TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 14th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollybeggar View Post
Ok, week one almost done. Been kickin butt with 24/7 phase 1 workouts. Eating has been a mess. I'm fasting in the morning, juicing in the afternoons and then juicing with extra protein powder added to the juice for muscle recovery after my workouts.

I do great until 8pm and then get the munchies something fierce. Craving grains for some reason. 2 almond butter and jelly sandwiches with 2 big glasses of milk. I'm pretty much sabatoging myself every night.

Looking into the Primal diet to what that does for me.

Any feedback from the 2 past winners doing TC14?

Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only help.
Hey Jolly, I started eating primal/paleo in November last year when I was feeling the worst I've probably been feeling in the last 10 years. I had no energy, my skin was out of control (I suffer from psoriasis), my arthritis was also bad (side effect of the psoriasis), I was depressed and considering medication and I was feeling crappy overall. I was having great difficulty losing even a few pounds despite "watching what I eat" and working out. My cravings for bread and wheat got so bad that I was having a croissant and a doughnut everyday in the morning and still wanted more.

I came across Mark Sisson's "Primal Blueprint" whilst researching barefoot running (I landed on the MovNat web-site and there was some cross-advertizing deal they were doing for Mark's new book). I bought both his books on the spot.

I started reading the books the moment they arrived and started eating the "primal" way before I even finished the first book. The changes since then have been amazing. I did everything what the book said and gave up grains, sugar, , legumes, seed oils, processed food etc and switched to a whole natural food diet including animal protein, vegetables, some fruit and a whole bunch of natural fats like nuts, avocados and fatty fish.

I actually ate this way once before in 2006 although it wasn't called "primal" or "paleo" at the time, after I read Mark Hyman's Ultrametabolism and I lost 15 Kg within 3 months without even trying.

Eating this way just makes so much sense to me and seems to be really well suited to my body. I'm no longer hungry, I feel like I'm eating whatever I want, as much as I want but at the same time, I'm eating A LOT LESS food than I was before. It's helped me to listen to my body more carefully and there are times when if I don't feel like eating, I won't as opposed to before when I would eat because it was "dinner time". I tried calorie counting, eating 5-6 smaller meals per day and a few others in the past and I found that I was always thinking about food or feeling hungry and unsatisfied. Not anymore. It's also easy for me to eat this way when I travel, which I do a lot for work, and it's easy to find primal-friendly foods. Eating this way was one of the reasons why I was a finalist in TT12.

One reason why you may be getting cravings is that you may consuming quite a lot of sugar from the juices (unless they're veggie only juices) and milk. Lactose in milk is just nother form of sugar. I've actually given up most kinds of juices for some time, even before I went primal. I have no doubt that natural fresh-squeezed juices are better than those that come in packets, jars or boxes but think of it this way - to make one glass of orange juice, you might need 3 or 4 oranges. Could you actually eat 3 or 4 oranges in one go? Not likely, because of Nature's wonderful packaging - the fibre, pulp and everything else that is in the orange. Just eat the whole orange instead.

This approach has worked for me and I honestly feel this is something I can sustain for the rest of my life. We had to make some small adjustments at home but it was not hard. Gone are the canola, corn and sunflower oils we used for cooking and these have been replaced with real butter, coconut oil and olive oil. I mostly drink plain ol' water, green tea, black decaf coffee and soda or sparkling water. I may have a bowl of bone broth and an avocado or salad for breakfast and then I'm good to go until about 2pm when I typically have lunch.

It may not be for everyone but I would certainly recommend giving it a try. Take the "30 day challenge" - give up grains and all sugar for 30 days. If you don't feel better, you've lost nothing and can try something else or go back to the what you were doing before.

Find me on Facebook
Old 06-05-2012, 12:53 PM

This approach has worked for me and I honestly feel this is something I can sustain for the rest of my life.

The above is a key statement in this whole thing...........changing habits and being able to stick with them..........

