TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 10th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2010, 11:23 AM

Cool Doing It

After talking with my wife, I decided I would go for it and join in the 10th Transformation Contest. My primary concern is that it's not the best time in my life to be making significant changes (as far as ease of transition is concerned) because we'll be living with her parents for the duration of the contest while our house is completed. The stress of house building, living with in-laws (and soon-to-be 5-year old twin girls) doesn't support logical choice making, especially in relation to food (there's a great podcast on this: http://www.radiolab.org/2008/nov/17/).

BUT I'M DOING IT ANYWAY.

Brief History

The full story is in my introduction, with updates in my workout journal. I'd like some suggestions for which workout(s) to use for this (from Craig or anyone), so here is my workout history:

True meathead (2+ hours in the gym six days per week doing 2-a-day workouts) for about 6 years, college athlete, so I really, really like the power lifts (deadlifts, cleans, squats, lunges), the heavy lifting (8 rep max), and anything that's not mainstream (sled pulls, tire throw, tire flip, battle ropes). My TT workout history reflects that. Since April 2010, I have done:

TT for Fat Loss
TT Fusion
TT Adrenaline
TT Addiction
TT Meatheads 3
TT Bodybuilding

Current Stats:

5'10", 187 lbs
*estimate* my body fat is around 18% based on a previous measurement taken (I'll have my mother-in-law, a Physical Therapist, take my BF with calipers on January 2)

Goals:

I've been trying to build as much muscle and strength as possible the past three months (bench has gone from 180 max to 225 max, pullups from 2 max to 8 max) in preparation for this contest.

1) Get lean. For twelve weeks, I'm not going to care about adding to my bench press or deadlift or squat; or, about building more and more muscle. I want to carve the fat out.

That's my only goal. I don't care how much "weight" I lose. I just want to get rid of this body fat.

I've already lost about 15 pounds thanks to TT and intermittent fasting (leangains.com and Eat Stop Eat), but I haven't seriously committed to getting back into my old shape, which was muscular, lean, and cut. I want to give it a shot, one last roar from the lion, so to speak, and then hopefully make better choices in the future and not lose what I once had and lost.

So, what workout(s) would you suggest?

Transformation Thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=10536

"Only that in which is me can understand what I am saying." Baba Ram Dass

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be." -John Heider

"Everyone is a Being. Not everyone is a Becoming."

Last edited by rutherfordj2 : 12-17-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Added some info about goals and stats
Old 01-03-2011, 12:05 PM

Default TC10 Day #1- Sunday, January 2, 2011

TT Resistance Evil Workout A (3:30 PM)

DB Swings 25 x 30 x 3

Split Jumps BW x 6 x 3
Pull-ups BW x 4,3,2.5 x 3
Spiderman Push-up BW x 14,10,8 x 3

DB Lunge 20 x 10 x 2
DB Row 30 x 17,15 x 2
Decline Push-up BW x 10,9 x 2

DB Swings 20 x 30 x 2

TOTAL TIME: 28:30

NUTRITION

Fast Start Time: 2:15 PM, Sunday 1/02/2011

I'm excited about starting the contest. My wife is actually taking the pictures tonight, but I don't think starting the workout a day early will hurt me too much. I plan on getting the BF measurements tomorrow. So far,my plan:

Weeks 1-4 TT Resistance Evil Workout

Nutrition: ESE Fast Sundays/Wednesdays Noon -Mondays/Thursdays 4:00 PM
*Some Wednesdays I won't use ESE... it depends on how I'm feeling.
Lean Gains "Fasted Training" plan the rest of the week.

My wife is really supporting me in this. She wants me to get into my 20-year old shape, especially after I made such good gains last Fall without really 100% committing to a change. So. Here we go!

Last edited by rutherfordj2 : 01-04-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 PM

well, maybe if you're going to have a tricky few weeks, a TT contest is exactly what you need to keep you on track! Maybe it might help distract from other stresses.

