TT Members Forum

TT Members Forum (http://forum.ttmembers.com/index.php)
-   19th Transformation Contest (http://forum.ttmembers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   forever refining the recipe of "me" (http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=12930)

hal1 01-12-2014 09:10 PM

forever refining the recipe of "me"

I am an oldie around these forums, and have been away from posting or regularly visiting for awhile. I am finding that I once again need the structure that these forums offer to get myself back to where I'd like to be. I've started by subscribing to a few threads in the contest, which I am finding to be very useful and motivating and it helps to get me on here at least every few days. I am not the best blogger, but I do take away a lot from other people, so I will definitely be reading even if I am not posting.

My goals are to find a way - ideally once and for all - to find a way to eat that I can sustain. I am not unusual in that when I let the junk in, it slowly creeps in until I feel the need to feed the addiction. I have succeeded since Thanksgiving in finding a way to eat that seems to be working; I let a little too much junk creep in over Christmas but have backed off again. I have seen the # on the scale fall since Christmas. I need to make sure I find a way to let the junk in so I can enjoy it, but not let it creep in to larger amounts. This is my downfall. I will write more about what I have been doing with nutrition some other time as I've tried many things.

I've been maintaining in a 6 - 7 lb range, one that I've come to accept even though it's not my target range. So my goal is to get back to the bottom of that range and then to drop even lower. While weight is a goal of a sort, I am more concerned with body shape but I know that if I get down in weight, the fat will come off and the shape will be right if I am working out.

I will continue to do workouts, and plan 3 per week with some off-day shorter workouts. I missed some workouts in the fall due to kids' schedules and I just knowingly let them go. I have been better since December and will need to plan better once the activities are again in full swing. I got some roller skates for Christmas so the boys and I will have some fun there. My son is also teaching me his hip-hop and clogging so I do that with him here and there for "off day" activity. For my main workouts, I am enjoying HW Revolution, so will stick with that for the time-being.

I am finding that's Craig's suggestion of keeping a journal on what you are thankful for to be very helpful, and it has a major positive effect on my day to day since I've started it. Craig is truly a great mentor in so many ways.

I officially started last Monday, January 6th. That was the first day since the 31st (my planned start date) that I was able to align all the stars (newspaper, camera, and cameraman) in order to get going. I'll post pics later when I get them off the camera and re-sized. My husband took pics, too, so he is at least along for the ride.

I look forward to following everyone's success!

LeslieM 01-13-2014 09:18 AM

Hey There!

Hi Heather! I'm new here. I started the contest last Friday so I've only done one workout so far. I am loving the discipline of coming here each morning to post a few things from my journal. I'm just focusing on spirit,mind and body. It's an abbreviated version of what I'm writing in my home journal as to not bore everyone! For spirit, I wrote what I'm thankful for. Mind is something I've learned from life or a book I'm reading.(One of my goals was to read 6 good books during the contest)It might also be some action I've taken toward a HUGE goal for me which is to go back to school. I've always been interested in health/nutrition/fitness and might get a degree in something like that. For body, I want to post how I'm feeling from the day before, how I think my workout went, how my diet is going. I have a separate workout/food log where it's more detailed. That's exciting that you got roller skates for Christmas! My kids were all rollerbladers. I can roller blade, but not like a kid. Well..I took them roller skating. I said,"Let Momma show you whippersnappers how it was done back in the good ole' 1980's!" They were pretty impressed with my mean rollerskating skills. It was so fun. I didn't know you could follow certain threads. I'll have to figure that out. It's nice to "meet" you and I hope you reach all of your goals! Leslie

Craig Ballantyne 01-13-2014 09:41 AM

Awesome Heather, glad the journaling is helping. It's one of my favorite daily activities.

hal1 01-13-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeslieM (Post 183963)
I am loving the discipline of coming here each morning to post a few things from my journal. I'm just focusing on spirit,mind and body. It's an abbreviated version of what I'm writing in my home journal as to not bore everyone! For spirit, I wrote what I'm thankful for. Mind is something I've learned from life or a book I'm reading.(One of my goals was to read 6 good books during the contest)It might also be some action I've taken toward a HUGE goal for me which is to go back to school. I've always been interested in health/nutrition/fitness and might get a degree in something like that. For body, I want to post how I'm feeling from the day before, how I think my workout went, how my diet is going.

