TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 10th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 04:06 AM

I've got a couple of foam rollers on order and will be receiving them at the end of January - my wife's sister shall be coming to visit from the US and kindly agreed to carry them back for me. In the meantime, I'm using one of my kids' small basketballs, slightly deflated. It's bit trickier to balance on but does the job quite effectively. I find it invaluable in loosening up tight muscles especially hamstrings, quadraceps and the glute area and based on my experience so far, can highly recommend getting a roller.

Find me on Facebook
Old 01-13-2011, 04:18 PM

Well, I'm about 17 hours into my fast and not doing too bad all things considering. I'm probably only going to go 21 hours and call it good today. I am having issues getting enough to drink. I hate drinking water on an empty stomach, although hot tea isn't as bad, I'm still not crazy about it. I seem to have a tough time not getting acid reflux or heart burn after awhile of not eating. Any suggestions on how to avoid that? I know I can't drink coffee at all or I'm in pain, but anything else that might help?

I had a pretty rough night last night that really threw things off, so I didn't end up eating dinner until 9 pm. My husband managed to get a pretty good case of carbon monoxide poisoning and I wound up taking him to the hospital. They decided to keep him over night since his levels where pretty high in his blood and this was hours after the actual poisoning. (He's a contractor and was using a concrete cutter in a small space and the respirator he was using quit working) You know he's sick when I can actually get him to go to the doctor. I was able to bring him home early this morning and he went back to work, so feeling much better today, yay! It was rough on the kiddos though and they are cranky today, along with a tired, hungry cranky mom, it's been a long day.

I'm tired and can't see the point of punishing myself to wait for the full 24 hours of the fast. I'm hoping to get to bed before then!

I got in my workout yesterday before all the excitement started and still need to get the interval done. It may wait until tomorrow though.

My weight seems to have stalled out at 141 this week, keeping pretty steady right there. Like I said before, I'll give it another week, before getting too worried. I know I need to get my daily energy (NEAT) or whatever it's called up. That's gone down since I've been in calorie deficit and may be having a bigger effect on the whole picture. Also I've had more grains in my diet this past week and maybe it's a contributing factor, and the upping the calories a bit. Probably overthinking it all at this point.

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it --Margaret Thatcher

The link to my FitDay Journal: http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...Owner=howell27
Old 01-14-2011, 09:56 AM

Well, I made it 21 hours for my first fast. Like everyone says, it really isn't that bad once you get into it, or at least it wasn't this time. My biggest problems were making sure I was drinking enough and after I started eating, I was STARVING and never felt like I ate enough. Maybe it takes practice to eat a normal sized meal, but I managed to get in about 1000 calories in a couple hours before bed. I had that many planned but didn't really think I'd eat that many. Maybe it's just because I knew I could? I'll try less planning less next time, but I think I could have eaten twice that amount pretty easy. Even after I was done with dinner, I really had a hard time convincing myself I was done and it was pretty high volume filling stuff like elk chili, spinach salad, cottage cheese with peanut butter. I'll give it a couple more tries when I'm not feeling quite so stressed, but 24 hour fasting might not be my thing. I seem to do better with the leangains 12-16 hour fasts.

The link to my FitDay Journal: http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...Owner=howell27
Old 01-14-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howell27 View Post
Well, I made it 21 hours for my first fast. Like everyone says, it really isn't that bad once you get into it, or at least it wasn't this time. My biggest problems were making sure I was drinking enough and after I started eating, I was STARVING and never felt like I ate enough. Maybe it takes practice to eat a normal sized meal, but I managed to get in about 1000 calories in a couple hours before bed. I had that many planned but didn't really think I'd eat that many. Maybe it's just because I knew I could? I'll try less planning less next time, but I think I could have eaten twice that amount pretty easy. Even after I was done with dinner, I really had a hard time convincing myself I was done and it was pretty high volume filling stuff like elk chili, spinach salad, cottage cheese with peanut butter. I'll give it a couple more tries when I'm not feeling quite so stressed, but 24 hour fasting might not be my thing. I seem to do better with the leangains 12-16 hour fasts.
Good job with the fast, especially given the circumstances! If you find it's not for you then at least that's one option ruled out. I tried one and lasted a few hours before caving and having a chinese*

I hope everyone is a bit less cranky!

*Miss willpower
Old 01-14-2011, 05:07 PM

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my thread
Great job on the fast!
I too struggle to get to the full 24, those last 4 hours are so hard, don't know why :P
Brad Pilon has said that the fatburning keeps increasing until 18 hours into your fast, and then it starts decreasing, so if you want to do shorter fasts I would personally recommend to do between 18-20 hours, just to get the most out of it!

