TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 7th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2010, 09:56 AM

Talking Yay me!

Thank you Waleed for warning me I was slacking too long and had to get my "after" pics up!

This was by fay my best and quickest contest yet. I started Jan 4, a week after recovering from a NASTY nearly life threatening bacterial infection that cost me my job due to being hospitalized. Good thing about that, is it killed off all my junk food cravings and made it very easy to go vegetarian/mostly vegan through January. As is usual with my workout ADD I jumped around in my workouts every 2-3 weeks. Started with 2K10 which was an AWESOME butt kicking workout, and I was using my high intensity interval dvds I bought since in witner is when I usually cant stick with the HIIT. Weight and inches dropped off me steadily thru february, when I hit my skinniest in 3 years, for our annual "anti-valentines" day bash. (Leopard print dress pic). However, it was that month I learned Craig's valuable lesson to stay natural and skip the supplements!

I was all sorts of hyped up to stay vegan so I started eating a lot of nut based recipes (cashews, almonds, macadamias) and discovered what was first a blessing, then a bane, with my "raw-colate muffin" & nut "cheese" recipes, which was great for staving off pms cravings and ditching the dairy, but when eaten too much, as I found keeping my food journal, I am apparently with my low thyroid, sensitive to nuts (per The Thyroid Diet book). I started puffing up and gaining weight, and the coffee was a HORRID set back too!! For every coffee I drink, i gain 2 lbs. NO idea why!! So in a week I shot up 6-8 lbs. In my horror at boomeranging back up, I started a super low calorie, high supplementation diet which stopped my weight loss dead in it's tracks, as I started overtraining with some very heavy weight lifting and slacking on my intervals with Transformation 2 Judgement day and a workout from another fitness guy. I should KNOW better on ditching the cardio and doing too much, straying from Craig's "less is better" tried and true method!!! I bulk up WAY too easy no matter what anyone says.

So around early march I eased off the weights and started doing AAA Abs, Craig's TT bootcamps and Big 6 Fat loss circuits, mostly bodyweight exercises, added in more bike intervals and running in the woods, and ditched most of my supplements and stuck with what worked with my thyroid. Creatine DOES NOT work for me!! It made me retain so much water and be SO bloated I wanted to cry! I have trouble sometimes drinking enough aqua so I trashed that as quick as could be lol. Wheat went bye bye again, and I went back to veggies and fruit. I have a hard time trying to find the happy balance between eating too many calories, and quick frequently not eating enough so my metabolism slows way down. I seem to be on track now and heading for my best bikini season YET!

All the non-newspaper pics were from early march, St Pattys day in the green and my bday (march 20) in the peacock dress, out having a blast with my friends but not drinking too much or eating the bad food like them. I even went to TX and didnt touch one single carb (other then fruit based or a potato once) the entire time i was there, and only had a few drinks the day before I left when, no surprise, my fiance and I broke up for good. I actually dropped 4 lbs when I got home!! Can I retake my pics Craig?? hehe My last day was taken March 27, hurriedly while Carl was downstairs washing and waxing his precious BMW bike. Amusingly, I was super sick in this photo, no voice, the worst bronchitis ever from an already bad cold when I arrived, exascerbated by high altitude, 70mph winds blowing and inhaling massive dust, and some weird effect on my girl hormones which caused my body to go haywire and retain water like crazy. Ah well, there's always next contest. I am utterly happy with the lessons I learned this time around, and the continually new workouts Craig pumps out to keep me from getting board, and keep my muscles always wondering what's coming next. The older I get, the healthier and sexier I get, and that is friggin FABULOUS by me! I will be rocking the Booty for Life this summer, and if you're smart ladies, you will get on board with it too!! Take care and see ya back on the boards in a few more months!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skinny.jpg (51.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 23579_393053031092_721146092_5450747_3906592_n.jpg (79.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 24016_399895026092_721146092_5477126_4838251_n.jpg (24.9 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 27214_382121175558_707895558_3765375_3513227_n.jpg (77.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg me.jpg (46.6 KB, 51 views)
- Helen Keller

"Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist but the ability to
start over."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!"
- Kate Moss

http://www.facebook.com/#/grrpurr75?ref=profile
Old 04-09-2010, 09:56 AM

Oh yeah, it might be helpful to post my "official" pics and before and after stats!!! Sheeeeeeeeesh!!! If i had taken my "after" meausurements n pics in Feb I'd be a whole lot more impressive!!

Measurements: Start End Difference
Arms: 11" 10 3/4 -1/4"
Forearm: 9 1/4 9 - 1/4"
Bust: 34 1/2" 33 1/2 - 1"
Ribs: 30 1/2 29 1/4 - 1 1/2"
Waist: 28 3/4 27 3/4 - 1"
Bellybutton: 33 1/4 31 1/4 - 2"
Hips: 35 1/2 33 3/4 - 1 3/4"
Butt: 37 1/2 36 3/4 - 3/4"
Thighs: 22 3/4 22 - 3/4"
Above knee: 16 15 3/4 - 1/4"
Calves: 14 1/2 14 1/4 - 1/4"
Total inches lost: 9 3/4"
Weight: 134.4 127.8 6.6 lbs
BF: 23.3 20% 3.3%

Ah well. The skinnier I get the less dramatic measurements and weight I'll have to show, now it's time to work on bodyfat!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ttcontest7 002.jpg (94.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg tt7 002.jpg (69.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg ttcontest7 006.jpg (69.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg tt7 005.jpg (73.0 KB, 76 views)
- Helen Keller

"Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist but the ability to
start over."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!"
- Kate Moss

http://www.facebook.com/#/grrpurr75?ref=profile

Last edited by grrpurr75 : 04-09-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: forgot pics n measurements
Old 04-09-2010, 01:27 PM

Transformation Contest No. 7 Essay Andrew Lowry

28 December 2009 to 21 March 2010

I have adopted the Turbulence Training lifestyle to keep me young as I enter my 50s. I am active in martial arts with younger opponents. I also want to keep up with my energetic 3-year-old Daughter as she grows. My job, which involves lots of traveling, can be tiring and hard on the body. I survive by keeping fit. The flexibility of the TT methods allows me to work out where ever I am and yet still enjoy beers out with my friends (without the beer gut). Being fit and lean via Turbulence Training helps me live the life that I want.

