PDA

View Full Version : Best Transformation Tips?

Craig Ballantyne
01-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Hey!

Here's a question to all current and past transformers...

What are your best transformation tips that you can give to other folks?

(Doesn't matter if the tips are beginner or advanced.)

I think this would be a great place to share!

Craig

leefjl
01-02-2009, 05:30 PM
I think I would start by saying that you need to look beyond just the current 12 weeks of transformation.

1. Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition. Keep a log of your daily food (Sparkpeople/Fitday). And don't lie!! If you nibble on half a cookie make sure to list it. Make it public so others and see what you're eating and make comments.

2. If you don't have a lot of fat to lose then I would go in a muscle building phase for maybe the first 8 weeks then fat lost for the last 4 weeks. But this really depends on the individual.

3. Get active in the forum. If you're feeling down then come here as say it. Just get on here and you'll find plenty of support. Don't try to do it by yourself.

4. Don't crash diet!!! That's a short term solution.

5. Get plenty of rest. It way too easy to overtrain. Especially during the first couple of weeks.

6. Email all your family/friends and let them know what you're doing. This helps when you're at a gathering. They know what you're up to and hopefully won't sabotage you. Also it really a good way motivator to finish the transformation.

chinkle
01-02-2009, 07:37 PM
I would also add posting on Twitter! Not only does it help keep you accountable, it also helps knowing that a lot of other TT members are out there "listening" and it keeps your day fun and interesting (which may keep your hand out of the proverbial cookie jar)

Craig Ballantyne
01-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Great stuff!

Who else has some tips on sticking with it?

What about tips on helping some folks to get out of bed early in the morning to do their program?

lizanneh
01-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Well, if you can't get out of bed early in the morning for your workout...DON'T! Some people are great at getting up and working out in the morning. If you're not, consider trying to work out at night instead. The best workout schedule is the one that works for YOU.

fernandopolania
01-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Start with one change at a time. Diet cola instead of regular cola. 2% then 1% then skim milk instead of whole milk. Broccoli with cheese if you can't stand broccoli, then gradually ddecrease the cheese until you're just eating broccoli. Steamed broccoli tastes better than raw, at least to me. Fresh lime juice makes anything taste better, even vegetables. Crystal light mixed with water if you don't like plain water. Eventually you'll like plain water. Fat free mayo instead of regular mayo.

This is a lifestyle not just 12 weeks. Wish all the best.

Hope this helps.

tabithabynum
01-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Start with one change at a time. Diet cola instead of regular cola. 2% then 1% then skim milk instead of whole milk. Broccoli with cheese if you can't stand broccoli, then gradually ddecrease the cheese until you're just eating broccoli. Steamed broccoli tastes better than raw, at least to me. Fresh lime juice makes anything taste better, even vegetables. Crystal light mixed with water if you don't like plain water. Eventually you'll like plain water. Fat free mayo instead of regular mayo.

Hope this helps.

Oh, these are great tips! It's so hard for someone who has been eating badly all their life to go "cold turkey" all at once & eat clean. But take one step at a time & anyone can do it.

Good stuff.

Tabitha

Craig Ballantyne
01-02-2009, 11:18 PM
great tips.

I've been eating broccoli all of my life because as a kid I used to drown it in butter. Over the years I've pulled the butter off, and now I even eat it raw.

Baby steps are the way to go for long term changes!

Hope this helps.

Urzay
01-03-2009, 08:45 AM
I agree with all of you ~ baby steps, otherwise too much change straight up may be a great way to stray as that is not what we want, so take it one day at a time.
1. Always picture yourself the way you want to look and feel.
2. Self affirmation is also great if you can do this, it takes practice to even remember to do this. Place cards and/or sticky notes in car, handbag, briefcase, bathroom, front door, back door, anywhere you look regularly, all of them reminding you to stay focused and remember what you want to look and feel like when you reach your goal. Can't hurt, the worst it can doo is look a bit untidy, isn't that worth looking and feeling great.
3. Maybe place some sticky notes onto the fridge and pantry that say things like I don't need that junk & have a water instead, that is if you like to munch on bad snacks like alot of us do/did.
Well there's my views
Cheers

grrpurr75
01-03-2009, 10:18 AM
STICK WITH IT no matter HOW many times you slip up, cheat, forget to work out, whatever... EVENTUALLY you will adopt and stick with the changes permanently! Better losing weight & fat slowly but surely, then messing up, giving up, and staying unhealthy! Heck it took me 8-9 weeks outta the last 12 to get in and STAY in the groove!! hehe

Craig Ballantyne
01-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Never, ever give up! So true!

