TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 22nd Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Ballantyne View Post
I hope you find what you need within you to take this issue seriously, because it is a serious obstacle in your way of success in many areas of your life.
I started yesterday in 100% gluten free for at least until Easter. I am not Catholic but figured this was a great time to go 100% a few days early but I need to do this!
Old 02-16-2015, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Hi Shawn, you need to understand that if you need to be gluten-free, you need to be gluten-free for life.

It's black or white. No grey areas.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Ballantyne View Post
Hi Shawn, you need to understand that if you need to be gluten-free, you need to be gluten-free for life.

It's black or white. No grey areas.
I do understand.
It has been a hard lesson for me and gluten. I have been so stubborn in making the commitment! Even going 100%... I see I was already trying to sneak it back in after a time.
Thanks for keeping me focused.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Happy to help.

Always remember - You are your most important client. Take your own advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnss711 View Post
I do understand.
It has been a hard lesson for me and gluten. I have been so stubborn in making the commitment! Even going 100%... I see I was already trying to sneak it back in after a time.
Thanks for keeping me focused.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:30 AM

Default Quote

I have a quote from J.H. Pilates that resonated with me this morning:
"The acquirement and enjoyment of physical well- being, mental calm, and spiritual peace are priceless to their possessors"

The reason this hits home for me is that I have been lacking that mental calm lately.
Between my youngest son and school and running a business I have been frazzled lately.
Being a parent is the most challenging job ever! It's funny I have 6 children and #6 has been the challenge of my life.I love my son dearly and as challenging as he may be I must press forward and keep doing my best for Matthew.

So I have decided for the remainder of this contest to focus on mental calm instead of the physical. I have been getting in my workouts. I know how to eat supportive to fat loss.I know what to eat and what not to eat. Even with the FODMAPs. Even beyond FODMAPs, stress affects digestive issues.

If I handle my stress levels, the rest I feel will fall in to place. I have been stuck within the same 5 pound range for the last year and a half. Yes some eating and drinking habits were at issue but the "stress eating ad drinking" were just that. I need to address the real issue reducing stress. Even when I am doing everything right. My stress level has been high.
I am sure it has been cortisol and mental calmness that are the biggest factors in all of this plateau business.

I teach one Yoga/Pilates fusion class a week. It helps some but I have to plan and teach the class so it doesn't help much...

Action Steps:
1. I will get up and meditate daily.I will do what I can from 1-5 minutes to start. My schedule varies from day to day.
2. I will take 1-2 yoga classes a week at the new yoga studio in town. I can also use this as a networking opportunity for business.
3. Actually look at the yoga studio schedule and schedule that into my weekly schedule.
I have been talking about doing this for sometime. I know STRESS is my biggest hurdle at this time.

This is an edit I just added when my husband forwarded me this quote:
"If you don't think your anxiety, depression, sadness and stress impact your physical health, think again. All of these emotions trigger chemical reactions in your body, which can lead to inflammation and a weakened immune system. Learn how to cope, sweet friend. There will always be dark days."
Kris Carr

I really need to take more time to relax

Last edited by shawnss711 : 03-10-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:10 PM

Thanks for sharing all of that Shawn. It sounds like you have a good plan. I thought I would share some of the things I've learned recently that have have helped. I can't remember where I read this, but it just hit me hard(in a good way). I think it was a TED talk. Some people are predisposed to anxiety just as some are naturally laid back. I am the former. I see it in my Dad, my sister and my daughter. Now this could stress me out,(like it will never end) but it actually caused me to relax some! I am not crazy or having a psychological breakdown every time anxiety rears it head. My body reacts to stress this way and there are things I can do to stop it. It is,for the most part, physical. I do believe some of it is spiritual and don't discount going to the creator of everything for help! The other thing that was cool that I figured out was the importance of breathing. I sort of already knew this, but didn't connect it to my body. As I was memorizing the muscles used in inspiration and expiration(why the heck can't we just call it inhalation and exhalation!!??)I learned that when you have disordered breathing, you begin to use the chest muscles...which eventually leads to headaches and neck pain!(I know you already learned this, but it was cool for me!) I don't know if you remember my neck issues. They are still an issue and have been driving me insane! I'm convinced now that my tendency to "pant" is the root of my neck and upper back tension. I have never experienced the chest tightness or pain with anxiety. Mine has always been the feeling of not being able to breathe. Soo...I'm going to be up early doing even more breathing right along with you. The problem for me is that I tend to do it all day when I'm not thinking about it. I'll catch myself and take a deep breath. It feels SO GOOD! I hope that as I add it to my morning, I'll retrain myself to breathe correctly! I'll be praying for you and your son. I know that stress for sure!
"She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks."Proverbs 31:17
Old 03-10-2015, 03:01 PM