Thanks for dropping by, Leslie - those are some neat things you're doing for yourself, and I can truly imagine the positive impact they will have on your overall well-being.

hal1 01-13-2014 08:53 PM

Hey everyone! So far, so good as I have finished week 1. I'll take some measurements tomorrow morning (I forgot this a.m.) and see how I'm doing there. I can feel a difference in clothing that I tried on just a week and a half ago, so I'm pleased. I can see some differences, too. Yay!

In past contests I have used ESE and have really liked doing it, but I go through times between contests when it's too much of a challenge to do it (or I overeat after doing it). So while I may become motivated to sneak it in here and there during these 12 weeks, I don't have the motivation to do it regularly at the moment. Thus, I do need to see if I can eat my way back to where I want to be, and then eat to maintain without using ESE as a crutch. The benefits of ESE I do not doubt as I have seen them, but for the times I am not motivated to do ESE or if I feel it is hindering my progress, I need to have a way to eat that doesn't cause me to back-slide.

For the moment, I am focusing on some simple things: ample protein (eggs) plus fruit, veggies in the morning, but not too early as I find I am just hungry again too soon. I have found lately that eating "breakfast" around 9 - 10:30 seems to work. I then will shoot for a salad for lunch with some included protein and some fruit and/or greek yogurt. If I have any kind of small junk item, I've been consuming it in the daylight afternoon hours and limiting the portion. Salty/sweet combo seems to hit the spot so I am quickly satisfied with the small portion. Then for dinner I eat a protein and vegetable; we've been eating a lot of rice these days (from my Hawaii upbringing). I generally don't eat bread or pasta or crackers or cereal any other similar items. I eat a lot of nuts, fruits, vegetables, eggs and I do eat some cheese just about every day.

An article I read (in The Scientist - I am a scientist) - indicated that we are programmed to eat according to the earth's rotation, much like our sleep-wake cycle is tied into the earth, so is our body's handling of food. It makes sense in so many ways, and the genetic research they've done supports this notion. So research indicates that eating in the dark hours is detrimental as our body doesn't respond well to the nutrients at night and that our organ systems are better primed to handle nutrients consumed during the day (thus the difficulties of shift work is compounded even more). So for my purpose I decided to focus on limiting my eating to the daylight hours; dinner sometimes gets into the dark hours as it is winter, but then that is my last meal and I don't eat again. Somehow when I make my focus "don't snack at night" it doesn't work but when I make my focus "be in sync with biorhythms" my mind follows suit. Go figure! So while I'm not sure how well this would work if it were summer with all the light (increased desire to eat?), but for the moment it's worth a shot! :D

hal1 01-13-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Ballantyne (Post 183964)
Awesome Heather, glad the journaling is helping. It's one of my favorite daily activities.

Yes, it's awesome!

PeterJankowski 01-13-2014 10:51 PM

Good to have you back around.

I think I picked up as resident post whore about when you slowed down with the posting activity.

hal1 01-14-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterJankowski (Post 184008)
I think I picked up as resident post whore about when you slowed down with the posting activity.

Lol! Yeah; pretty obvious, isn't it? Life events steered me away, but hopefully starting this thread will keep me coming back for awhile!

LeslieM 01-14-2014 10:23 PM

What!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterJankowski (Post 184008)
Good to have you back around.

Oh for the love of...I have a new goal. Just kidding. If any of you ever call me a post whore, I'll take my dumbbells and go home!!

hal1 01-15-2014 08:55 PM

Sick kids are no fun. We traded our younger sick child who was in the hospital for 2 days and then out of school for the next three (this happened last week) with our older child who then proceeded to get sick (different illness) on this past Sunday and has been sick now for 4 days. He will again be staying home tomorrow due to the fever that has yet to break.

Given this craziness, my choice tonight was no workout, or 6 minute workout. Thankfully I made the choice of a 6 minute workout. Eating was spot-on today with no sweets so at least the parts of my life that I can control are under my control at the moment! Thank goodness!

PeterJankowski 01-15-2014 09:24 PM

Kids are annoying at the best of times. lol. But sick ones are the worst.

Speaking of children my daughter (Lili) woke screaming at 2am this morning due to a nightmare. But then we couldn't find her little toy dog "Spotty" and ended having to turn the place upside down, including going out to check the car to find him. In the end he was actually tangled up in her sheets! By this time though we were all wide awake and I never got back to sleep.