With sugar, I know the more I have, the more I want..........so the best thing is not to WANT it.............
Old 06-09-2012, 06:16 PM

Hey Fellow TCers. I've been traveling so I'm getting back to the forum.

Great week of clean eating last week. Juiced 2 meals a day and the one meal I did eat was gluten free and loaded with protein and other goodness.

I just picked up Muscle Metabolic Massacre and I'm starting that today. This will be my next 3-4 weeks of workouts and then I switch over to MRT 2.0.

I'm off to do workout A of TT MMM. See you on the other side.

“You can’t always be the fastest or the strongest, but you can always try the hardest.” - sign in Jay Ferruggia's Renegade Gym
Old 06-10-2012, 10:01 AM

ow...ow....ow....I'm really sore today. Workout A of Muscle Massacre is all legs and abs and the dreaded Bulgarian Split squates are in the mix. I hate those.'

My 15 yr old son worked out with me for the first time yesterday. He's decided to run the Warrior Dash with me in September. It's a 3 mile obstacle course much like what Craig just ran yesterday.

This will be fun to watch his transformation as well. He's a big softy right now so we'll see what he looks like in Sept just before the race.

Hope you're all well. I'm off to hit your threads now to share the TT love.

“You can’t always be the fastest or the strongest, but you can always try the hardest.” - sign in Jay Ferruggia's Renegade Gym
Old 06-10-2012, 07:14 PM

I hate Bulgarian Split Squats. Lol. Good luck to your son. Hope he enjoys the training!!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollybeggar View Post
ow...ow....ow....I'm really sore today. Workout A of Muscle Massacre is all legs and abs and the dreaded Bulgarian Split squates are in the mix. I hate those.'

My 15 yr old son worked out with me for the first time yesterday. He's decided to run the Warrior Dash with me in September. It's a 3 mile obstacle course much like what Craig just ran yesterday.

This will be fun to watch his transformation as well. He's a big softy right now so we'll see what he looks like in Sept just before the race.

Hope you're all well. I'm off to hit your threads now to share the TT love.
It's great that you are training with your son and being such a good role model for him. Best of luck with your warrior dash training.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:04 PM

Hey fellow TTers,

Sorry I haven't posted more, been crazy busy. This week was a great week of clean eating and great workouts, both for me and my son. I really love the Metabolic Muscle Massacre workout, at least workout B. Workout A is a total leg and ab workout and I'm always so sore after it.

I suddenly just realized some growth of my "chestacles", to quote Roman. It's like they pumped up overnight, weird. I hope they don't deflate overnight as well. Today is a cheat day and workout C.

My son has lost 8lbs since starting with me 2 weeks ago. I'll have to get him to join the next contest. He's 15, not sure if he's too young.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Your son is a couple of years too young, but great to hear about your progress. Keep it up.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:12 PM

This is all great news John! Thanks for sharing!

Wow, if I could loose 8 pounds in 2 weeks... Well done for your son and you!

About bulgarian split squats:
earlier I also hated them, but now it is one of my favorit! I use a chair in front of me for stability, and to make sure my knee stays in the right position.
Actually, I had knee trouble on and off, but not with more (and correct) exercise it is doing BETTER and not worse. But I need to watch the correct knee position in each exercise.

About crazy busy week: yeah, I know what you mean!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:21 PM

Thanks Craig and Ariane,

I just got to Columbus, OH for work. Put my stuff in the room and then hit the hotel gym. It's a Sunday afternoon so it was empty. Had a great workout. Wanted to do C of Massacre but didn't have the right equipment, so made up my own and guess what, I did bulgarian split squats. The way I figure, if it's that hard, it has to be good.

That's how I was with abs when I first started getting in shape a couple of years ago. Now I love ab exercises. I'm going to keep at the bulgarians and learn to love them. I even did them while adding db curls, man was my heart racing.

Hope everyone's kickin butt.