Good luck!
Old 01-03-2011, 04:59 PM

Sounds like you have a good plan! I know what you mean about house renos...we are in the process of living in a 60+ yr old 1 1/2 story house and restoring it while we are in here...I have been sanding and painting off and on for the last 3 yrs LOL! Yesterday's off day activity for me was nailing baseboards in the kids rooms...moving stuff over out of our room tonight back into theirs so we can paint ours....sigh! I try to get downstairs and workout before anyone gets up otherwise it doesn't get done!

I think thats good you are doing ESE as well...maybe that is best with being in someone else's home and dealing with some possibly bad food options.

Do you go to a gym to workout???

Kudos to you for being determined to do this with so much going on! Keep that resolve up and we'll all be glad to give you a kick to motivate you this next 12 weeks if you need it!

Tina

"Dream the impossible, do the incredible."

"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you will suck forever!!!"
Old 01-03-2011, 08:02 PM

Cool

That's one area I have a major advantage in... I teach at a high school that has a football weight room that was recently remodeled and received pretty quality equipment from a nearby university that was remodeling, so I have a fully equipped weight room to myself, most days!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Sounds like you have a good plan! I know what you mean about house renos...we are in the process of living in a 60+ yr old 1 1/2 story house and restoring it while we are in here...I have been sanding and painting off and on for the last 3 yrs LOL! Yesterday's off day activity for me was nailing baseboards in the kids rooms...moving stuff over out of our room tonight back into theirs so we can paint ours....sigh! I try to get downstairs and workout before anyone gets up otherwise it doesn't get done!

I think thats good you are doing ESE as well...maybe that is best with being in someone else's home and dealing with some possibly bad food options.

Do you go to a gym to workout???

Kudos to you for being determined to do this with so much going on! Keep that resolve up and we'll all be glad to give you a kick to motivate you this next 12 weeks if you need it!

Tina

Old 01-04-2011, 11:06 PM

Default TC10 Day #3- Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I actually keep forgetting to take the pictures. I should probably get on that. I'll try to get that taken care of tomorrow. Thursday at the latest.

TT Resistance Evil Workout B

I followed the instructions to only do Circuit #1 through one time. It was probably the most difficult decision I have made in a long time (with regard to exercise), because it was Squats, Bench Press, and Deadlift (three exercises I loved). I was still a little sore from Workout A (which really surprised me, since it was not "heavy" lifting) and my concern that I might pull a muscle or make myself too sore for Thursday's workout finally won out over my jock background. Also, I didn't have my notebook with me (had to write down sets/reps on a separate sheet) so I didn't have it to help me figure out what weight to start with. I chalked this week up to a "push yourself, get your nutrition straighted out, figure out the weights yo want to us" deal

Breathing Squat 135 x 17
Bench Press 135 x 17
Deadlift 135 x 12,4,3,1 (10-20s rest period)

Pull-up BW x 6,5,4 x 3
Push-up BW x 17,16,15

Did the core workout at the end.

I'm still irritated at how WEAK I am. It's a great motivator, to remember the "glory days" and to have tangible proof they existed (in the form of my old notebooks), but it's also frustrating (maybe in a good way) to compare what I used to do with how limited I am, now.

Anyway, NUTRITION

Fasted 10 PM - 6:30 PM today
Grilled chicken and vegetables and rice for dinner
May not eat again... feeling kind of full.

Gonna try to figure out a way to do some light exercise tomorrow (busy day), but if I can stick to my nutrition, I know I'll drop these first ten pounds pretty easily (I did it about four months ago without even trying, so I think it can happen again).

Time to watch "Parenthood" with my lovely wife!

Last edited by rutherfordj2 : 01-05-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:01 AM

I know the feeling, but just know that the weakness you feel now is you working to get back to the strength you once felt.

