TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 10th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2011, 03:44 PM

Unhappy I need to be smarter

Had a bad day yesterday with a stressful argument with a close family member. Recently I've been keeping my alcohol consumption under control, but I chose to react badly, and drank about a bottle and a half of white wine.

I know I shouldnt have even brought it into the house. I do feel a bit guilty, but its not really the calories that concern me. Its more of how I felt today. I have had a mild hangover, and not felt like doing much today. I usually exercise on a Sunday even though I would prefer it to be a total relaxation day.

That said, I managed a quick 10 minute tabata style kettlebell workout first thing on friday, and did 2 circuits of the March Madness 2009 KB/BW 10X20 workout yesterday morning.

I've taken today out to hopefully reset my hormones after yesterdays booze binge and accept that there will always be failures along the way. Yesterday was a big failure, I felt quite low because of my shoulder and sore ankle from Bulgarian split squats, and reacted badly to the strss incident. I want to do better next time around. Its time to focus on these last 8 weeks.

I'm going to change my cheat days from Fridays to Saturdays. I think it will help as I can be a bit more relaxed.

For workouts this week I'm scheduling tomorrow, Tuesday and Thursday morning for completing my current main TT workout, Buff Dudes Hot Chicks (I think this will work as the split is more conducive to training 2 days in a row). Thinking I might tinker around with my rep tempo and do the leg exercises lactic acid style for equal eccentric and concentric time. Hoping to add another Friday and Saturday mini workout again along the lines of this week as well.

I really need my measurements to start moving again. I must be smarter. I think I will keep a food journal this week, and see how it works. Will also think about making fast days Tuesday and Friday to see how that works.

Weigh in tomorrow morning. Hope that last night hasnt done too much damage.

Neil
Old 02-13-2011, 06:04 PM

Smile now a little happier

a little update after my earlier post. did a quick workout:

3 sets of slow eccentric chinups 10,10,8. then a quick kettlebell ladder from 10 reps to 1 rep 1 arm kb cleans, and 1 to 10 1 arm snatches with the 14 kilo bell. didnt take long.

I also read one of the alternative landing pages on John Romaniello's final phase fat loss program site regarding training modalities for spot reducing problem areas.

I really want to target my abs and lovehandles so will be doing the next 2 weeks BDHC in the lactic acid style for the lower body exercises. Also going to continue doing the bodyweight conditioning circuits in bodyweight cardio 2 instead of intervals and hopefully maximise the afterburn effect.

I also feel I need to incorporate some sort of density training. So this is going to be the plan from this week:

Every saturday is going to be an addition bodyweight challenge day.

For the next 2 weeks Buff Dudes Hot Chicks (modified)
Monday A
Tuesday B
Thursday C

Will do the circuits from BC2 on the Monday and Tuesday workouts as workout C has tabata intervals in it already.

I hope the scales move a little tomorrow morning.

Earlier in the week I bought some Maximuscle Thermobol as it was quite significantly reduced by a tenner. I wouldnt normally use a supplement like this and was planning on saving it for the last 4 weeks, but I feel I've plateaud as other than alcohol, my diet cant really improve much. Will take this as an experimental period.

Anyway, its bed time. Alarm is set for 5:15am!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:04 PM

Congratulations on doing the workout, Neil. Mis-steps will always happen but moving on is the key. You're doing well.

My TC10 Thread
My Workout Journal

"I am like the turtle who just keeps moving forward without stress or strain while I whistle a happy song" - Joe Weaver
Old 02-13-2011, 11:39 PM

Default Just hang in there

Things happen. It's always a question of how we move forward. Glad to see you sticking it out.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:32 PM

Default Thanks guys. Any nutrition suggestions please?

Cheers, I appreciate the support. This plateau is totally doing my head in.

The scales arent moving and the tape isnt telling a happy tale either. The only place I appear to be losing fat is my quads and that is nowehere near where I want it to shift from. My leg strength has progressed, but upper body, in particular, chest and shoulders is lagging behind because of my right shoulder, and I cant see any fat loss from between my chest and the upper groin. Its just so frustrating.

But I do know the one things that is really holding me back is alcohol. I've been trying to avoid reality, but the reality is I JUST CANT DRINK IT FOR THE NEXT 8 WEEKS!!!