STICK WITH IT no matter HOW many times you slip up, cheat, forget to work out, whatever... EVENTUALLY you will adopt and stick with the changes permanently! Better losing weight & fat slowly but surely, then messing up, giving up, and staying unhealthy! Heck it took me 8-9 weeks outta the last 12 to get in and STAY in the groove!! hehe

Craig Ballantyne
01-03-2009, 03:04 PM
great tips!

I agree with all of you ~ baby steps, otherwise too much change straight up may be a great way to stray as that is not what we want, so take it one day at a time.
1. Always picture yourself the way you want to look and feel.
2. Self affirmation is also great if you can do this, it takes practice to even remember to do this. Place cards and/or sticky notes in car, handbag, briefcase, bathroom, front door, back door, anywhere you look regularly, all of them reminding you to stay focused and remember what you want to look and feel like when you reach your goal. Can't hurt, the worst it can doo is look a bit untidy, isn't that worth looking and feeling great.
3. Maybe place some sticky notes onto the fridge and pantry that say things like I don't need that junk & have a water instead, that is if you like to munch on bad snacks like alot of us do/did.
Well there's my views
Cheers

barnhill
01-03-2009, 05:41 PM
It think that the mind has a big part in anyone achieving their goals. So you need to believe that you can do the changes, if you don't you won't!! If you keep telling yourself it's too hard, I can't do it, you won't and you will never be able to change. Like the quote: "What the mind can conceive, you can achieve"

Craig Ballantyne
01-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Mindset is key. Everyone must truly believe in themselves. And you should. Because you can!

AlexB
01-04-2009, 01:25 AM
Mindset is key. Everyone must truly believe in themselves. And you should. Because you can!

So true ! -

miller0807
01-04-2009, 02:59 PM
I also think you can't stress the accountability enough either - the more people you tell you are doing the contest, the more people you will have asking when they can see the before/after pictures. When you know that that day is coming up, it does motivate you a lot more! It is temporary, and the other tips are much better long-term, but I needed that potentially embarrassing moment (of showing after pics that had no change) to get me through my first 10 lbs or so. Now it is about much more than that, as I have seen results and love it, but that kept me going in the beginning until my own drive kicked in.

Craig Ballantyne
01-04-2009, 04:33 PM
another great tip, thanks!

fernandopolania
01-04-2009, 09:30 PM
This tip is about interval training. You can buy an interval timer online. I think Craig mentioned mygymoss as one. If you have an Iphone they have interval timer apps for a couple of bucks or you can use a free online interval timer if you do your intervals near a computer. Here's the link. I'm not affilated with them I just use it and find it helpful.

free online interval timer link (http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer.html)

leefjl
01-04-2009, 09:53 PM
That's a good one Fernando!!

Craig Ballantyne
01-04-2009, 10:24 PM
yeah, finally getting a gymboss has added a great new element to my training. so cheap too.

leefjl
01-04-2009, 10:38 PM
yeah, finally getting a gymboss has added a great new element to my training. so cheap too.

I'm getting one!! I was looking for something at Sports Authority but it was a no go.

cesium0122
01-04-2009, 10:49 PM
This may seem overly simple, but I think you have to really want to change your habits. REALLY. Want. To. Change. I asked my dad once why he didn't quit smoking even though he knew it was so bad for him. He said he didn't want to. It goes along with what everyone else has said about having the right mindset. More than believing you can do it, though, you have to want to do it. My dad believed he could quit smoking, he just didn't want to. (I say that in the past tense because our conversation was in the past, not because he has passed - and yes, he still smokes.)

greenlizard
01-04-2009, 11:28 PM

This has to be my number one "tip". Just keep going. Don't stop just because you missed a day or ate something bad. Even if you missed a decade or two and ate 10 tons of Whoppers, pick it up. Everyday is a freah start. Every minute. Never give up! Never Surrender!

I'm too new to have any other tips, except maynbe get support. Someone you are accountable to.

Craig Ballantyne
01-05-2009, 10:59 AM
You are right, that migth be best. Never stop!

matrix2pyro
01-05-2009, 03:02 PM
This is more so contest specific than general tip, but here it goes.

Post your before pics when you start the transformation. Taking the pic is one thing, but actually posting it takes it to a higher level. I think this is one of the biggest challenges that we face. It hurts to do, but it makes the contest entry more "real."

For me it seemed to make me feel more committed when I'm showing my actual picture. My attitude was that well this picture is out here now, there's no turning back.

grrpurr75
01-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Amen M2P, once people see the before pics, I CANT possibly look the same or worse afterwards!! Total motivation to keep pushing forward.