That 5am alarm this morning sure did suck. Lili didn't hear a thing. Bless her.

Mike Whitfield 01-16-2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterJankowski (Post 184132)

Speaking of children my daughter (Lili) woke screaming at 2am this morning due to a nightmare. But then we couldn't find her little toy dog "Spotty" and ended having to turn the place upside down, including going out to check the car to find him. In the end he was actually tangled up in her sheets! By this time though we were all wide awake and I never got back to sleep.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Champ will sometimes ask for this tiny blanket with a face of an elephant attached to it. We named him "Wilbert" (don't ask... it came from nowhere). If it's not in the bed with him, he won't go to sleep. Ha!

PeterJankowski 01-16-2014 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Whitfield (Post 184153)
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Champ will sometimes ask for this tiny blanket with a face of an elephant attached to it. We named him "Wilbert" (don't ask... it came from nowhere). If it's not in the bed with him, he won't go to sleep. Ha!

It's common. What's wrong with the name Wilbert?

Lili isn't very imaginative with her naming:

Spotty is a small dalmatian
Dolphy is a dolphin
Kitty is a Cat
Pengwee is a penguin

You get the idea.... ha! But spotty is the one! We lose him we are in trouble.

hal1 01-16-2014 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterJankowski (Post 184183)
It's common. What's wrong with the name Wilbert?

Lili isn't very imaginative with her naming:

Spotty is a small dalmatian
Dolphy is a dolphin
Kitty is a Cat
Pengwee is a penguin

You get the idea.... ha! But spotty is the one! We lose him we are in trouble.

My kids are generally not very original, either...here are a few of their stuffed animal names...
baby giraffe-ey (smallest giraffe)
little giraffe (medium sized giraffe)
Jaja (the large giraffe)
little brownie (a small brown dog)
little puppy (another small orange dog)
big Kaga (a large dog)
little "May bear" (a bear that says "May" on it)

Oddly enough, my now 8-year-old named "Kaga" and "Jaja" when he was 3 years old. Everything else since has been very unimaginative and tends to have size descriptors in the name!

The whole animal thing...they each have dozens of stuffed animals on the bed, but yep, there are always the "necessary" ones...it changes here and there...right now it's "May bear" for the 8-year-old and some unnamed bear he got in the hospital (any guesses on the would-be name?) is currently a requisite for the 5-year-old. Otherwise, bedtime is a nightmare for everyone!

Lookin' like Damien (8-yr-old) will be home again tomorrow. Back to the homework trudge of trying to get him caught-up (somewhat). It's already been a tired sort-of-day, so not looking forward to doing 3rd grade school work this evening. ;)

hal1 01-17-2014 08:49 PM

Off-day today. Breakfast @ 6:00 = over easy eggs w/ mixed in dried plums, tomatoes, red peppers, a slice of brie cheese and pesto - my "concoction" that I love. Iced coffee w/ some cream (self-made) mid-morning, salad w/ some shredded chicken for lunch @ 11:00 am; dinner @ 6 pm of steak, salad and a baked potato (the splurge - don't eat these ever) - out to eat at a steakhouse.

Had to "present" at a faculty meeting today. I can talk in front of students all day but don't like too much speaking in front of my colleagues. I am so thankful that I learned how to do EFT tapping this past summer. It is an amazing technique that I use in stressful events, when I have muscle aches or headaches, and when I need to gain some focus. I have used it enough that I mentally "tap" sometimes and this I did in the meeting today, when it was almost my turn to speak. My heart rate started to elevate and I could feel my heart pounding, so I mentally "tapped" and within a few minutes, I was calm. Amazing stuff!

Work out will be done tomorrow morning before kiddos are up and getting ready for basketball games. My oldest boy is finally feeling himself and I am so happy for that! No more sick kids (for the year)!

We are exchanging one set of company tomorrow for a different visitor. My in-laws are leaving tomorrow from an extended trip - they were supposed to leave on the 6th but stayed when Dominic ended up in the hospital with meningitis and they stayed while he was home recuperating afterward. Then they stayed this past week since Damien ended up sick with strep throat and home all week. They leave tomorrow and then my Mom comes into town for a few days to visit, which will be nice. We haven't seen her since early November. The two parent sets will overlap for about two hours tomorrow at the kids' basketball games.

Should be a fun weekend and with healthy kids we will all finally get to try out our new roller skates!

