TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 10th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2011, 10:59 PM

Default mango

haha funny, i tried a mango the other day... at least I think it was a mango. i didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped, but out here some fruit is under ripe others over ripe... and I'm not familiar enough with mangos to know which, if either, condition applied. I'll try again when I get home.
let me know what you think :-)
I'm trying new stuff too... going to spain for a day and half on the way home from the sandy regions... i'm sure to encounter something i've never tried :-D

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
Steve Prefontaine

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."
- Beverly Sills

Avatar Picture is Jamie Eason. A very amazing woman in the fitness industry. Want to look like her!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:16 AM

Default Day 5

Yesterday was day 5 for me.

Tried my mango with breakfast- only ate about 1/4 of it. It was pretty good. Has a texture like a peach but a more pinapple-y flavor. Packed the rest for work- I just am not a breakfast-y kind of person, so this eating breakfast is an adjustment for me so I'm trying to keep it small during my adjustment.

Went out and rode my horse; I'm very pleased with how she's been doing lately, and extremely happy with how settled she is in her new home. She seems more settled than she was in her old one, which is wonderful. Had a good ride (decent workout, I was sweating by the end of the ride). Stayed and cleaned my tack (a lot of walking/standing and scrubbing) which was extremely dirty so took about 1.5 hrs to do.

I was originally planning on going to the gym after I rode, but schedule wise it worked out better for me to put it off until after my four hour ER shift so that I could drop my dog off at my mom's (she keeps him on my long work weeks so I can stay with a friend for a few consecutive days and not have to drive the hour and change to and from work). So, I ran around with Lance the dog for a bit then took a shower and got ready for work. Dropped off the dog, then headed to work. It was busy but not crazy. I spent probably close to 3/4 of the shift on my feet walking or pushing patients around, so at least I was moving.

After work, I went home, packed for my primary job for the next few days (including food) and then went to the gym.

TT Beginner A again today; my personal bests? I did all real pushups for the whole thing (yeahh!! now to try and keep that up!), Raised my weight for DB squats from 20 to 30 lbs. Raised my DB Row weight from 10 to 15 lbs.

So that was my day 5. All in all a good day. I ate a few hershey's kisses, which I shouldn't have but I was at work and they always have crap for us to eat. After I realized I'd eaten 3 of them, I went to the lounge and got my pear and some almonds. I think a lot of this is just mentality adjustment. My fitday has the remainder of my food log. I'm still pretty concerned that I'm not meeting my 1200 calorie/day goal- I don't want to be eating too little but I'm really not hungry... thoughts on this? Also, how you do all meet the protein requirements? I feel like even with following the plan made by a nutritionist, I'm still not getting the recommended protein intake (should be about 100g or more due to my weight) ?

Thanks guys
Old 01-04-2011, 12:52 AM

Default Day 6 = Not so Hot

Oh, day 6, how I loathe thee.

that about sums it up, lol.

So, I had 2 nightmares last night (very interesting ones, but still nightmares that woke me from my sleep) and I didn't sleep well, so I kind of started the day off on the wrong foot, feeling really tired and sluggish all day.

I tried to put this behind me, ate a great breakfast; 3 applegate sausage links, 1 kiwi, 1 apple. I wasn't hungry enough for anything else.

Did my daily work chores (joy), ran 1 call....

Got back, ate lunch (3 oz turkey breast, spinach salad with tomato, celery, carrots, rasp viniagrette dressing).

Did more of the work thing, got another call; took some almonds with me to eat since I was starting to get hungry.

This is where I began to meet problems.

We ended up stuck out for a long time, and made it back a few minutes after we were scheduled to get off work. I had a meeting to go to that I needed to not be late for, so I had no time to make my salad, and especially no time to eat it having to drive 45 minutes to my meeting. The meeting was supposed to be about 3 hours long so I knew I'd never make it thru without food, so I ended up getting fast food. I feel okay about it, in the grand scheme of things because it's only one meal and I've done well sticking to my diet (minus a few hersheys kisses). I only got one cheeseburger, so I stayed within my daily calories, but I've been trying to pick higher quality foods with less fats in them.

This has led me to some research, and I'm going to look at a lot of the different fast food places I end up passing when in time crunches like this or when stuck out without food to find the healthiest all-around menu options so that I at least have a bit more control over it than I did today. I have an "eat this, not that" book at home, and I should probably pack that into my work bag or at least leave it in my car. Anyone come across any good guides that give you all the info that are pocket-sized?

