TT Members Forum

TT Members Forum (http://forum.ttmembers.com/index.php)
-   9th Transformation Contest (http://forum.ttmembers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Galaxy going for Gold this time! (http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=9535)

galaxy 09-06-2010 09:28 PM

Galaxy going for Gold this time!

Hi everyone

Well as the title says, I am going for Gold this time round.

I started Contest # 8 and was doing quite well up to the week 6 mark, then I fell off the rails for various reasons. My son had to have surgery and I suffered a few asthma attacks, which really threw me, although I didn't stop training totally, it was a bit intermittent and my eating really slipped.

As a result of the ill health, I missed the last few weeks and dropped out of the contest, so have been waiting for #9 to start. As Craig says, don't give up!

So here I am again!! this time around, I am going to learn from my mistakes last time round and set smaller attainable goals that will actually be little steps to get me closer to my main goals. I think I aimed too much at the end result I wanted last time and didn't think too much about the little steps that will get me there. I am also being vocal about making changes so my friends are aware, and I will be on here as much as I can so I am accountable.

I also have the support of my husband this time which will help so much, he has started doing the TT workouts and has been really impressed by the quick progress he has made. Although I know it will make me sick how quickly he will lose weight and it will be so much harder for me!

I have managed to maintain some sort of TT workouts since the last contest, so I am going to continue through the TT for fat loss manual as I would have done anyway.

This means I will be just starting TK5 (I think!) I have really enjoyed TK3 and TK4, so am hoping TK5 will be just as good, am sure it will be!

The hardest part for me will be the nutrition, this is my biggest battle and demon. I have a history of eating disorders so food and weight has always been huge thing for me. I would like to say I am over the disorders, but to be honest they are an addiction so you never get over it, I feel like they are always lurking away in the background.

Since having children, I am aware that my eating habits will affect them, so I do believe I have much healthier attitidue towards food (as I know my unhealthy one came from my Mum)
but it's still a battle and I still have a tendency to binge.

I am really hoping that by doing the contest I am can keep on track and not go off the rails, and take control of my eating. This will be a huge thing for me beleive me.

One of my mini goals will be to track my food on fitday, so even if I do go off the track, it might not actually be as bad as I think and if it is I know how much I need to pull back to put it right. O r just rule a line under it and start again. this will be a challenge!

I plan to write my goals tonight and take photos so if I dare i will post them tomorrow, so far none of the before photos seem as bad as mine will be, so that's a bit scary!

That's it for now guys, I will be heading to the gym later so do workout A of my new workouts, will update you tomorrow on how it went.

good luck everyone,

cheers Katie

jenniferlynne76 09-06-2010 09:47 PM

Good luck, Katie! As a recovering binge eater, I know how hard an ED can be to overcome. It's something we have to manage daily. But I also know that with the right habits and support system, manage it we can.

Looking forward to cheering you on through this process.

-Jen

Starbuck1517 09-06-2010 10:41 PM

Best of luck with all your goals, Katie! You seem to have everything under control this time. It's crazy what life can throw at us...Sometimes there are just tough times and the best you can do is hang in and maintain a bit till the dust settles. But how amazing that you managed to keep up workouts, even intermittently, and yourself get back on track! :)

evenstar74 09-06-2010 11:41 PM

Good luck with your goals! Having your husband's support will help; these forums are always great for support, but the support of the people we live is invaluable for those moments when we feel weakest.
Don't be afraid to post your starting pictures, I think that is a good extra motivation. We're all at different stages here, and I truely believe we are all our own worst critics. (Got to get my own pictures resized and posted tomorrow!).

hotchocolate 09-07-2010 05:19 AM

Good luck with your contest - i am also a Uk er so seems there are a few of us doing this!

Does anyone else from the uk use FITDAY? i am trying but having to manually enter most things is some of our products arent listed!

GillianM 09-07-2010 08:26 AM

Good luck guys!

Good luck everyone. I am from the UK also. Living in London at the mo. I have used fitday. It can be quite time consuming but overall I thought it was good.

I wish everyone all the best in the contest. I am on my own personal journey (5wks in to be exact) but I am excited to see how everyone gets along with the transformation contest and at the same time I plan to get some serious results myself! I have a weigh in with my doctor tomorrow. I am slighly nervous but I have worked my ass off and I am feeling the slimmest & fittest I've been in a year. So positive thinking all the way.

galaxy 09-07-2010 06:14 PM

Day 1

Hi everyone

thanks for the messages of support.

