TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 19th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2014, 10:10 PM

Default forever refining the recipe of "me"

I am an oldie around these forums, and have been away from posting or regularly visiting for awhile. I am finding that I once again need the structure that these forums offer to get myself back to where I'd like to be. I've started by subscribing to a few threads in the contest, which I am finding to be very useful and motivating and it helps to get me on here at least every few days. I am not the best blogger, but I do take away a lot from other people, so I will definitely be reading even if I am not posting.

My goals are to find a way - ideally once and for all - to find a way to eat that I can sustain. I am not unusual in that when I let the junk in, it slowly creeps in until I feel the need to feed the addiction. I have succeeded since Thanksgiving in finding a way to eat that seems to be working; I let a little too much junk creep in over Christmas but have backed off again. I have seen the # on the scale fall since Christmas. I need to make sure I find a way to let the junk in so I can enjoy it, but not let it creep in to larger amounts. This is my downfall. I will write more about what I have been doing with nutrition some other time as I've tried many things.

I've been maintaining in a 6 - 7 lb range, one that I've come to accept even though it's not my target range. So my goal is to get back to the bottom of that range and then to drop even lower. While weight is a goal of a sort, I am more concerned with body shape but I know that if I get down in weight, the fat will come off and the shape will be right if I am working out.

I will continue to do workouts, and plan 3 per week with some off-day shorter workouts. I missed some workouts in the fall due to kids' schedules and I just knowingly let them go. I have been better since December and will need to plan better once the activities are again in full swing. I got some roller skates for Christmas so the boys and I will have some fun there. My son is also teaching me his hip-hop and clogging so I do that with him here and there for "off day" activity. For my main workouts, I am enjoying HW Revolution, so will stick with that for the time-being.

I am finding that's Craig's suggestion of keeping a journal on what you are thankful for to be very helpful, and it has a major positive effect on my day to day since I've started it. Craig is truly a great mentor in so many ways.

I officially started last Monday, January 6th. That was the first day since the 31st (my planned start date) that I was able to align all the stars (newspaper, camera, and cameraman) in order to get going. I'll post pics later when I get them off the camera and re-sized. My husband took pics, too, so he is at least along for the ride.

I look forward to following everyone's success!

Old 01-13-2014, 10:18 AM

Smile Hey There!

Hi Heather! I'm new here. I started the contest last Friday so I've only done one workout so far. I am loving the discipline of coming here each morning to post a few things from my journal. I'm just focusing on spirit,mind and body. It's an abbreviated version of what I'm writing in my home journal as to not bore everyone! For spirit, I wrote what I'm thankful for. Mind is something I've learned from life or a book I'm reading.(One of my goals was to read 6 good books during the contest)It might also be some action I've taken toward a HUGE goal for me which is to go back to school. I've always been interested in health/nutrition/fitness and might get a degree in something like that. For body, I want to post how I'm feeling from the day before, how I think my workout went, how my diet is going. I have a separate workout/food log where it's more detailed. That's exciting that you got roller skates for Christmas! My kids were all rollerbladers. I can roller blade, but not like a kid. Well..I took them roller skating. I said,"Let Momma show you whippersnappers how it was done back in the good ole' 1980's!" They were pretty impressed with my mean rollerskating skills. It was so fun. I didn't know you could follow certain threads. I'll have to figure that out. It's nice to "meet" you and I hope you reach all of your goals! Leslie
Old 01-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Awesome Heather, glad the journaling is helping. It's one of my favorite daily activities.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieM View Post
I am loving the discipline of coming here each morning to post a few things from my journal. I'm just focusing on spirit,mind and body. It's an abbreviated version of what I'm writing in my home journal as to not bore everyone! For spirit, I wrote what I'm thankful for. Mind is something I've learned from life or a book I'm reading.(One of my goals was to read 6 good books during the contest)It might also be some action I've taken toward a HUGE goal for me which is to go back to school. I've always been interested in health/nutrition/fitness and might get a degree in something like that. For body, I want to post how I'm feeling from the day before, how I think my workout went, how my diet is going.
Thanks for dropping by, Leslie - those are some neat things you're doing for yourself, and I can truly imagine the positive impact they will have on your overall well-being.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:53 PM

Hey everyone! So far, so good as I have finished week 1. I'll take some measurements tomorrow morning (I forgot this a.m.) and see how I'm doing there. I can feel a difference in clothing that I tried on just a week and a half ago, so I'm pleased. I can see some differences, too. Yay!

