TT Members Forum

TT Members Forum (http://forum.ttmembers.com/index.php)
-   19th Transformation Contest (http://forum.ttmembers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   forever refining the recipe of "me" (http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=12930)

sbgal 02-24-2014 04:16 PM

Clothes shopping - BLAH!!

I'm STILL either wearing clothes that are too big or the small amount of small clothes I had packed away. Basically I have 2 pairs of jeans that fit and lots of bathing suits. I went shopping yesterday but was disgusted by the vanity sizing, there is no way I'm a size 2. I would have bought the stupid jeans if they came long enough but apparently it's not necessary to have a size 2 LONG available. I need to go someplace that carries higher end clothing to see what my real size is. I'm between a 6 and an 8 and most of my clothes are 10's and 12's. I look a little ridiculous but...whatever. My hair is silver too so...

Prior to my house burning down (2008) I LOVED being able to shop through my little clothes. It was great to see each item begin to fit and then fit and then be too big. Oh those were the days...

hal1 02-24-2014 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbgal (Post 185846)
Clothes shopping - BLAH!!

I'm STILL either wearing clothes that are too big or the small amount of small clothes I had packed away. Basically I have 2 pairs of jeans that fit and lots of bathing suits. I went shopping yesterday but was disgusted by the vanity sizing, there is no way I'm a size 2. I would have bought the stupid jeans if they came long enough but apparently it's not necessary to have a size 2 LONG available. I need to go someplace that carries higher end clothing to see what my real size is. I'm between a 6 and an 8 and most of my clothes are 10's and 12's. I look a little ridiculous but...whatever. My hair is silver too so...

Prior to my house burning down (2008) I LOVED being able to shop through my little clothes. It was great to see each item begin to fit and then fit and then be too big. Oh those were the days...

I'm not sure about sizing, either. I wear a size 4 but when I take out much older clothing (way older) those say 6 or 8 on them. So I truly don't know when they resized everything..sometime in the early 2000s perhaps...but I hear you. I haven't fit anything labeled a size 2 yet and I really don't want to...I am not sure where I would find any clothing it I were now a size 2!

By the way, nice to have you back around!

shawnss711 02-25-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hal1 (Post 185864)
I'm not sure about sizing, either. I wear a size 4 but when I take out much older clothing (way older) those say 6 or 8 on them. So I truly don't know when they resized everything..sometime in the early 2000s perhaps...but I hear you. I haven't fit anything labeled a size 2 yet and I really don't want to...I am not sure where I would find any clothing it I were now a size 2!

By the way, nice to have you back around!

I can't remember when either. Even when I weighed 115 I still wore 7's because of my hip size.
I just put on a pair of 9's and they are fairly close to buttoning.... I am nowhere near even 150 yet! Crazy. I still have some of the old sized clothes in my closet. I do see it as going shopping as well LOL.
Shawn

hal1 02-25-2014 12:23 PM

My Lunch Bunch

You guys are my lunch bunch today! I am eating eggs and a giant salad. Tastes very yummy. I'm sitting here catching up on everyone's posts. Happy to see more posts going up this week than in recent weeks - it appears everyone is still in the game. Yay!

I'm definitely not one to be a "joiner" in the sense of going with the bandwagon and the trends. In fact, I would tend to go the opposite. So don't think I'm jumping on the bandwagon here :), but I've been mulling over my next workout for about 3 weeks now and I'm leaning towards BDHC version 2.0. What I see as the major difference in 2.0 is timer style (like tabata intervals) instead of counting reps and I've become accustomed to the timer style. I don't have straps, so I would have to do the exercises that come in the original program anyway. I have a few others programs in mind that I'm continuing to peruse, but as I said, leaning toward BDHC.

Yesterday's fast was a success (ESE) - think I got to about 22 hrs before it was time to eat dinner. I remember now why I stopped the lunch to lunch fasts (Leslie asked a question somewhere about doing fasts lunch to lunch) and that was so I could have time with my family to enjoy dinner each night.