I hope everyone else has a nice weekend, too!

pageboy9 01-18-2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hal1 (Post 183996)
Hey everyone! So far, so good as I have finished week 1. I'll take some measurements tomorrow morning (I forgot this a.m.) and see how I'm doing there. I can feel a difference in clothing that I tried on just a week and a half ago, so I'm pleased. I can see some differences, too. Yay!

In past contests I have used ESE and have really liked doing it, but I go through times between contests when it's too much of a challenge to do it (or I overeat after doing it). So while I may become motivated to sneak it in here and there during these 12 weeks, I don't have the motivation to do it regularly at the moment. Thus, I do need to see if I can eat my way back to where I want to be, and then eat to maintain without using ESE as a crutch. The benefits of ESE I do not doubt as I have seen them, but for the times I am not motivated to do ESE or if I feel it is hindering my progress, I need to have a way to eat that doesn't cause me to back-slide.

For the moment, I am focusing on some simple things: ample protein (eggs) plus fruit, veggies in the morning, but not too early as I find I am just hungry again too soon. I have found lately that eating "breakfast" around 9 - 10:30 seems to work. I then will shoot for a salad for lunch with some included protein and some fruit and/or greek yogurt. If I have any kind of small junk item, I've been consuming it in the daylight afternoon hours and limiting the portion. Salty/sweet combo seems to hit the spot so I am quickly satisfied with the small portion. Then for dinner I eat a protein and vegetable; we've been eating a lot of rice these days (from my Hawaii upbringing). I generally don't eat bread or pasta or crackers or cereal any other similar items. I eat a lot of nuts, fruits, vegetables, eggs and I do eat some cheese just about every day.

An article I read (in The Scientist - I am a scientist) - indicated that we are programmed to eat according to the earth's rotation, much like our sleep-wake cycle is tied into the earth, so is our body's handling of food. It makes sense in so many ways, and the genetic research they've done supports this notion. So research indicates that eating in the dark hours is detrimental as our body doesn't respond well to the nutrients at night and that our organ systems are better primed to handle nutrients consumed during the day (thus the difficulties of shift work is compounded even more). So for my purpose I decided to focus on limiting my eating to the daylight hours; dinner sometimes gets into the dark hours as it is winter, but then that is my last meal and I don't eat again. Somehow when I make my focus "don't snack at night" it doesn't work but when I make my focus "be in sync with biorhythms" my mind follows suit. Go figure! So while I'm not sure how well this would work if it were summer with all the light (increased desire to eat?), but for the moment it's worth a shot! :D

Thank you for the insight on "Dark Hours" and eating. I totally agree from my experience that keeping my eating in the daylight hours makes me feel great. I no longer do 24 hour fasts as I have trouble with overeating when I come off of them, but I've been getting results by not eating after my evening classes. So good to have you back in the forums by the way.

hal1 01-20-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pageboy9 (Post 184249)
Thank you for the insight on "Dark Hours" and eating. I totally agree from my experience that keeping my eating in the daylight hours makes me feel great. I no longer do 24 hour fasts as I have trouble with overeating when I come off of them, but I've been getting results by not eating after my evening classes.

I did find it very insightful to learn about the link between "good" eating habits and the light/dark cycle, so I'm glad it helped you to explain what is successful for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pageboy9 (Post 184249)
So good to have you back in the forums by the way.

Thanks - I'm glad to be back. It was one of those things where I was able to be successful on my own, without the forums for awhile and life at the time was very hectic so posting wasn't able to be a priority. However, in my absence I began to struggle more and came to realize that the forums were the extra support I needed.

hal1 01-20-2014 06:42 PM

A good, long weekend. Right now is the first time since the 31st that we have the house to ourselves (husband, kids and I). The visits were good and the visitors were very helpful, especially when the kids were sick. I will, however, welcome life with just us again, too.

I did get some time yesterday to break in my new roller skates! My 5-year-old got roller skates with larger back wheels, so he is doing well balancing on those. My 8-year-old is cruising around on his new skates, but I'm telling you if I had the stance that he has my legs would be sooo sore (very wide-legged stance going on there)!

Speaking of sore, I did two workouts this weekend from the 8-Week Accelerator Workouts and did the finisher for each. The first I did on Saturday and it was an ab workout - didn't feel it at the time, but felt it yesterday and today. We'll see what I feel tomorrow from the workout I did today.