JustBoo
01-05-2009, 03:36 PM
This has to be my number one "tip". Just keep going. Don't stop just because you missed a day or ate something bad. Even if you missed a decade or two and ate 10 tons of Whoppers, pick it up. Everyday is a freah start. Every minute. Never give up! Never Surrender!

Quoted for truth. If you have a pulse, it's still "game on". Lifestyle changes are full circle, so never assume because one facet falls out of sync that you're done. Injure yourself and need to rest a few days (even a week)? Watch your nutrition, make sure you're getting enough sleep and rehab the injury properly. Sidelined is NOT out. It's merely hitting the pause button on the "how I bettered my life and myself" show.

My secret weapon in tough endeavours? Goal Posters. No, seriously...goal posters. Architects create drawings that display what they want the final product to be, and then beautiful buildings eventually stand. It's a powerful tool. The trickery of memory can be wicked. Having constant visual representation of what you desire and are striving for helps with focus. Goal posters have gotten me through the hurdles to every benchmark moment in the last 10 years.

Craig Ballantyne
01-05-2009, 03:55 PM
interesting...

do you have a picture of a goal poster? That's the same thing as what the "Secret" calls "Vision boards", right?

grrpurr75
01-05-2009, 04:31 PM
OH - dont know is this is what you mean by goal posters - but i can go hand in hand.. Make fun of me if you wish, but it WORKS - take pics of "bodies" you like, and stick your face on them, or at least cut them out and post around your mirrors or wherever you have to see it every day, SO much easier envisioning YOURSELF that way!!! Heck yeah!

JustBoo
01-05-2009, 04:53 PM
interesting...

do you have a picture of a goal poster? That's the same thing as what the "Secret" calls "Vision boards", right?

Yes. They go by different names, and often content/configuration, but it's always the same premise. Visual aid to train your brain. I have one that will literally be 10 years old next month. I pull it out every time I have an injury flare up. I'll grab a pic of it and post it as an example.

OH - dont know is this is what you mean by goal posters - but i can go hand in hand.. Make fun of me if you wish, but it WORKS - take pics of "bodies" you like, and stick your face on them, or at least cut them out and post around your mirrors or wherever you have to see it every day, SO much easier envisioning YOURSELF that way!!! Heck yeah!

You're on the money there. The point of the visual aid is to train your brain, or in short, to talk yourself into success. As cesium posted earlier, you have to want it first, but after you want it, you have to find a way to keep the inner fight when setbacks or roadblocks crop up.

canuckgal
01-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Use yourself as your own personal feedback system and an opportunity to strategize.

Dipped into the chocolate absentmindedly? (I'm raising my guilty hand here!!!) Look deeper at how you felt or what was going on at the time...bored, stressed, was it too "handy" and available right there? You will get the deep insight into the overall picture that you need to succeed. Write down or mentally note 3 alternatives as to what you would do differently next time, like calling a friend or sending an e mail, getting more snacks in of healthy stuff so you don't reach the point of ravenous hunger, etc. Then DO IT!

Also, self talk to yourself...like Thor said on the contest 4 board, think of it as "that is not me, I will not go there!" when tempted to binge, or not workout.

While I am not a religious person, there is a saying in the Bible that I have found to be true already in this TT contest..."...as a man thinketh in his heart, SO IS HE." So...think happy and "thin" and "strong" and "determined" thoughts, people! We can DO this!!!

Tina

run26neys
01-14-2009, 11:04 PM
I think that one step to success in transformation is changing your habits.

Exercise and good nutrition need to become habits. Positive mental state and moving to a can-do attitude need to become a habit. Once a goal (transformation) is achieved, then maintaining that state needs to become a habit and finally, not accepting status quo, but rather seeking continual improvement, needs to also become a habit.

If you haven't read The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People, it's good. Steven Covey maintains that habits consist of knowledge, skill and desire.

Craig and everyone in the group shares the knowledge on transformation - it's there to learn from. The skill is there in all of the work outs available to everyone.....and the desire is there in us all to change. That has given us the motivation to start in the transformation.

Continually seeking out new knowledge on health & fitness, imporving skills on how to achieve & maintain a healthy & fit lifestyle and keeping the desire (to be the best that one can be) alive need to become habit.

Craig Ballantyne
01-15-2009, 02:25 AM
Thats really great stuff!

wsarwani
01-15-2009, 05:39 AM
I think it all really begins with goal-setting. There are so many different programs, books and ideas out there which are essentially the same in their message (at the decent ones) - the difference seems to be the "packaging" and the way the concepts are presented. So choose whatever works for you and this might involve reading through or trying several different programs before one sticks. Some examples might include The 7-Habits (already mentioned in an earlier post), Awaken the Giant Within, The Secret, Magic 100 etc.