I've been thinking about making a list of the "healthiest" (of course that's a loose term when it comes to fast food) menu options in a .doc form and putting it on my blackberry. Anybody done that? I figure it will at least ensure I know what I'm eating.

I used to eat out a LOT, so in the grand scheme of things, one cheat meal isn't going to kill me, I'm doing so much differently than I used to anyway. It's really one thing in my life that I probably should plan on happening once a week because of how busy I am.

Anyone have any good "on the road" healthy meal ideas? I have to eat a lot while driving on days like today, and all the foods I eat now require refridgeration or require prep/both hands (like salads, soups, etc).

Anyway, went to my meeting, which went okay. All in all, it wasn't a terrible day, but probably my worst day so far. I just remind myself of what Winston Churchill once said "Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm". It's a failure to me because I had to deviate from my meal plan (and hence one of my goals for the week), but that just gives me all the more reason to greet tomorrow with enthusiasm, and pick up where I left off.

No workout tomorrow either, as I'm on a Wed/Fri/Sun schedule, but I don't have any road blocks to my meal plan for the next week like I did today (that I know of, anyway! Never know in life I guess) so I'm planning for success. New goal: remainder of week 1 and all of week 2 without a meal plan deviation. Based on my schedule now, that should be an attainable goal.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:49 AM

Can you take a very small cooler? I have one that is big enough to hold a drink, some sandwiches, etc.

Trail mix is always good, or you can buy something like LunaBars or make your own protein bars (Precision Nutrition has some good ones)? I also thought of tuna/can opener and crackers in the car (but that's two hands) plus some dried fruit...needs no refridgeration. Here in Canada at least you can buy little snack size tuna cans with flavorings. Also, I can't tell from your posts, but are you prepping stuff like salads ahead of time and portioning into containers?

How about protien shakes in a food grade flask? Would that work?

Hope that helps

Tina

"Dream the impossible, do the incredible."

"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you will suck forever!!!"
Old 01-04-2011, 03:37 AM

you can order a grilled chicken "burger" and most places will allow you to ditch the bun and add lettuce... making it somewhat of a lettuce wrap...
getting a kids meal is another option for portion control, its enough calories to make you a few hours... and some places are opting for healthier options for sides, like apple slices.

and of course there's always subway :-)

hope that helps... and yes, if anyone has a pocket guide or for eat this not that... or something... oooh maybe there is an iphone app for that... hmmmmmmmm i'll have to look when i get home.

Steve Prefontaine

- Beverly Sills

Avatar Picture is Jamie Eason. A very amazing woman in the fitness industry. Want to look like her!
Old 01-04-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedicrr View Post
Oh, day 6, how I loathe thee.

that about sums it up, lol.

So, I had 2 nightmares last night (very interesting ones, but still nightmares that woke me from my sleep) and I didn't sleep well, so I kind of started the day off on the wrong foot, feeling really tired and sluggish all day.

I tried to put this behind me, ate a great breakfast; 3 applegate sausage links, 1 kiwi, 1 apple. I wasn't hungry enough for anything else.

Did my daily work chores (joy), ran 1 call....

Got back, ate lunch (3 oz turkey breast, spinach salad with tomato, celery, carrots, rasp viniagrette dressing).

Did more of the work thing, got another call; took some almonds with me to eat since I was starting to get hungry.

This is where I began to meet problems.

We ended up stuck out for a long time, and made it back a few minutes after we were scheduled to get off work. I had a meeting to go to that I needed to not be late for, so I had no time to make my salad, and especially no time to eat it having to drive 45 minutes to my meeting. The meeting was supposed to be about 3 hours long so I knew I'd never make it thru without food, so I ended up getting fast food. I feel okay about it, in the grand scheme of things because it's only one meal and I've done well sticking to my diet (minus a few hersheys kisses). I only got one cheeseburger, so I stayed within my daily calories, but I've been trying to pick higher quality foods with less fats in them.

This has led me to some research, and I'm going to look at a lot of the different fast food places I end up passing when in time crunches like this or when stuck out without food to find the healthiest all-around menu options so that I at least have a bit more control over it than I did today. I have an "eat this, not that" book at home, and I should probably pack that into my work bag or at least leave it in my car. Anyone come across any good guides that give you all the info that are pocket-sized?

I've been thinking about making a list of the "healthiest" (of course that's a loose term when it comes to fast food) menu options in a .doc form and putting it on my blackberry. Anybody done that? I figure it will at least ensure I know what I'm eating.