Measurements are still dropping - yay! - although scale isn't really moving, but that's okay. Nutrition is great, even though we went out to eat on Friday and Saturday nights with different visitors, veggies and protein were the ticket. I've also figured out my treat that seems to work. Thankfully, I'm eating it not every day, so that's good, too. I eat a few honey-wheat pretzel sticks (4 of them) and 16 york peppermint pieces (they're sort of like mint M&Ms). Yes, I count this all out. It gives me the salty-sweet that I like. If I do eat it, it's an afternoon quick treat. I had this today.

Thanks to whomever mentioned the grilled veggies - I did these tonight with fish and rice for dinner. Broccoli, carrots, onions and mushrooms in olive oil followed by a "finish" with a quick mix of basil, lemon juice, pepper and parmesan cheese on the veggies when they came out of the oven. Yummy!

LeslieM 01-20-2014 07:26 PM

Nice Work!!

I'm an introvert. I love my family and I love my friends, but when they all go home I have to lock myself away for a while or go for a walk by myself to recover from all the talking! You are making me want roller skates. There was a guy in Virginia(where we lived before) that would suit up in full on 70's gear(booty shorts, sweatband) and skate his little heart out in the Shell gas station parking lot. He was hysterical. I probably would be okay if I passed on the booty shorts and made sure my kids were with me! I'm doing a little friendly get healthy contest with some of my friends on facebook. We have to log minutes of exercise and get points for more minutes. They are all pretty discouraged because the scale is not moving and the inches are not budging. I'm actually going to lose the contest because I'm not exercising long enough. I did post on the page today though.."Pounds and inches have left the building!" After we're done(early Feb.), I'll be nice and share my new secret weapon! I hope you have a great week and everyone stays healthy! Leslie

sbgal 01-20-2014 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterJankowski (Post 184132)

One day you too will miss this, I PROMISE. I used to think I'd never get past the little kids being, well, little. Now my oldest has a baby of her own and my middle is a Marine and I only have the baby left and he's 6'4". I miss the middle of the night scramble for the stuffed animal or the blanket (don't lose the blanket) and one of my kids HAD TO HAVE this one particular jacket, all the time. We lost the jacket...no really lost it. I miss it all...sometimes LOL.. It's great to be the grandma though. When I'm done I just hand him back hehehe

sbgal 01-20-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hal1 (Post 184381)
Measurements are still dropping - yay! - although scale isn't really moving, but that's okay. Nutrition is great, even though we went out to eat on Friday and Saturday nights with different visitors, veggies and protein were the ticket. I've also figured out my treat that seems to work. Thankfully, I'm eating it not every day, so that's good, too. I eat a few honey-wheat pretzel sticks (4 of them) and 16 york peppermint pieces (they're sort of like mint M&Ms). Yes, I count this all out. It gives me the salty-sweet that I like. If I do eat it, it's an afternoon quick treat. I had this today.
!

I can finally eyeball what 18 chocolate chips look like without counting, it's a talent lol.
I count quite a bit of my food and measure when I need to drop the tonnage otherwise I ALWAYS overestimate.

mocombes 01-21-2014 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hal1 (Post 184130)
Sick kids are no fun. We traded our younger sick child who was in the hospital for 2 days and then out of school for the next three (this happened last week) with our older child who then proceeded to get sick (different illness) on this past Sunday and has been sick now for 4 days. He will again be staying home tomorrow due to the fever that has yet to break.

Given this craziness, my choice tonight was no workout, or 6 minute workout. Thankfully I made the choice of a 6 minute workout. Eating was spot-on today with no sweets so at least the parts of my life that I can control are under my control at the moment! Thank goodness!

Oh, my! And I thought I had problems when my son called me from the skate park with a concussion last week and threw off my workout...

No worries, he's okay :)

LJShona 01-21-2014 03:43 AM

Hi Heather. Thanks for stopping by my thread and saying hello. I've been keeping up with your posts - you have had a few challenges with sick kids. Hoping that is ALL behind you now.

Nicely done on the measurements dropping. I ignore the scales. It can go up and it can go down ... whatever! It's the measurements that count.

The roast veggie ideas are fantastic. I can't wait to give them a whirl on the weekend.

Look forward to keeping up with your progress. Chat again soon.

hal1 01-21-2014 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mocombes (Post 184408)
Oh, my! And I thought I had problems when my son called me from the skate park with a concussion last week and threw off my workout...

