

Then the problems began. About halfway through the contest, my energy levels started to fall, I would have vertigo most of the time, felt lethargic and sleepy all the time and my fat loss stopped. I was eating right, sleeping enough and working out and yet feeling bad. Even after taking a few days off from working out, I felt just as bad. It turns out, it was a side-effect of medication I was taking for suspected gout. While I've taken this medicine before without problems, my doctor has recently increased the dose and this was enough to cause the side-effects I was experiencing. I stopped the medication and the symptoms began to clear up...when I got hit by one of the worst bouts of flu I think I've ever had.

The symptoms were very severe and I was hardly able to work let alone workout and to make things worse, the flu took about 3 weeks to clear up.

I was almost symptom-free when I developed an outer in middle ear infection. It was one of the work medical episodes I've ever had with excruciating pain.

So the second half of the contest was a total wipe-out for me but like I said, I was determined to cross the line no matter what. The reason I look so miserable in my "after" pictures is that I'm still in considerable pain and have lost all hearing on my left side.

While I finished the contest with no changes whatsoever, I don't consider it to be a complete failure for me. I tried a new, intense workout which seemed to be very beneficial - my skin (I suffer from psoriasis) would get noticeably better the day after the workout. My overall sense of well-being improved (second 6 weeks notwithstanding). I discovered the joys of jump rope as an off day activity and I introduced an arms and back workout with weights to compensate for the body-weight workouts.

As far as I am concerned, when looking at the big picture, I have made another small step in the right direction. And I will be back for the next contest to take the next contest - this time much bigger - step."

I was true to my contest thread title and didn't give up and I will definitely be back for TT 12.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BeforeFront.JPG (86.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg BeforeSide.JPG (89.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg AfterFront.jpg (88.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg AfterSide.jpg (85.9 KB, 3 views)