TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 12th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2011, 09:38 AM

Default Never, ever, ever give up.

Hi everyone,

I'm back for a second attempt at the 12 week transformation contest. I had entered the previous contest, but didn't complete it. If you want some more background information on me, feel free to read my first post in my thread in the 11th TC forum. The short version is my name is Randy, I live in Alberta, Canada, I'm married and have 3 kids and about 5 years ago I was in a major snowmobile accident that left me with some pretty serious injuries. Prior to my accident I was in decent physical shape, but I have really gotten out of shape in the last 5 years.

It's been a tough summer for me... in addition to trying to get into shape, I've been struggling with some pretty serious personal issues.

During the last contest, when I posted about how I was doing, I kept the details of the personal issues I was struggling with out of it, but this time around, I'm going to be more open about the issues I'm having. Posting on here will be a form of therapy for me.

Partway through the last contest, I made a bad decision to drive after I had been drinking, and I was charged with impaired driving. I almost lost my job and have lost my driverís license. It was only because of my supervisorís support that I was able to keep my job.

As a result of that, I started going to counselling and I'm coming to terms with the fact that I may have substance abuse issues and may possibly have ADHD or some other similar mental issue. Basically, I have a hard time doing the right thing, whether it's to do with physical fitness, finances, or alcohol.

Here are some of the other things I am struggling with:

- I have a history of switching jobs often. I have had 4 jobs in the last 5 years. I tend to get bored with a job quickly and also tend to think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. I am happy with the job I am in now though, but I am still tempted when a higher paying offer comes along.

- I am having financial trouble. This contributes to me switching jobs often, I am always looking for a job that pays a little bit more. My financial trouble has been self induced. I operated my own business for about 10 years, and wasnít disciplined enough to set aside the proper amount of money to pay my taxes, so I owe Revenue Canada (the Canadian equivalent of the IRS) a lot of money. On top of that, I have some expensive hobbies that I have sometimes spent impulsively on and I have some debt related to that (snowmobile and an airplane.) This ties in to me getting bored easily; I like the excitement that comes from flying an airplane or riding a snowmobile in the mountains.

- and finally, the one that's relevant to this contest. I am overweight and not in good shape physically. I am one of those people who perpetually makes a new yearís resolution to lose weight and get in shape, but give up after a few weeks of trying. I had been doing pretty well when I started the 11th TC contest. On January 1 of this year, I weighed 248 lbs. At my lightest point in TC11, I was down to 222 lbs, so I know I can do it. Unfortunately, I have put most of the weight back on in the last couple of weeks, and I am now weighing in at 240 lbs.

I feel like I have two issues that contribute to everything that Iím not happy about in my life. The first issue is, as I mentioned, I think I might have ADHD or something similar. My interests and hobbies change frequently and I often start ambitious undertakings and give up quickly. Here are a couple of examples:

- I donít have a high school diploma, so I signed up for a couple of high school math courses so I could get my diploma. I stopped working on the courses after about 3 or 4 assignments in each course. I still have the courses and would like to complete them, but havenít looked at them in months.

- I wanted to build an airplane, so I bought some plans, tools, and materials and started making airplane parts. After a couple of months, I quit, so now all of these tools, parts and material are sitting in my garage.

The other issue I feel that contributes to all of my problems is a lack of self control or self discipline. I live for the moment and do what feels good without considering the long term consequences. I believe this is what caused my impaired driving charge. I was having a great time that night, visiting and drinking with an old friend that I hadnít seen in a long time. Then, without thinking of the consequences, I got in my truck and drove.

I believe this lack of self discipline is the cause behind my financial problems and health/fitness problems as well.

I would rather spend my money on an airplane or a snowmobile that gives me some excitement than set aside the money to pay my taxes.

I would rather go to Mcdonaldís and have a cheeseburger than stay home and prepare a healthy meal.

I would rather sit in front of the computer and surf the internet than get up and go to the gym.

I do have some things in my life that I am satisfied with. Iím a good electrician and I work hard to support my family. Iíve got 3 great kids and Iíve got a wife that continues to love and support me in spite of all my issues.

So here's my plan for the contest. I know this works for me, because I lost 26 lbs using this method during TC11. I just have to stick with it. For the exercise portion I will be doing the TT beginner program for the first 4 weeks, then the TT intermediate program for the next 4 weeks, and the TT original program for the final 4 weeks.

For the nutrition portion, I will be doing a combination of Lean Gains style intermittent fasting, combined with and Eat Stop Eat style fast once a week. I will try to eliminate all liquid calories and reduce my intake of sugar and processed food. I will try to eat a well balanced diet including lots of fruits and vegetables.

Here are my goals for the contest:

- lose 30 lbs and 8% of my body fat.
- stick to my nutrition plan, with the exception of one cheat meal per week.
- no alcohol for the duration of the contest.
- continue attending counselling. I'm being referred to a psychiatrist to assess the ADHD issue, my plan is to follow through with any recommendations that I am given.
- stay on track with my spending and finances.
- complete at least half of my high school math course by the time the contest is over.

If I can follow through with this, I know my life will be much better in 12 weeks. It will be difficult, but I am not going to give up. I will post my official entry photos later in the day after I go buy a newspaper.

I'm wishing lots of success to everyone else who has entered in this contest.

Have a great day,
Randy

"Never, ever, ever give up."
Old 09-04-2011, 11:34 AM

Randy,

Welcome to the club. Most of us have a ton of life issues we deal with. I'm a recovering alcoholic, going on 9 years of sobriety now. Still struggle occasionally but just remember that if I start drinking again my life is over. Almost lost my job and family not to mention driving drunk with my kids in the car. So lucky/blessed that I never hurt them.

