TT Members Forum

TT Members Forum (http://forum.ttmembers.com/index.php)
-   8th Transformation Contest (http://forum.ttmembers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Naomi's workout journal (http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=9291)

thebestme 07-12-2010 06:58 PM

Naomi's workout journal

Okay, okay, I'll write it down. I was supposed to have left for the gym 35 minutes ago but my workout partner, my husband, is not feeling well so I'm on my own. I should be happy about this because it means I can go to the women's gym, which will mean I have the weight area to myself on a Monday night. But I'm sitting here procrastinating. Interesting that after all this time, I still have stuff that I'm stuck on.

I just started creatine again. I didn't notice anything last time I took it, but there were so many variables and it can't hurt. With 3 weeks to go before final pix, I might as well give this a shot. So I am going to take my 4th dose today and out I go to do workout A in Hot Dudes Buff Chicks. That's a pretty good one to be doing with no spotter anyway. Okay. So here I go. Right....NOW! No, now!

Sigh. Someone, kick me please?
Music? Check!
Water bottle? Check!
Workout list? Check!
Okay, bye for now!

momof4 07-12-2010 08:04 PM

Naomi, Glad to see you have a thread now. Congratulations on your 2nd place finish in the 5 week mini contest.

thebestme 07-12-2010 08:42 PM

Thank you, Deena! I have been meaning to start one for a while now!

I have not missed a workout yet but this was one of the tougher ones to get myself to go to. That tells me I've become really reliant on my workout partner. I guess that's not a terrible thing. I thought he was leaning on me more than the other way around so it's good to see it's a two-way street.

I have not been taking MSM as consistently as I was for the last month and clearly it was helping my knees, and without it, well, not so good. When I did the walking lunges even with the warmup weight, I could not get very low at all. But I was determined to push myself a bit more tonight and going forward so I went ahead with a heavier weight and it was okay. I will be curious to see how it goes next week with consistency on the MSM.

Everything else in the workout was great. So I used 30 lb dumbbells for the walking lunges (felt I could have gone heavier) and for the calf raises. I had to add a few reps on to most of the body weight stuff to feel I'd pushed myself.

I can't wait for Wednesday; that is my favorite workout of this one. I am nowhere close to doing a a pullup but I am still making progress towards some day doing one. I love the fast and furious pace of that workout! And the intervals are not quite so brutal as tonight's which I was forced to do on a treadmill. Oh, so not good trying to go from 3.x mph to 9mph back and forth for 30 seconds. Dangerous, actually. No casualties tonight! At the main gym, I do the 30/30s on the escalator stair machine or the spin bike. Much safer and easier.

thebestme 07-12-2010 08:53 PM

Congratulations, Deena! I am sorry I didn't connect it up until just now! LOL! I need to eat and we are having kitchen deadlock so I can't get in there yet!

momof4 07-12-2010 09:01 PM

I've been thinking about doing Buff Dudes & Hot Chicks next. I just can't decide, but I have 3 weeks.

Don't you feel a lot better that you went ahead and got your workout in? I always do when I have a hard time getting motivated. I hear you on the 30 sec intervals on a treadmill. Crazy, scary!! When I've done them on the treadmill, I hold onto the bars and jump my feet to each side until the speed comes down to walking. It worked okay, but I sure prefer to do the shorter intervals outside.

thebestme 07-12-2010 09:19 PM

ROFLOL on the jumping. That was how I nearly killed myself! I left the treadmill running at my 9 once and just did nothing but pant for 30 seconds. Oh, not bright, no, not at all! Talk about hitting the ground running! I wasn't gonna share about that because Craig might lecture me and I promise I didn't do that foolishness a second time. So shhh. Don't tell anyone! ;)

Evergreen 07-13-2010 07:17 AM

Glad to see your thread Naomi! :)

You are blessed that your husband works out with you. Sounds like you had a good workout though even though he couldnt make it.

Stay Strong!

Evergreen 07-13-2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebestme (Post 126906)

I just started creatine again. I didn't notice anything last time I took it, but there were so many variables and it can't hurt. With 3 weeks to go before final pix, I might as well give this a shot. So I am going to take my 4th dose today and out I go to do workout A in Hot Dudes Buff Chicks.