The photos were taken last night, I have actually seen them yet, husband took them will down them later and put them on the forum gulp, not looking forward to seeing them, but am determined they will be better ones in 6 weeks and even better in 12 weeks.

Also took weight and measurements, I am actually heavier than I was when I started #8 contest so that's pretty depressing, but am looking forward now and looking forward to those numbers decreasing.

I have also started telling people that I am doing this, I actually work in a tertiary instituion and work in admin, but in dept Sport and Ex Science, so I have plenty of knowledge around me and resources I can use. I think I have been too embarrassed or feared failure before to ask for help, but this time I am being more accountable and confident that I will do this.

I am going to get my body fat measured accurately with skin calipers and by a trainer who knows what they are doing, as I am not convinced that the girl at the gym did it properly.
Not looking forward to the results, but I need a starting point and will aim to get this lower too.

OK workout journal:

Last night at the gym I did Workout A of the TK5 and that was great, really enjoyed it but the spiderman pushups were hard man! but I did manage 5

also the interval training has gone up to Advanced level 2, which is hard, I was really sweating when I finished, but felt great.

I will log my food on fitday, and workout how I can link that to this log/

thanks veryone, will be back later to check on your progess.

cheers for now

Katie

hotchocolate 09-08-2010 04:12 AM

Well done Katie - looks like youve got off to a good start :-)

galaxy 09-09-2010 12:47 AM

Workout journal

Had a day off gym yesterday, was not able to fit into the day as working then too many after school activities but was happy to have rest.

Today:

Workout B from TTK5 - wow that was great. (I only did 2 supersets of each exercise as this is my first time in doing this new programme)

Loved the decline pushups, managed to 20 the first time, and 15 the second time around without stopping. then did the other 5.

Found the Incline rows quite tough, but will keep going. Think that's tecnique too.

I still look pretty stupid trying to do the real chinups so I am using the assisted machine in the gym! (for now!) - I will get to the real ones one day!

Also took measurements and weight on Tuesday night, I just need to post them and my photos, still not quite got the courage for that yet!

Will get my body fat measured tomorrow at work, by an expert, she is also going to do my husbands too so he is joingin me in the competiton.

Keep up the great work eveyrone.

Cheers for now

Katie

bettywantsabs 09-09-2010 04:44 AM

Hi Katie, I'm sure you will do great on this contest and develop a love for exercise and healthy eating habits for life. I was literally addicted to food, junk food, there is so much of it out there, it's everywhere, and very hard to avoid! Any time I've "dieted" I've found it hard to incorporate a *cheat* meal, sometimes I felt like it had to be all or nothing. But I've come to realise that you can *treat* yourself every now and then, and you shouldn't feel bad about it. Believe in yourself and you can do anything. Good luck!

bettywantsabs 09-09-2010 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotchocolate (Post 130130)
Good luck with your contest - i am also a Uk er so seems there are a few of us doing this!

Does anyone else from the uk use FITDAY? i am trying but having to manually enter most things is some of our products arent listed!

I'm from the UK too (Sunny Scotland :-)), and this is my first time using TT. Good luck everyone. I use the My Fitness Pal iPhone app for tracking my cals, you can also use this online, so you don't need an iPhone. Has a massive database, loads of UK foods, and it is very straightforward to add your own foods. Good luck!

hotchocolate 09-09-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettywantsabs (Post 130339)
I'm from the UK too (Sunny Scotland :-)), and this is my first time using TT. Good luck everyone. I use the My Fitness Pal iPhone app for tracking my cals, you can also use this online, so you don't need an iPhone. Has a massive database, loads of UK foods, and it is very straightforward to add your own foods. Good luck!

Thanks Betty - Ill look at that app!

hotchocolate 09-09-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotchocolate (Post 130356)
Thanks Betty - Ill look at that app!

Double thanks - just downloaded it - its great think it will be easier for uk foods yay!

weetamclan 09-09-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettywantsabs (Post 130339)

Whereabouts in Scotland? I think there's a mini British invasion in this contest!

wsarwani 09-11-2010 05:02 PM

I know how easy it is to get derailed with what life has to throw at us. I hope things go better for you during this contest. The fact that you're back for another go speaks volumes.

galaxy 09-13-2010 07:21 PM

Day 7

Hi guys

hope eveyrone had a good weekend. Not sure where everyone is located or the time difference, but it's Monday morning here in NZ.