My objective in this exercise was to get stronger and now I am at my strongest. In twelve weeks my bench press went up 50 % as did my pull-ups and chin-ups and my row went up 30 %. My deadlift and squat increased 30 % and 15 % respectively. All this thanks to TT for Meathead workouts.

I do martial arts so I need to be strong to do my sport. I am 50 and regularly go toe to toe against nineteen and twenty year-olds. During the Transformation Contest my sparring partners commented that my martial skill improved making me a more challenging opponent. I enjoy playing with my three year-old Daughter and I am fit enough to do so while she groups up.

For this workout I used TT Meatheads version 1 and 2 for the first 8 weeks and TT Jacked and Lean for the final four weeks. In addition to using the Turbulence Training workouts I read Craig Ballantyne’s blog and listened to his podcasts. The regular advice and information helped me to improve week to week. One great piece of advice was to do at least one personal best at each workout. Therefore each day in the gym I increased the weight or the repetitions on at least one exercise.

I did not track my nutrition closely generally just eating whole foods and when I was hungry. Living with a vegetarian helped to make sure that I had good food at my finger tips. The last four weeks I fasted two days a week following Brad Pilon’s, ‘Eat, Stop, Eat’. Business trips during the Olympics were a challenge. Sitting in a bar watching the Olympics, with an expense account, was too much of a temptation for me not to drink beer. Still despite these challenges I lost fat on my waist and hips and gained muscle on my chest. My waist went down 2.5 cm (1 inch) and my chest increased 2.5 cm (1 inch) and my body mass went down 2.8 kg (6 lbs).

At the end of the twelve weeks I was the strongest I have ever been at the same time I dropped body fat. Overall it was a success. Thanks Craig!

Comparison stats kg & cm
Before / After (Difference)

Age 50
Height 180 cm
Mass 81.1 / 78.3 (-2.8 kg or – 6 lbs)
Neck 38.5 / 38 (-0.5)
Chest 102 / 104.5 (+2.5)
Waist 94 / 91.5 (-2.5)
Hip 89.5 / 88 (-1.5)
Arm Right Upper 33 / 33.5 (+0.5)
Arm Right Lower 29 / 27.5 (-1.5)
Leg Left Upper 53 / 53 (0.0)
Leg Left Lower 39 / 39.5 (+0.5)

Pictures are attached. I will throw up a few more along with the newspaper pictures in a separate post.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:34 PM

More pictures and the newspaper close-up shots
Old 04-09-2010, 04:59 PM

There's a reason why I look miserable in my 'after' photo. I had such high expectations during this contest and I missed the mark by a long shot. The only consolation was that I didn't finish worse off than when I started.

I got off to a really strong start and I was making some great gains in the first 5 weeks or so. Nutrition was good and I was hitting all of my workouts consistently. I then got blind-sided by a few issues - work, my knees, some health issues and my wife becoming quite ill.

My original plan was to return to circuit-type workouts for this contest as I really enjoy them and I like the way they mix up all the exercises. But I started experiencing problems with my left knee in particular and this prevented me from doing most 1-leg exercises and I was restricted to doing squats and variations. At the same time, I started showing all the symptoms of hypothyroidism. I've had thyroid problems for a while and medication has generally helped me out but this time even the simplest bodyweight workout would leave me exhausted after one circuit or superset (I didn't seem to have a problem with intervals strangely enough). So after a few visits to the doctor and a couple of blood tests, the dosage of the medication was adjusted and things seem to be getting back on track.

But by far the worse distraction this time was stress from work. I'm sort of used to having a lot of stress in my life and I thought that I had learned to keep it under control but it was obvious that this was not the case. The result was that I was living my life in "crisis mode" for an extended period and unfortunately, the first thing to go was exercise. Soon after, eating properly also fell by the way-side and I kept telling myself that all I had to do was to get through one more week and then my life would return to normal and I could return to working out and eating right as soon as I was done with the issues I was facing at work. Well, that week turned into about 6 and that's how I missed another opportunity to improve my health and fitness.

I have learned a lot during this contest. I have learned the importance of planning and how not planning for everyday issues like work and family can and will get in the way of my fitness goals too. I have learned that no situation is that bad that it requires one to live in a state of panic and to let healthy habits to fall by the wayside as a result. I have learned that when things are tough and I'm struggling, I should be spending more time in the forums looking for help and support instead of waiting for when "I have more time". I learned that perhaps I am and always was in the past an emotional eater and it was only the previous gains I'd made in eating right that had exposed me to this during this contest. And finally, I have learned that I'm not quite strong enough yet to truly transform my body and health to what I want - I don't mean physical strength but strength of mind and character.

I need to also say that if it wasn't for the support I received on these forums and the watchful eyes of TT Members who are also my Facebook friends, I may not have finished the contest at all. I felt somewhat accountable to them to at least finish, no matter what the result so everything Craig tells us and keeps telling us about social support is true.

So, I have my work cut out for me in the next contest 8. I will be taking a long hard look at everything that went wrong and I plan to emerge from this stronger, better prepared and focused on that lean, fit, healthy body that I am determined to have. I'm not a quitter, never have been and so I will be back again and again until the job gets done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-01-10.JPG (95.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-04-02.JPG (92.3 KB, 33 views)