TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 10th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2011, 08:22 PM

Great essay, beautiful abs, arms, and everything. Bravo!
Old 03-26-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Thank you so much everyone!

I must say that there were times in the last 12 weeks, that I wondered what pics would show. I just kept looking at that tape measure every Wednesday and faithfully recorded my measurements, but didn't dare take a pic, as I thought I wouldn't see what the tape measure was telling me and would doubt myself, but I needed measurements to give me something objective.

Having a sorta relaxing week this week. Been doing some major painting work in an upstairs bedroom...lots of sanding and stuff (our house is 50-60 yrs old, and the upstairs drywall that old too), so I am really thankful my back and shoulders are stronger and I don't feel as wiped as I have in the past when I have done this work (been painting this bloody house off and on for 3 freaking years now! Aaargh!) Nutrition wise...I will admit I haven't really tracked anything the last 3 days, had allowed myself some things like some donuts, but am reigning this in now...amazing how bad junk makes you feel after eating healthier.

Already I am approaching the end of this off week, and am toying with what to do next. One thing I have been considering as well instad of fighting for one more inch on the waist is some sort of mass building. I really did enjoy lifting heavier as the contest went on. I know most TT women probably wouldn't want to be doing this, but I would really like to add more muscle. I really really like the look of the arms and back/backsides of fitness competitors (atlhough I know that their level of contest "ripp-ed-ness" is not something even they achieve in daily life) and believe it or not I would want more butt LOL!

I know that means EATING more, and not being afraid of gaining some weight back. The key is not to gain *too* much like just fat. I briefly tried this for 6-7 weeks after contest 4but didn't have the knowledge I have now and just "ATE" and felt horrible and bloated without tracking my calories properly or even having a clue how much I needed so gave up.

I downloaded Craig's TT Barely Legal Mass Gain (Nov 2005 I think) and it has some good nutritional guidelines and guidance for your calories/activity level. I would have to eat 2000-2200 calories a day or so according to the calculations here, my maitenance would be about 1780 cal which agrees with an activity quiz I took from Leigh Peele's Fat loss troubleshoot book. I have read in archives a long time ago in Brad Pilon's older blog or else an old archive here something about keeping track of your waist measurements as well, and maybe throw in a once a week fast briefly too for a few weeks if you feel your waist is getting too large. Of course I will have to be tactical and not haphazard, and measure shoulder circumfence, flexed bicep, over time so that I dont freak out just seeing what is on the scale. etc. I'll have to post to Craig about some of this stuff if I am considering it more seriously. I think I would have to aim for 12-16 weeks, and then hopefully with the timing of a contest focus on fat loss for 8-12 weeks (and Venus index measurements...BTW need to get someone to measure my shoulders).

So much to think about!!!!

Great to read the essays tonight slowly trickling in and I am excited to see everyone's results!!!
Tina
Just been reading your thoughts about building some mass, which is something a lot of ladies are very scared of. Very brave of you to think about doing this, and I think you will have great success, as your body will hyperadapt to your increased calorie intake after being in a deficit for so long. just remember to keep your reps slower and controlled, and go as heavy as you can, especially if thats something you enjoy.

Put it this way... If the next contest opens in May, then you probably have at least 6 to 8 weeks to do it... And your body will probably thank you for it. More muscle mass = more fat burning remember. You could perhaps focus on mass builing over that period and for say 3 or 4 into the contest.

Then just diet the way you did in this contest for the rest of the next 8 weeks, and I bet you will transform even further.

Just somthing for you to ponder over there Tina.

Neil Gazzillo, Telford, Shropshire, UK

My Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/neil.gazzillo
Old 03-26-2011, 07:13 PM

Sorry, I'm like 10 years behind the times! CONGRATULATIONS! You look really amazing. Good luck on your muscle building mission - it will be a nice change from fat loss! Think of all that food you'll get to eat
Old 03-27-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilg197 View Post
Just been reading your thoughts about building some mass, which is something a lot of ladies are very scared of. Very brave of you to think about doing this, and I think you will have great success, as your body will hyperadapt to your increased calorie intake after being in a deficit for so long. just remember to keep your reps slower and controlled, and go as heavy as you can, especially if thats something you enjoy.

Put it this way... If the next contest opens in May, then you probably have at least 6 to 8 weeks to do it... And your body will probably thank you for it. More muscle mass = more fat burning remember. You could perhaps focus on mass builing over that period and for say 3 or 4 into the contest.

Then just diet the way you did in this contest for the rest of the next 8 weeks, and I bet you will transform even further.

Just somthing for you to ponder over there Tina.

Thanks Neil!

My "week off" ends today, time to start some new workouts tomorrow! Yay!

OK, call me weird, but I really like lifting heavy (safely of course). Time to put on a bit of muscle!

The hours of, distance away of our gym, and the fact I homeschool and have both kiddos at home in the day and get too revved up and unable to sleep when I train at night makes it impractical to train at the gym and mean EARLY morning home workouts for me before everyone gets up and we all have to go on with the day. I do have a straight bar and use that to deadlift, and have quite alot of weight plates, 2 sets of dumbell handles, kettlebells etc. The only thing I cannot do at home is back squat...no rack and cannot afford one even second hand. But, there are ways of making leg exercises harder (like Bulgarian split squats from a deficit).