The weekend was challenging for me to say the least!

Sat - get together with football team kids at Mac Donalds - managed to resist - had a diet coke

Sun - football tournament all day with kids - away from home - took healthy snacks, nuts, dried apricots/cranberrries, in an effort to stay clean - but did have about 10 sweets.

Sun teatime - took the boys swimming, they had fun on the hydroslide, swings while I swam and did some exercises in the water - pretty hard workout great resistance

sund night - went out to the pub for dinner - I ordered vege burger (seemed the healthiest option) gave away my fries and battered onion rings, but did have 2 glasses of wine!

Monday - still away from home but took porridge to make for my breakfast - went for a walk with family, the boys had a sausage roll from the bakery, I had a black coffee.

Later boys/husband had an icecream and I did have a few licks and the bottom of the cornet with some icecream. I know this is not great and those few licks do count, but considering what I could have had, I thought I did pretty well.

Monday PM - went to gym did WorkoutA from TTK5 - home again and had big salad, jckt potato and cottage cheese for dinner.

Workout
Warm-up Circuit

o Prisoner Squat – 10 repetitions
o Elevated Pushup – 8 repetitions per side
o Stability Ball Leg Curl – 10 repetitions
Warm-up Superset
1A) Squat or 1-Leg Squat – 8 reps at 75% or 5 reps.

1B) DB Chest Press or Bench Press – 8 reps at 75% of the weight used in the “real” sets.

Superset #1
1A) Squat or 1-Leg Squat – 8 repetitions

1B) DB Chest Press or Bench Press – 6 repetitions

Superset #2
2A) DB RDL – 8 repetitions

2B) Spiderman Pushup – 5 repetitions per side

Superset #3
3A) DB Step-up – 10 repetitions per side
 No rest.
3B) DB Rear-Deltoid Raise – 12 repetitions

Advanced Interval Training Workout A -II (Details below)

all in all there were some slips ups,but not anywhere near as bad as it could have been. I had to sit and watch hubby and kids tucking into MacDonalds (although to be honest and not a huge fan of them). but I really do love icecream so that was hard, I could have easily tucked into the yummy ones they were eating and although I did have a few tastes, my boys were really wanting me to taste it! I feel like I managed damage limitation and did not completely lose it.

I am hoping that this shows up on the scales this week, but don't really feel like it has yet.

It sounds like as a family we eat a lot of takeaways, but this was a one off as were were away for the weekend. Generally we eat pretty healthy, but my downfall is sweets, and stuff like that.

Not sure if I will be able to make the gym tonight, I am hoping to get to zumba, but depends if hubby gets home from work in time for me to go. If not I will be hitting the gym early in the morning.

OK, need to go some work not, then off to check on everyone's elses progress.

Cheers guys, 5 weeks to go for the mini contest!

hotchocolate 09-14-2010 04:53 AM

Well done - seems liek you have managed to make the best of a tricky situation and did really well with what you had - and still managed to be active too!

I know how you feel with the sweet things - that is my downfall too :-(

The scales or measurements will soon show - keep going X

bettywantsabs 09-14-2010 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotchocolate (Post 130359)
Double thanks - just downloaded it - its great think it will be easier for uk foods yay!

I'm just finding my way about all the threads, I need to figure out how to follow you all! It's a great little app, I don't know how I managed without it, ok I do, manually writing everything down and adding it all up! How easy is it add foods though! My one complaint is it that it obviously draws on what other people enter, and watch out for this, most folks don't enter the protein content of food! I'm not too obsessed with counting at the macro level, but I do like to see that I've took in over 100g of protein per day. And I've been doing this long enough now to know what most foods contain, it's just a pain to have to add the food again, (albeit easy to do) with the full info....rant over, sorry, glad you liked it!

bettywantsabs 09-14-2010 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weetamclan (Post 130404)
Whereabouts in Scotland? I think there's a mini British invasion in this contest!

LOL! Yeah, I noticed! I'm from Kirkintilloch and stay in that place, you know, what's it called? Cumbernauld :-S. Sorry, couldn't resist that one :-), in fact, I'm just along from the good folks at AG Barr :-). Where aboots r u?

galaxy 09-14-2010 08:27 PM

Wednesday

Hi all

well didn't make zumba last night, hubby home too late.

