TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 12th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntSox View Post
I hadn't realized this, but this is going to be tough ... I don't want to cut out the activities I've been doing! From pickup tennis games to a weekly free-for-all ultimate frisbee to weekend runs with friends, a lot of my socializing centers around athletic stuff... so throwing in concentrated workout plan is a bit hectic. It will fall in place in a week or two.

I can't get the hang of eating regularly. I did one of my patented, "Oh, I know why I'm hungry -- I forgot to eat breakfast!" routines around midday. While I resisted the quick fix candy bar, I've been hungry all day, chasing that meal I missed.

That said, the Bodyweight routine this morning was a good start to the day, and to this transformation contest.

Thanks for all the encouraging words. Once I find something concrete to ask, I'll post it.
Take some veggies or fruits and "eat before you eat" so to speak. The candy bar would have just made me hungrier!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobB View Post
Take some veggies or fruits and "eat before you eat" so to speak. The candy bar would have just made me hungrier!!!!!!!
What Rob said

Everytime you have a 'situation', treat it as a learning experience and be prepared for the next time. It's good for you to know how YOUR body reacts to things and what YOUR drivers are and work around them.

My TC10 Thread
My Workout Journal

"I am like the turtle who just keeps moving forward without stress or strain while I whistle a happy song" - Joe Weaver
Old 09-20-2011, 03:25 PM

Post Head Check

I slacked off this week.

I'm not a bad person, and I didn't shave years off my life, but I wasn't really trying. I didn't divide my food into smaller meals, fueling my body all day long. I didn't find a way to get into the gym so I'd do my routines. I'm not drinking water, and I'm not even trying to increase my caloric intake (remember -- I want to gain 10 pounds through all this).

And I still played tennis with my wife, ran 10 miles, and had fun with my kids over the week.

However, two weeks into the challenge, I see some things I need to do:

I need to fix lunch to take to work, with enough installments that I can graze several times during the day.

I need to eat more -- the healthy rices and pastas.

I need to stop whining about how long my original BW TT workout takes, get up 15 minutes earlier, and do it.

I need to run once or twice a week (that one's just for me).

Today playing Ultimate Frisbee with the Marines and others at work, we split into skins and shirts. I'd like to think I held my own when I took off my shirt (Hey, I've got 20 years on them), but next time I want some re-spect! (We won, by the way.)

BS
Old 09-20-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntSox View Post
I slacked off this week.

I'm not a bad person, and I didn't shave years off my life, but I wasn't really trying. I didn't divide my food into smaller meals, fueling my body all day long. I didn't find a way to get into the gym so I'd do my routines. I'm not drinking water, and I'm not even trying to increase my caloric intake (remember -- I want to gain 10 pounds through all this).

And I still played tennis with my wife, ran 10 miles, and had fun with my kids over the week.

However, two weeks into the challenge, I see some things I need to do:

I need to fix lunch to take to work, with enough installments that I can graze several times during the day.

I need to eat more -- the healthy rices and pastas.

I need to stop whining about how long my original BW TT workout takes, get up 15 minutes earlier, and do it.

I need to run once or twice a week (that one's just for me).

Today playing Ultimate Frisbee with the Marines and others at work, we split into skins and shirts. I'd like to think I held my own when I took off my shirt (Hey, I've got 20 years on them), but next time I want some re-spect! (We won, by the way.)

BS
Hey there.

I was just reading through your latest post and I sensed a lot of guilt here. Its easy to be our own hardest critic.

but theres no need for you to do any of the things that youre talking about here. Beleive me I know... theres no need to beat up on yourself because you had a less than perfect week. I got it wrong for the first 4 weeks at the start of TC and still made the final, so dont think its all lost after 2. Since contest 10 I've had about umpteen false starts

What you could be doing is trying to find out the deeper reasons why youre doing this process... Once you find the underlying reasons, you will find the desire necessary to achieve what you want. Take a few backward steps.