Thanks, Leslie.
I appreciate your insight. I do know the difference between chest breathing and belly breathing. I have learned over the years from Pliates and Yoga trainings.
I just need to take more time to relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieM View Post
Thanks for sharing all of that Shawn. It sounds like you have a good plan. I thought I would share some of the things I've learned recently that have have helped. I can't remember where I read this, but it just hit me hard(in a good way). I think it was a TED talk. Some people are predisposed to anxiety just as some are naturally laid back. I am the former. I see it in my Dad, my sister and my daughter. Now this could stress me out,(like it will never end) but it actually caused me to relax some! I am not crazy or having a psychological breakdown every time anxiety rears it head. My body reacts to stress this way and there are things I can do to stop it. It is,for the most part, physical. I do believe some of it is spiritual and don't discount going to the creator of everything for help! The other thing that was cool that I figured out was the importance of breathing. I sort of already knew this, but didn't connect it to my body. As I was memorizing the muscles used in inspiration and expiration(why the heck can't we just call it inhalation and exhalation!!??)I learned that when you have disordered breathing, you begin to use the chest muscles...which eventually leads to headaches and neck pain!(I know you already learned this, but it was cool for me!) I don't know if you remember my neck issues. They are still an issue and have been driving me insane! I'm convinced now that my tendency to "pant" is the root of my neck and upper back tension. I have never experienced the chest tightness or pain with anxiety. Mine has always been the feeling of not being able to breathe. Soo...I'm going to be up early doing even more breathing right along with you. The problem for me is that I tend to do it all day when I'm not thinking about it. I'll catch myself and take a deep breath. It feels SO GOOD! I hope that as I add it to my morning, I'll retrain myself to breathe correctly! I'll be praying for you and your son. I know that stress for sure!
Old 03-10-2015, 05:34 PM

Maybe read some fiction or watch a few you-tube videos of comedians in the evening to turn your brain off.(or old seinfeld episodes)
"She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks."Proverbs 31:17
Old 03-11-2015, 10:33 AM

So an update on my plan.
I did a minute of meditation before bedtime to relax.
I also took a few minutes this morning to meditate as well.
Eating was on plan.
I am loving the warm up in Michigan! I rode my bike to the studio yesterday and again today.
I have logged 3 miles since yesterday. As far as relieving stress goes the bike was just that.
I mentioned my old truck is falling apart. The power steering being major stress... It is leaking and will cost $500 to fix which isn't in the budget at this time. So it really felt good to get out on my bike. Less stressful than driving a truck that won't steer. Although, I had a wipe out this morning on the way back from the studio. All of the snow is melting which is a good thing, but the thin layers of water created an ice patch after the colder overnight temperatures which I did not notice by the crosswalk. When I got off the bike to turn it to cross the main road there was a patch of ice. I slipped and went down on my butt and back. My butt has some padding and I had my back pack on so my back was padded as well. All is well with me and my computer (which was in the back pack) is fine as well.

Life is good
Old 03-16-2015, 07:25 AM

I am still figuring out which gluten free products are best....
I went shopping on Friday and bought a frozen GF pizza crust. I didn't read the label. I knew the kids wanted pizza and I was trying to be compliant with my GF. It was very high in sugar.
I do like to cook but this past week has been crazy. I am still finding what GF products are good and which ones are processed garbage!

I am loving the nice weather. It is supposed to reach 63 degrees F today! I am riding my bike to the studio this morning and again later for the evening classes.

I have decided to do Dr. Gottfried's 21 day hormone reset.The book releases on Wednesday so I will likely start on Monday after my Friday shopping trip. No meat will be a challenge for me. I love veggies and I have eaten vegetarian fare before but no meat will be a big challenge!

Last edited by shawnss711 : 03-16-2015 at 03:27 PM.