I bought The 4 Hour Body by Tim Ferris and reading his fat loss diet strategy. Interesting reading and it his diet wouldnt be how I would do things. But if the scales fail to move again next monday, despite 2 Eat Stop Eat days scheduled between now and then, then I am going to have devise a different strategy yet again. But I do feel his diet would fit in with my eating schedule, but I have always avoided low fat diets wherever possible, and I know I would find not eating fruit 6 days a week with all its antioxidants etc etc quite hard.

What are your current nutrition strategies? Any tips anyone else can share?
Old 02-14-2011, 04:45 PM

Default todays workout

forgot about this part.

I did the walking lunges and bulgarian split squats lactic acid style (i.e. the reverse of the rep tempo and did the concentric phase as slow as I could bear on the squats). Did all the lunges ok in fact did 12 on the first set instead of the prescribed 10 with 20kg, and the split squats were done using 16kg DBs. This was 6kg lighter than when I did them in the normal manner last week, but boy were my legs stinging like I've not felt in a long time. Did 12 12 and 10 a side.

Didnt bother with the optional calf raises, they dont really need any work. did tinker with the remaning optional ab exercises and did them as a circuit in reverse order:

3A "extreme" X body MC on stability ball 8 per side
3B ball roll out 10
3C plank on ball 30s

My abs are quite sore tonight. Will remember that circuit!!!

then did workout C of bodyweight cardio 2, 2 rounds of the circuit.

I'm very tired tonight and have the alarm set again for 5:15 tomorrow morning. Wanted to go back to bed as soon as I got to work at 9am!!!! looking forward to bed in about an hour's time.

zzzzzzzzzzzz...................
Old 02-15-2011, 01:34 AM

Stay strong, man, and you'll bust through the plateau. I've been through it a number of times now and find it to be a real challenge but it will pass. You're on the right track and I hope it passes soon.

By the way, have you taken stock of what you eat and drink over the week? If you want to try something different, just follow Craig's general guidelines, aim to eat about 500 cals below your BMR (http://www.etoolsage.com/Calculator/BMR_Calculator.asp) every day and keep the twice weekly ESE fasts. If you go over on one day, compensate for it over the next few days. If you're already doing this then please disregard what I've just written

There's no point forcing yourself to do something you won't be able to sustain.

Just a thought.

My TC10 Thread
My Workout Journal

"I am like the turtle who just keeps moving forward without stress or strain while I whistle a happy song" - Joe Weaver
Old 02-15-2011, 06:53 PM

Default thanks Gerry

I think I'm probably eating more calories than estimated. probably too many almonds or something like that, so I really could do with logging everything on fitday.

just had no time to do it today because of life stuff. no forum access at work, every blog is restricted by our IT depts internet usage policy. it really pisses me off!!!

I've been busting my ass with intensity in my workouts. but its strange, I've not felt tempted to drink because of how bad i felt about it last sunday.

i did get to read a bit more of 4HB. Gerry you've been doing the slow carb diet. How did you find it?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilg197 View Post
I think I'm probably eating more calories than estimated. probably too many almonds or something like that, so I really could do with logging everything on fitday.

just had no time to do it today because of life stuff. no forum access at work, every blog is restricted by our IT depts internet usage policy. it really pisses me off!!!

I've been busting my ass with intensity in my workouts. but its strange, I've not felt tempted to drink because of how bad i felt about it last sunday.

i did get to read a bit more of 4HB. Gerry you've been doing the slow carb diet. How did you find it?
I'm following the food recommendations but not the part where Tim Ferris says you eat as much as you like as long as you only eat meat, legumes and vegetables. I find it no problem at all to follow but eat only till I feel full. Ultimately, I believe fat loss comes from a calorie deficit over the week and that resistance training will maintain and build the muscles.

Also, although I used to go nuts on the Cheat Day to the point of binging, I tend to eat whatever I like but not to excess just because I can. I also try do a fast on the day afterwards. The Cheat Day is when I get my four or five fruits

So far, it's been working for me. I'm not sure of the hormonal benefits, etc. of going slow carb but my view is that this diet provides me with a straightforward framework where I'm never hungry, I never have to think about what I eat and still end up in a calorie deficit over the week.

