TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 24th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2015, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Not a lot of CASS-Free living these days. I had another round of caffeine before my workouts on Thursday and Friday. And tomorrow will need it as well for writing and my first heavy upper body workout in a while. Sunday will be CASS-Free. Time for one more meeting with a young gun from the BlackSmith camp and then some travel from Toronto back to the farm.

Today's workout was okay. I was little messed up going from West to East, so I didn't have a record sleep. I also had an early dinner yesterday, so maybe I didn't eat enough. Still, I had some caffeine and a good breakfast today and by the time I hit the gym I was at least "normal", although still not superpumped to lift. Oh well, I struggled strong through it.

1A) Squat
1B) Stability Ball Leg Curl - hadn't done these in a while

2A) Smith Machine Split Squat - it's good for these...more quad focus
2B) Mobility

3A) Walking Lunges
3B) Lower Body Stretching

My calves and Achilles have been bothering me lately (from all the walking I do), but feel a lot better today. I'm also seeing my ART therapist/chiro today so he'll tune them in.

Tomorrow I'll do upper body: chinups, military press, and rows, plus some rowing intervals. Sunday is off, and Monday or Tuesday will be deadlift day.

Today's Kickbutt Mindset Tip:
If you want better people in your life, you have to become a better person. Great people attract great people. So get better & become great.

Go on and get better than good,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Old 10-17-2015, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Sunday will be a "hard core" CASS-Free today. Today I enjoyed some treats. Well, just a pre-workout Zevia Cola. Whoooaaaa. Things were getting crazy out here on the farm. LOL.

But I should have had a hot chocolate instead. It's snowing here. Like winter wonderland snowing. Ol' Bally the Dog is going to be loving the afternoon walk.

Today's workout: Pause Pushups, 1-Arm DB Row, Close-Grip Incline Press, TRX Row, Arms, Ab Wheel, Slam Ball, 2 dog walks in the freezing cold.

Place a high value on your time. Don’t let others steal it away through insignificance. Remember… every moment wasted in meetings, traffic, surfing the web, gossip, etc. steals it from your children, your spouse, and your wellbeing.

Be ruthless with your time and energy for the sake of your legacy.

Own your day,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Old 10-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Today is a caffeinated free for all diet day. Now I don't mean that it's a cheat day full of sugar and nonsense and everything nice.

What I mean is that I had some pre-workout caffeine, and some of the protein powders I'll consume also contain stevia.

I even experimented with a 'high-protein' almond butter. It contained erythritol. It was okay, but I won't buy it again.

But there still won't be any alcohol or artificial sweeteners (like aspartame) in my diet today.

Tomorrow's caffeine intake will be a game-time decision. If I'm sluggish before my workout, I'll probably have some Green Tea. Otherwise, it will be a CASS-Free day.

After breakfast and the caffeinez...

It was back under - or in this case, IN - the bar today. I used a Trap Bar for deadlifts. A trap bar is built so that you stand inside a diamond or rectangle shaped area with the weights in line with your body.

The grip is a neutral grip, rather than an overhand grip. There is slightly less stress on the low back and a lot more stress on the quadriceps. You'll be able to use 10-20% more weight with this set-up.

Today's Workout:
1A) Hang Clean

1B) Mobility

2A) Trap Bar Deadlift
2B) Mobility

3A) Military Press
3B) Good Morning

4) Rowing Interval - 444m in 90 seconds

Still a long way off from the MH Fit level of 500 meters in 90 seconds.

It is your personal responsibility for who, what, and where you are in life and an attitude of Self-Reliance is your only hope for freedom in an unfree world. You must write the script for your life and design the life of your dreams. Start with this: Control what you can. Cope with what you can't. Concentrate on what counts.

Get Intense and Stay Intense,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT

PS - If you're struggling, read THIS…

Don't get upset if you are not on a straight line to success. Every journey is a zigzag. The key is to get back on track ASAP, to prepare a plan and act on it, to get support and accountability, and to motivate yourself with a deadline. Struggle strong. Push on. Stick to your vision and never, ever give up on what is important to you.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:01 AM
Administrator

CASS-Free today, although I did experiment with 3 squares of 90% Lindt dark chocolate. There were 2 grams of sugar in 3 squares, but also 3 grams of protein. Going to see if this acts like caffeine. I.e. does it give me morning energy, but also afternoon anxiety.