I'm glad you're back and free to share your struggles. Private message me if you need anything.

All the best my friend.

ďYou canít always be the fastest or the strongest, but you can always try the hardest.Ē - sign in Jay Ferruggia's Renegade Gym
Old 09-04-2011, 08:23 PM

Default Starting Photos

Thanks for the encouragement John, and those that have PM'ed.

Well, here are my official starting pictures and statistics:

Height: 5 ft. 10 in.
Weight: 240 lbs
Neck: 16.5"
Chest: 45"
Bicep: 15.5"
Waist (at belly button): 46"
Waist (at belt line): 41"
Hips: 45"
Thigh: 25"

Even though I weigh more than when I started TC11, my waist and hips are smaller, and my biceps are bigger, so I think I have converted some of my fat to muscle even though I didn't complete TC11.

Posting these before pictures seems to be a little easier this time around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2432a.JPG (55.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2434a.JPG (53.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2435a.JPG (52.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2436a.JPG (75.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2437a.JPG (74.1 KB, 15 views)

Old 09-04-2011, 09:21 PM

Hey Randy, good luck in the contest. The key to this is consistency - 3 months of doing the right thing 80% of the time is better that 100% for one month and then giving up. Keep going, this is not an easy thing we're doing and we ALL hit roadblocks at one point or other.

The people here are supportive but you need to check in from time to time. What helped me in my last contest was to post a log of what I ate and the training I did - really helped keep me on track.

My suggestion would be to see how you can make things as easy as possibly for yourself and reduce the element of decision making:

eg. have pre-prepared meals in the fridge that you enjoy eating (takes longer to drive to McD's than to stick one in the micro

Find food that you enjoy eating that fits in with your goals and enjoy every mouthful as you eat that. If you hate broccoli, don't force yourself to eat it just because it's 'good'. There may be other alternatives out there that would be equally as good.

Think about why you eat - is it boredom, stress, hunger or something else. The more you understand and learn about yourself, the easier it becomes to find a way to work around that.

Sorry for rambling but just remember you're not alone in this so if you're struggling, don't keep it to yourself. Everyone here wants you to succeed.

My TC10 Thread
My Workout Journal

"I am like the turtle who just keeps moving forward without stress or strain while I whistle a happy song" - Joe Weaver
Old 09-04-2011, 09:26 PM

Smile

Hi Randy

Welcome to the TT forum and contest number 12. I am sure you going to rock this contest, I have total admiration for you to be so honest about your issues and problems you are facing. I am sure that being this honest with yourself will help you over come and really get your life together.

Everyone has issues/problems, personal conflicts and skeletons in the cupboard, they manifest themselves in a different ways for different people, but at least you have identified that these issues are stopping you from having a great life and are tackling them head on.

Good luck with your continued success and with the contest.

Keep up the great work you have already started.

Cheers for now Katie
Old 09-05-2011, 12:42 AM

Thumbs up Congrats!

Wow, good job for realizing all your short falls and embracing them, there are so many people that are in denial and always blame other people for their problems. You are already one step ahead of so many people, I believe you will succeed and reach your goal.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnac1107 View Post
Wow, good job for realizing all your short falls and embracing them, there are so many people that are in denial and always blame other people for their problems. You are already one step ahead of so many people, I believe you will succeed and reach your goal.
The title to your thread, is the key to EVERYTHING............good luck!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:41 AM

Hey Awesome on recognizing what's going on in your life and how that factors into your decision making and mentality for fat loss as well We are all here to support you.

I'm not sure if you're a reader or not, but when I read your post I just feel compelled to recommend a book to you. It's called "Making a Good Brain Great" and it's by Dr Amen.

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Good-Br.../dp/1400082080

You can read the amazon reviews on it, but it's a very informative book about the brain and how it works, and ways you can better care for it and exercise it to make it better. It talks about the differences in the actual activity and structure in the brains of alcoholics, people with ADHD, etc. I know some people who have had fantastic results from following Dr Amen's treatments.

Best of luck to you!

"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." - Mother Teresa

My TTTC 10 Thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=9998
Old 09-05-2011, 11:25 AM

Default Day 1 Update

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I will definitely check out that book.

Each morning I plan to post on how I did the previous day with regards to exercise and nutrition. I had a good day yesterday, I fasted for most of the day, then had chicken and salad for supper and a snack of raisins and almonds before bed.

I didn't do any exercising, but since I can't drive, I bought a weight bench for my home, and I started assembling it. I will finish putting it together today and will have my first workout today.

I feel good, but I am cautious because I always start strong and then give up in a few weeks.

Not this time though.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:56 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortWingPilot View Post
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I will definitely check out that book.

Each morning I plan to post on how I did the previous day with regards to exercise and nutrition. I had a good day yesterday, I fasted for most of the day, then had chicken and salad for supper and a snack of raisins and almonds before bed.

I didn't do any exercising, but since I can't drive, I bought a weight bench for my home, and I started assembling it. I will finish putting it together today and will have my first workout today.

I feel good, but I am cautious because I always start strong and then give up in a few weeks.

Not this time though.
Hi Randy

sounds like you have a good start, well done.

I think that posting each day if you can is a good habit to form, even if you only post your nutrition and exericse if any for that day. It forms part of the discipline and especially if you are having a tough time, then the forum guys will help you.

Honestly I think the community spirit on here and like minded folk really does make the difference and they are here to support you when the going gets tough.

Keep up the great work and keep positive, you CAN do this !!

Keep smiling cheers Katie