But went to gym at 05.30am this morning and had a great workout B from TTK5,

Warm-up Superset
1A) Pull-ups or DB Pullover – 4 reps or 6 reps at 75% of weight used in the “real” sets.

1B) DB Floor Press – 8 reps using 75% of the weight you’ll use in the “real” sets.

Superset #1
1A) Pull-ups or DB Pullover – 8 repetitions

1B) DB Floor Press – 8 repetitions

Superset #2
2A) Chin-ups or DB Row – 8 repetitions

2B) DB Incline Press – 8 repetitions

Superset #3
3A) Inverted Row or DB Rear Deltoid Raise – 15 repetitions

3B) Decline Pushups – 20 repetitions

then did the Advanced I interval training which is hardout but well worht it.

Nutrition has been good so far today, but I am feeling a bit hungry. Need to post on fitday to see how manycals I have had.

Keep up the good work everyone, will try to post on others post.

Cheers Katie

hotchocolate 09-15-2010 04:58 AM

Sounds like a good day :-)

weetamclan 09-15-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettywantsabs (Post 130863)
LOL! Yeah, I noticed! I'm from Kirkintilloch and stay in that place, you know, what's it called? Cumbernauld :-S. Sorry, couldn't resist that one :-), in fact, I'm just along from the good folks at AG Barr :-). Where aboots r u?

OMG you live next to royalty!! :p

I'm from Edinburgh. I live next to seagulls.

galaxy 09-17-2010 06:14 AM

Day ?

Can;t actually remember what day I am already, I could get up and walk to the calendar but then I would get distracted by something else and it would be another 2 days before I got to post on here again!

Last couple of days have been OK, although I have had a really bloaty tummy and feeling fat!

My clothes have been really tight and I actually thought I would be feeling the benefits of eating healthy for the last 10 days. However when I actually think about how much I weigh, then there is no wonder my clothes are still uncomfortable, I have a few more pounds to go before I reach that stage yet.

Went to gym yesterday at 5.30am, did Workout A I think from TTK5, I will post the exercise soon.
Then did the Advanced interval training which was great.

Not sure if anyone else has one of "those" people in the gym, but we have a Miss Snooty Pants, who absoloutely loves herself and doens't even give you the time of day when you are stood near her.

Most of the people in the gym are really friendly and say Hi, but this particular woman has her little clique and only talks to them and noone else. It's as if other people are not good enough to speak to. She seriously looks down her nose at people if you don't fit the mould, ie not super slim, don't wear the latest gear, don't drive the flash car etc.

Anyhow Miss Snooty Pants was there again today, totally ignored me as usual, she is so up herself it really annoys me. She makes me feel like crap (sorry not sure if that's a word I can use on here, its not a good word to use in the UK, but here in NZ they use it all the time, so sorry if it's offended anyone :)

But it really makes me want to lose weight and get super fit, just to show the stuck up @:*&

Makes me grit my teeth in the gym and work really hard.

I just wish that the weight was coming off a bit quicker so I was getting some results and I looked better/felt better.

I do feel really bloated and can't actually see anything happening yet, I know i have not been 100% with food but I have passed on loads of times I could have eaten something bad.

Yesterday at work, my boss gave me 2 toffee pops (choc toffee biscuits), I was very tempted to eat them, as it wsa the end of the day and I was whacked, but instead I put them in my lunch box and brought them home and gave them to my boys 1 each).

Does everyone else log their food? My plan was to use fitday, but I am in NZ and it's not really applicable for a lot of foods here, I know there are UK versions too, but they dont fit either. As we have different brands out here and lot less choice too.

I will ask at work if there is NZ or Oz version of a food logging equivalent that is free and maybe start using that.

My biggest problem is getting time to log it. But I think if I did make the effort it would probably help a lot.

Well that's my ramblings for the day

We are having a horrendous storm here in NZ, it's hitting the whole country, power lines down, trees down, apparently it's the size of Australia, so it's covering NZ.

good night all, am gonna go, before we lose power or something

bettywantsabs 09-17-2010 06:47 AM

Keep your chin up & you are worthy :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by galaxy (Post 131188)
Can;t actually remember what day I am already, I could get up and walk to the calendar but then I would get distracted by something else and it would be another 2 days before I got to post on here again!