Let me know how the creatine works for you. I tried it a couple of years ago and really did not notice a difference either.

thebestme 07-13-2010 09:00 PM

Yay! He's back! He went and did workout A tonight and felt strong so I have him tomorrow. Yes, I'm super lucky. Part of the luckiness is we're in it together so as we zip around and sweat the place up, we are not alone! LOL! I know people kind of stare at us. Hee hee!

I'm on day 2 of my loading phase. I am not sure when I'm supposed to notice something. And I've made a dietary change so I will not know for sure if it's working. I have backed off the uber low calories I was doing and now am luxuriating in about 1700 calories. It's crazy how that seems like an insane amount of food when I was likely eating 1000 more than that before I started dieting. But after 1250 for so long, I am just beside myself! If I want to eat a WHOLE avocado, not just half, I can afford it! Woo hoo! Party time here!

Okay, on to workouts, I did a Zumba class this morning. It has been too hot in that class lately so I didn't really push it. I am more into Craig's philosophy now; the "at least 30 minutes of moving" should be something I enjoy, at least once a week. So while Zumba is a total sweat fest, I'm not as competitive as I was before I started TT. I just get a groove and have fun, something I didn't always do before because I was wearing a heart rate monitor and checking it to make sure I hit over 600 calories. I've ditched it and have no worries! I would not be surprised to find I'm burning 500 but who cares!

coastalveg 07-14-2010 12:51 AM

Hey Naomi! I like your philosophy for off days!! That's great!
You are looking awesome, keep up the great work!;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebestme (Post 126961)
Yay! He's back! He went and did workout A tonight and felt strong so I have him tomorrow. Yes, I'm super lucky. Part of the luckiness is we're in it together so as we zip around and sweat the place up, we are not alone! LOL! I know people kind of stare at us. Hee hee!

I'm on day 2 of my loading phase. I am not sure when I'm supposed to notice something. And I've made a dietary change so I will not know for sure if it's working. I have backed off the uber low calories I was doing and now am luxuriating in about 1700 calories. It's crazy how that seems like an insane amount of food when I was likely eating 1000 more than that before I started dieting. But after 1250 for so long, I am just beside myself! If I want to eat a WHOLE avocado, not just half, I can afford it! Woo hoo! Party time here!

Okay, on to workouts, I did a Zumba class this morning. It has been too hot in that class lately so I didn't really push it. I am more into Craig's philosophy now; the "at least 30 minutes of moving" should be something I enjoy, at least once a week. So while Zumba is a total sweat fest, I'm not as competitive as I was before I started TT. I just get a groove and have fun, something I didn't always do before because I was wearing a heart rate monitor and checking it to make sure I hit over 600 calories. I've ditched it and have no worries! I would not be surprised to find I'm burning 500 but who cares!

thebestme 07-14-2010 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coastalveg (Post 126968)
Hey Naomi! I like your philosophy for off days!! That's great!
You are looking awesome, keep up the great work!;)

Aw, thanks! Now to get back to Naomi's Philosphy of Sleep, which is: Do it! It is no coincidence that when I worked out how to overcome the stress in my life that was waking me with anxiety attacks, the fatloss finally fell into place. Right now, I fear I am fighting what my husband has. My brain hurts. Literally. I have been staving off a headache with water for 3 days now. I don't tend to take drugs of any sort (except homeopathy...hmmm...perhaps that is what I need to do now. Why do I always remember to treat everyone except myself?) My brain starts to feel like it's shrinking. Between the headache, thirst and trips to the bathroom, I'm not sleeping that well. The mind does tend to get noisy when I wake at night and my usual meditation tricks are not working now. It is so important for me to get sleep. Not only does the body restore and detox at night, but I am so useless when I don't. I have given up caffeine so without sleep, I can't seem to get up and going. And caffeine does not help as it just prolongs the bad sleep and restarts the cycle. So I'm hanging out, having some water, thinking about a snack, and knowing I'm going back to bed shortly for at least another hour. It's going to be a busy day and I need to be at my best. If I can't sleep now, I can fit in a nap at midday. I must get my sleep account balanced.

Evergreen 07-14-2010 06:55 AM

You are so right Naomi- sleep IS so important! I hope you got back to sleep and wake feeling much better!

thebestme 07-14-2010 05:36 PM

I quit!!!!

I totally quit! No need to go on. I've had a document called "Body fat down to 20%" that I started keeping body fat results in well over a year ago. Last test, 3 weeks ago, still over 23%. Discouraging; results were moving so slowly.

Today, I hit it! I'm done. Gonna put my feet up now. Hit my goals. All set.