I used to eat out a LOT, so in the grand scheme of things, one cheat meal isn't going to kill me, I'm doing so much differently than I used to anyway. It's really one thing in my life that I probably should plan on happening once a week because of how busy I am.

Anyone have any good "on the road" healthy meal ideas? I have to eat a lot while driving on days like today, and all the foods I eat now require refridgeration or require prep/both hands (like salads, soups, etc).

Anyway, went to my meeting, which went okay. All in all, it wasn't a terrible day, but probably my worst day so far. I just remind myself of what Winston Churchill once said "Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm". It's a failure to me because I had to deviate from my meal plan (and hence one of my goals for the week), but that just gives me all the more reason to greet tomorrow with enthusiasm, and pick up where I left off.

No workout tomorrow either, as I'm on a Wed/Fri/Sun schedule, but I don't have any road blocks to my meal plan for the next week like I did today (that I know of, anyway! Never know in life I guess) so I'm planning for success. New goal: remainder of week 1 and all of week 2 without a meal plan deviation. Based on my schedule now, that should be an attainable goal.
Boo to nightmares! I keep on dreaming about work... I'm back tomorrow after nearly two weeks off

I think your blackberry plan is a great one. If fast food eating is something you can't really avoid because of work then it's the best solution to minimise the damage.

Also, for the fast food situation you could always have a small portion, then bring your own almonds etc to top you up?

And like Tina says, maybe because you're on the road all the time you could invest in a wee cooler? It would give you a lot more options and I don't think they're too expensive. You could also get a thermos for soup?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:58 AM

I think having a list of options for each fast food place would be helpful...the best options if nothing else is available.

When I traveled a lot, I would try to stop at a grocery store and get lunch there. Easy to buy a salad, fruit, etc.

Good luck!

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it --Margaret Thatcher

The link to my FitDay Journal: http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...Owner=howell27
Old 01-05-2011, 12:59 AM

Default Day 7- a little better

First off, thanks everyone for all the wonderful suggestions... Dried fruit is a good one (if I can find some without sugar added; grr!), I'll have to look into protein bars too. Thanks guys!

And yes, I am prepping salad in advance, but not adding all ingredients together (because the salad is slimy then, lol). Still takes 2 hands though, haha.

Okay so Day 6.....

Didn't sleep well last night either, but I was lucky that I got to go back to bed at work. I couldn't do breakfast today because I couldn't make myself eat. We got a call around 10, so I took hummus and some crackers to eat on the way.

Ended up busy all day, barely got lunch in (around 2pm) and caught a late call (the circumstances kind of spoiled my mood; I hate it when I have to see someone almost die because they didn't get the closest help for whatever reason), but at least we were able to help the person. This put me back home around 9pm so that's when I got dinner; but I did eat my planned meals today so I'm happy about that; resisted the on the road snacking temptation. I splurged a little and added some cheese to my salad tonight (haha, big splurge I know).

I'm at 1,027 calories for today per fitday.com... my ratios aren't quite what I want, but my calories are still below my 1200 rule. Any opinions? Like I've said in previous posts, I'm not hungry, but at the same time, I don't want to have too few calories.

Hard to believe that today is my 7th day and I've completed a whole week! I will weigh myself tomorrow and see if I've made any progress.

Tomorrow is TT Beginner workout B, and I'm ready! Tomorrow is also my last workday of the week at my full time job. Hoorah! That means more time with my horse! I have 12 hours at the hospital this weekend, but that's okay, I have 3 days completely off, one 4 hr shift and one 8 hr shift, so it'll be cake.

Fun thing of the day: booked my flights for my Cancun trip in March, I'm sooo excited

Till tomorrow!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:52 AM

Default horray

yay for cancun trip in march!
my mom's family is wanting to have a family reunion this summer at a water park!!! talk about some motivation... sounds like i'll have time for 2 transformation contests before that... thankfully, because I've got a ways to go!

The lesser hours are a blessing, I'm sure you'll find ways to enjoy the "down time"

Steve Prefontaine

- Beverly Sills

Old 01-05-2011, 12:32 PM

Oooo cancun. Sounds lovely! My mum went there a few years ago and raved about it. Also, you're such an inspiration sticking to your plan with such a hectic schedule. As for the calories, weigh yourself tomorrow and you'll get a better idea about how much you need to eat. If you've lost lbs then I wouldn't worry too much!