No worries, he's okay :)

That's a relief. A concussion is no small matter, so I'm glad he's okay!

hal1 01-21-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbgal (Post 184392)
I can finally eyeball what 18 chocolate chips look like without counting, it's a talent lol.
I count quite a bit of my food and measure when I need to drop the tonnage otherwise I ALWAYS overestimate.

Overestimating is quite easy, isn't it? Thankfully, these days (read: TODAY) I am trading in the sweet junk for fruits. I've had quite a bit of fruit today! :p

hal1 01-21-2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJShona (Post 184410)
Hi Heather. Thanks for stopping by my thread and saying hello. I've been keeping up with your posts - you have had a few challenges with sick kids. Hoping that is ALL behind you now.

Nicely done on the measurements dropping. I ignore the scales. It can go up and it can go down ... whatever! It's the measurements that count.

The roast veggie ideas are fantastic. I can't wait to give them a whirl on the weekend.

Look forward to keeping up with your progress. Chat again soon.

Thanks, Shona - yes, I am truly hoping that I have healthy kids for the rest of the year! :) And healthy me and healthy spouse, too - we've had enough illness for quite some time!

Yes, truly glad about the measurements dropping. Just finished week 2 and my measurements are at least more in-line with where they were early in the fall, which isn't at my best but it is much better than just a few weeks ago. Weight is a weird thing, anyway. Not a reliable indicator of what's happening inside. For instance, I am again sore today from yesterday's workout -another one of the 8-week accelerator workouts plus finishers, but this one I can feel in my shoulders (good ache, not bad pain), lats, back, and still feeling some soreness in my abs. So I can guess that I am building back muscle and that of course will be adding lean mass. I sometimes dwell on the scale too much, but this time I am taking it in stride. Yes, I know that it will ultimately go down when I am getting closer to my goal shape, but measurements are all I need at the moment (and looser clothing).

hal1 01-22-2014 11:25 AM

An unexpected snow/ice day for everyone in the family today. We already were out playing in the snow for 90 minutes. Not wet enough to build or make very good snow balls, so snow angels, tackling and weak snowballs were the order of the morning until toes and fingers were hurting from the cold.

I will be doing another metabolic accelerator workout today and plan to do the finisher to go with it. These have all been great workouts so I'm sure this one will be, too!

hal1 01-22-2014 10:37 PM

Good day today - workout done as planned, ate at 11 am and at 6:30 pm (and not hungry in between). Ate protein, many veggies and a wee bit of rice. Probably didn't drink enough water since I drink more when I am at work and was home today; trying to make up for it this evening. It was a nice day spent at home with the kids and husband, playing in the snow and reading books. Time for bed now!

hal1 01-23-2014 09:32 PM

Today was similar to yesterday except 2 hour delay instead of closings. The beauty of coastal-piedmont N. Carolina is limited ability to deal with snow or ice. So it was a nice morning to spend time with the kids before school. Today was an off-day and today that apparently meant taking it easy as I did nothing that could be construed as exercise. Meals today were lunch after ~17 hr fast (not planned, just not hungry before this) @ 11:30 - salmon, salad, fresh pineapple; small handfull of pistachios and honey dew/cantelope for an afternoon snack @ 3:30; dinner of pork, grilled veggies and rice @ 7:00; serving of sugarless iced tea after dinner. Lots of water today! Tomorrow is an off-day but I will do some type of quick workout for sure.

sbgal 01-24-2014 12:07 AM

Sounds like a fun couple of days. It's not supposed to get snowy and icy in NC ;)

LeslieM 01-24-2014 08:46 AM

Blizzard of 14!

Our schools are all delayed here because we a have a wintry mix. Its 32 degress!! That was spring when we lived in Minnesota. People are freaking out. In their defense, we were wearing flip flops 3 days ago! Thankfully it's my TT day so I don't have to worry about getting lost in a snow bank by going for a walk! I might try it anyway and show off my winter walking skills. Ice Ice Baby!

hal1 01-24-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbgal (Post 184557)
Sounds like a fun couple of days. It's not supposed to get snowy and icy in NC ;)

That's what I thought when I moved here 11 years ago! :p

hal1 01-24-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeslieM (Post 184561)
Our schools are all delayed here because we a have a wintry mix. Its 32 degress!! That was spring when we lived in Minnesota. People are freaking out. In their defense, we were wearing flip flops 3 days ago! Thankfully it's my TT day so I don't have to worry about getting lost in a snow bank by going for a walk! I might try it anyway and show off my winter walking skills. Ice Ice Baby!