Yeah. Right. Took me about a second to set my next goal at 18%. I am stoked! This is a major milestone for me and it hasn't really sunk in yet. I am thrilled at the progress in the last few weeks and clearly it's partly down to the tt workouts because that is just not what I was getting before.

Walking on air today!!!!

thebestme 07-14-2010 08:44 PM

Buff Dudes hot chicks workout B
pullups slightly improving. Rested toes on stool and did 4 for warmup sets. Did 8 negatives X 3
flat bench 30 lb dumbbells w/spot. Can't get that 1st lift solo

row and incline press stuck with 30s, spot needed on 1st rep and asked for spot right the way thru because shoulder scares me a bit

1 arm shoulder press 20 lb. Got heavy by 3rd set. Was able to self spo and cheat 1st 2 sets but spot helped keep shoulder safe 3rd set
8/10/11 Reps decline pushups but am not going all that low, still need to baby that shoulder. Did incline pushups during warmup to take some weight off and all was good.
Curls were only 15 lbs. Too light but 20 too heavy for 10 reps. Wish there were weights between. So did not get much out of the curls but form was solid.

Interval workout B. Spin class using bikes so used the elliptical with handles. First time doing intervals on that. Not bad for these. Quick to change speed and I can hit an 8 out of 10 if I crank
up the arm work. Fun and quick workout. Some stretching for 5 minutes.

Goal was to push harder and request spot to push me and I did that. Solid workout. Up to 1500 calories so far. Will have some fruit and my fish oil and call it close enough.

thebestme 07-15-2010 11:52 AM

I love my gym. It's the best gym in the world. It has classes for my kids, all included with our membership! So today, while my younger daughter was at a class, I did some long boring cardio while listening to Craig's podcasts.

Today, after the thing I call the escalator, I got on the treadmill just as Zack Evenesh was starting and suddenly, I could not just walk on an incline. With him going on about making a playground out of everything, I just had to mix it up. So the 10 minutes of walking turned into a 15 degree incline with giant steps, staying low the whole time.

After that, I did a machine my husband makes fun of. In fact, I've only ever seen old people use it, and they usually shuffle off wheel chairs. Whatever. I got the middle machine between two elderly people and arm pedaled away. Or whatever it's called. All I know is you can increase the resistance and change directions, and there is just not a lot of cardio equipment out there that does upper body.

So, my 30 minutes are done, would not say it was fun, but it beat sitting around while my daughter was in her gym class, and I got to listen to podcasts.

coastalveg 07-15-2010 12:34 PM

Congrats on hitting your goal. You had me scared for a second there lol!

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebestme (Post 127017)
I totally quit! No need to go on. I've had a document called "Body fat down to 20%" that I started keeping body fat results in well over a year ago. Last test, 3 weeks ago, still over 23%. Discouraging; results were moving so slowly.

Today, I hit it! I'm done. Gonna put my feet up now. Hit my goals. All set.

Yeah. Right. Took me about a second to set my next goal at 18%. I am stoked! This is a major milestone for me and it hasn't really sunk in yet. I am thrilled at the progress in the last few weeks and clearly it's partly down to the tt workouts because that is just not what I was getting before.

Walking on air today!!!!

thebestme 07-15-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coastalveg (Post 127074)
Congrats on hitting your goal. You had me scared for a second there lol!

Thanks for playing along! It's really kind of fun to post here. I normally post my workout stuff on FaceBook but I get met with blank stares and the sound of crickets chirping so I finally cut way back.

hal1 07-15-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebestme (Post 127080)
Thanks for playing along! It's really kind of fun to post here. I normally post my workout stuff on FaceBook but I get met with blank stares and the sound of crickets chirping so I finally cut way back.

Who needs Facebook when you have us as an audience? :-)

shandajoy 07-16-2010 12:11 PM

Late Congrats on taking 2nd place in the 5 week contest. You look great and I can tell you worked hard. Way to go!!!

thebestme 07-16-2010 09:49 PM

Thanks, Shanda. :)

Just came back from a Mind over Matter workout. My plan for the end is to increase calories and work harder, so that's what I'm doing. Only, I didn't get enough sleep last night and I had a day full of errands so by the time my husband was ready to go to the gym, I was dragging.

