PDA

View Full Version : Mich's Post-Beach Blubber Burn

mich.h
01-02-2010, 05:40 AM
Well, I'm back from hols & I had a fantastic time with my hubby & son.

I was pictionary for holiday fat-gain.........too much food, too much alcohol (5 alcoholic drinks over a week is too much for me.....I usually have 5 per year!), too many desserts & way too much icecream..... way more than my lactose-intolerant tum could handle anyway!! LOL.

I sweated buckets, so I was able to drink my 3-4L of water per day & I did manage to squeeze in 5 workouts over the week..........thanks TT hotel room workouts! Everyday I had a body part that was sore........abs one day, quads the next, then chest & back & arms???? I thought that with the heat, I should be able to recover more quickly???

Had a deep tissue massage on the second last day..........hubby couldn't believe it. He came back from a snorkelling trip to find out that I had changed my mind about the relaxation massage to the Oriental massage.........deep tissue on back & shoulders & finished with a head massage to die for..........

My only peev (apart from all the guilty feelings about eating some off-plan foods).....found out on my last visit to the gym that you could get 5 or 10 visit passes that would save you $30! We've been going every Xmas for the last 5 years & it's the first time we've heard about this!! My hubby & I would easily go thru a 10 visit pass! Lucky I did a couple of my workouts in the hotel room..............saved some dough there!

Started 2K4 before hols & will resume that this week. Did some kettlebell workouts from TT Kettlebell for fatloss today.........will I be sore tomorrow??? .........So, yes, my hubby bought me 'cowbells' for xmas.......yippee........definitely will do a KB workout when I finish 2K4.

Still confused about the whole food issue. When I calculate the cals according to fatloss.com, it's something like 1530.........that seems too much for me? I'm so over being on a 'diet'.........I think I have been on some sort of diet for over 23 years now??? There has to be an easier way to break free of the 'diet' mentality & lose fat????

Anyway..........I'm doing TC7 unofficially this time...........no photos, no essay for me, but I'll still work towards making some positive changes!

Good luck to all those 'competing'............TC6 finalists were phenomenal!

Mich.
Vic.AUSTRALIA

RobB
01-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Think I found your mistake, mich.h..........

My only peev (apart from all the guilty feelings about eating some off-plan foods).....

Probably should read...........some off-plan(t)..... foods).....VEGGIES!

Looks like you had a great holiday...........good luck in TC7

ma
01-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Hi Mitch,
So nice to have the good humour girl back!!!!!!!!

Holidays sound like you had a lot of fun and good eats........

Have fun with the contest and we will be talking you through it,...

Cheers,
Ma

mich.h
01-07-2010, 03:33 AM
Thanks guys............had TOO good a time me thinks..........judging by the Donut king roll around my mid-drift & the fact that my work pants feel a fatty-tad too tight for my liking!

Started 2K4 this week properly & I've been sore.........which is welcomed! Like CB, I think I hate Bulgarian Split Squats, but will just darn well do them! Had a 15minute break between sets this morning because my son decided to have a mini-breakdown over the whole going to creche thing..........I was a bit annoyed, but I have to get my priorities right don't I?

My nutrition is going to be different. I'm going to eat what I feel like..........nothing off limits, but going to concentrate on wholefoods. It probably sounds bizarre, but the days of low carb, no carb, protein & fat-only chowing days are over. They made no difference whats-so-ever to my telly-tubby shape & only chipped away at my energy levels & mind! Now that I have 'told' my brain that I CAN have ANYTHING I like............low & behold.........I don't particularly want junk food?????

We'll see how it all pans out for me............

Mich.
Vic.AUSTRALIA

KittyR
01-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi Mitch.

I just started 2K4 this week. And you are right about the sore part! :D

Congratulations on getting some workouts in during your holiday. I am interested in how your new approach to your food works out. I have heard that counting calories is unnecessary if you center your diet around whole foods. I feel more comfortable doing my OCD calorie counting thing now, but hope to be able to be more relaxed in my eating at some point. I've never been able to keep to any kind of low-carb thing.

RobB
01-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Post Beach Blubber Burn???? Good luck, mich.h!!!!!!!!

run26neys
01-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Hey Mich,
Love the eating plan! Keep it clean and you should do fine.
Jori

mich.h
01-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi Mitch.

I just started 2K4 this week. And you are right about the sore part! :D

Congratulations on getting some workouts in during your holiday. I am interested in how your new approach to your food works out. I have heard that counting calories is unnecessary if you center your diet around whole foods. I feel more comfortable doing my OCD calorie counting thing now, but hope to be able to be more relaxed in my eating at some point. I've never been able to keep to any kind of low-carb thing.