In past contests I have used ESE and have really liked doing it, but I go through times between contests when it's too much of a challenge to do it (or I overeat after doing it). So while I may become motivated to sneak it in here and there during these 12 weeks, I don't have the motivation to do it regularly at the moment. Thus, I do need to see if I can eat my way back to where I want to be, and then eat to maintain without using ESE as a crutch. The benefits of ESE I do not doubt as I have seen them, but for the times I am not motivated to do ESE or if I feel it is hindering my progress, I need to have a way to eat that doesn't cause me to back-slide.

For the moment, I am focusing on some simple things: ample protein (eggs) plus fruit, veggies in the morning, but not too early as I find I am just hungry again too soon. I have found lately that eating "breakfast" around 9 - 10:30 seems to work. I then will shoot for a salad for lunch with some included protein and some fruit and/or greek yogurt. If I have any kind of small junk item, I've been consuming it in the daylight afternoon hours and limiting the portion. Salty/sweet combo seems to hit the spot so I am quickly satisfied with the small portion. Then for dinner I eat a protein and vegetable; we've been eating a lot of rice these days (from my Hawaii upbringing). I generally don't eat bread or pasta or crackers or cereal any other similar items. I eat a lot of nuts, fruits, vegetables, eggs and I do eat some cheese just about every day.

An article I read (in The Scientist - I am a scientist) - indicated that we are programmed to eat according to the earth's rotation, much like our sleep-wake cycle is tied into the earth, so is our body's handling of food. It makes sense in so many ways, and the genetic research they've done supports this notion. So research indicates that eating in the dark hours is detrimental as our body doesn't respond well to the nutrients at night and that our organ systems are better primed to handle nutrients consumed during the day (thus the difficulties of shift work is compounded even more). So for my purpose I decided to focus on limiting my eating to the daylight hours; dinner sometimes gets into the dark hours as it is winter, but then that is my last meal and I don't eat again. Somehow when I make my focus "don't snack at night" it doesn't work but when I make my focus "be in sync with biorhythms" my mind follows suit. Go figure! So while I'm not sure how well this would work if it were summer with all the light (increased desire to eat?), but for the moment it's worth a shot!

Old 01-13-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Ballantyne View Post
Awesome Heather, glad the journaling is helping. It's one of my favorite daily activities.
Yes, it's awesome!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:51 PM

Good to have you back around.

I think I picked up as resident post whore about when you slowed down with the posting activity.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJankowski View Post
I think I picked up as resident post whore about when you slowed down with the posting activity.
Lol! Yeah; pretty obvious, isn't it? Life events steered me away, but hopefully starting this thread will keep me coming back for awhile!

Last edited by hal1 : 01-14-2014 at 08:46 PM. Reason: extra word
Old 01-14-2014, 11:23 PM

Default What!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJankowski View Post
Good to have you back around.

Oh for the love of...I have a new goal. Just kidding. If any of you ever call me a post whore, I'll take my dumbbells and go home!!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:55 PM

Sick kids are no fun. We traded our younger sick child who was in the hospital for 2 days and then out of school for the next three (this happened last week) with our older child who then proceeded to get sick (different illness) on this past Sunday and has been sick now for 4 days. He will again be staying home tomorrow due to the fever that has yet to break.

Given this craziness, my choice tonight was no workout, or 6 minute workout. Thankfully I made the choice of a 6 minute workout. Eating was spot-on today with no sweets so at least the parts of my life that I can control are under my control at the moment! Thank goodness!