It was workout C in the Buff Dudes Hot Chicks, followed by intervals.
My knees still bothered me a bit so I could not go deep on the lunges. For the last few weeks, they were good. But I've upped the weight so maybe it's related. No. It hurt during the warmup lunges. Anyway, I did 15 lb dumbbells for the warmup and then 30s for the lunges and RDL. 25 for the rows. Could probably have done 30 except my hands really just could not hold them any more. I am going to have to buy new straps. I can only find one.

I feel like my thighs are bulking. In my late 30s, I went totally into body building mode for legs. They were massive. I used to do legpress with every plate the machine could hold. Took me maybe a year to get there. I guess it was a personal challenge. Then I stopped doing legs altogether and they took a few years to shrink down. Maybe they remember this? I'd rather they stay slim so I am not sure what to do here. I don't want body builder legs again. I do want to let those nice large muscles burn off the rest of my belly fat.

Anyway, onto the intervals. The Friday intervals are all body weight stuff. I could not do it at all the 1st week because my shoulder was in agony. I did regular intervals instead at Craig's suggestion. Last week, I made up my own intervals. Did Tabata for about 10 minutes. Stuff like jump rope, shuttle sprints and kettlebell swings (with dumbbell). This week, I was determined to get thru the intervals as written but I knew I'd need some breaks. I took about 30 seconds after all the squats, another 30 after the planks, and I didn't do any of the pushups. I did swings instead. The side planks were more than enough for my shoulder. I could not do all the planks right through. Definitely need to work more there. One of Craig's podcasts, he said he did a 2 minute 40 second plank. Yeah. 30 seconds is still tough, thank you. I need to focus more on increasing my plank time.

The weights part of the workout was not fun. If I had not made an agreement with myself to really push it, I would have let myself off the hook with light weights today. The intervals were fine, but definitely harder than I can do without breaks at this point.

Tomorrow, one of my daughters has an hour long class at the gym so I'll be doing some light cardio with good music. I'd much rather walk outside but it's too humid this time of year. Then it's family pool time!

thebestme 07-17-2010 07:15 PM

Not sore from yesterday. Disappointed I didn't push harder. Light workout today and pool on this killer hot day. Half the time spent doing maintenance but totally worth it. My younger daughter can finally swim under water and loves jumping in, diving for stuff, etc. Great fun! I brush the pool and call it not sitting on my butt. It counts, right?

pageboy9 07-18-2010 10:11 AM

Anytime you're moving and not eating it counts. Welcome back, and isn't this fun?

thebestme 07-18-2010 10:35 AM

I'm having a blast! :) Sort of sad it's ending so soon for me and everyone else still has weeks to go. I am not looking forward to the contest ending, not at all. My secret fear all along, as I have put away clothing that bags off of me and hunted down coupons for smaller sizes, is that it's all temporary and that without something hanging over my head, I'll revert to being over 170 pounds.

I love the new me! I want to stay this size and continue working towards my goals. I am a tad afraid of the no accountability thing, I guess. I wonder if I just need to always have some challenge that I've made publicly known in a safe place so I can keep moving forward. That does seem to be a winning formula!

Evergreen 07-18-2010 12:35 PM

dont put away those bags of too big clothes- git rid of them!!!!! :)

thebestme 07-18-2010 12:47 PM

Did you get rid of yours? You are so bold. I am still mourning a dress I thought I'd never wear again, a designer dress from early in my career. A dress I could not afford and put across 2 credit cards. I apparently let it go just about a year ago after all these years.

I'm also mourning all the really cool clothing I bought from the last time I hit this size (which was then called a 6 and is now called a 4, isn't that interesting) for about a minute. For some reason, I ate only grapefruit and tuna for a month or two and lost a ton of weight but I had zero clue what I was doing and as soon as I went back to the way I was eating, well duh, that clothing stopped fitting. After a few years, I got rid of it all. I had money then so it was super nice clothing.

Also, I feel pretty darned poor if I get rid of everything that doesn't fit because that leaves me with only about $300 worth of clothing.

Baby steps, mama! LOL! Go easy on me!

I think I need thin therapy! :rolleyes:

thebestme 07-18-2010 07:46 PM

No gym workout today, just a ton of playing with the girls in the pool. That was in no way a workout but we all had fun.

Got my period yesterday and having a bit of trouble with food. Definitely more hungry than I have been so I've just gone right over my calories. I'd like to be done for the day but I am craving something so I might mix up this crazy emergency thing I do. I make tiny amounts so it's not a huge indulgence and it helps get me through rough patches like today.