For me, podcasts - motivational, nutrition or exercise ones - really help to energize me and help me reconnect with my goals. Maybe it's the listening rather than reading that helps to hit the brain instantly. Again, whatever means it takes and what seems to work - everyone's different.

Another thing that has really helped me on this contest in particular, is that I am and being absolutely anal about writing everything down (I mean literally!). I always have a pen in my pocket, a little pocket notebook to record my food and not only am I writing what I eat but also when and where. Same goes for exercise and even what time I went to sleep and woke up. This then goes into my daily journal which I make a point to write up every night no matter what. While I don't always have time to
spend on the forums or even update every day, my daily journal must be written. This has provided me with a new level of accountability and the focus I needed...but like I said, this is what I felt I personally needed and it will largely depend on your own perception of how much effort you need to put to reach your own goals.

jonny_munro
04-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Hey, If i can offer some simple advice on top of all the other stuff (which are all great ideas) it would be to not go too hard. That may sound silly but what i mean is don't be so intense as to not let yourself have a little treat here and there or go way above and beyond with your workouts. If you go too hard at the start you may burn out. It's really hard to keep that sort of intensity up for 12 weeks and more importantly forever. Pace yourself. The program really works by itself, you don't need to add to it and improve it, or do 7 workouts a week etc. It's important to train well when you do train, but just be careful not to try and do much more, because eventually you'll run out of steam and that will make it really hard on yourself.
Jonny

Craig Ballantyne
04-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Awesome point! I agree!

Hey, If i can offer some simple advice on top of all the other stuff (which are all great ideas) it would be to not go too hard. That may sound silly but what i mean is don't be so intense as to not let yourself have a little treat here and there or go way above and beyond with your workouts. If you go too hard at the start you may burn out. It's really hard to keep that sort of intensity up for 12 weeks and more importantly forever. Pace yourself. The program really works by itself, you don't need to add to it and improve it, or do 7 workouts a week etc. It's important to train well when you do train, but just be careful not to try and do much more, because eventually you'll run out of steam and that will make it really hard on yourself.
Jonny

minexdy1013
04-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Great tips, Jonny!

Here is mine and it's a mouthful...

1) WATCH YOUR NUTRITION. DON'T FOCUS ON SCALE WEIGHT BUT FOCUS MORE ON MEASUREMENTS IF YOU CAN (BF, WAIST SIZE, ETC). AND IF YOU MESS UP HERE AND THERE - STAY POSITIVE. You can't beat yourself up if you ate too many, too less calories mid week. Just brush yourself off and keep on going. But stay true to your goals and refocus. If you want to gain mass with TT then you need to up your calories accordingly but eat the right foods and drop the junk - mass building is not an excuse to splurge on your nutrition. On the other side of the coin, if you can't enough then don't expect to gain mass. If you want to lose weight, don't expect any fat loss here if you're not keeping yourself at a calorie deficit either. It's all going to bottom down to proper nutrition here.

2) Set some achievable goals and truly want it. Week to week worked for me to a tee.

3) To the newcomers - stick to the programs as is.

4) To both old and new comers - Mix up your intervals - but stay within the frame of your chosen TT program. Don't rely on just one approach to doing your HIIT's. Treadmill intervals are the best but for variety's sake and to throw a good curve ball to your body's response to adapt - you can use BW, Jump Rope, Swimming, Cycling if you want to and interchange them week to week. It doesn't have to be on a treadmill always. And for those who want to do KB's - if you have never done them before - dont' do them unless you can honestly do them correctly.

5) This is for the "long timers" that have been through a few contests as it is. I've been doing TT for awhile...maybe longer than many here. When I joined this 4th contest - I knew if I didn't have that intensity level at the highest point for 12 weeks - I was not going to make any splash in the end. Fortunately I did and got 2nd. But if you look at many of the contestants who have won and only using the TT principles to a tee for the first time - those were the winners who took it all the way.

I had high expecatations of myself and really pushed hard. It may come across to many as nutbagging - but if you been reading my workout journals - it was all systematic. TT has evolved since I've joined (from 3 minutes arms, to 6 minute abs, to BW Cardio Intervals, to Complexes, to timed intervals/tabatas) and many of the new approaches to intervals Craig introduced in his programs worked for me. It's ok to nutbag - but just be systematic about it as well. Don't go overboard with it. Again: Intensity is always going to be subjective but you'll know it when you're working it. Intensity: very important in this contest. But also note that if you've been doing TT for sometime and joining this 5th contest - the body adapts and you really, really need to intermittently change up your interval sessions and select the best programs to achieve your goals or you can hit some stalls in progress.

