TT Members Forum

TT Members Forum (http://forum.ttmembers.com/index.php)
-   6th Transformation Contest (http://forum.ttmembers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   First TT contest for me (http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=7734)

VioletM 09-13-2009 09:40 PM

First TT contest for me

I'm just starting the contest for the first time. I was training for a 5 k the last two months (running about 5 days a week, TT workouts 2-3 times a week, and occasional hikes) but then they postponed the 5k until February, which was good since I started getting shinsplints. Anyways, now I'm starting this contest because I want to finally get to my size of 3-4 years ago, so I need to lose 5 inches around my waist; approx. 20-30 lbs (I don't want to lose my muscle, so I don't really know what the weight will be). So I took pictures tonight, and tomorrow I will have access to a scale. I'm also taking measurements:

waist 33" (belly button)
hip 38.5"
thigh 22.5"
calf 13"
bicep (L) 11.5" R 11"
height 5' 4"
need to get weight tomorrow.

Starting with beginners' TT this week, maybe intermediate later; will see how this goes. Running on off days.
Eating plan: don't eat too much! I usually eat mainly lean meats, eggs, fish, fruits, veggies, but it's easy for me to overdo nuts or anything that I don't eat out of the usual and then it goes a little crazy. like last week of vacation. So back to unprocessed, no sugar, whole foods, and learning to handle "hunger" when it's not hunger for real.
Looking forward to: salsa dancing! shopping for new clothes in December! Seeing my family at Christmas in a healthy body! and doing this as a birthday present to myself also
ok that's it for me. Good luck to everyone!

cesium0122 09-13-2009 10:27 PM

Welcome to TC6!

I have trouble with "hunger" as well. Especially in the evening.

Salsa dancing sounds like fun! But between my husband and I, we have 4 left feet! :D

ma 09-13-2009 11:08 PM

Welcome Violet.

You will have a few running buddies on here doing 5k's.

Good Luck with TC6

Ma

run26neys 09-14-2009 01:53 PM

HI Voilet and welcome!

You will have a great time over the next 12 weeks!
Jori

billy_quiz 09-14-2009 01:59 PM

Hi Violet,

Welcome and good luck!!

If you need any help with running questions just let me know!!

Kelza 09-14-2009 07:05 PM

Welcome Violet, all the best for your TC6 journey :)

fernandopolania 09-14-2009 08:07 PM

Welcome and congratulations.

Corinne 09-14-2009 08:27 PM

Welcome to your first tt contest! You will find it so helpful if you are real good at posting eveyday. It keeps you in check better. :) You sound like you are about the same size as me, maybe alittle smaller than me. Anyhow good luck and glad to see you here. Use fitday.com to track what you eat everyday it is a good thing to log into everyday to keep you in line with your diet.

VioletM 09-15-2009 01:55 AM

thanks

Wow! thank you to everyone for all the great responses. I had a late night at work, but I am going to go to the scale now so I have my starting stats. 1615 calories per Sparkpeople.com, workout A TT went well this morning, now I have to go get some sleep after I get home!

wsarwani 09-15-2009 05:43 AM

Great to have you along for TC6 Violet.

ma 09-15-2009 06:19 PM

Good..Sleep is one of the best things you can do for yourself..
Plenty of rest, good nutrition and workouts.
Equal great results!!!!

VioletM 09-15-2009 10:23 PM

So, yesterday was the sample beginner workout A with intervals and today I ran/jogged 35 minutes.
Anyways, i use sparkpeople.com to track my nutrition and copying and pasting it makes it come out in a messy format that doesn't work into this message section... but so far it's been good yesterday and today. fruits, veggies, lean meats/fish/eggs,brown rice, and some protein powder and nuts.
Today's calories was 1285 but I'm still hungry.
tomorrow is beginner workout B and intervals.
Gotta keep going.

VioletM 09-15-2009 10:33 PM

I forgot to write the start weight: 145 lbs.
I will try to find an easy way so I can just cut and paste my workouts and nutrition into here like everyone else.