No workout today.

Tomorrow will be a squat (or home gym lower body) workout before a quick drive to the airport, relatively short flight to Atlanta (flying Delta for the first time in years!), and then on Saturday we're going to the Porsche Experience racetrack to drive all of the beautiful cars Porsche has to offer.

My personal favorite is the 911 Carrera 4S. I fell in love with one that I drove in Leipzig, Germany, back in 2013 (when I visited the Porsche factory and test track there).

Maybe one day when I actually buy a car I'll treat myself to one.

Until then, I'll keep riding my bike (like I did in the rain yesterday) and renting Chevy Cruz's, like the one I have this week to get back and forth to the airport. LOL.

Good stories coming on Monday,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Old 10-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Squat workout today with pre-workout caffeine. Focused. Feeling it already and it's allowed me to write some good articles. The caffeine will also keep me alert on my 90 minute drive to the airport before lunch.

On the downside, the caffeine might lead to some afternoon anxiety. You win some and lose some.

Today is also another no Coke Zero, no plastic water bottles day. I'll be using my S'Well bottle at the airport and on my flight to Atlanta. I'll also pick up some coconut water in the boxed package format.

I wussed out of venturing from the garage today. So there was no barbell squatting. I'm pressed for time with a work meeting and trip to airport. It's one of those days where I'm kicking myself for agreeing to go on this trip - I volunteered to take the place of a friend that is even busier than I.

Oh well. It makes Sunday afternoon's drive home from the airport that much sweeter. I'm going to be smiling the entire way.

But even though I skipped the barbell, today's workout was even more brutal in the garage. Punishment, I suppose, for not loading a heavy barbell onto my back.

Max HR workout (warning, can also cause a max exertion headache):

1A) Goblet Squats
1B) KB Swings
1C) SlamBall Slam

- 15 reps x 7 rounds
- No rest between exercises
- Rest 1 minute between rounds

By the way, I'm serious about the exertion headache. This workout is no jokez. Heart rate will be through the roof and perfect form is needed so you don't injure your low back. This is no bueno for beginners.

Max HR will be reached after the 3rd round.

Past is in the past, my friend. Only the present & future matter. Control what you can, cope with what you can’t, & concentrate on what counts.

Alright, enough grumbling.

Off to make the most of this day,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT

PS – One more set of words for the weekend…

Live & lead by example. Be proud of the changes you are making and what you are trying to accomplish. Create your code. Stand up for what you believe in. You will attract the right people and repel the negative. Find the right people for your life and don't be afraid to let go of negativity.

PPPS – And one set of wheels for the weekend.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Saturday was a tough challenge on the NO-plastic bottles resolution. We spent the day at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta. It was warm, but not too hot, however I didn't bring a water bottle due to the activities.

That meant going out of the way to make extra trips to the water fountain.

Full report coming on Friday!

It was a heck of a day... and I got whooped with some type of motion sickness. Imagine having a pretty bad hangover and nausea for 9 hours.

Ugh.

Oh well, good times were still had by all.

Sunday was a CASS-Free travel day, and a smooth one at that, from Atlanta to Toronto. Delta flight was on time. Water bottle was filled at ATL airport filling station. Napping on plane was achieved.

Quick drive home in the sunshine was enjoyed. Walk with dog through the newly harvested cornfield - and into the dirty river - was enjoyed. Cleaning of newly filthy dog, not so much. LOL.

Good to be back home. I'll be on the farm for 10 days, then off to California for the Info Blueprint Workshop next week, and then Denver for a week after that. We have some BIG projects coming up... including our launch of Missi's new 21-Day coaching program, Chef Gui's cookbook, and preparations for the January release of my book, The Perfect Day Formula.

Expecting some great times to be had by all in the weeks ahead!

Today was a decent caffeine-fueled workout.

1A) Hang Clean
1B) Mobility and calf stretches

2A) Deadlift
2B) Mobility and Military Press warm-up

3A) Military Press
3B) Pull-up bar hang

4) Rack Pull

5) Rowing - 500meter interval

If you insist on using cardio machines, make sure you NEVER use of the machine pre-set programs. Always use the manual interval training option to control your bursts and recoveries.