I spent all evening last night helping my 8 year old with his book report. It was supposed to be finished on Sunday but since he was sick it got pushed to Monday night. Not a good time for a book report. It's not due until Friday but he has so many things going on from Tues-Thurs that Mon is the best night. Three hours later, I put him to bed, took a shower and went to bed myself. Thankfully it was an off day - and it certainly was, since I did nothing remotely resembling a workout yesterday. Today is another off day and I intend to run through the HWR warm up a bunch of times (5 times is my thought). I love doing the leg swings - now that my balance has improved tremendously from these things, they are even more fun!

I hope everyone is having a nice day!

sbgal 02-25-2014 01:09 PM

I adore the timer method along with the follow along vids. I lose focus when I have to keep referring to a print out. The only way I can really keep on track without the vids is to write everything out on poster board and hang on the wall, then I have to have the timer preset on my iphone. As soon as I pick up the phone I see a notification then I have to read it then I check facebook and my email...you see where this is going lol.

Hope your little one feels better :)

hal1 02-26-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbgal (Post 185917)
I adore the timer method along with the follow along vids. I lose focus when I have to keep referring to a print out. The only way I can really keep on track without the vids is to write everything out on poster board and hang on the wall, then I have to have the timer preset on my iphone. As soon as I pick up the phone I see a notification then I have to read it then I check facebook and my email...you see where this is going lol.

Hope your little one feels better :)

Thanks - he's doing much better - I think he was a bit dehydrated on Monday and his stomach pains subsided when he started to drink more water.

Funny about your tendency to distraction. I can imagine a gym would be highly distracting, but I do alright at home with my workout sheet. I just need to look up the exercises first if I don't remember them or they sound odd...otherwise we end up winging it sometimes (and coming pretty close).

hal1 02-27-2014 08:49 AM

Crazy busy week at home and at work. Home is busy as the aftermath of sick kid means more to do in the evenings (finishing touches on book report last night!). My 8-year old is so tired from the late evenings (9-9:30 to bed past three nights when he typically goes to bed at 8-8:30). I am thinking tonight will be a 7:30 night. He has evening activities Tu ,W and Th and of course we both work so can't get the boys until around 5 each day. It has just been rough for him. He threw a tantrum yesterday and today because I helped him to get his breakfast - and I was truly trying to be nice - he is just so tired, I feel so bad for him.

For me it is interim grade time and with the snow days, one exam was pushed back twice so it was yesterday with grades due today. Another exam was Monday - finished grading that last night. So my workouts are suffering (missed the one last night; just no time) as I struggle under the time crunch I am in with helping my child in the evening and then having to do my own work after that, beginning at 9:30 at night and continuing until I am tired at anywhere between 10 and 11:30 pm. We are also in the midst of a search for another biologist and it is time to create fall course schedule offerings, which causes its own troubles. So time at work is often people stopping in during my work time. I continue this activity (here and now) important enough to take the few minutes out of my day to do it. It helps me to find focus. I may or may not have time to read later on today, though...:)

I am fasting 24 hrs today - and nutrition has not been a problem this week at all. The plan we made last night to stay on track with workouts was to pick a short workout for tonight (meaning I will be redoing the order of HWR week 12), probably the day 2 workout, and then do the scheduled workout on Friday and Sunday. Whew. With grades due at 5:00, tonight there is no reason to not get a workout in. I will have more time, too, even if there is a little 3rd grade homework to check or help with, it should not be a burden. And we are usually home from his violin lesson around 6:30. Plenty of time to be Mommy and tackle my own agenda!

LeslieM 02-27-2014 10:45 AM

You're Amazing(pretend I'm Bruno Mars)

Man...Good for you for even thinking about nutrition and exercise! I hope you get a little lull soon. I've home schooled up until this year.(I have a freshman at Baylor, so I didn't ruin her!) We decided to send all the boys to school this year. I guess that means that I should go get a job! This is the first time in 18 years that I've not had children with me ALL DAY LONG. I'm kind of enjoying it!(a little too much some days, I've got to dial back my internet consumption!)I'm going to give myself a year to rest. I have always been in awe of folks who work, care for their children and still seem to be nice people! I'll have to work on my stress coping skills before I go to work.