Possible ingredients:
sunflower butter
coconut oil
dried coconut
xylitol and/or stevia
raw cacao powder
etc

I don't really like the sunflower butter that much so doctoring it up a bit helps me feel like I'm getting a treat and my husband eats it too. For my daughter, I blend raw almonds, honey and raw cacao powder. This is much healthier than the bars she used to eat. I have to stay away from it because of the honey right now but it is yummy.

Evergreen 07-18-2010 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebestme (Post 127185)
Did you get rid of yours? You are so bold. I am still mourning a dress I thought I'd never wear again, a designer dress from early in my career. A dress I could not afford and put across 2 credit cards. I apparently let it go just about a year ago after all these years.

I'm also mourning all the really cool clothing I bought from the last time I hit this size (which was then called a 6 and is now called a 4, isn't that interesting) for about a minute. For some reason, I ate only grapefruit and tuna for a month or two and lost a ton of weight but I had zero clue what I was doing and as soon as I went back to the way I was eating, well duh, that clothing stopped fitting. After a few years, I got rid of it all. I had money then so it was super nice clothing.

Also, I feel pretty darned poor if I get rid of everything that doesn't fit because that leaves me with only about $300 worth of clothing.

Baby steps, mama! LOL! Go easy on me!

Sorry- didnt mean to be hard on you ;) just thought getting rid of clothes too big would give you the accountability you were looking for.

YES - I do. I wore some capris to church Wednesday night and by the time I got home I could have fit another person in the back end. They are washed and in the give away pile. :)

If it doesnt fit what good will it do you in the closet anyway?

You are 5'11" and a size 4???? I cant imagine you having bulky thighs!!! I am 5' 7" and I could never wear a 4 unless i was very very sick. Just not the body type God made me with. A size 8 (todays) is as small as I need to go before I start to look bad.

That is what I love about when Catherin was talking about playing instead of competing. We are all so different- we all can strive for our own personal best!!! :)

I know ALL about those cravings!!!! uggggggg:p

thebestme 07-18-2010 10:32 PM

I have only been this small that once; I was always a size 8/10/12 and quite happy with that. I just have different ideals now. Partly, it's because of this belly fat that I want gone. And partly, it's just stubborn determination. I have it in my head to be ultra lean and really see what's going on once and for all. I have all these awesome photos of myself at 30. Only, I am no longer impressed. I thought that was my potential. My eyes have been opened. I'm not sure what my potential is but I am not even close. It's exciting, actually.

hal1 07-19-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebestme (Post 127201)
I have only been this small that once; I was always a size 8/10/12 and quite happy with that. I just have different ideals now. Partly, it's because of this belly fat that I want gone. And partly, it's just stubborn determination. I have it in my head to be ultra lean and really see what's going on once and for all. I have all these awesome photos of myself at 30. Only, I am no longer impressed. I thought that was my potential. My eyes have been opened. I'm not sure what my potential is but I am not even close. It's exciting, actually.

It's good that you have so many goals. I have my immediate (today/tomorrow), my next week or the following week, my 1 month, etc. goals. I know we're supposed to put a date on each of our goals and I do my best, but some that I thought were long-term (down the line, 2 mos or more) were realized more quickly and others that I thought would be realized quickly are still in the works. But I'm learning how to gauge better. And I agree w/ your assertion (to paraphrase) that this is only the beginning of what WILL come in our transformations if we keep up the work that we've started here... I am also thinking that I will sign on for the next contest (as my time in this one is almost up - so sad). It really is a great motivator.

thebestme 07-19-2010 03:10 PM

Yeah, nod, nod, already thinking about the next contest! I like being held accountable! I will be creating other challenges and deadlines for myself to keep on track. I don't have specific deadlines attached to goals like you do; that document I've had called "body fat down to 20%" is well over a year old and most of the progress happened in the last few weeks. I figured I was capable of this because a friend lost 100 pounds in 7 months and went right on down to 15% body fat within a year.

Evergreen 07-19-2010 07:56 PM

Yes- I agree- these contests really do help with accountability! :)

thebestme 07-19-2010 09:16 PM

Darn! I totally forgot to take creatine. Somehow, I remembered all the days loading doses this time but have been forgetting to take my pre-workout hit. I took it after. Really not sure if that does anything.

Workout was not good! Weird. Monday is normally awesome for me. Gym was super hot and of course crazy crowded. Did Hot Dudes Buff Chicks and here's how it went, from memory.