VioletM 09-16-2009 11:19 PM

Ok, so it was day 2 yesterday, and I didn't plan my meals well enough so that 1285 calories of veggies, fruit and chix, fish and eggs turned out to include an additional 7 oz of raw almonds and walnuts late at night so it was like 2300 cals. so I think I'll consider that my calorie cycling...kind of....
anyways, today around 1350 and keeping it that way!
Today, I moved on to the intermediate workout cuz I know I can do more pushups that I did on the beginner workout. So, I did the sample workout A intermediate with the intervals; I forgot to do 1 min fast 2 minslow and went 1 min fast then 1 min slow, so my 3rd interval was only .5 min., and then did 2 min slow and finally 4th interval at 1 min fast. anyways, I'll do better on Friday intervals.
Tomorrow is running 30 min and then playing volleyball with friends.

run26neys 09-17-2009 02:46 PM

Don't beat yourself up on missing the calorie count for a day! The most important thing is to GENERALLY stick to healthy eating habits and if you go off track...well just get back on and only look forward!
Jori

RobB 09-17-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by run26neys (Post 109694)
Don't beat yourself up on missing the calorie count for a day! The most important thing is to GENERALLY stick to healthy eating habits and if you go off track...well just get back on and only look forward!
Jori

Hi Violet............well, at least it was healthy!!! Almonds are great for you and help control your appetite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VioletM 09-17-2009 11:23 PM

Well, I've had a repetitive history of that, and at least this time it wasn't as many nuts as it has been in the past. Thanks for your posts! I am doing better yesterday and today. yummy sweet potatoes with my veggies, meat, chix, eggs. and only one oz nuts. :-)
Today I did my 35 min running again. my hamstrings were tight from yesterday; should have stretched them after yesterday's workout.
So I had been using the bodyweight sample workouts. Then I was looking at the TT fat loss manual today, and I found that I need dumbbells and/or bars (for inverted rows or chin-ups). Actually, I need a bar to do chin-ups tomorrow, but I don't know of one near me. In fact, the apt gym doesn't have any dumbbells or bars, just one of those multi-functional one unit pieces with four stations coming off for leg press/armrows, etc. So...I'm going to have to figure out what to do about tomorrow's workout. Maybe I'll have to go to work and use the gym there because they have dumbbells and other machines. I'll find a way!
I can't believe tomorrow is Friday already. The week is going so fast! I don't feel so full and I don't feel so hungry. I think I'm reaching the balancing point and I have more energy, too. I'll have to figure out the workout resources because I don't know of/haven't found an alternative to chin-ups or inverted rows.

Macao 09-17-2009 11:33 PM

Hi Violet
Welcome to TC6, you will get amazing support on this forum.
I am also doing TT for fat loss beginners.... :)
Will you still aim to do the 5km in february??

VioletM 09-18-2009 11:22 PM

Yes, Macao - thanks for the post. I am still planning to do the 5K in Feb. I have a long run tomorrow. My plan is to run 4-5 days a week.
Today I used the stationary bike for the interval training. I skipped out on the chin ups for the bodyweight intermediate workout B because I didn't have access to a bar for chin ups.

I am going to plan better for next week. I will use the gym at work for my workouts so I have access to all the resources I need and can do the whole workout. Also, I'll study the exercises a bit more so I don't take extra long rests trying to make sure I know what I'm doing/how to count each leg for each exercise.

I had an unplanned meal that had chicken enchilada and beans and rice, but I think I was approx. 1700 cals today so not bad. Yesterday approx. 1500. So I think I'm pretty much on track, since I should be around 1500 cals each day; maybe closer to 1400 or 1300 for a deficit and faster weight loss, but 1500 is good I think.

So, the first week is almost up and I think it is going pretty well! Tomorrow a nice long run/ around 1 hr, almost 6 miles, and a nice weekend ahead to catch up on all the sleep I need!

VioletM 09-20-2009 09:16 PM

I've had so much trouble sleeping. Last night, I couldn't fall asleep; I went to sleep a couple hours earlier than usual because I was tired, but I couldn't sleep.
Anyways, Today is a rest day, but I should report nutritionally. I am not going to bother counting calories since it was a disaster. I'm not going to talk about it; it was so bad. I mean, it was a relapse into a horribly unhealthy habit. so I should have listened to the TT call before eating lunch today. Anyways, I gotta get back on track tomorrow. Tomorrow is the start of a new week! And I am determined to be on track! I want to lose 5 inches for these 12 weeks. SO I have to lose 1 inch by Oct. 1. So tomorrow is a tough TT workout! Gotta get planning ----

Kelza 09-20-2009 11:56 PM

Back on the horse Violet! Good thinking listening to the TT call for motivation :) dont beat yourself up about whats happened in the past, you cant change that it will just bring you down and make you more likely to do it again. Planning is the thing that helps me that most. I have trouble with getting enough sleep as well... wish i had some suggestions to help you

wsarwani 09-21-2009 03:15 AM

I had messed up sleep for a long time (until recently) due mostly to stress from work and bad eating habits at night etc. I did all the things that you read about with respect to "fixing" your sleep but it did take a while to sort out my sleep pattern. However, when it was fixed, I got the best, sweetest sleep ever and it was well worth it.