Last couple of days have been OK, although I have had a really bloaty tummy and feeling fat!

My clothes have been really tight and I actually thought I would be feeling the benefits of eating healthy for the last 10 days. However when I actually think about how much I weigh, then there is no wonder my clothes are still uncomfortable, I have a few more pounds to go before I reach that stage yet.

Went to gym yesterday at 5.30am, did Workout A I think from TTK5, I will post the exercise soon.

Not sure if anyone else has one of "those" people in the gym, but we have a Miss Snooty Pants, who absoloutely loves herself and doens't even give you the time of day when you are stood near her.

Most of the people in the gym are really friendly and say Hi, but this particular woman has her little clique and only talks to them and noone else. It's as if other people are not good enough to speak to. She seriously looks down her nose at people if you don't fit the mould, ie not super slim, don't wear the latest gear, don't drive the flash car etc.

Anyhow Miss Snooty Pants was there again today, totally ignored me as usual, she is so up herself it really annoys me. She makes me feel like crap (sorry not sure if that's a word I can use on here, its not a good word to use in the UK, but here in NZ they use it all the time, so sorry if it's offended anyone :)

But it really makes me want to lose weight and get super fit, just to show the stuck up @:*&

I just wish that the weight was coming off a bit quicker so I was getting some results and I looked better/felt better.

I do feel really bloated and can't actually see anything happening yet, I know i have not been 100% with food but I have passed on loads of times I could have eaten something bad.

Yesterday at work, my boss gave me 2 toffee pops (choc toffee biscuits), I was very tempted to eat them, as it wsa the end of the day and I was whacked, but instead I put them in my lunch box and brought them home and gave them to my boys 1 each).

Does everyone else log their food? My plan was to use fitday, but I am in NZ and it's not really applicable for a lot of foods here, I know there are UK versions too, but they dont fit either. As we have different brands out here and lot less choice too.

I will ask at work if there is NZ or Oz version of a food logging equivalent that is free and maybe start using that.

My biggest problem is getting time to log it. But I think if I did make the effort it would probably help a lot.

We are having a horrendous storm here in NZ, it's hitting the whole country, power lines down, trees down, apparently it's the size of Australia, so it's covering NZ.

Hey Katie, I think everyone can associate with you on The Miss Snooty Pants front, I refer to those people as the "I luv me club". The best advice I can give you for Miss Snooty Pants, is just ignore her. But if her being snooty helps motivate you, then maybe it's a good thing? And you will show the @:*&, you will be successful and be able to show off in the gym soon enough! Don't let her or anyone else, make you feel "crap", you are you, and you are trying to be the best you. Everyone is unique and special, (except for her LOL), keep your chin up and believe in yourself, make sure you have your goals set, and try and think positive thoughts about the steps you are taking to reach your goals.

Have you looked at www.myfitnesspal.com for tracking your cals? This is really easy to use and you can add your own foods to it, very simple. If you don't see your usual food stuff on there, take half hour/1 hour to input all your regular foods, that way when you start using it all your stuff will be there. I use it everyday, and I use it first thing in the morning, takes me 5 minutes to enter everything I am going to eat for the day, and that way, if I am presented with other eating opportunities, I know I can't have it, as it would take me over my quota for that day. I have lost 30lbs+ so far, and I would say that knowing what my cal intake should be, planning my meals, and inputting all meals into this tracker has been the biggest factor in my success thus far. I'm not saying never have a treat, but don't go off the rails, and know your cal intake for weight loss. Well done on passing on the toffee pops :-), make sure you do have a treat now and then tho, just build them into your daily intake, and limit to a couple a week. Stick in there, and you will soon see the results you're after.

I hope the storm passes soon, and you're not badly effected by it. Take care, and chin up :-)
Betty xx

wsarwani 09-17-2010 09:25 AM

Okay, here's my second attempt at posting to your thread. I love my iPad but it can behave a bit goofy sometimes and I just lost everything I'd just written...so as I was saying...

I can relate to what you meant about the "snooty" girl in the gym. I'm not exactly athletic looking and I felt at times when I was first doing TT that I was being sneered or laughed at (behind my back of course, no-one's got the guts to do it when I'm looking) by the meat-heads in the weights area of a public gym, as if they were saying, "Hey, what's the fat guy doing in the weights room?!".