Again, use the tools that Craig has given you in all of his programs - I've mentioned many here as it is. If I'm not challenging myself with my training..then it's just a waste of time in the gym for me. So I took every TT approved approaches like the 6 minute abs and used it to my advantage.

5) Program selection! Very important. If it's fat loss you're after, I recommend workouts that involve alot of BW in it (or a combination of BW and Weights together) and of course you have to have intervals in it. If it's mass you're after - go with a program that doesn't involve any intervals sessions. Either way you go on this - don't forget to eat and make sure your calories correlate to your program your on.

6) Stay consistent.

7) Don't put too much on your plate starting off. Again, I stress to stick to the program as they are written if you're starting off.

8) Don't be afraid to ask a question in here if you are unsure of an exercise or what not. We're all here to help.

9) Start a workout journal and find that social support here - and commit to it for 12 weeks. WE WANT TO KNOW WHO YOU ARE. And it's probably the best thing you can do here and alot of us want to meet you and watch you through your journey.

10) STAY THE COURSE AND STAY CONSISTENT (edit..oops! I mentioned that in #6 already! But this the KEY to your success)

11) (edit) And another important tip: Warm up and Stretch - ALWAYS...never pass up a warm up. Never neglect stretching post workout...that kept me injury free all throughout the contest. Do them.

Goodluck!!!!

Andy

hermann26
05-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the advice, Jonny and Andy. You cannot go wrong following the winners!

Buddy
05-15-2009, 04:09 PM
This is where I AM right now -- using Jon Gabriel's visualization techniques and power words to keep on track! Thanks, Canuckgal!! :)

Use yourself as your own personal feedback system and an opportunity to strategize.

Dipped into the chocolate absentmindedly? (I'm raising my guilty hand here!!!) Look deeper at how you felt or what was going on at the time...bored, stressed, was it too "handy" and available right there? You will get the deep insight into the overall picture that you need to succeed. Write down or mentally note 3 alternatives as to what you would do differently next time, like calling a friend or sending an e mail, getting more snacks in of healthy stuff so you don't reach the point of ravenous hunger, etc. Then DO IT!

Also, self talk to yourself...like Thor said on the contest 4 board, think of it as "that is not me, I will not go there!" when tempted to binge, or not workout.

While I am not a religious person, there is a saying in the Bible that I have found to be true already in this TT contest..."...as a man thinketh in his heart, SO IS HE." So...think happy and "thin" and "strong" and "determined" thoughts, people! We can DO this!!!

Tina

billy_quiz
09-07-2009, 04:49 AM
An essential part of increasing fitness is recovery. When we train, we stress the body which reacts by increasing its capability to manage that stress. That is how we become fitter.

However, this increased capacity occurs in the recovery period. Without allowing the body enough time to recover, this adaptation cannot occur.

Follwing three TT sessions a week incoproates these principles brilliantly. But, many people, particularly if faced with a competition, are motivated to do more. If three sessions are good then four must be better!! The temptation is that the days between TT sessions can become full blown sessions thenselves.

My tip therefore is to ensure that you have adequate recovery. On your non TT days, initially take things very easily and monitor your recovery. As you get fitter, gradually increase the amount you do on your easy days. It is easy to see what experienced guys are doing on their 'off' days and think that is the way to go. Remember, it has taken them a long time to achieve the fitness level to train to that level. An essential component to build fitness is recovery. Plan your recovery with the same diligence you plan your training.

ma
09-08-2009, 07:44 PM
An essential part of increasing fitness is recovery. When we train, we stress the body which reacts by increasing its capability to manage that stress. That is how we become fitter.

However, this increased capacity occurs in the recovery period. Without allowing the body enough time to recover, this adaptation cannot occur.

Follwing three TT sessions a week incoproates these principles brilliantly. But, many people, particularly if faced with a competition, are motivated to do more. If three sessions are good then four must be better!! The temptation is that the days between TT sessions can become full blown sessions thenselves.

My tip therefore is to ensure that you have adequate recovery. On your non TT days, initially take things very easily and monitor your recovery. As you get fitter, gradually increase the amount you do on your easy days. It is easy to see what experienced guys are doing on their 'off' days and think that is the way to go. Remember, it has taken them a long time to achieve the fitness level to train to that level. An essential component to build fitness is recovery. Plan your recovery with the same diligence you plan your training.

Great advice Billy!!!!!

I believe that's where too many people fail, reading others journals and
assuming they can do that, but if you are not physically ready, it's no go..
and you give up, frustated.. Don't get caught up in that..