Soreness overload in the glutes Kitty!! You too? My butt cheeks seem to be perpetually aching each day??? Can you strain a butt muscle or two? LOL.

mich.h
01-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Post Beach Blubber Burn???? Good luck, mich.h!!!!!!!!

I do feel for you Rob with the weather there.........don't let your appendages freeze off! LOL.

mich.h
01-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Hey Mich,
Love the eating plan! Keep it clean and you should do fine.
Jori

Thanks for the support Jori!

Well..........so far with my 'eat whatever I feel like plan'.........today:

M1. Syntrax Caribbean Cooler Protein smoothie with water & ice. 1 Peach, 1 Nectarine. 1 Walnut. Blk coffee.
M2. Big handful of almonds, macadamias, walnut halves (a mix of). 1/2 punnet organic strawberries. 25g Beef jerky (one American snack I really enjoy!) Hell......there's probably a lot of US snacks my greedy tum would enjoy........lucky I don't have great exposure to them!
M3. Monster salad (spinach, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, yellow capsicum, cucumber & beetroot), lime juice & dijon mustard. Topped with a sanitarium lentil patty......Finished off with 4 Kardena's/CB's Vegan choc truffles.........popped them in the freezer for an hour beforehand.....just like a ball of solid chocolate!

Last night we had dinner out with friends & I thought........hmmm.......I can eat ANYTHING! What I chose was a cajun chicken salad with the dressing on the side..........chased it with a small cup of pistachio gelati (hot & humid in Melbourne at the moment). That's not an excuse, it's just a fact..........I wanted it & decided to eat it! Could have gone the calzone & dark chocolate fudge pudding, but that's not what I felt like. It sounds weird, but since I have stopped 'mentally' & 'physically' depriving myself by being on a constant 'diet', I feel more empowered to make better choices because I'm not missing out on anything.......

Fingers crossed that the results will follow??

Mich.
Vic.AUSTRALIA

P.S. You would think with my diet resume, (WW, Jenny Craig, Rosemary Conley, Proven Fat Loss Plan,Isobel del Rios's Advanced Fat Loss Plan Empowered Nutrition, CYWT, ESE, a bodybuilding-type Aussie diet, The Metabolic Typing Diet, The Paleo Diet, Dr.Mohr's, Red Carpet Ready Diet, Symply to be Good to be True recipes/meal plans), I should know what the heck to eat by now? LOL.............The sad thing is, this list is just the last 2 years! I've been on a freaking diet for 23 years!

ma
01-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Hey Mitch,

I love the way you have taken charge of your eating, everything in
moderation!!!!!!! Good for you...

Don't get too cheeky with Rob, LOL....

Had a laugh at all the different diet plans you listed......
Too bad you can't talk to your Mum, not good to bug someone to try something they are not willing to do..

Good Luck Mitch,
Cheers
Ma

mich.h
01-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks Ma. I'm shattered when I think of the money I've spent on all those programs! TT is the only program (even though it's not nutritional per se) is the only one that has been cost-effective! TT saves me buying other expensive exercise programs or hiring a personal trainer! Just got to get the nutrition to be second nature..........like TT & like brushing my teeth! LOL.

Decided to do my virtual rider dvd this morning on the spin bike..........one hour of sweat. Looked liked an unattractive, purple-faced wet t-shirt contestant by the end of it! LOL. It felt awesome to get thru it, but then 10mins later had one of those throbbing post-exertion headaches........not cool!

Re-hydrated & had breakkie........chocolate-coconut green smoothie (thanx to Kardena) & an apple........

Mich.
Vic.AUSTRALIA

run26neys
01-09-2010, 08:26 PM
You crack me up! Love your descriptions of things :-)
Jori

fiona ransom
01-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Hey Mich

I agree throw out all the diet plans, eat good food in moderation. I spent the first half of 2009 freaking out about every little things I stuck in my mouth and went to a dietitian once a month and all it amounted to was stress. I stopped stressing ate well and well it all worked out in the end.

I am enjoying summer in Aus though, plenty of salads and fresh fruit.

Good luck

ma
01-14-2010, 02:10 AM
Doing great Mitch. Lets keep it going girl..

Cheers
Ma

mich.h
01-14-2010, 04:01 AM
Thanks Fiona & Ma for all the positive vibes...........keep sending them!

Sort of did ESE today, only because after TT 2K4 workout B this morning, I had no appetite & then I couldn't be bothered preparing anything for lunch........just took a banana. So I had that 22hrs into the 'fast' & have just finished dinner etc now. I don't know about anybody else, but I'm not hungry unless I START eating, then there is no stopping me normally. I don't have that feeling of 'fullness' that you are supposed to have..........I could out-eat any bloke 3 times my size I reckon!