Actually, it was with the help of people in these very forums that I learned to forget about them and tune them out. Now, I'm completely focused on my workouts and the exercises and little else. I don't even see these people. Usually, because the TT workouts are so efficient, I'm in and out of the gym well before these guys even finish their warm-ups!

So while I understand your reasoning, I would say make your motivation for getting fit your own health and well-being rather than proving anything to anyone else. You seem to be there already but I'm just giving an extra "push" ;)

There are quite a few apps and sites for tracking calories and maybe because most of them use the same US FDA (or it might be the USDA) database, I can understand why you can't find some of your 'local' foods. But I did a quick Google search and found this:

www.healthjunkie.co.nz/calorie-counter.html

Check it out, you might find what you're looking for.

I've used the Livestrong app on my iPod Touch which is quite good but requires an internet connection to work so it might be better on an iPhone. It syncs with the Livestrong site and you can track your exercises etc as well. It allows you to add your own food using the "custom" option so this can be handy for those one-off items you might that aren't in the database.

I've also used the GoMealsHD app on the iPad and is very good considering it's free but there's no way of getting the food logs out.

I also really like "Fitness Assistant" for Windows PCs and it is very customizable when it comes to adding your own foods and even making meal plans and recipes. It also has an extensive exercise databse so it was be handy for estimating calories burned as well as eaten. It's a shareware program and there is a nominal cost but for me, it has been a very worthwhile investment as it helped me understand correct food portions, calorie densities etc when I first started my fitness journey a few years ago. In any case, I need programs that can work offline as some of the places I end up going to for work don't have any internet or even mobile phone access.

In any case, I've been able to find almost all the foods with these programs or at least close approximations. Sometimes you'll find generic entries for certain foods which might help. For example, instead of looking for "Lays" crisps, you might be able to find "potato chips".

I wouldn't too much about saying "crap" in the forums - "f^%$" and "s@#$" on the other hand, might be a different story altogether though!

Hope you're all safe and sound after the storm.

weetamclan 09-17-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galaxy (Post 131188)

Sounds like a right cow!

Am exactly the same re feeling bloated, despite counting calories and passing things up :o I've had a lot of potato this week and meals out so hoping that's the reason. Going to try and reduce starchy carbs next week and see if it helps...

I suppose I think if I pass up a biscuit or something, I deserve to lose 2lbs immediately!

thebestme 09-17-2010 11:38 AM

As others have said, let Ms Thing be the fire that motivates you. Which you do! So awesome. I believe I heard a podcast where Craig said he felt a bit silly coming and going so quickly and doing his thing but hey, he was busy and it worked! So we will see who stands talk soon. I guarantee people will start approaching you soon.

On the bloaty thing. Do what you can to address your diet. For me, Paleo low carb has really helped a lot! But I still have my days. Mostly, I love the slim days.

galaxy 09-17-2010 07:17 PM

Thanks thanks thanks

Wow thanks so much you guys, really really appreciate your support. I know now that I need to get on here as often as I can as it really does lift my mood. It's so good talking to others that have gone through or are going through the same journey as you.

Thanks you for all taking the time for finding out the on line calorie counters too, I will look them up and see which one works the best for me. It seems that logging your food and tracking has been a key factor in your success. Hey betty fantastic weight loss, that's amazing.

You guys rock !!

Cheers everyone

Katie

pageboy9 09-18-2010 01:10 PM

Confession time!

Um, how do I put this, I'm not very nice in the gym. Something about the mirrors, the equipment, the metal (they usually play the "Boneyard" or "Octane" sirius/xm satellite music stations where I work out, heavy metal for lifting heavy metal) brings out the competitive, self absorbed, mirror loving narcissist in me. However, smile and say "Hi" to me and the real Catherine can't wait to come out and talk to you. If you stick with TT and find the way of eating that works for you long term, you will become the most confident, yes even powerful presence in the gym. When that day comes, remember the people who made you roll your eyes in annoyance, and try to remember to smile and say a quick hello to the people you're working out with. Frankly I'm always scared that the young guys in the gym will think I'm a cougar or something. "Sigh". I guess I'm better off if they think I'm a snob. Double sigh. No, better to completely stop thinking about what other people think of me.
In other news, I really enjoyed your post. Yes, yes, yes, you can go from the middle aged silhouette to something much younger and finer looking in just 12 weeks. I've noticed lately that Craig has been mentioning in his podcasts and interviews that most winners didn't rock the contest on their first attempt. It took me a full four weeks before I got up to speed and started to transform. These are permanent changes you're after so there is sometimes a period of paying your dues. Always remember that the greater the apparent obstacles you face the more inspiring your success will be, and believe me so many women don't think they can do it! I urge you to stay in it, have fun, and cheerfully prove them wrong! As far as total pounds lost on the TT journey, I went from 155 to 119, and I am now an official candidate for the National Weight Control Registry, as I've kept more that 30 pounds off for over a year. As for nutrition, yes, I used ESE. Usually one fast a week over the last 4-6 weeks of the contests I placed in. Best advice? Eat your vegetables!