I have spent the last week staying up way too late reading stuff about mass building. (actually been doing alot of reading/thinking about it the last 3 weeks or so). I know enough better now than after my contest 4 I was in about calorie needs to now feel somewhat confident that I can eat more and not put on "too" much weight. Everything I have come across from Craig and others seems to indicate my maitenance is about 1780-ish calories, and I would need about 2000-2200 or so for increased intake. I plan to track my measurements as I go along. Got a good response from Craig in the muscle building forum. I know there are some other things I need to dial in too, like getting enough sleep so those muscles have a chance to build!

Actually, Neil, knowing you and I have talked calorie counting recently...I saw a past entry on John Romanillo's blog (comment to a reader) where he describes it taking 2-3 hrs a month instead of an hour a day, in that you can enter 10-15 meals and / or snacks (when you think about it most of us rotate the same meals in our daily habits) and calculate their calories, and know their count ahead of time. I also tend to eat a lot of "single foods" like say cottage cheese, a tbsp of almond butter and a bit of stevia for a snack rather than a muffin that I have no clues of calories....easy to calculate calories there too ahead of time if you measure well. Thought this was a brilliant idea and I am working currently on this to make calorie counting easier

Really, I think it is do-able, but not that easy to mass build, So I am probably going to take a while on this. I am hoping at least 12 weeks, preferably 16, so that would mean sitting out contest 11, but for sure would get into contest 12, and we'll see them if I need 8 or 12 weeks to lean down a bit. The "mental" in all this will be the challenge (waist going up a bit) but at least I know I have a strategy and am DOING SOMETHING with the extra calories (building arms, back, etc).

Off to bed, tomorrow am going to start with TT Build Muscle at Home !

Tina

"Dream the impossible, do the incredible."

"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you will suck forever!!!"

Last edited by crazycanuck : 03-27-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 PM

What I read on another forum was that fat loss was a sprint while muscle building was a marathon. I try to keep that in mind when setting expectations for myself.

My TC10 Thread
My Workout Journal

"I am like the turtle who just keeps moving forward without stress or strain while I whistle a happy song" - Joe Weaver
Old 04-03-2011, 09:15 AM

Well, if everyone wants the down and dirty on workouts...I am over in the workout journals! I am doing TT for Mass at home (April 2007 monthly workout) It's great so far

I still come "here" everyday looking for another contest entry to read....lets get going here people LOL! Good to see everyone on the home stretch.

It is very different eating for muscle. I have kept a calorie count the last 2 weeks, as much as I hate doing this on a long term basis I know I need it to get a better pic of things especially now that I am not fasting ESE style. I am measuring almost everything like cottage cheese, almond butter, oil for my pan, salad dressing and other calorie dense stuff like I was before, but also things like what does 2 cups lettuce look like, or 1/2 c corn? Good to home my "eyeballing" skills.

I will admit my first 3-4 days of my off week I had some splurges, like donuts (4 in one day....ooops...led to alot of carb bloat!). Now I have that under control, and have looked at my food diary, and can see where I need to fine tune. Craig's resources I have looked at and other calorie calculations I have used seem to give me a maitenance of 1700ish range for now, and 22-2300 for muscle building. I've had some days I have hit 2500 but can see what I need to dial back a bit on.

I have very quickly come to the conclusion that it is not too hard to do this when one adds grains back into your diet. So basically looking at my typical eating habits, and the last 2 weeks, I can see that having a preworkout meal like dairy and fruit (I workout usually 5 am-ish), a much bigger breakfast post workout being sure to add some extra carbs, and not fasting will pretty much do that. Just to be safe I will still be conservative with the grains/breads on non workout days. I also will add a bedtime snack, probably only on workout days for now. You don't need to drink a gallon of milk a day! This agrees with the (very) few resources on line that I have found re: women and muscle building that talk about being a bit more conservative with calorie increases for us girls (like 300-500 per day above maitenance.

Hubby took my measurements like shoulders and biceps last Sunday. I will do these and thigh in 3 places every 2 weeks, and waist and hips and weight every week. Did these today...weigth is 131 this morning (up from 125-126) BUT my waist above, at and below the belly button has only gone up by 1-4-1/2"...whew! I will keep a close eye on that. We'll see what the next 12-16 weeks will hold!

Off to the journals to post now before I must go to work!

Tina

"Dream the impossible, do the incredible."

"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you will suck forever!!!"
Old 04-03-2011, 10:52 PM

Thanks for sharing what you've found on muscle building for females Tina Now that I'm done with TC10 I'm hoping to gain a few lbs of muscle as well! And its so helpful to hear what you've read about it!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Congrats Tina, was really inspired by your essay and results,

Craig
Old 04-11-2011, 03:28 PM

Congrats on making the finals! You look so amazing and I loved your essay. You've found the balance in nutrition and the toned look I want to achieve. Thanks for all your support on the forums and congrats on such a wonderful transformation!
Old 04-16-2011, 06:47 PM

Go Tina!!!! Nice work on the contest results!! Well done and congratulations.

My TC10 Thread
My Workout Journal

"I am like the turtle who just keeps moving forward without stress or strain while I whistle a happy song" - Joe Weaver