It seems like you have a better handle on the cravings now, that's great!
I have much of the same problem as you, I can't have one small bite, because it only makes me want more. This time around I have decided to cut sugar alltogether, and so far (day 2 :P) it's working. I'm doing it this way to "get it out of my system". I feel like I have more cravings more often when I try to eat a little every now and then, but that's just how I am. Everyone works differently. I remembered that I once made up my mind as a young teenager never to drink and never to smoke, and I haven't so I figured that I just need to be as determined with sugar. To decide, and once that decision is made it is made. Then I don't have to constantly consider whether or not I can fit this piece of chocolate into my calories etc. I bet if you manage to decide in the same way, even about how many pieces of chocolate or whatever your cravings are, you can have per week, and you decide that as firmly as not to do drugs, or not to kill someone or something else that you have decided, then that can help you!

I also try to find alternatives, to replace my cravings with other treats. For instance if I feel like a snack to have hummus with celery or carrots, or if I want sweets to get kiwis and strawberries, mango, pineapple or other fruits I don't normally have. I also allow myself to use cocoa powder, it doesn't contain sugar, and not that many calories so if I have a really really bad craving I might have slices of banana with cocoa powder, or mash the banana in cocoa powder with some milk and put it in the freezer for a while. Peanut butter also works pretty well as a substitute. When it's really really bad I sometimes even have peanut butter with cocoa powder :P It might sound crazy, but it helps me, so thought I'd share, if it helps it helps, if it doesn't it doesn't

Good luck with your continued success!
Old 01-15-2011, 12:36 AM

Hi Evaki!

Interesting info about the fasts...I will keep that in mind about the 20 hours. I'm going to try it a couple more times, but it may not be my thing or just something I keep in the tool box for travel and really crazy days.

I read through your advice about the cravings and really thought about it, but I don't want to cut out sugar. I really really love the stuff and I want to figure out a way to eat less and manage it better though. I've cut it out entirely before and agree (at least in the short term for me) it can be much easier than a little bit here and there, but eventually it had lead to some terrible binging in the past. Maybe I could get past that and decide that I am a person who does not eat sugar or at the very least, not a person who eats sugar for this contest, but I really want this contest to be 12 weeks of figuring out a way I truly can live and eat and exercise my whole life. Not just a 12 week sprint to see how much weight I can drop in the shortest amount of time and how much exercise I can cram in. I didn't join for that...I joined for the accountability and the support which has been so helpful. I want to learn to make better choices to live healthier, show a good example for my children so maybe they won't have to struggle as hard as I have, feel better physically and mentally so that I have more energy, confidence to be a better mom, friend, wife, etc. Food is something I love...I love cooking, baking, trying new recipes, having friends and family over for dinner, potlucks. I don't eat out very often at all, but I love finding something on the menu I've never had before. BUT I can learn to make better choices, cook healthier, add more vegetables, more fruit instead of sweets and keep the desserts as a rarer treat. I'm struggling to find that balance and figure out just how to deal with it, but I guess I don't want to cut it out entirely even if that may be a great short term solution. While I'm eating a lot less of grains, bread, pasta, butter, cheese, sugar; no food is banned from my diet except liver 'cause it's just gross. : )

On the other hand, maybe only allowing it once a week or once every two weeks while I'm still trying to lose weight isn't terrible. I just don't want to set it up as any kind of reward..."ooh I made it two weeks, now I get a treat" or "I lost all the weight, lets celebrate with cheesecake". (which is my natural thinking and doesn't need any sort of help) I'm afraid cutting it out would make it even more of a special treat that I would think that I need to deserve.

I'm glad you posted this, because it really made me think through this and I think I like the direction I decided to go with. I'm not saying it's the right way to go (anymore than I think you were) but just where I think I want to take my diet for this 12 weeks and beyond. I do love your idea about bananas and cocoa powder, yum! Cottage cheese, peanut butter and cocoa powder is actually very good also and very filling. Just looks like all kinds of wrong though. It does help sometimes too to find a better, healthy alternative, like you said. But sometimes, this girl's just gotta eat cake! (So long as she just learns not to eat the whole darn thing!)

Jami

Old 01-15-2011, 01:05 AM

Jami, have a read of this where he talks about his diet (his wife is a pastry chef): http://c0434042.cdn.cloudfiles.racks...nscription.pdf

Also, take a look at http://johnbarban.com/flexibility-is...g-weight-loss/

If eating cake and other sugary stuff is what you want to do, factor that into your meal plan over the week but always do it with awareness and control. As long as you end up in a calorie deficit over a week, you can still do it if your goal is to lose weight.