On the specifics of that workout, I would use my bodyweight, but I couldn't get 20 reps of the deadlifts so I would end up doing something like 12 rest 20 s, 5 rest 20s, 3...I'm pretty sure that's the proper protocol.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:44 PM

Default TC10 Day #4- Wednesday, January 5, 2011

So, I took the pictures with my newspaper. I'm not in horrible shape, but I am also not an exhibitionist. Even when I was 18-21 years old and ripped, I was never one to run with my shirt off (seemed vain) or do the whole "look my way" thing. So, taking a picture, in any shape, was awful. Ugh. Do I have to post the damn thing or can I just email it in and only have to worry about public humiliation if I make the Finals? :-)

Didn't work out today. Did get some stuff from Wal-mart, and had time to kill, so I walked around there about an hour, then did some coaching. Back to the workout tomorrow!

Nutrition

10 PM-4 PM Fast
4:00 Small amount of NSA fat free vanilla ice cream with almonds, blueberries, strawberries, banana slices, and pecans. The lady at the register looked in my cup and asked if I'd gotten any ice cream. LOL

5:00 16 oz Bar-b-Qued Turkey (the nutrition information can be found by googling Whitt's Barbeque)

7:00 Plate of deer meat, grilled vegetables, grilled chicken. Just ate it all together. My wife asked me if I wanted her to bring me my club. She thinks I eat like a Neanderthal.

8:00 Small serving of sweet potato casserole.
9:00 One beer.

I'd estimate total calories for the day was 1500-2000. I'm not too worried about it. Last fall, when I was barely paying attention (and drinking a LOT more), I lost 15 pounds without even trying. I think there truly is something to the concept of fasting. It just makes sense, if for no other reason than, for someone like me, NOT eating during the day limits how many calories I will take in. Take today... had I eaten a little for breakfast and a little for lunch, I guarantee the rest of the eating would have happened regardless. But I would be 400-600 calories higher at the day's end. I credit ESE and Lean Gains for the weight loss, and TT for giving me some definition.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:04 PM

Default TC10 Day #5- Thursday, January 6, 2011

Fast 9:00 PM Start Time (This may become an LG fast, as I won't get home until 7:00 PM, and I would only be 2 hours away... we'll see how the family goes with eating.)

Currently enjoying the "high" I seem to get when the fast goes beyond 14 hours. Reviewing my workout plan for this afternoon at 3:00 PM- that's a trick I learned when I was still in high school. I found that if I planned my workout ahead of time (or had a world-class trainer do it, I guess!) and then looked it over, thought about my goals, what I wanted from the workout, how I wanted to feel, I was more likely to go through with the workout (despite setbacks, obstacles, changes in plans, etc) and I felt like I performed better during the workout. I don't know if that would/does work for anyone else, but I definitely find it helpful.

Another thing I find helpful is to read research in the fitness field. This is a privilege because of my university affiliation, having access to the GaleGroup database (among several others) so I can't say it would work for everyone (such access if pretty expensive), but maybe reading a fitness magazine or a post by Ferruggia, Ballantyne, etc. would compensate?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutherfordj2 View Post
So, I took the pictures with my newspaper. I'm not in horrible shape, but I am also not an exhibitionist. Even when I was 18-21 years old and ripped, I was never one to run with my shirt off (seemed vain) or do the whole "look my way" thing. So, taking a picture, in any shape, was awful. Ugh. Do I have to post the damn thing or can I just email it in and only have to worry about public humiliation if I make the Finals? :-)
From the rules:
4) Photos can be posted in the Turbulence Training Membership Website Transformation Forum or can be entered by email (see details below).
It is highly recommended – for your success – to post your photos, workouts, and nutrition in a training journal in the Turbulence Training Membership forum.

9) Entering by Email

To enter photos by email, send to:
Support (AT) TurbulenceTraining.helpserve.com

OR

TurbulenceTrainingHelp@gmail.com

I think you're ok but it would be nice to see your face

My TC10 Thread
My Workout Journal

"I am like the turtle who just keeps moving forward without stress or strain while I whistle a happy song" - Joe Weaver