Cheers
Ma

SuzNZ
01-17-2010, 03:43 AM
One thing I would like to ask.... when I look at the results people get from their 12 weeks of TT something that stands out for me is the difference in results. Is there a big reason for this? is it just the difference in people- at what stage they were at when they started- fitness levels etc or would it be more likely to be how well they have stuck to the nutritional and exercise side of things. Or a combination of everything?.
I'm guessing a combination of everything and that there could be alot of different reasons (all of the above and more) is the obvious answer but thought i'd ask as you see all of the pictures and read the essay's/see the before and after stats, can you pin point any obvious/not obvious differences?.

If you were to say two things that were the main reasons for the best results over the average results, what would they be?

Thank you :-)

Suzanne

Craig Ballantyne
01-17-2010, 10:54 AM
1) Diet
2) Where you started from

caty margain
01-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Iīll say, listening to your body... If you eat and pay attention, you can say exactly the moment your body says enough, stop eating!, but we never listen, is to hard to stop. Sometimes taste is really good, another times is an expensive meal and you donīt want to leave half the plate, but most of the time you program yourself to eat the complete portion you get, and thatīs the most important mistake of all. We canīt plan the quantity of food weīll take because our body always have different needs, so we have to learn to listen and stop whenever our body tells us, even if the plate is 80% full.
So, one of my goals is to learn to stop in the exact moment.

I also support baby steps... It took me 3 years to change bad habits, and Iīm still changing them, but itīs worth it...

SuzNZ
01-17-2010, 04:53 PM
1) Diet
2) Where you started from

Thank you, I can easily say for me the only time I have ever been able to lose weight is when I have concentrated on what I eat. REALLY concentrate and stick with good choices and limits.
I have used weights before but not for a decent enough amount of time for it to make a difference and when we got our Husky I was walking her one hour (5km's) in the morning at 5am before everyone else woke up and then again for an hour (5km's) at night when I could. Usually about 9pm but anytime between 7pm and I think the latest I did it was 10pm- home at 11pm once everyone was fed and in bed. (definitley possible with a family and little monkeys if willing not to just sit on butt every night once kids in bed)
10km walking a day, that made me feel great as long as I got to bed after a shower when I got home but it changed my weight (going by the scales) by less than 2kg, I think I lost 1.7kg over two months of doing that 6-7 days a week. However I did notice my 'bumps' (thighs, hips, bum) tighten a little. When I began shift work with the Police that could no longer happen as frequent/ consistently as both my partner and I do shift work- not often home at the same time so need to be there for our 3 & 4 year olds. Another reason your workouts are just perfect- not long and I can do it in the garage with the kids right there with me.
For intervals I have started to skip for the intense part and step up and down (walking speed) on step for the lower insensity part.

Thanks Craig
Suz

ricky1982
05-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Great stuff!

What about tips on helping some folks to get out of bed early in the morning to do their program?

I think i actually train better in the morning and it's damn sure quieter in the gym then so i'd love to get up and train before work...but not managed it yet. however, i still maintain i will go in the morning before work. never know - tomorrow might be the day :)

thebestme
08-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Daily mindfeed - subscribe to inspiring newsletters and podcasts and read/listen daily. Keeps you learning and you have ideas from which to draw should you feel stuck. Use the forums for this as well. Get on every day! More if you have to.

Use a variety of means to measure progress because the scale alone may not shift or may even go up. If you also have photos, measurements and body fat, you can tell if you are making progress and motivation stays high. I chart all this in a spreadsheet and can quickly see progress.

Reward yourself for making progress. For me, that's new workout clothing as things became too large. And regular clothing as well. Not food!

On food - find a diet that you enjoy. After a fast, if you're doing fasts, plan exactly what your meal will be. Something yummy! Enjoy eating! Use this time to find a diet that makes you feel good.

Tell everyone about the whole process. Although some will try to drag you down, know that that is their stuff and focus on the others, the ones who ask questions and share that they are starting, are also making progress. It is wonderful to inspire people! There were days I answered emails for over an hour.

Follow people who are ahead of you. Pick their brains. This is the flipside of the previous. But don't compare! Not everyone goes at the same rate. I am becoming the best ME. Just use success stories to help you see what can happen.

GillianM
09-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Put pictures around your home of people you want to look like or who have figures you admire. I am currently looking at Ashley Greene (from twilight) from the Women's Health cover (and other healthy looking females from fitness magazines). I really visualise myself having a hot bod like that. I want to look lean, fit and healthy (as opposed to skinny). The mind is a powerful tool. Use it! Also I agree affirmations are great. Postive thinking and commiting to want you want is the way forward.