hotchocolate 09-18-2010 02:38 PM

Catherine that was a great reply and useful to us all :-)

Katie every gym has one of those - rise above it - you will get there soon but with the benefit of still being a nice person!

galaxy 09-19-2010 05:17 PM

not so good yesterdy

Hi guys

after all your wonderfuld responses and great inspiriation. I still managed to go off the rails a bit yesterday.

I was hungry all day, did my workout in the morning and then went home and ate most of the day, it was healthy stuff to begin with, but as the day progressed it led into not so healthy stuff!

anyhow, today I don't feel very good about it at all, so I need to wipe the slate clean and have a really good few days.

My plan for today is not to have any carbs apart from my fruit/vegetables, I am hoping that I can put right some of the damage I did yesterday.

My meals are planned for the day:

breakfast: porridge

mid mornign - banana
/raw carrots

lunch - chicken/salad

afternoon - raw carrtos again, and maybe some pineapple

dinner: stir fry vegs and chicken

very low fat yoghurt

not sure if I am going to feel hungry on this but I need to stick with it, as I know I will feel better tomorrow.

also heading to the gym later today to do workout B from jTTK5.

will pop in again later.

Cheers Katie

hotchocolate 09-20-2010 04:29 AM

katie id always try to have some protein with your yog - unless its greek then the protein countis pretty low and adding in some nuts/seed setc will help with the hunger levels :-)

galaxy 09-20-2010 04:46 AM

Thanks hot chocolate, I guess I am trying to keep the calories low and conscious that nuts have a lot of of them, so try to avoid them. But you are right, the protein in low fat yogh is very low.

The only greek yog they do here is full fat or lite, but even the lite one is high.

It seems that protein is a key ingredient to losing weight, but strangely when I used fitness pa today for the first time it actually show my protein for the day in red, which I am guessing means I had too much?

but maybe that means I didn;t have enough?

Cheers for your reply

I actually really like what you are eating it seems similar to what I could eat and still be OK and not feel hungy.

Katie

jenniferlynne76 09-20-2010 09:02 AM

Hey there, Katie -
Hope you're feeling better and are getting back on track. Seems the two of us could both use a "reset" button, eh?

So, one thing I noticed in your meal plan is the amount of fruit/veg that you're eating without any protein or fat to accompany it. Keep an eye on that. For me, I have to combine my carbs (and fruits and veggies are typically the only ones I eat) with a protein or fat to keep from getting a blood sugar spike/crash, which inevitably results in cravings for sweets and more food in general. This could be what's making you feel so hungry all of the time. So, for example, here's your plan and what I might add to it to help balance things out a bit:

breakfast: porridge (add a tablespoon or two of nut butter or a scoop of whey protein, OR accompany with some egg whites or whole eggs)

mid morning - banana/raw carrots (add a piece of string cheese OR cottage cheese, ORa few slices of lean deli meat OR a small handful of nuts. Also, bananas are VERY high in sugar. I actually can't eat them at all as a fruit choice...)

lunch - chicken/salad (looks great as is!)

afternoon - raw carrtos again, and maybe some pineapple (add any of the options suggested above for your mid-morning snack. And, again, pineapple is VERY high in sugar. This is another fruit I have to watch out for...)

dinner: stir fry vegs and chicken (awesome choice!)

very low fat yoghurt (I'd go with the low fat Greek yogurt. In fact, it's the only kind I eat...)

In general, I think you could do well to add more protein to your plan, and probably a little more healthy fat, as well. Venture to say that as it stands you're not taking in more than 800 or so calories based on what you have listed here...that's unless your portion sizes are massive. And that's 800 calories of mostly carbs. No one would be able to go for long on that. If you added in some of the options suggested above you'd be sitting closer to 1200 calories a day of very balanced food. I think you'd find you feel much better and would have more success keeping control of your urges to eat other, less healthy options. ;-)

Good luck to you and let us know if we can be of more help!