I guess you need to find out what's causing your sleep problems as it tends to be different things for different people but it'll be well worth it. I suppose the point of my post is to say that it might take some trial and error and take some time before you get things right with your sleep.

billy_quiz 09-21-2009 04:22 PM

I've always struggled with sleep - even before I started working shifts!! Too many things whizzing around in my mind! Add in shift work, it's a wonder I sleep at all!!

Sometimes, sleep issues can be caused by dietary issues - the change in diet could be affecting your sleep. Check what you are eating towards the end of the day and see whether there is anything there that could be causing it. Alternatively, you don't mention at what time of day you are exercising. Exercising right before bed can also be detrimental to good sleep.

VioletM 09-21-2009 10:51 PM

Thanks for the posts. I work out first thing in the morning (8:30 am ish); but some days it will be around 11 am because I work 1pm-10:30 pm roughly and I want to go in at 11am to use the gym at work to have access to heavier dumbbells, etc.
Today I did intermediate workout A. I used 12lbs for all the exercises, and increased some reps for the incline press. However, I know that I could do more than 1+the number of reps for maximum reps at that weight, so I know I didn't get pushed enough. The intervals were done running outside so I am not sure what the pace was, but it was probably slower than on the treadmill last week.
My eating schedule was good today - around 1400 cals. eggs, ezekiel bread, apples, watermelon, celery, carrot, sweet potato, chicken, natural whey protein and blueberries, banana and some almonds. I am tired because at night I think so much and can't sleep. I tried to go to bed too early Saturday night since I usually sleep later because of my shift. Anyways, hoping for a better night's sleep tonight. And I'll push harder on Wednesday. Looking forward to a great workout week and being properly nourished (i've got plenty of veggies, fruit, beef, eggs, and chicken for the week)!

evenstar74 09-21-2009 11:16 PM

Hi Violet-
Don't beat yourself up over falling back into bad eating patterns! Planning ahead really helps, so you have healthy snacks for any situation that might come up, and don't have an excuse to hit the vending machine or jar of nuts. If you overeat at home, maybe time to get rid of the nuts until you can handle them better? I've done that when my nut eating got out of control. It's funny, I can have a box of girl scout cookies in the cupboard for months and not even look at it - but the bag of cashews calls my name all evening! I suspect I'd actually rather eat the cookies, but it's easier to rationalize the nuts because I can take "a few" and not know how bad it is unless I weigh them.

I've had trouble getting to sleep too, and I find that both ZMA and melatonin help. ZMA is zinc, magnesium and B6; I think it's the magnesium that helps with sleep, and it may help with food cravings too. I try to take it regularly, but also take melatonin if I'm having a lot of trouble getting to sleep.

VioletM 09-22-2009 10:06 PM

Thanks, Evenstar. My mom always tells me to take Calcium before I go to bed to help me sleep - and the calcium supplement also has magnesium and zinc. so I should remember to do that.

Daily report:
40 min. running outside
nutrition - followed plan for eggs, protein powder, lean beef, chicken, sweet potatoes, handful almonds, apples, banana, spinach, green beans, and blueberries and raspberries - ~ 1500 cals per sparkpeople.com

Wrote in my journal today and read my goals again. I'm going to do my weekly weigh-in tonight (forgot it last night) and measure my waist next week - hoping for a one inch loss.
Tomorrow: TT intermediate workout B.

VioletM 09-23-2009 10:35 PM

Forgot to weigh myself again yesterday. Will do tonight.

intermediate Workout B this morning: used 20 lb. weights on each arm.
Next time I should use 25 lbs to really follow the 1+max rule.
interval was workout A beginner interval b/c I couldn't remember the rest interval timing. will have to reference that.
5 min - ramped up from 12 min mile to 10 min mile
1 min at 6:48 min pace ("8.8" speed on treadmill)
2 min ramp from 12 min mile to 9 min mile
repeat (total of 4 intervals)
cool down and walk off treadmille around 17 minute mark - running late today!

Nutrition: calcualation was 1500 cals. right on target.

I was surprised the workout wasn't harder. Maybe I shouldn't go so low on the speed setting for rests. But then last week at 10 min miles it was so hard. Anyways, I know I need to up the weights and I think I may be able to up the speed. or maybe just today was a good day. I 've been focusing on singing from my diaphragm (when I sing to the radio in the car on my long commutes! ha ha) and I think that may be helping my cardiovascular/aerobic conditioning!
tomorrow is 40 min running/jogging. and volleyball with friends if I can get my lunch break from work!