On average, I've been losing about a kilo a week this way so it's been working for me BUT given that a weekly calorie deficit is what counts, I'm going to try experimenting by adding other foods in while still maintaining the deficit. I might throw in two ESE fasts or try the leangains system to help maintain this.

My TC10 Thread
My Workout Journal

Last edited by gesunelson : 02-15-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:34 PM

Default I'm doing the slow carb diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesunelson View Post
I'm following the food recommendations but not the part where Tim Ferris says you eat as much as you like as long as you only eat meat, legumes and vegetables. I find it no problem at all to follow but eat only till I feel full. Ultimately, I believe fat loss comes from a calorie deficit over the week and that resistance training will maintain and build the muscles.

Also, although I used to go nuts on the Cheat Day to the point of binging, I tend to eat whatever I like but not to excess just because I can. I also try do a fast on the day afterwards. The Cheat Day is when I get my four or five fruits

So far, it's been working for me. I'm not sure of the hormonal benefits, etc. of going slow carb but my view is that this diet provides me with a straightforward framework where I'm never hungry, I never have to think about what I eat and still end up in a calorie deficit over the week.

On average, I've been losing about a kilo a week this way so it's been working for me BUT given that a weekly calorie deficit is what counts, I'm going to try experimenting by adding other foods in while still maintaining the deficit. I might throw in two ESE fasts or try the leangains system to help maintain this.
That sounds like the advice Paul McKenna (UK self-help writer and hypnotherapist) gives in his "I can make you thin" book and hypnotherapy cd which comes with it: Eat what ever you like, slowly and consciously, chewing your food a number of times and placing your cutlery down with every mouthful.

For me, I like the theory behind it. I tried 4 scrambled egg and flageolet beans for breakfast this morning. I couldnt stand the beans!!! in the UK there is a tendency to eat baked beans but they are usually bought in tins with sugar laden tomato sauce, I've never enjoyed them and the beens were horrible done as is.

I did the eggs with chinese five spice and chilli flakes. I wish I'd just had the eggs, I usually find them satisfying enough. I also made chilli con carne last night with lean minced beed and just had a decent portion without grains (I would usually have quinoa with it). I reckon the meal was about 350-400 cals and I was really full. I had the remainder of the mix for lunch at work.

I've been racking my brain today and I think where I've been going wrong is overuse of fats in particular, almonds and olive/hemp oil. Yes the alcohol over the weekend wouldnt have helped, but I am quite liberal with my oils bearing in mind I havent been eating many carbs recenlty.

Another thing that will have helped is the fibre from the kidney beans. I know this is a bit gross to say, but I've been having trouble going recently. I had 2 absolutely massive dumps before I left for work this morning!!!!!! lol!!! The chilli con carne definitely helped clear the blockage.

I really enjoy peas and broad (fava) beans, so I've had a chicken breast with peas and beans, and mushrooms and spinach sauted in a teaspoon of olive oil, with a lemon/lime, chilli & cumin, and hempseed oil dressing.

Measuring my oils is definitely going to help.

Tim's tip to use cinnamon in black coffee also helps because I cant stand black coffee. I just dont enjoy it without a small slip of skimmed milk, but the cinnamon just made it much more palatable.

Today was the first day I have felt "I dont have to fast" to achieve fat loss. I think if I have 4 meals of around 400 cals I can do well on this plan. As for cheat days, well I dont think I am going to need one until next friday. In fact I probably have been using cheat days as an excuse to allow myself to binge and have some wine. On this plan I could have a couple of glasses of red wine a night. I plan to keep it under control though, and as its the hormonal kick in the nuts that screws everything up.

I've decided an alcohol ban will depress me further. So I'm allowing myself 375mls of red wine twice a week, once per week on a non cheat day and once on the cheat day itself. I've had some red wine tonight and for the first time in a long while, I actually felt I was enjoying it slowly and without guilt.

I've logged my food for today at work and will see how it adds up on fit day after I finish up here.

Exercise wise today is a rest day, although I have bought another game for my xbox kinect - fighters uncaged. that is more for the supposed raising of testosterone and adrenaline effects. Back in the gym tomorrow morning for workout C of buffdudeshotchicks!!!

I have a hot date tomorrow. Its my daughter's valentines school disco. she will be after lots of kisses from the boys. She's only bless her!!!!