I don't know about flip-flops. You're lucky it's 32 degrees...today's high here in NC is supposed to be 26! What?? The record "low high" (does that even make sense...that's what the weatherman said today) is 28, so we may be breaking a record today! Now I've got that crazy song running through my head...as if I need another distraction today!! :)

I'm having a restless day. I think it's the crazy week I've had w/ the holiday, then closings and delays on W/Th, and then trying to get back into the groove of teaching and grading this new semester. I'm grading some stuff now at home and it's taking a LOOOONG time to do it...hence the restlessness!

Thankfully, I've not reached for food to fill the restlessness. I've made myself a pact this semester: no eating while doing work; stop working to eat. It's actually *working* well! So I've had my lunch of my egg-veggie concoction w/ pesto and brie, my quick cheat snack (haven't had one in several days) of 3 spoonfuls of chocolate-peanut butter gelato (YUM!) and some iced coffee (ironic with the temps outside, but the only kind I will drink) w/ sparing amounts of cream. My husband has ever so kindly recently pointed out that cream is high in calories and while I think I use it sparingly already when I do drink coffee (which I don't do everyday!), I figured I could be sure to use it even more sparingly...so much so that I barely even noticed it was present today.

If I can't calm down after this post, I'll be doing some EFT tapping and perhaps a quick (short) workout or warm up session to refocus my energy. I hope everyone else is a little more focused today than I!

hal1 01-24-2014 08:35 PM

Happy to report that I was able to gain some focus after my last post so I was able to get some work done. Thank goodness! Dinner was around 6:30 p.m., so it appears I had about an 8-hr "feeding window" today (no, not eating constantly!). Still sticking with my no eating after dark and I am happy for that. The IF that I appear to be doing is not actually a part of my plan, instead I just find that I'm not hungry in the morning these days so I am not eating until I find myself to be hungry, which tends towards the 10:30-11-11:30 a.m. time of the day.

I do need to back off on the measurement quest. I am able to take the scale mostly in stride, but I get tape-measure-happy (or sad) sometimes, especially if I start to think I am seeing changes. I've taken my measurements about 3 times this week - becoming obsessive, I think! So I will reaffirm my original plan which is to take them only 1x/week, at the end of the week. However, I think I will skip this next measurement since it's only in a few days and I need to stop this before it becomes an annoying habit!:rolleyes:

LeslieM 01-24-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hal1 (Post 184598)
Happy to report that I was able to gain some focus after my last post so I was able to get some work done. Thank goodness! Dinner was around 6:30 p.m., so it appears I had about an 8-hr "feeding window" today (no, not eating constantly!). Still sticking with my no eating after dark and I am happy for that. The IF that I appear to be doing is not actually a part of my plan, instead I just find that I'm not hungry in the morning these days so I am not eating until I find myself to be hungry, which tends towards the 10:30-11-11:30 a.m. time of the day.

I do need to back off on the measurement quest. I am able to take the scale mostly in stride, but I get tape-measure-happy (or sad) sometimes, especially if I start to think I am seeing changes. I've taken my measurements about 3 times this week - becoming obsessive, I think! So I will reaffirm my original plan which is to take them only 1x/week, at the end of the week. However, I think I will skip this next measurement since it's only in a few days and I need to stop this before it becomes an annoying habit!:rolleyes:

I'm glad you got some work done. I seem to specialize in annoying habits!!

LJShona 01-25-2014 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeslieM (Post 184561)

Guess what song is now stuck in my head!

Heather, I really like your personal rule of no eating when working. It makes it simple then - you don't even need to have the conversation with yourself. I had black coffee today since I'm fasting. Kind of enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Love my coffee with cream though. Mmmmm.

hal1 01-25-2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJShona (Post 184608)
Guess what song is now stuck in my head!

Heather, I really like your personal rule of no eating when working. It makes it simple then - you don't even need to have the conversation with yourself. I had black coffee today since I'm fasting. Kind of enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Love my coffee with cream though. Mmmmm.