I don't think there's only one path to where you'd like to go to. It's a question of finding out what works for you and fitting that into your lifestyle.

My TC10 Thread
My Workout Journal

"I am like the turtle who just keeps moving forward without stress or strain while I whistle a happy song" - Joe Weaver
Old 01-15-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesunelson View Post
Jami, have a read of this where he talks about his diet (his wife is a pastry chef): http://c0434042.cdn.cloudfiles.racks...nscription.pdf

Also, take a look at http://johnbarban.com/flexibility-is...g-weight-loss/

If eating cake and other sugary stuff is what you want to do, factor that into your meal plan over the week but always do it with awareness and control. As long as you end up in a calorie deficit over a week, you can still do it if your goal is to lose weight.

I don't think there's only one path to where you'd like to go to. It's a question of finding out what works for you and fitting that into your lifestyle.
Yep, I totally agree, lots of paths and everyone has to find their own. I think I'm getting there, only time will tell! Thanks so much for the articles. It was really late last night when I posted, so I probably got way too wordy...

This paragraph really rang true for me:

INTERVIEW WITH MARK LEVY
Podcast hosts: Brad Howard and John Barban
http://www.AdonisLifestyle.com Page 21 of 29
" I try to explain to people that I never deprived myself ever, looking at the pictures you might think “ oh well he probably never ate ice cream” but that’s the furthest thing from the
truth…I had ice cream at least two or three times a week, I ate cake all the time, I would
have donuts, I would just make sure not to eat too much of it but I wouldn’t allow myself
to be in a mental state where I say “oh in the next three months I can’t have a
cappuccino because that’s too many calories” I don’t want to become that person. I
made sure not to let myself fall into that because what happens, again just speaking to
my wife and speaking to other people, women are always going to on and off diets and
what they find is that they lose the weights and they gain it all back and why did they get
it all back because they felt they deprived their self too much and when that pressure
came off because they attain their goal or whatever they’ve done, suddenly the flood
gates were open and they just went back to their old eating habits. So it’s about
developing your habits."

Old 01-15-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
INTERVIEW WITH MARK LEVY
Podcast hosts: Brad Howard and John Barban
http://www.AdonisLifestyle.com Page 21 of 29
" I try to explain to people that I never deprived myself ever, looking at the pictures you might think “ oh well he probably never ate ice cream” but that’s the furthest thing from the
truth…I had ice cream at least two or three times a week, I ate cake all the time, I would
have donuts, I would just make sure not to eat too much of it but I wouldn’t allow myself
to be in a mental state where I say “oh in the next three months I can’t have a
cappuccino because that’s too many calories” I don’t want to become that person. I
made sure not to let myself fall into that because what happens, again just speaking to
my wife and speaking to other people, women are always going to on and off diets and
what they find is that they lose the weights and they gain it all back and why did they get
it all back because they felt they deprived their self too much and when that pressure
came off because they attain their goal or whatever they’ve done, suddenly the flood
gates were open and they just went back to their old eating habits. So it’s about
developing your habits."
I saw this about a month ago and was intrigued. I suppose for some this would work, but I'm not there right now.

When I let myself have something like a treat, it's tough to stop having it. So this contest I have purposely thought -- ok, you can now have a handful of m & ms, but only one handful. Or two cookies, and that's all. But in my mind I might "know" that I'm really going to allow myself 2 handfuls or 3 cookies. So psychologically, I get to go back and get more, but it's still within the realm of what I've decided is acceptable. And I just have to make sure that I don't have it again tomorrow or the day after that (which for me is the bigger challenge!).

Old 01-15-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Yep, I totally agree, lots of paths and everyone has to find their own. I think I'm getting there, only time will tell! Thanks so much for the articles. It was really late last night when I posted, so I probably got way too wordy...
The fasting way was a real challenge for me. I did two ESE fasts per week for more than a month and strangely enough, the hardest time for me was in the afternoon before dinner, a time where I wouldn't have eaten even during a non-fast day. I did my fasts from 12:30pm to 12:30pm the next day. For some reason, on a fast day, the afternoon period was when I found I was hungriest. Once I got past that, missing dinner and heading off to bed wasn't an issue. Similarly with skipping breakfast and waiting till 12:30pm to eat.

The meals I'm having now work very well for me and stopping the fasting has not impacted my weight loss so I will just keep on with what I'm doing now.

I don't regret doing it because it showed me my body's ability to not eat for 24 hours with no issue. It made me realise the difference between thinking I was hungry and actually requiring food and that's really helped me.

My TC10 Thread
My Workout Journal

"I am like the turtle who just keeps moving forward without stress or strain while I whistle a happy song" - Joe Weaver