Avoid long, boring cardio programs…and never, EVER believe the calorie counters on cardio confessional machines. This is one of the biggest frauds in fat loss today.

Shape magazine found that the elliptical machine overestimates calorie burn by 42%! And even the standard stationary bike overestimates calories burned by 12%.

Don’t believe the cardio hype…and don’t use calories burned to justify eating MORE calories after a cardio workout.

Stay focused on what works,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT

PS - We had another big TT Certification on the weekend!

Congratulations to our newest Certified Turbulence Trainers from this weekend in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. What an awesome day of hands on training with Master CTT Daniel Woodrum. You still have a chance to get Level 1 TT Certified this year and join our 10 Million Mission.

http://turbulencetrainingcertification.com/level1-08292015.…

We will teach you the #1 fat loss system in the world and show you exactly how to turn your passion of health and fitness into a profitable and rewarding career. There’s no better feeling than giving others a new opportunity at life.
We look forward to having you join our CTT Team! Learn more below and register for your event in 2015:

http://turbulencetrainingcertification.com/level1-08292015.…

Old 10-27-2015, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Today was another pre-workout caffeine day. Also had some stevia via Zevia and Paleo Protein powder and Dr. Osborne's pea protein powder. Dr. O assures me that stevia does not harm the gut bacteria, in fact, it might even be beneficial for it.

And since it was a day working at home on the farm, it was easy to avoid the plastic water bottles.

Today's training was a random upper body circuit and 350 bodyweight lunges as a bit of mental challenge done in 3 sets of 100 and one set of 50.

So far it's been a great day thanks to an early start.

When you wake up SUPER EARLY you get more done. There's a correlation between morning people and success.

12 Super-Successful CEOs That Wake Up REALLY Early - Early To Rise
“Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.” Benjamin Franklin

So much can be accomplished with a long-term vision and resilience to short term setbacks. Not every problem is conquered overnight, but if you persist and never give up, you will succeed.

Keep pushing early and often,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Old 10-28-2015, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Today is an easy, CASS-Free day.

Started with reading, writing, and reviewing daily dox.

Then meditation.

Then a dog walk in the driving rain...but I like these walks. Why? Because it's the only hardship in my life. And I like coming inside and getting the wet clothes off and changing into dry clothes before I sit around for the rest of the day. It makes me feel like I've earned something. Not sure if I have, but that's how I feel!

Followed that up with 30 minutes of stretching, foam rolling, planks, and yoga-ish stuff. Then it was time for breakfast of a sweet breakfast bowl.

1 tablespoon coconut oil
3 ounces walnuts
1-2 tablespoons almond butter
2 teaspoons honey

Plus a couple of cups of decaf Green Tea in my cute lil' teacup that I bought in Istanbul, Turkey.

Had that while I read about the interesting first game of the world series.

Love this time of year...baseball playoffs, fall harvests, late sunrise, early sunset, cool temperatures, and Halloween!

Alright, off to work...

Classify your general work activities into the classic 4 quadrants:
#4 – Unimportant, but not urgent (waste);
#3 – Unimportant, urgent (interruptions);
#2 – Important, not urgent (planning);
#1 – Important, urgent (crisis).

Now look at past week...where did you spend your time and how can you improve this?

Plan your schedule and prepare your environment to overcome temptations and resist distraction.

Focus on the big levers in life that will move you ahead fastest,

Craig

PS – Forget about it when things go wrong (like Halloween)…

…It’s over. There’s nothing you can do about it. Focus on the future.

It’s OK if you get off track once in a while. It’s minor damage that can be dealt with.

Here’s the #TRUTH…

If one pound of fat is 3500 calories, you’d have to eat an extra 7 Big Mac’s to gain a pound. That’s an excessive amount of calories… so don’t worry, you didn’t overeat by 7 Big Macs over last weekend. You didn’t really gain a pound of fat.

Maybe you ate a little more, but it’s the salt and fluid retention that are showing up on the scale. Just get back on track today, drink extra water, avoid sugar, salt and trans-fats today, use my short, burst workouts, and that weight will WHOOOOOSH right off of you.

