TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 14th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 11:09 AM

Smile Eat Stop Eat

Hi guys, hope you are all getting on well with the contest.

Just wondering how other members have incorporated ESE into their plans. Do people eat fruit/drink protein shake and green tea on fast days? I've tweeted Brad and waiting for a response as it's not too clear. He does account for slippage, so I'm thinking it's ok. And as CB has said, no one gets fat eating fruit. lol.

Regards,

Rickster
Old 06-06-2012, 11:10 AM

also, are you guys fasting on training days?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Default no fruit/protein shake, but tea ok

Hi guys, just had a reply from @BradPilon. He said no to the fruit and protein, yes to the tea.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:52 PM

I'm not doing the contest this time around. I have done ESE for a while. When you are fasting you do not eat anything with calories--water, unsweetened tea or coffee with no milk, cream or other things added. That is all. You eat when you break the fast, not before or you are not fasting.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:55 AM

I have great success with ESE, when I use it. Yes minimal calories during the fast. I have some sugar free gum or diet soda sometimes so I get a few calories. Even my usual black coffee has some calories. There is a pod cast from about 18 months ago between Brad and Craig. He talks about having some milk in your coffee or tea if that is the way you have to have it but to watch the slippery slope. I suggest you listen to the podcast.

I train and do sports or anything else I normally do while fasting or fed. For me it makes no difference. Since I don't worry about pre and post workout nutrition being on a fast is not a big issue.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:53 PM

The great thing about ESE is it is so easy. As the others have said, you go about your day and just drink zero calorie drinks so you are hydrated. Water is really the best, but I allow myself a little bit of iced black coffee (don't care for hot coffee) and a diet soda. Usually the coffee has some artificial sweetener in it. I chew gum occasionally, which gives a grand total of 5 calories. I'd just watch the caffeine intake, because the few times I've allowed myself some caffeine, I get jittery, causing me to end the fast early to get some food into my body.

I've had great success with it for both weight loss and maintenance, as long as I don't overeat the rest of the week. I've done workouts while fasting, too - really, just go about your day as usual minus the calories.

Good luck!

Old 06-08-2012, 12:06 PM

ESE is great. No stress about what to eat. Easier for me to fast for caloric deficit. Have to remember not to "make up for it" with your later meals. I chew gum, probably too much, and drink coffee. Workouts are no problem at all. Try it. Concetta
Old 06-08-2012, 01:34 PM

I was just thinking about trying this yesterday. I read the whole book this morning. People seem to think that eating 800 calories for a few days a week (higher cal other days) lowers metabolism and stops weightloss but if I just change it to a fast then all of a sudden it boost fat loss. How strange. That's about all you could eat in 2 meals before and after the fast. And there would actually be 4days like this. Am I not getting something?
Old 06-08-2012, 11:38 PM

A slowdown of metabolism will take more than a couple of days of eating very low calories. Metabolism is very consistent, and really does not change that much. We have been led astray by mainly supplement companies that our metabolism can be easily changed and sped up with things like certain supplements, or certain eating patterns. In reality the supplements many make a small difference for a short period of time, then your body adapts to it and your metabolism returns to where it was. As for meal frequency, there is a load of research that shows how many meals you eat your daily calories in make no difference to metabolism is the number of calories is the same. For diet to slow metabolism it requires a long term of low calorie consumption. That is why the general advice for those who are not obese is eat between your BMR and your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). Ideally a good number is about 15-20% below your TDEE. If you did ESE as laid out, that is about what 2 fast days a week would give you.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileysowner
A slowdown of metabolism will take more than a couple of days of eating very low calories. Metabolism is very consistent, and really does not change that much. We have been led astray by mainly supplement companies that our metabolism can be easily changed and sped up with things like certain supplements, or certain eating patterns. In reality the supplements many make a small difference for a short period of time, then your body adapts to it and your metabolism returns to where it was. As for meal frequency, there is a load of research that shows how many meals you eat your daily calories in make no difference to metabolism is the number of calories is the same. For diet to slow metabolism it requires a long term of low calorie consumption. That is why the general advice for those who are not obese is eat between your BMR and your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). Ideally a good number is about 15-20% below your TDEE. If you did ESE as laid out, that is about what 2 fast days a week would give you.
Okay so you are suppose to eat maintenance on 3 days and the days that includes a fast will be a lot less. I was thinking eat as normal meant the amount I eat on a diet. (wasn't thinking)
Ya I knew it wasn't bad on metabolism by incorporating a few 800-1000 calorie days (per a well known trainer) but everyday or long term is harmful. ESE says a few months of low calorie like 800 won't hurt metabolism or cause muscle loss as long as you are training. I def did that.
Thank you for the helpful reply. Very well explained!! :-)