Walking lunges - did them with 30s. Had been eating super low calories before so was not pushing myself at all with weights. Was just so focused on fatloss. Am happy to take a break from that for now so I have upped calories and am pushing! So I used 30 pound dumbbells and I am having so much trouble holding on to the darned things. I really must get straps or perhaps consider a barbell across my shoulders? But it's awkward enough on a Monday to find a space do do these. I hope my grip strength just catches up with my leg strength.
Superset with ab pike.

Bulgarian split squat. Used 30/35 (by mistake)/30. The 35s were my husband and I didn't realize I'd grabbed them until he wanted them back. Boy, were those hard to hold onto. I was really struggling to keep a grip.
I forget what this paired with.

One legged calf raises. I was using 2 30s but I simply cannot balance so by the 3rd set, I just used on. I need to up the weight but how? I guess the old barbell on the shoulders would work. Or perhaps for these I could just go higher rep or be happy sticking at 30.
I forget what these were paired with as well!

Last superset was on floor. Ab rollouts, I believe, and cross body mountain climbers? Anyway, it was awful. I am so light headed every time I get up so I wound up just sitting there. I am thinking I need to really start adding salt into my diet. My blood pressure as of a few weeks ago was low (it's always low) but not dangerously so. I am realizing I have been eating nearly all single ingredient foods (fruits, veggies, meat, raw nuts) and I just am not adding much salt. I am going to have to make a serious effort to get more salt into my diet. I did the intervals and did okay, not awesome or anything, and my husband took one look at me and went and got the car. Yikes. Really? I need to be picked up in the handicapped spot? LOL! That just can't be right.

It's not the first time I've had this head rush thing. It has always happened when I'm lean, so the first time was when I was a teenager and became a vegetarian and strangers came up to me and lectured me on anorexia (for the record, I never was, but boy was I thin). It's getting to be an issue again now. I sure hope the salt helps. All the info I found online said "get up slowly" but I'm pretty hyper and tend to jump up.

Evergreen 07-20-2010 07:07 AM

Naomi- from what I have read once loading is over it does not matter as much when you take creatine -maybe because it is stored?

Are you noticing anything different with the creatine? Did you gain the first week?

Sorry you did not feel well- do you think it could be blood sugar issues? I have to eat a little something before I work out or I go through a similar type eppisode -especially if I am lifting heavy....

Hope you feel better today!!!!

thebestme 07-20-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evergreen (Post 127264)
Naomi- from what I have read once loading is over it does not matter as much when you take creatine -maybe because it is stored?

Are you noticing anything different with the creatine? Did you gain the first week?

Sorry you did not feel well- do you think it could be blood sugar issues? I have to eat a little something before I work out or I go through a similar type eppisode -especially if I am lifting heavy....

Hope you feel better today!!!!

I upped calories when I started creatine so I would have more energy to lift harder. Weight is about the same. Up a pound but I normally gain much more during my period so I'm not sure I've actually gained, if you see what I mean. It may whoosh off in another few days. I am not noticing anything. I increased weights but I knew I could do that. I just wasn't trying before.

It's not blood sugar and today was worse. Had almonds and strawberries for breakfast. The other change is I dropped ALL grains and dairy except butter. Normally, I would have had Greek yogurt as well. I am not sure this is working for me. I nearly fainted in Zumba this morning a few times. Yes it's hot and I've felt faint before but today I had to go sit for few. It was not fun. Part of it is being so darned tall and having low blood pressure, but there is something going on all of the sudden. This is too much. I ate eggs and sausage and spinach and I still feel quite weak.

coastalveg 07-20-2010 12:33 PM

Naomi I'm sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I wish you all the best! And I'm glad that you are listening to your body and trying new things:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebestme (Post 127287)
I upped calories when I started creatine so I would have more energy to lift harder. Weight is about the same. Up a pound but I normally gain much more during my period so I'm not sure I've actually gained, if you see what I mean. It may whoosh off in another few days. I am not noticing anything. I increased weights but I knew I could do that. I just wasn't trying before.