Craig Ballantyne
09-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Thats cool!

bettywantsabs
09-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Put pictures around your home of people you want to look like or who have figures you admire. I am currently looking at Ashley Greene (from twilight) from the Women's Health cover (and other healthy looking females from fitness magazines). I really visualise myself having a hot bod like that. I want to look lean, fit and healthy (as opposed to skinny). The mind is a powerful tool. Use it! Also I agree affirmations are great. Postive thinking and commiting to want you want is the way forward.

I second that! I agree with everything you have said! My picture is of Michelle Bridges (the trainer from Australia's Biggest Loser) she has an amazing physique. I can't wait til I look like that! We'll all be looking amazing by the end of this contest.

GillianM
09-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Yeah she has a great body! I love reading fitness magazines on the tube to work. I recently discovered a mag called Oxygen (I think its an American magazine).Those girls are fit! (I hope i don't sound like a perve lol). I think its inspiring to look at those people who maintain the type of phyisque I want all year round. Maintainers are the best inspiration. They have it nailed!

'If you do what you've always done you'll get what you've always gotten.'

Love that quote.

cahj1968
12-02-2010, 10:59 PM
My tip would be to never forget that there is always help in these forums. Life got a hold of me in a bad way and I reverted to a lot of my bad habits between the end of TT8 and TT9. I ended up not following through on my goals and forgetting that I had I support network here. About 3 weeks ago I got on the scale and saw that I had put back on 20 pounds of the 35 I lost of the summer contest. I restarted with the body-weight for beginners that day and now 3 weeks latter I have lost 15 of the pounds. I have to say a lot of the motivation came from stalking these forums over the last 3 weeks.

thebestme
12-03-2010, 10:58 PM
My tip for this time would be to know your body and take a break or change direction when you need to. I did not get an amazing transformation during #9 but I made great forward strides that have me right back on track for continuing with my personal journey. I saw something today on FaceBook about being "all in". I was "all in" with #8 for sure and now I am back in that mode.

midwestj
12-04-2010, 08:56 PM
My tip is to set goals. Set goals long term, set short term goals, set daily nutrition goals, set goals for progressing in your workouts. Make the goals specific not general. There is no limit to how many goals you can set and achieve.

Goal setting has been one of the most powerful tools for me to not only transform my body, but also my lifestyle.

DebbieD
12-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Craig had asked if there were any tips for the people who workout in the early a.m. I am one of them and I've been thinking about what it is that really helps me get up when it seems like it is still night time. So here they are:

-First and foremost, just do it. Easy to say but that's what it really comes down to. If that is your window for a workout then you just have to do it. It won't happen later. Trust me!
-I read a lot of inspirational quotes and repeat them and write them down so they are always
floating around in my head. So many times what got me up and out was something that just 'popped' into my head as I woke up. An example: Every discipline has multiple rewards. I can't tell you how many times this has helped me.
Another: The bridge between goals and achievment is discipline.
Another: You will be tired no matter what time you first get up.

When I first started training at 5:30 am I was so angry that I had to do that. Now, after 7 yrs. of it, I feel terrible if I don't start my day with a great workout.

Lastly, I have NEVER, EVER regretted an early morning workout!!! EVER!!

I don't know if that helps but it is stuff that helps me.

gesunelson
12-09-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm not advanced like a lot of you folk but my tip is this - you don't have to wait for a transformation contest here to begin your program. Start your own personal transformation contest! Post the before photos here, post progress reports and celebrate your achievements.

When you feel down, look at where you were before you started this and where you are now. At the very least, you have goals and a direction.

When you achieve something, tell your partner, tell people here, tell someone! My first cause to celebrate was that I didn't keel over with a heart attack when I tried the TT Introductory Course. :)

Don't get hung up about eating badly for one or two meals, if it happens, it's really not going to make much of a difference in the long run. Really.

For me, the key has been the flexibility to substitute exercises in the programs. Craig's list of substitutions has been invaluable in allowing be to do that. When I only had a stability ball, I did the bodyweight exercises. Then I got one dumbell (the company I bought it from sent me only one by mistake) and added in exercises that could use a single dumbell like goblet squats. I've now got both dumbells. The main point is that I was able to continue the training. I'm now in a hotel room with no equipment so for intervals, I used burpees with running on the spot or star jumps for the rest periods.

I feel great that I was able to complete the training and on that note, I'm going to go and tell my wife :)

It's not easy but it's rewarding.

rutherfordj2
01-24-2011, 02:53 PM
I don't know if this is a great "transformation tip", but it's how I used to (and still) get myself really focused/pumped for a workout. When I go into a workout, I set a goal/challenge. It can be anything:

e.g. for TT Resistance Evil Workout A, I tried to beat my first week's total time (35:15) without sacrificing reps or weight. By week 4, I was down to 27:15 and doing more reps.

e.g. for a Meathead workout, I'll pick one exercise and really try to kill on that exercise. This works best for a power movement, like deadlift or squat or bench press, when you can get pumped up.

aliaussie
02-15-2011, 05:28 AM
Great stuff!