Thanks Shona - it does just seem easier! I am toying now with the idea of again doing a 24 hr fast here and there. But I want to wait until the end of wk 3 (coming up soon) or wk 4 so I am confident in my ability to make wise food choices and comfortable with the eating pattern that I have established when not relying on 24-hr fasts. Whenever I do start these again, I will need to make sure to not over-do it. If I add them back, I may schedule them for "on" times and "off" times so I don't get burnt out. Maybe pick 2 wks/ month where I do fasts and 2 wks where I don't (or something like that).

Today I decided to eat a little earlier than I have been. So I had a quick cottage cheese, fruit and protein powder at 8:00 before we headed out to basketball games. Around noon I had a fried (and breaded) chicken breast, which was a "splurge" of a sort. I ate it with salad and a bowl of fruit.

This afternoon I did a workout from the 8-wk accelerators again. This workout was a body weight workout followed by a plank/DB swings finisher. I liked this finisher. I could feel the decline pushups from the BW workout in my delts - guessing they'll be sore later.

I need to make sure I get enough water today, given that it is a weekend and I tend to come up short on weekends!

LJShona 01-26-2014 02:15 AM

I am the same on the weekend water intake - at work I mentally tick off my water intake, whereas weekends aren't scheduled so I slack. Something to be more conscious of, I guess.

Fasting is an interesting experiment. The whole idea horrified me when I first considered it (and that was only a 16 hour version!). I made it through 38-hours. Just.

Have a great rest of your weekend.

hal1 01-26-2014 02:34 PM

I continued my splurge last night with 2 pieces of pizza (veggie/meat) but with a salad accompaniment. I've decided to do a fast tomorrow (ESE style) as Mondays are extremely busy since I teach 2 biology labs with a 30 minute break between them, so after all the student questions at the end of lab, I basically have only about 10 minutes to eat lunch. Last week I pounded down a salad in 10 minutes, which was crazy insane. Tomorrow those 10 minutes will be better spent, maybe even just relaxing.

I plan to get outside at some point tomorrow with a 60F day. This will be followed by a 30F day on Tuesday and Wednesday. Crazy NC weather, but gotta love the warmer temps interspersed. Definitely ready for 60F tomorrow after this cold-snap we've had since Tuesday night!

Enjoying a quiet day today...had some family time this morning and now it's time to catch up on laundry and household chores while the kids play at a friend's house and the hubby does some shopping. Not a big oatmeal-eater, but was wanting some. So I put an egg in it and cooked it that way, then added some cinnamon, a scoop of greek yogurt and a small handful of pistachios plus some fruit. It was interesting. It needed more moisture - almond milk would have been good.

hal1 01-27-2014 08:53 PM

Booty-Kicker Workout

I did my booty-kicker workout today. Well, really an abs and leg workout, but it kicked my booty. I have been working through the 8-Week Metabolic Accelerator Workouts and today I did day 1 of week 3, which is the Abs 100 Circuit (AKA Abs Workout #4), plus the optional finisher workout #3, called the Fab 5 20/15 Workout.

If I hadn't made the written plans last night in my journal to do this workout, I might have jumped ship after the stability ball abs pike on the first round. I couldn't get through all 10 of them. But amazingly, after the first round of the circuit, my body seemed able to handle each exercise better on the second and then even better on the third round. I actually cruised through the ab pikes on round 3! My legs were trashed (weak) hen I started the finisher, but as I worked through the 3 circuits of the finisher, my legs were no longer weak. It got easier! Maybe someone can explain this to me, as it's a mystery to me, but I thought it was pretty cool either way. The other thing was that I'm used to 20/10 style of work/rest, so in the 20/15 style, the 15 seconds of rest felt like an eternity! So strange how the mind works like that!

I completed my first-in-awhile (November?) ESE fast. It was right around 24 hours since we ate around the same time tonight and last night. Funny thing is that while I had of course felt hungry at various times in the day, I could have gone longer with the fast. But it was time to eat dinner with my family, so I did. One of these days it would be interesting to push and see how long I could go on a fast, just for the curiosity factor.

We're back in the cycle of snow again, apparently. Maybe 8 inches between tomorrow late day and night. This storm is bringing more snow to the NC coastal plain and we sit close to the I-95 corridor, which may get dumped on. That will paralyze this region, as there is not the ability to deal with that quantity of snow. But given the pending warm up afterward - I mean, this is NC after all -thankfully the snow will then be gone a few days later. If we do get the snow, we should at least be able to have some fun in it! (Although it will be cold in the 20's tomorrow. Brr!)