TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 11th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2011, 08:26 PM

Default A Fitness Rookie's Transformation Log

Hi everyone,

Some of this post is cut and pasted from my thread in the new member introduction forum, but I decided to sign up for the 11th Transformation Contest so I thought I'd re-post it here, and make this thread my workout/nutrition log for the duration of the contest.

My name is Randy and I'm from Alberta, Canada. I'm 38 years old and in poor shape physically. I used to be in decent shape, I didn't really follow a specific exercise program or diet, but I was pretty active with things like mountain biking, hiking and rock climbing.

Then about 5 years ago I was in a bad snowmobile accident and messed up my left leg, I smashed my ankle joint, broke my tib, fib and femur and tore every ligament in my left knee. I couldn't walk for quite a while after that and since then I haven't been very active and the weight is really starting to accumulate. I've been kind of a resolutionist... I've started trying to get fit a bunch of times but never stick with it. Because my injuries, I've got pretty limited range of motion in my left knee and ankle.

I recently made an appointment for a fitness assessment and met with a personal trainer. Unfortunately our schedules haven't lined up very well and I still haven't got a program from the trainer yet, but in meantime I've decided to join this contest, so I'll be doing the Turbulence Training program. I did have the fitness assessment were they took measurements and used calipers to measure my body fat. I currently have a body fat percentage of 26.6%. They didn't weigh me (they said body fat is a better measure of progress than weight) but I think I weigh about 250 lbs and I'm 5 ft. 10.

I recently bought and downloaded the turbulence training e-book package and have started reading it. There are probably certain exercises I will have difficulty doing, such as squats, but I am going to give it a try. I'm going to try and clean up my eating habits too. When I first got the e-book, I was not that optimistic because I have tried to make changes before and don't seem to stick with it. I know what I need to do but seem to lack the willpower to follow through with it. It's something I need to do though, I've got a wife and 3 young kids, so I want to be the best Dad and husband I can be for them, and that means being as healthy as I can be.

In the time since I've bought the book, I've become more optimistic, and right now I'm feeling pretty positive about the contest. I've done a ton of reading on the TTmembers site and on this forum, and I feel like I'm developing a pretty good strategy for success. It's a pretty simple plan, although I know it won't be easy.

After reading the "Mastering the Fatloss Mindset" interview with Dax Moy, I've purchased the Magic 100 program and will be using that method to stay focussed on my fitness goals througout the contest.

For the exercise and fitness portion, I'll be doing the Turbulence Training plan as written. For the first 4 weeks, I'll be doing the TT Introductory Level workout plan. For the next 4 weeks, I'll move on to the TT Beginner Level workout plan. For the last 4 weeks, I'll do the TT Intermediate Level workout. I'll use the personal trainer that did my fitness assessment to help show me how to do the exercises and give me some guidance along the way.

For the nutrition component, I've been reading Mike Roussell's "Naked Nutrition" book, so I'll be basing my eating habits based on that book. The key guidelines I'll be trying to follow are:

- eat 5 to 6 times a day.
- reduce sugar and processed foods. Eat whole, natural foods as much as possible.
- eat fruits and vegetables at every meal.
- eat some protein at every meal.
- cut out liquid calories... drink more water. For me this will be a big one as I drink a fair bit of Coke right now.

Again, it's a pretty simple plan, but I know it won't be easy to stick with it. I'm going to aim for 90% compliance. This time around, I'm not going to try counting calories, or eating ultra low carb, I'll just try sticking to the above guidelines 90% of the time and see how that goes. If at the end of the 12 weeks I haven't got the results I'm looking for, the next time around I'll try low carb or strictly counting calories. I suspect that if stick to the above principles 90% of the time I'll get some pretty significant results though.

I'll be monitoring my progress using John Berardi's article on "How to Measure Your Body-fat." I've purchased some Accu-measure body fat calipers and a Myotape measuring tape to track my measurements. Based on my initial measurements, it looks like my body fat is in the 30%+ range, even higher than what they measured during my fitness assessment. I'll be weighing myself periodically as well.

I'm kind of dreading taking the "before" picture, but I know it's something that I have to do. Other than that, I'm feeling positive, and looking forward to the contest, and looking forward to making some new friends as we journey through this contest together.

Thanks,
Randy
Old 04-26-2011, 04:57 AM

Hi Randy.. Good on you..you'll nail it! It must not be easy to deal with exercise and the injuries. Your nutrition plan sounds great too... I found that it's kind of handy to log all your food on a fitday kind of site just to keep portions under control. Like you said.. try it and see how it goes, but I would log my food before I started low carb-ing it.. I tend to see it all as fuel.. we just need to control the amount of fuel...and make the fuel the best quality we can.