You’ll be back on track in no time.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:35 PM
Administrator

After two days of hardcore pure eating and no caffeine, today was different. First it was pre-workout caffeine. Second, there was dark chocolate at breakfast. And there will be some protein powder with Stevia, later. But those are small treats. It's not like eating a bag of mini Snickers. Off for a big squat workout now with my caffeine-fueled focus.

Caffeine was had with a treat-filled breakfast bowl:

1 tablespoon coconut oil
3 ounces walnuts
1-2 tablespoons almond butter
1/2 banana
2 squares dark chocolate (90%)
sprinkled with Paleo Protein powder (Ancient Cacao flavor)

Good times.

There's also good news on the calorie-free soda front...Zevia recently removed caramel color from their sodas. That's a potential carcinogenic in regular soda. Now Zevia cola is clear. This makes it very easy for me to avoid Coke Zero.

Another option for fizziness in healthy drinks is Kombucha, but man, that stuff gives me wicked heartburn.

I've also been drinking more coconut water. It's not calorie free, but it's good and refreshing, like a peppermint tea. And you can get in box form, rather than plastic bottle, so it suits my no plastic bottles challenge.

Unfortunately, when I tried mixing coconut water with club soda, it turned out terrible. ha!

You win some, you lose some.

In today's workout, I won. Big time. Here's how it went down at the Y.

1A) Speed Squat
1B) Mobility

2A) Heavy Squat
2B) Mobility & upper body stretching

3) Front Squat - 135 x 16 (personal best, tough)

And then I stupidly broke my rule of NO non-competing supersets and did this...what was I thinking...I need to fix this for future sessions, as both exercises belong in this workout.

4A) RDL
4B) DB Lunge

In anticipation of the holiday season to come...Be pure in thought, word, and deed today. Eat purely. Choose water and Green Tea over soda. Love purely. Forgive others & wish them only the best. Do not gossip or complain. Spend 5 minutes in prayer or meditation. Hug your family. Praise a friend. Recognize a peer. Be as PURE as can be for just one day. You can do this.

Let's go.

Going,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT

PS - You can do this, here's why...

“You are capable of greatness. All you need to do is believe in yourself. The first step on the journey to success is having a little bit of faith. Don't ever let anyone ever tell you that you can't do something, never lose faith in your abilities, and be willing to take risks. You'll get to where you were meant to go. Just believe.” – Bobby Maximus
Old 11-02-2015, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Friday night was a late night and I didn't sleep well. I was tired on Saturday, but it was an off day. Fortunately the clocks feel in my favor the next night and I grabbed 8.5 hours of sleep - followed by another 8 hours last night.

Neither Saturday or Sunday were perfect diet days, but today is CASS-Free. It's also an off day, with a big deadlift workout tomorrow.

In addition to the clocks falling back, International Chest Day fell back from Monday to Sunday in my world.

I'm just doing my part to free up the bench press for people today.

My workout on Sunday morning was:

1A) Board Press - 5x5
1B) Pause Chin-up - 4xMax

2A) DB Chest Press with 5s eccentric
2B) Barbell Row

3A) Dips
3B) BB Curl

Meathead Sunday Funday.

And here's another Men's Health contributor that did a similar upper body meathead session...

From Robert MacDonald (Bobby Maximus) of Gym Jones:

When it comes to gaining mass machines can be incredibly beneficial. They can help you build acidity and chase a pump like nothing else. One of my favorite workouts to do when using machines is to pick two opposing muscle groups (I.e Chest & Back) and do super sets. Complete reps to failure on the first machine then immediately complete reps to failure on the second. Do this for ten sets with 30-45sec rest in between each set. Don't worry to much about weight as all machines are different just pick a weight that makes your muscles feel like they are going to explode.

Seated Chest Press to failure +
Seated Lat Pulldown to failure
Ten sets, Rest 30sec between
Don't worry about weight, just chase the pump

And now moar from maximus...

"Forget going around obstacles in order to avoid them. Put your head down, brace yourself, and run right over them. The quickest way out is always directly through. Always face your challenges and fight them face to face. You have the strength within you, don't take the path of weakness. Believe in yourself and your ability to be successful and persevere." - Bobby Maximus

Get going through them,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT