View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 05:33 AM
Administrator

I recommend instituting a "cut off time" and 12-hour break between dinner and breakfast.

None of this is physiologically magical, but it is psychologically.

If you know you must eat breaktfast at 8am the next day, it means that you must stop eating at 8pm.

So at 8pm, or sooner (again, this is all depending on your plan), you brush your teeth. You chew gum. You drink water. You remove yourself from all temptation.

You tell yourself, here's my personal rule that I do not break: I am not the type of person that eats after 8pm. I do not eat for 12 hours between dinner and breakfast. The end.

You might also add a "cut off food", like cottage cheese, as suggested, that signals the end of your eating.

I use an apple.

Or you could have some other ritual...such as changing into PJs and having a personal rule that "I am not the type of person that eats in their PJs".

All of these little tricks will help. You won't bat 1.000 (i.e. 100% compliance) with this system, but it will dramatically reduce the number of problems and most important, your guilt levels.

LMK how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyks44 View Post
Hi, Craig.
My nutrition hurdles are mostly the mindless/restless eating in the evening which I think is a common problem for people. I tend to search out food in the evening even after having a nice nutritious supper and I shouldn't be hungry and I am not. Sometimes I think it is hormonal as it is worst just before "that time of the month", but that would only be one or two days. I know what I need to do and eat, but sometimes my brain doesn't like to listen. Now given that, most of the "junk processed food" is not in the house, so the extra food usually isn't terrible food, but still extra nonetheless.