Maybe that's my calling...........I should travel the world entering eating competitions!

Anyway, on to a more serious issue...........saw the endocrinologist today & she had more depressing news for me. Apparently I have a "major metabolic defect".........my thyroid medication doesn't work & I have to try something else instead, but it's a long shot.....otherwise I am stuck with my "abdominal obesity"...........I just wanted to cry!

Nevertheless, I'm not one of those women to be content being obese & letting it all hang out (like Rob's avatars!), so I'll just keep motoring along with the exercise & moderation with my food!

Mich.
Vic.AUSTRALIA

RobB
01-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Well, 2k4 is a tough workout.........Dont ever give up. Things have a way of working themselves out!!!!! AND everyone is different............Take care........Rob

adornier
01-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Hey Mich, I am with you on all those diets. You just have to find the right balance for you really and I think that you're on your way there.

Hang in there with the new doctor findings. You have a great attitude towards it and that is what's going to give you success.

Have fun!

fiona ransom
01-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Hey Mich

Great attitude. The mind is a powerful thing you know

:)

mich.h
01-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks Rob, Anna & Fiona............I am motivated, which is not what people with my condition should be apparently! LOL. So hopefully some of the other symptoms like "obesity, visceral adiposity (mega spare tyre!), lethargy, reduced bone density, decreased lean muscle mass, decreased muscle strenght, increased body fat, high blood lipids & a significant increase in the likelihood of cardiovascular disease" also don't apply!!

My doc reckons I should be obese. Whilst I am around 27-29% BF, I am 123lbs & 5ft.3in (158cm).............there............I finally weighed myself after Xmas & didn't collapse in shock at the weight! I thought I would be bigger than that & TT will keep me from becoming obese! My doc was impressed that I do exercise...........that was one positive that came out of her mouth.........she was really pleased. TT (in my situation) is obviously great to maintain bone mass & improve muscle strength & keep my weight in check............so I ain't stopping now!

One thing she did say was to cut back on the intervals until I get my HR under control. I don't have palpitations at rest but HR does go quite high when I exercise (sometimes up to 190) I'm 35yo, so max is 185? I'm a bit annoyed about it & I'm tempted just to ignore her on that point............am I being stupid? I didnt do my regulation spin class this morning, instead I walked 100mins (10.5km) on the treadmill & I was bored as bat-poo!

What to do?

Mich.
Vic.AUSTRALIA

fiona ransom
01-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Hi Mich

Didn't get ross river fever but got a nasty stomach bug on day4 from my drinking tubes. In fact insects were good until the last day of the race where we nearly got carried away by the flys at Murrabit.

I have to plan ahead as it keeps me motivated plus it lets me husband know not to go away camping.

mmmm - I agree why would you take the camera - who knows, I am betting he brings it back with no pics on it.

run26neys
01-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Hey Mich,
Hang in there on the Thyroid issues. What have you been taking that isn't working and what is the alternative therapy going to be?
Just curious and if you don't want to answer or if you want to PM back to me, that's cool. I am taking Synthroid now. It is currently working better than Levothyroxine. However, I am not fully convinced that Armour Thyroid wouldn't be better for me. Just not sure if I can get my Endocrinologist to prescribe it.
Jori

mich.h
01-15-2010, 12:38 AM
Hey Mich,
Hang in there on the Thyroid issues. What have you been taking that isn't working and what is the alternative therapy going to be?
Just curious and if you don't want to answer or if you want to PM back to me, that's cool. I am taking Synthroid now. It is currently working better than Levothyroxine. However, I am not fully convinced that Armour Thyroid wouldn't be better for me. Just not sure if I can get my Endocrinologist to prescribe it.
Jori

I reckon you'd have real trouble getting the endo to prescribe Armour.......the dose you get per 'tablet' can vary because of manufacture & then it's an animal product (usually from pigs) so you run the risk of picking up a nasty virus or two!........stuff like CJD (mad cow disease)! They say it's all sterile or whatever, but then if they use excessive methods to sterilise the stuff, then you wonder how much active hormone will survive the sterilisation process? I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!

I did try & send you a private long-ass message.......hope you got it!

Yep.........my tablets are about as useful as a fish-net condom! And I hate relying on doctor's to sort me out.........

And Fiona.......let me know what pics come out of that camera........might be 'Blair Witch Project' sort of stuff? LOL.............or knowing boys (of any age), there will be pics of dirty toe nails, or weird shaped sticks & stubby lids!