It's not blood sugar and today was worse. Had almonds and strawberries for breakfast. The other change is I dropped ALL grains and dairy except butter. Normally, I would have had Greek yogurt as well. I am not sure this is working for me. I nearly fainted in Zumba this morning a few times. Yes it's hot and I've felt faint before but today I had to go sit for few. It was not fun. Part of it is being so darned tall and having low blood pressure, but there is something going on all of the sudden. This is too much. I ate eggs and sausage and spinach and I still feel quite weak.

thebestme 07-20-2010 08:18 PM

I heard someone at my daughter's gymnastics going on about nutrition and I was liking what she had to say. I think I saved the person who she perhaps had cornered because the moment I finally interrupted, the other mom made her escape. ;) I could talk about this stuff all day. So anyway, long story short, she suggest 1 tsp daily of Redmond's sea salt since I am eating no processed food. I am just shaking some salt and some of it was white sea salt. She explained that the white has been bleached and is devoid of nutrients. Darn. I accidentally ordered a life supply of that once. I went straight out and got the salt and a small shaker I can keep in my purse.

I had also checked my blood pressure at the gym after my workout and she agreed it was pretty low for a post workout reading. I hate that the machine just says "under 120" is good. Sometimes too low is, well, too low! So I'll be glad to get that pressure up a bit.

Evergreen 07-20-2010 09:00 PM

I LOVE Redmond's Sea Salt- it is all I use. :)

Evergreen 07-21-2010 08:46 AM

[quote=Evergreen;127264]Naomi- from what I have read once loading is over it does not matter as much when you take creatine -maybe because it is stored?
[quote]

I just read this:

WHEN TO SUPPLEMENT: I recommend that you take your creatine as soon as possible after exercising. Immediately following exercise your muscles are most receptive to the anabolic (muscle-building) effects of insulin. Exercise also has other hormonal consequences that you should know how to fully utilize in order to maximize muscle growth. How to create a favorable hormonal environment for muscle growth by intelligently combining creatine supplementation with other nutritional strategies is clearly detailed in my creatine guide.

Was looking because the creatine really nauseates me and I am not getting a good workout in causeI feel sick :( so I am goign to take after my WO starting tomorrow.

thebestme 07-21-2010 09:34 PM

Melody, thanks for the tips on the creatine. I am going to play around but I've decided to just drop it for now. What with head rushes, I don't want any extra variables. I'll definitely try it again when I am ready to take bulking more seriously!

I have not really fully registered that my husband has been getting weaker, not hitting his workouts full on, and skipping the intervals. Sure enough, tonight I was 3 sets ahead of him by the end. That's not normal. So, I'm thinking he gets the same medicine as I do: a spoonful of salt water. I have no idea how long it takes to work but I felt fine today.

So on to my workout.
For the pullups, I'm doing my best but man, even on a Wednesday, it's difficult to get to that darned thing. I let some people work in so I dropped one of the warmup sets. For the superset with dumbbell bench press, I did 35s with a spot. Because my shoulder is not fully healed, I am not doing full range of motion at the bottom. I might do some barbell bench soon and see if that's easier on my shoulder. Anyway, the 35s felt good!

Row - 20s. Incline db press: 30s. Again, a bit wary to do that without a spot or I'd be much lower in weight.

Did 20 on the 1 arm shoulder press. I like those a lot. That's totally new to me. 30s on the shrugs because the 35s were MIA.

20 on the curls. Decline pushups was 7, 8, 10 but not going all the way down.

Intervals were not great. I haven't run for intervals in a bit so I thought I'd be strong but I only hit 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 7.5 mph on the intervals. The last one about did me in and I was thinking there was one more so boy was I glad when that was it. I use the gymboss app on the iPhone. I don't know how the real gymboss is, but with the app, you can't tell where you are in all the intervals, just within the current interval. That can be very frustrating. I haven't found a better free app though, so oh well!

I'm listening to running music I downloaded - all podcasts. It's often got a good solid beat that helps keeps me moving. The music helps me a ton on the HIIT workout. Other than that, I'm listening to spoken podcasts these days. Craig, of course, and The FitCast, and I just downloaded Leigh Peele (haven't listened yet but she's on The FitCast so should be excellent.)

Not at all happy that I'm done with the contest in a few days because I still have what I hope is just period bloat. This is cutting it fine. Usually, that extra weight hangs out for a about a week and then it's gone. I've got a few more days. :eek:

momof4 07-21-2010 10:00 PM

I hear you on the period bloat.:( Mine is the same way, and I will have it just in time to weigh in at the end of my 12 weeks, also. So, I feel for you.

I have a gymboss, and it does tell you which interval you are on. There's a small number to the left of the times. It's awesome. Wow! You're almost done. I still have a month.