My daughter took violin for 11 years. She's not really playing it much now. I hope when she acclimates to all the demands of college, she'll start playing again. I also wanted to chime in on clothes shopping. My gold standard for what size I am is my wedding dress. It is a true size 8 from 1994.It fits me perfectly(even though I weigh 10 lbs more,weird) If I were to go buy clothes today I would wear a 4! I think Kohl's is the worst offender, which is probably why women love it! They immediately drop a dress size just by walking through the doors at Kohl's! We should write a diet book! Have a great day! I hope you all get good sleep tonight.

shawnss711 02-27-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hal1 (Post 185998)
Crazy busy week at home and at work. Home is busy as the aftermath of sick kid means more to do in the evenings (finishing touches on book report last night!). My 8-year old is so tired from the late evenings (9-9:30 to bed past three nights when he typically goes to bed at 8-8:30). I am thinking tonight will be a 7:30 night. He has evening activities Tu ,W and Th and of course we both work so can't get the boys until around 5 each day. It has just been rough for him. He threw a tantrum yesterday and today because I helped him to get his breakfast - and I was truly trying to be nice - he is just so tired, I feel so bad for him.

For me it is interim grade time and with the snow days, one exam was pushed back twice so it was yesterday with grades due today. Another exam was Monday - finished grading that last night. So my workouts are suffering (missed the one last night; just no time) as I struggle under the time crunch I am in with helping my child in the evening and then having to do my own work after that, beginning at 9:30 at night and continuing until I am tired at anywhere between 10 and 11:30 pm. We are also in the midst of a search for another biologist and it is time to create fall course schedule offerings, which causes its own troubles. So time at work is often people stopping in during my work time. I continue this activity (here and now) important enough to take the few minutes out of my day to do it. It helps me to find focus. I may or may not have time to read later on today, though...:)

I am fasting 24 hrs today - and nutrition has not been a problem this week at all. The plan we made last night to stay on track with workouts was to pick a short workout for tonight (meaning I will be redoing the order of HWR week 12), probably the day 2 workout, and then do the scheduled workout on Friday and Sunday. Whew. With grades due at 5:00, tonight there is no reason to not get a workout in. I will have more time, too, even if there is a little 3rd grade homework to check or help with, it should not be a burden. And we are usually home from his violin lesson around 6:30. Plenty of time to be Mommy and tackle my own agenda!

I think it's awesome you take the time for us,too :)
I know how it goes with family/work obligations. I have simplified in the last year, though. I was working 2 restaurant jobs, working at the gym and running my boot camp... all while still trying to nurture my family.

Enjoy your workout this evening!

Shawn

hal1 02-28-2014 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeslieM (Post 186004)
Man...Good for you for even thinking about nutrition and exercise! I hope you get a little lull soon. I've home schooled up until this year.(I have a freshman at Baylor, so I didn't ruin her!) We decided to send all the boys to school this year. I guess that means that I should go get a job! This is the first time in 18 years that I've not had children with me ALL DAY LONG. I'm kind of enjoying it!(a little too much some days, I've got to dial back my internet consumption!)I'm going to give myself a year to rest. I have always been in awe of folks who work, care for their children and still seem to be nice people! I'll have to work on my stress coping skills before I go to work.

My daughter took violin for 11 years. She's not really playing it much now. I hope when she acclimates to all the demands of college, she'll start playing again. I also wanted to chime in on clothes shopping. My gold standard for what size I am is my wedding dress. It is a true size 8 from 1994.It fits me perfectly(even though I weigh 10 lbs more,weird) If I were to go buy clothes today I would wear a 4! I think Kohl's is the worst offender, which is probably why women love it! They immediately drop a dress size just by walking through the doors at Kohl's! We should write a diet book! Have a great day! I hope you all get good sleep tonight.

So many things to comment on in here...I don't shop at Kohl's as there isn't any nearby, so that's an interesting comment on their sizing. A wedding dress is probably a good thing to compare to...I can't remember what size I was then but mine is boxed up. I never try it on because then I have to get it out of the box and then pay someone to put it back in there! :)

My son loves the violin. He only started this fall - he's learning Suzuki style. He's definitely found a calling in music, which I figured he would (he loves math and it comes easily to him).

Working and parenting together are sometimes difficult, but in the end I enjoy both so will keep on doing them. Plus there's the income issue, so staying at home for me isn't an option anyway.

While you take your internet break, I am gearing up for an 8-week online course. Whenever I teach this, I wonder what in the world I am doing. But then somehow I look forward to it in the in-between time. Go figure. So while you fast from the internet, I'll be on it more than ever!