VioletM 09-24-2009 10:36 PM

Weight (just now): 144 lbs. I guess that's one lb. less from last week, but maybe if I hadn't messed up on the nutrition on Sunday it would be better. 1 lb could still be water, muscle or fat loss, so I don't really know - it doesn't really tell me anything, and it's only one week anyways. I'll measure my waist next week to see if I lost an inch.

Ran or jogged this morning: 46 min. I think it was really slow. I felt tired - I think from the other day's workout. I think it was maybe 12 min mile pace.

Nutrition - on target, same whole foods (except the whey protein powder) and 1425 caloric count.

Tomorrow: Workout A intermediate. with intervals.

unfortunately, no time for the volleyball today. back to work

wsarwani 09-25-2009 04:23 AM

That's okay, 1lb is still a step in the right direction. Keep it going Violet!

VioletM 09-25-2009 09:27 PM

9/25/09

Thanks Waleed/ wsarwani!

Daily report:
Calories planned: 1475
fruits, veggies, salmon, unflavored whey, chicken, and some nuts.
Workout A, intermediate. used 25 lbs on each arm for most exercises; 10 lbs for rear deltoid raises. all those pushups really put me to work!
could probably increase weights/reps for the split squat DB, stability ball leg curls/jacknives.

intervals: 3 of 2 min each with 2 min rest periods (think this was beginner intervals B?) for 20 min on elliptical (crosstrained today) didn't feel like I pushed myself as much as the other days, so for my running intervals on Monday, I'll go harder and maybe do a different interval set. Got to study the manual more this weekend.

Tomorrow: long run is scheduled.
and chiropractor cuz my upper back/neck is getting weird, probably from weird sleeping on the pillow and lifting heavier weights.

KittyR 09-25-2009 10:06 PM

I've done my share of mindless eating. Just resolve to do better tomorrow. And have a great workout.

Abby 09-26-2009 08:58 AM

Hello!

Yes, we do have similar stats! My measurements are close to yours too (your starting ones.)

Be really careful with the neck. Unfortunately I woke up this morning and was too cold and when I rolled over felt a little pop in my neck and now it's a full blown strain. I'm sooo mad!
Anyway, keep plugging away!

Abby

VioletM 09-27-2009 11:34 PM

it's ironic, KittyR - I messed up my eating probably around the time you posted that. I hate to say this, I feel like I let the forum down in addition to myself, but at least I did go 5 days last week until I felt like I was so hungry that I ate whatever I had - a banana, about a cup of oats - oatmeal, and then walnuts and almonds. probably 5 oz and that was around 1 am Sat.. so then after sleeping I was late to my appt Saturday.
I DID do my long run SUNDAY, though. Saturday was chicken salads, watermelon, apples... but I did have 3 clif bars. not so good. I didn't even want to eat the bars the afternoon or the nuts at 1am. but I just wanted to eat and that was the easiest thing.
anyways,
So it's Sunday, and I'm going to make a turnaround. This week, the start of my 3rd week, is going to be 7 days at the 1500 cal/day, whole foods plan I have for myself. I know I can, and I will. I did my long run today, so I'm glad about that.
And I took a step further. I reviewed my goals again and signed a contract with my mom as my witness. I owned up to how I ate last Sunday and this Saturday.
Main one for following the TT program and good nutrition 12 weeks - lose 5 inches around my waist
Others:
short term:
stay under 2000 cals (maintenance) during the 12 weeks
run a mile in 6:30 min.
long term:
run less than 23 min for 5 kin February
Be working out at the advanced TT level by the end of the year and through next year
be consistently following healthy habits to be comfortable going out and seeing old friends, etc.
I know it will be hard. Because I get stressed about work, too, and I was thinking I was obsessing about this a bit last week and not being as efficient at work. But I spend so much time there I know I am putting in good effort. It's more of priority- working on the higher priority stuff.
I will also drink more water so I don't think I'm hungry when I know I've eaten enough for the day. Now that I have a contract, I don't want to be sued for breach of contract! haha.

also- thanks abby for stopping by and I hope your neck is better!

today's long run was 5.8 miles, 1 hr.
tomorrow is workout B, intermediate w/ intervals. so that's 4 one min on/one min off intervals.
well, I'm feeling more hopeful. I hope my moody shift from the week is over (hope next month I can deal with that better), and even though I was so tired, etc., (even sleeping for 2 hrs this afternoon!), I am looking forward to making this week better. And I'll post Saturday to keep on track. I was so depressed about what I would write on here when I was thinking yesterday.
But now I'm done - wow, long post. oh and today's eating was good. I didn't count cals, but portion sizes were reasonable, from 2 eggs and a bowl of oatmeal, to chicken salad, carrots, rice and then an apple, and later ground turkey, broccoli and rice.

wsarwani 09-28-2009 09:20 AM

I think you're being too hard on yourself. Perhaps it was too much to eat too late but it was still pretty healthy. Could have been alot worse (think ice cream, cheesecake etc).