-Jen

RobB 09-20-2010 11:18 AM

Hi Rob

have been reading your posts and see that you are doing TTK6. I have been working through the manual and am 2 weeks into the TTK5, so K6 will be my next workout. After reading your posts I am scared! It looks like hell!!

I will have to have a look at some of the exercises as I am not familiar with them, but it sounds really hard work, but hey I am up for it,.

Are you adding in other workouts as well? as you mentioned something about your Core workout?

keep up the great work. I will let you know when I start TK6 and see how I get on!

Cheers Katie

Hi Katie,
I just finished 2k6. I usually do a program for 4 weeks, then switch. I think you will like 2k6, although you don't need to follow those right down the line, unless you want to. ( They are all great, though )...Workout B for me, was the most difficult, but then, they are supposed to be that way. I found out a long time ago, that what looks easy on paper, NEVER is !!!! As far as the "Carve your Core" workout. That was designed by Craig, for Men's Health and I found it on the Men's Health website. I have been doing that on Saturdays. I usually will do an interval program (BW) or something of that sort , on my off days.......my other favoites are the BW workout and the TT Abs workouts from the January 2007 TT for Fat Loss program.........Hope this answers your question.....Have fun with 2k6 !!!!!!!!!!! Drop by any time.... Rob;)

galaxy 09-20-2010 08:54 PM

Hi Jen

thanks for much for your advice, I really appreciate it. I never really thought about bananas & pineapple being high in sugar but I guess you are right. I like bananas as they are easy, no messing, no peeling they are the sort of food you can travel with, grab and go. Pineapple is very sweet, but it satisfies my sweet tooth. but like you say still high in sugar!

I take on board what you are saying about more protein, it seems to be a common theme on here that most people are eating around 100g of lean protein, this is something I need to work on I think.

In all honestly I was hungry yesterday and am today, but not sure if that's because I have been eating too much in the past!

although to be fair for some strange reason I can seem to maintain my weight when I am not trying to lose any! It's only when I decide I want to lose weight, that I seem to put it on or struggle to lose it! Oh the body is a bizzare thing.

You have had a tremondous weight loss so far, so you have obviously been doing something right, I will really try harder to increase my protein and eat alternative fruits.

thanks again

Katie

galaxy 09-20-2010 09:03 PM

Hi Rob,

thanks for the reply. It's great to get ideas from others on what to do on 'off' days, I always get stuck and just end up doing the next TT workout I should be doing. Effectively this means I am doing TT at least 4 times a week sometimes 5, not sure if this is rights.

I don;t have a problem when I have a proper off day as am usually doing stuff with the kids so that's cool as it's all time consuming and I don't worry about anything else.

I will take a look through the workouts on here and see if there is one I can do on my non offical TT day.

cheers for your help Katie

evenstar74 09-20-2010 11:36 PM

Hi Katie-
Thought I'd chime in here and encourage you to eat more protein and fat too. They will both keep you feeling fuller, so you won't crave the not so healthy foods (as much.. not sure I ever lose the cravings entirely :p).
I don't worry about which fruits have more sugar, but I also almost never eat fruit as a snack without also eating nuts (weighed to keep calories under control) or greek yogurt (higher in protein) or string cheese.

Keep working at it, you can do this!

antoheion 09-21-2010 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evenstar74 (Post 131606)
Hi Katie-
Thought I'd chime in here and encourage you to eat more protein and fat too. They will both keep you feeling fuller, so you won't crave the not so healthy foods (as much.. not sure I ever lose the cravings entirely :p).
I don't worry about which fruits have more sugar, but I also almost never eat fruit as a snack without also eating nuts (weighed to keep calories under control) or greek yogurt (higher in protein) or string cheese.

Keep working at it, you can do this!

You are so right about protein&fat!!
Don't worry about the sugar in fruit, you simply can't eat too much in order to get fat. Just eat clean stuff and stay within your calorie limits. Depending on your BW, you would need to eat somewhere between 20-30 bananas a day to gain weight (assuming it would be the only thing you eat), so don't worry that much!
Stay strong,
Ion

wsarwani 09-21-2010 05:12 AM

Ditto what everyone has been saying about protein with every meal and snack!