It helps to

plan,
get support,
and have a contingency for when things go wrong.

preparation and anticipation are key here.

focus on a practical diet/nutrition plan that suits your lifestyle and personality first. If you only want to eat once or twice a day then do it. If you want to graze, then do it. theres no scientific proof that eating the same amount of calories in 1 meal is any better than over 6 or more. the workouts will sort themselves out, and are to a large degree less important.

Keep strong and get things into the right perspective, and the results will come.

Neil Gazzillo, Telford, Shropshire, UK

My Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/neil.gazzillo
Old 09-22-2011, 07:18 PM

Great advice from Neil that I'll second.

I too am trying to put on some muscle (yep, I'm a girl in the muscle club.. not anything insane, but I want increased functional strength and I am lean, so that is going to mean noticeable muscle mass increase...) so it'll be cool to see how things go for you. I think I may try taking pics of everything I eat/drink to document the process.

Rooting for you; you can do it... and Neil is definitely right; don't force yourself into an eating pattern you don't enjoy. The longer I pay attention to fitness/nutrition, the more I realize it's a calories in/calories out equation (but it helps to be mindful of how foods make you feel).

"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." - Mother Teresa

My TTTC 10 Thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=9998
Old 10-22-2011, 10:08 AM

Default One month later, one month to go.

I've been away from a month, and while it's not like I'm heading home, this is a good point to stop and reflect on my workouts.

I live in Cameroon, and I don't have access to the gyms I'm used to. I'm back in America for a few weeks, and have joined my 75-year-old father at his hole-in-the-wall gym for his 6 a.m. workouts. He is amazing - he started a few years ago when he was having trouble hauling in fish during weekend fishing outings - and has a good routine for 45 mins, 5 days a week. He enjoys having me around, though we don't do the same activities, and I confess that when I did his set of 35 pullovers I was a little sore the next morning.

The gym is not fancy by any means, but worlds beyond what I have access to back home. I've reveled in using barbells, and access to dumbbells over 50 pounds. I've stuck pretty much to a couple of cycles of TT Super 6, though US travels have made that a little difficult at times.

I've maintained weight, maybe gained five pounds, this month. This is good, because I usually lose weight while traveling because my meal schedule is disrupted. More importantly, though, I see a healthier definition to my body. It one of those things where you sense the difference, though objectively it's not yet enough for anyone else to see. We all know that one.

But Skype is reassuring. Yesterday my wife, who's back in Cameroon, and I were chatting and she oohed about about my arms were buff. The challenge - hold that until I am back there next week. Or until the end of TT Contest 12. Or the rest of my life.

All in all, a good month.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:21 AM

Sounds like you are doing well and being disciplined while you are traveling. That is very hard for most people I know. So keep up the good work and let your wife enjoy those biceps.

Safe travels,

James
Old 11-02-2011, 05:01 PM

James -

I'm back, and ready to close out TT Contest 12 with a month of fury. Thanks!

BS
Old 11-24-2011, 09:20 AM

Thumbs up Reflections 11 Weeks In

My 12-week contest period ends around December 3. I like the workouts that TT offers, and I enjoy seeing the camaraderie on these boards; I don't have a community of exercises to share experiences and workouts with.

But after 11 weeks I'll be damned if I've transformed anything. When I started the contest, my wife said, "Can't you just be happy with the way you are--you look great?" It would be nice to have affirmative muscle, but what I started without, however non-hulkish, is defined. More importantly, I can do physically pretty much what I want, and my clothes fit (when I take the time to buy clothes my size).

At 47, I may well not pack on 30 pounds of muscle, but more importantly I don't think I have the discipline to give up the group sports, the running, the family time in evenings, the 7 hours of sleep, execute a TT program that will PUMP [beat] ME UP. But I'm not conceding failure. I'm in a good place, and will continue to incorporate the basic principles of TT - good food in moderation, regular, focused exercise, positive attitude. I'll even submit pics for the contest.

But though it won't be a winning entry (I can't see any change!), it's been a winning experience for me. Thank you, TT.

BS
Old 11-24-2011, 11:27 AM

This may be one of the best post I've read to date. There really is something to be said for being happy with who you are. Don't forget you are part if the inspiration for my continuing goal after this contest is over(Tough Mudder here I come!).

Stay fit n stay strong,

James