Making a "contract" is a good step to help with the accountability. Keep us posted on how that approach works out for you...

KittyR 09-28-2009 09:52 AM

With your running, I would suggest planning your meals so you get your full allotment of calories. You might even need to figure on a few more calories to come up with a program that is sustainable for 12 weeks with your activity level.

Do you like cinnamon? Celestial Seasonings has a bengal spice variety of herbal tea that is very cinnamony. I drink it if I am feeling like I want to eat something. It does help me, maybe partly because 15 or 20 minutes have passed by the time I have finished it and I have gotten past the initial impulse to stuff myself. It is also very good.

matrix2pyro 09-28-2009 07:07 PM

Don't get too down on yourself. Make constant improvement from week to week. Then you will achieve your goals over the course of the contest.

The most important thing is to get back on track when you slip. Don't give in to the "Oh Well" attitude. One mistake won't destroy a weeks worth of work.

VioletM 09-28-2009 11:06 PM

Thank you all for your posts!
I'm sorry for whining/complaining.

Thanks, Waleed - I feel more focused with the contract. Every time I see your avatar I think I want to see that movie - I still haven't seen it yet!

Thanks, KittyR - I do need to plan more in advance. Sometimes it's day by day because I forget to stock the refrigerator... I need to plan more. Also, that cinnamon tea sounds awesome! I should let myself have tea when I get home, if I feel like it. I do have some good tea that I forget about. I'll put it out on the counter so I don't forget.

Thanks, Matrix2pryo. I'm looking forward to making this week better than the last!

So today's report: 1450 calories (estimated; I had a soup/salad bar lunch when I went out with a friend, so I approximated the volume amounts. I think it was a good choice from the menu and I liked it.)
Workout A, intermediate, with intervals as stated yesterday. Definitely harder to run after lifting the weights. I used 20 lbs on each side. I think I could have increased the weight, but I wasn't at the gym so I didn't have a full set of weights to use. It was still hard, and I'm not sure if I could have increased the reps. I did focus on form, and I know the reverse lunges and the squats worked my muscles because of how I felt when I went to go running. So, running tomorrow morning, and then another day of yummy whole food nutrition to have a clear head and focus at work.

Abby 09-29-2009 01:56 PM

Nice job getting back on track. It is so hard to eat at a deficit when you are training for performance, in my opinion. But you've come up with some great ways to keep you on track. I'm also trying to stay below 1500 calories this week, just for a kick start, so I'll be right there with ya! :)

VioletM 09-30-2009 02:13 AM

Well, oops, I didn't have time to post late last night, but I did let myself have some nuts which brought the calories to 1700 still below 2000 cals maintenance level, and I was ok with that, because I hadn't had nuts earlier in the day.
Anyways, I think I was at 1500 today but having trouble with the sparkpeople website for counting calories, so here it is:

2 eggs, ~ 1.5-2 c. spinach

1 wild salmon patty from Trader Joe's
1 medium sweet potato

1 banana, 10 g protein (whey)

24 almonds (1 oz)
1 small apple

3 oz chicken, 2 large carrots, 1 stalk celery
1 medium sweet potato, 4 walnuts

3 oz chicken, 2 cups green beans
1 small apple

ran 48 minutes total this morning. was slow pace, probably 11-12 min mile.

and I plan to eat similarly the rest of the week, and tomorrow is the workout B.

VioletM 09-30-2009 10:27 PM

Nutrition:
same food as yesterday, except more whey protein/less chicken
spinach instead of green beans.
and some lettuce

Workout:
Intermediate A
on each side,
30 lbs weights - that was good I thought, it made me breathe harder and it felt like a good workout!
10 lb weights on the rear delt raises
intervals:
30 sec at 6:39 to 6:48 min pace, per treadmill (9.0-9.5 speed, last one was 9.5 others 9.0)
90 sec in between
total of 6 intervals.

was a good day, don't have much time again - back to workh!