All the best..
Deb.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:49 AM

Welcome to the contest! That injury sounds nasty. A lot of people would use it as an excuse to do nothing, so you've obviously got real determination.

Your diet plan sounds solid. Yeah it will be hard to stick to, our plans always are... but if you find nice recipes and bulk cook meals it should be easier. Planning in advance helps so much too.

Good luck with the exercises. If there's some you can't do then you could always ask Craig about a substitute.

You might be dreading the before pic now, but in 12 weeks I bet you'll be amazed at the changes you make with good nutrition and some TT magic
Old 04-26-2011, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the advice, Deb. I will have a look at fitday. My injuries can make certain exercises a challenge, but for too long I've used my injuries as an excuse not to exercise. This time around, I'm going to focus on what I can do rather than what I can't.

For example, in the past I've tried doing squats but found that I didn't have enough range of motion in my ankle to do them succesfully. But just recently, I discovered through experimentation that if I put a wood block underneath my heals, I can do a squat. It's not a textbook quality squat, I run out of range of motion in my knee before I get my thighs parallel with the ground, but it's better than not doing squats. And I think if I keep doing them my range of motion will improve. I'll try and go a little deeper each time, and gradually reduce the height of the wood block under my heels.

Basically this time around, I'm not going to focus on the problem, I'm going to focus on the solution.

Thanks again,
Randy
Old 04-26-2011, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the advice weetamclan. I think the reason I'm dreading the before picture is that it will force me to come to terms with how out of shape I really am. I think I've been in denial, telling my self I'm not THAT out of shape, but looking at that picture will force me to face reality.

Last edited by ShortWingPilot : 04-27-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:13 AM

Default Feeling a little frustrated.

Well I'm feeling a little overwhelmed as I prepare for this challenge... The personal trainer that I had my initial consultation and fitness assessment with isn't returning my calls or emails. He must not want my business very bad. I'm looking for some guidance on how to do the exercises, and an experienced person to measure my body fat percentage at several points throughout the contest.

I guess for now I'll be on my own. I guess I'll practice taking my own skinfold measurements and will watch Craig's videos for guidance on how to do the exercises. Not sure if I should look on craigslist/kijiji for a different trainer, I don't want some one who's got some 6 week internet personal training course, I want someone who's got some real credentials like a CSCS, etc.

I'm also unsure of what goals to be setting for this contest, maybe I'll make a post in the fat loss forum regarding that.

Thanks,
Randy
Old 04-27-2011, 11:27 AM

Its hard to know what is realistic to expect in these contests. I think I've read before that .5% body fat per week is a good guide for body fat loss. Reading the contest winners essays and previous contest threads... depending on your body size and how over your optimum your body weight is, you can lose from 16 to 36 pounds... thats what I read. I personally lost only 6 pounds last contest, but I lost a ton in the form of inches.

some also make non body shape goals, such as a commitment to give up something for the program, or a certain number of pushups not on their knees, or to do one pull up.
some its a waist measurement...

as far as the trainer goes. Call around to your local gyms to see if they have any recommendations. You can ask up front what their qualifications are before you slap down any money.

Good luck, don't get overwhelmed, its supposed to be fun. Start where you can and let the rest just flow. Make sure you get your minimum weight and photos with the newspaper for day 1, do tape measurements if you can't get a good body fat read before your scheduled day one. :-)

all the best to you,
~Amanda

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
Steve Prefontaine

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."
- Beverly Sills

Avatar Picture is Jamie Eason. A very amazing woman in the fitness industry. Want to look like her!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the advice Amanda.

I got a reply from Craig in the thread I posted in the fat loss forum, and he figures 20 lbs of fat loss and a 7-8% reduction in body fat are reasonable goals for me, so I'll go with that. Two other goals will be to workout 3 times a week, and to eat clean 9 out of 10 meals.

I like your idea of a non body shape goal, so my goal in that category will be to mountain bike up a mountain near me without stopping. I tried it last year but had to alternate between biking and walking, this year I'd like to be able to ride all the way.

Thanks again for the advice, I wish you lots of success in the upcoming contest.

Thanks,
Randy
Old 04-27-2011, 12:47 PM

That is an awesome goal, something to really feel good about and keep doing after the contest. I'm too chicken to do much mountain biking, which is a shame, because I do live in Alaska and I'm sure the biking is pretty awesome here. I will do some road biking, but I don't like to go too fast... 'fraid I'll fall and shatter my jaw :-P

Great advice from craig :-) glad to see I wasn't too far off in what i spewed forth :-D

Happy trails!

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
Steve Prefontaine

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."
- Beverly Sills

Avatar Picture is Jamie Eason. A very amazing woman in the fitness industry. Want to look like her!
Old 04-29-2011, 03:19 PM

Welcome to the contest Randy and I wish you the best of luck.