Mich.
Vic.AUSTRALIA

ma
01-15-2010, 01:51 AM
Wow that Amour sounds wicked, definitely stay away from that one!!!!!!

Actually I know diddly about thyroid meds, but you and Jori have both had
that problem and I know it is miserable dealing with it.....

mich.h
01-15-2010, 05:50 AM
Wow that Amour sounds wicked, definitely stay away from that one!!!!!!

Actually I know diddly about thyroid meds, but you and Jori have both had
that problem and I know it is miserable dealing with it.....

No better than Crohn's disease.........I know what you have to go thru with meds, hospital visits & never ending tummy cramps etc............ & that's miserable!

Mich.
Vic.AUSTRALIA

mich.h
01-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Well it's the day after 2k4 (workout A) & I'm sore in a good way. Didn't do intervals per se (because I'm not supposed to get my HR to spin out of control), but did some 2-handed KB swings........so my knees are sore? What am I doing wrong with those? The first time I did them, it hurt so bad in the butt (good), the second time, I had terrible lower back pain (bad), now my knees are sore?

Nutrition has been ok, a few extras here & there.......I'm conscious of them though & I know I have to nip that habit in the bud!

I'm trying something new too........actually eating something small before my workouts.....I'm so used to doing everything in the morning on an empty stomach.......I'm beginning to wonder if I'm just eating into my muscles (what little teeny, tiny ones I have!), rather than tapping into the endless fat stores?

This morning took my little Prickly for a 45min walk.........poor thing was struggling in the end. He just kept looking up at me with big brown eyes........with that "can you pick me up & carry me look"? I feel so lazy not doing heavy duty intervals in between TT........maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised with the cut back of exercise to just TT 3xper week??

Mich.
Vic.AUSTRALIA

fiona ransom
01-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Hey Mich

Good work on the training.

I don't generally preach, but what I do say to everyone that come to my gym classes is that you need to have something before you train. You need to make sure you have some fuel in the tank and that you are not going to jeopardize you session. Also straight after a workout you need to get some carbs and protein into you so you don't waste that workout you have just done. By doing this I noticed rapid fat loss over a 8 week period.

That's just me though so please don't take this as gospel.

My 8 year old hates walking with me too so I can sympathize with the dog. LOL :)

run26neys
01-19-2010, 09:05 PM
You definitely need something in you before & after the w/o. I just read an article on this in one of my copies of Oxygen Magazine. You need some protein before and protein/carbs after. About a 3:1 mix carbs to protein after.

Jori

mich.h
01-20-2010, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the tips Fiona & Jori.

I'm going to give the extra food before & after TT a go, because I've basically NEVER done it before.........always a dribble of black coffee & that's it! And hey, I'm never going to say no to extra food! LOL.

Mich.
Vic.AUSTRALIA

P.S. Fiona..........I can't stand taking the 5yo son for a walk with me either.........it's just like Chopper Reed ......whinge, whinge, whinge all the way........soooooo painful! At least the dog can't talk!

fiona ransom
01-20-2010, 12:58 AM
I am laughing so hard at my desk i nearly snorted. I never thought of Chopper as a comparison to a small whinging child, but you are right. What makes me laugh is my son was at the finish line when i ran my first marathon and he was so pumped up that he wanted to start running with me. I think we got 500m down the road and he asked if he could go home and get his scooter. LOL.

Thanks for the laugh

fratermaui
01-20-2010, 01:33 AM
Hi Mich

My name is Sam, from up Nth QLD

I really enjoy reading your post mate, keep em commin!!

Ive also had problems with diet, at the moment Im hitting 8 glasses of wheatgrass per day (yes it does taste as bad as it looks!!) but when I get one glass into me before I eat it does stop me from overeating and also stops any suger cravings I have. Have you tried it??

Keep up the great work! Sam

RobB
01-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Well it's the day after 2k4 (workout A) & I'm sore in a good way. Didn't do intervals per se (because I'm not supposed to get my HR to spin out of control), but did some 2-handed KB swings........so my knees are sore? What am I doing wrong with those? The first time I did them, it hurt so bad in the butt (good), the second time, I had terrible lower back pain (bad), now my knees are sore?

Nutrition has been ok, a few extras here & there.......I'm conscious of them though & I know I have to nip that habit in the bud!

I'm trying something new too........actually eating something small before my workouts.....I'm so used to doing everything in the morning on an empty stomach.......I'm beginning to wonder if I'm just eating into my muscles (what little teeny, tiny ones I have!), rather than tapping into the endless fat stores?

This morning took my little Prickly for a 45min walk.........poor thing was struggling in the end. He just kept looking up at me with big brown eyes........with that "can you pick me up & carry me look"? I feel so lazy not doing heavy duty intervals in between TT........maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised with the cut back of exercise to just TT 3xper week??

Mich.
Vic.AUSTRALIA

Are you doing the updated 2k4 that Craig had in his blog last week......??? Good additions/replacements it looked like!................

mich.h
01-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Hi Mich

My name is Sam, from up Nth QLD

I really enjoy reading your post mate, keep em commin!!

Ive also had problems with diet, at the moment Im hitting 8 glasses of wheatgrass per day (yes it does taste as bad as it looks!!) but when I get one glass into me before I eat it does stop me from overeating and also stops any suger cravings I have. Have you tried it??

Keep up the great work! Sam

Holy cow Sam..........8 glasses of wheatgrass? Have you ever seen Spongebob squarepants when he sprouts a green seaweed moustache? That's what I'm picturing right now! LOL. I haven't tried it myself but I went thru a phase of drinking GNC Maximum Greens (the original one) which is so bitter, I could almost feel my gall bladder wincing in pain! I was trying to be more 'alkaline'..........always trying something new.........but that phase was for the tip!

Good luck with the wheatgrass & your TT............

Mich.
Vic.AUSTRALIA

mich.h
01-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Are you doing the updated 2k4 that Craig had in his blog last week......??? Good additions/replacements it looked like!................

Hey Rob..........how's the snow blowing down your neck of the woods?

No, I didn't try CB's updates for 2K4..........was there a subst. exercise for bulgarian split squats, coz they're a killer! Just did the last workout B for the week & I will start a new TT in the couple of days..........I'm thinking Booty for life? I enjoy the pain after working my legs & butt. My hubby said all I need to do is run with his cricket pads on........hmmm........not sure what that would look like at the park? LOL.

Mich.
Vic.AUSTRALIA

RobB
01-20-2010, 06:37 PM

No, I didn't try CB's updates for 2K4..........was there a subst. exercise for bulgarian split squats, coz they're a killer! Just did the last workout B for the week & I will start a new TT in the couple of days..........I'm thinking Booty for life? I enjoy the pain after working my legs & butt. My hubby said all I need to do is run with his cricket pads on........hmmm........not sure what that would look like at the park? LOL.

Mich.
Vic.AUSTRALIA

Some of the newest workouts have the "1 and one half rep" themes...........they are a lot tougher that just the "one rep" theme...........you will feel that in the legs!!!! Oh, freezing rain is the name of the game today..........everything as far as events, school et.al. cancelled...............

fiona ransom
01-20-2010, 06:52 PM

Mich.
Vic.AUSTRALIA

Hey Michelle, you wouldn't necessarily look at of place running around with cricket pads on in Australia. I tell you it would be a hell of a workout and your quads and glutes and more than likely your hips will feel the pain. If you like pain on the legs do 20sec squat 10sec hold, repeat that for 4 minutes.

ma
01-21-2010, 02:07 AM

Mich.
Vic.AUSTRALIA

Mitch, that is a good idea to eat before working out, at least an hour to 1 & 1/2hr before, just something small..not good to workout on empty stomach, no fuel.....

mich.h
01-29-2010, 08:33 PM
It's been a while since posting............doesn't mean I've been slacking off on the TT.......just busy organising the 5yo's first day of school............wheeewww, the list of things that he needs is just ridiculous. Even more ridiculous, is the list of foodstuffs NOT allowed in their lunch boxes because of the risk to some children with allergies! No disrespect to those with kids that have allergies, but some fruits are banned, all nuts (that's obvious), but also ALL soy products & things containing soy, all dairy & ALL legumes??? Too bad if you want to pack chickpeas or kidney beans, any form of treat bar, piece of cheese & these days, nearly every sandwich filler contains soy or dairy............looks like vegemite is going to get a good run this year!

Anyway, that's my gripe for the day! Did a kick-my-arse TT KB for fatloss workout this morning & I had loads of energy afterwards! Not complaining..........first time in a long time I have been this energetic..........baffling, coz I still have an untreated thyroid prob? Cleaned the dunnies, did some washing, some baking & cleaned kitchen from top to bottom.

ETA of crash & burn on the couch...........2pm this arvo!

Mich.
Vic.AUSTRALIA

powelj1
01-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Hi Mich,
I have a 5 year old daughter and it is a lot of work having them go to school especially with the food restrictions. Good luck with your new adventures and sounds like your workouts are going well.

Keep up the great work!

Jamie