This sounds absolutely ridiculous but I swear it works- sleep in your workout clothes!! You only have to do this at the beginning and soon you will wake up ready. There is nothing that makes you feel more guilty for missing a workout than changing OUT of your workout clothes when you haven't been to the gym!

Craig Ballantyne
02-16-2011, 08:19 AM
I lay mine out at the bottom of the bed, but I hear you...helpful tip!

This sounds absolutely ridiculous but I swear it works- sleep in your workout clothes!! You only have to do this at the beginning and soon you will wake up ready. There is nothing that makes you feel more guilty for missing a workout than changing OUT of your workout clothes when you haven't been to the gym!

gingerbaker
04-26-2011, 09:22 PM

OK, I kind of LOVE this. I am gonna try this, for sure. Will report back and let you know how it works for me. :)

rutherfordj2
04-26-2011, 09:55 PM
I bookended "feasts" with fasts. e.g. I fasted for 20 hours prior to Super Bowl Sunday, then fasted from midnight until 8 PM, took in about 500 calories, and fasted again until 4 PM the next day to get myself back on track (I believe that patterns are a key ingredient to success- whether it's eating at the same time daily, or eating the same cycle of meals). Bookending works because you have a goal in sight, you get the reward, and then you are motivated to get back on track after the feast. Thus, even if I took in 5000 calories in the eight hours on SB Sunday, I had basically cut out those calories in the timeframe around the feasting.

JeninAustria
04-27-2011, 04:10 AM
This is what worked for me, a wannabe transfomation contest winner that became a transformation contest winner.

First I had to handle my food issues, which had been my achilles heel for the last few years. No matter how much I trained I wasn't going to make any improvements in my physique until I could stick with a sound eating plan. That was the hardest part for me. :(

After much trial and error I found what works best for me is 3 meals a day and no processed sugar or flour (corn, rice, wheat, any grain that is ground into flour). I do eat fruit and that is my sweet treat. Once I got off the sugar and flour, I was reborn, I no longer crave that stuff and my tastes have changed. I don't think and obsess about food. I love what I eat and for the first time in years I feel clear. Jack Lalanne was right about sugar.

So to recap: Diet is so key in making changes. I know it is not ground breaking news, but it needs to be said about a few billion times. I needed a lot of work in this area. so that was a huge hurdle for me.

The next one was not starting out crazy on the training. I really thought this one out because I am the person that thinks if one is good, 2 is better. So I would begin transformations with the hardest program I could find, use it more than the recommended times per week, and then peter out. This time I took the opposite approach. I wanted to see how little I could do to get results. You can always add more later. Lo and behold it worked quite well. :eek:

I am already get excited about the next TT contest. I have lots of room to grow and I did not kill myself with overtraining of the first one. I have my challenges, but I believe that with the tools available and make even more progress.

Crisatindy
05-02-2011, 01:14 AM

Totally Awesome!! I am trying this.. I think it will only take once to force myself out of bed after changing out of them

ReveraHealth
09-21-2011, 03:03 AM
I think one of the Biggest things that will help anyone is to ask for help. There are a lot of people who have already gone through what you are going through now, and most times these people are more than willing to help. You may not know this but you are surrounded by an amazing group of people on this forum that have some much to share, so reach out and you'll be amazed!!

Scott Rawcliffe
Certified Turbulence Trainer

galaxy
09-21-2011, 04:01 AM
I think one of the Biggest things that will help anyone is to ask for help. There are a lot of people who have already gone through what you are going through now, and most times these people are more than willing to help. You may not know this but you are surrounded by an amazing group of people on this forum that have some much to share, so reach out and you'll be amazed!!

Scott Rawcliffe
Certified Turbulence Trainer

This is so true, this forum rocks with some amazing people on it who so willing to give your their support, advice and encouragement. They are so knowledgable and will give you so much support especially when the going gets tough, which is when you need it most:)

PRahme
01-10-2016, 12:46 PM
HII. im glad i Just found the discussion forum for the 25th TT contest. im new to early to rise and TT and i like to participate to challenges and contests because it keeps motivated to workout and follow my nutrition plan and i like the social community discussions about the same things im experimenting, thanks for ur advices , btw i started my TT 2.0 workouts on the 2nd Jan and im in the beginner level now , i think intermediate would have worked for me too , but ill stay in the beginner as im new in general to the TT workouts i want to go through all, have a good day , off to do 30 mn on elliptical while watching my series, its recovery day today

BrentNeevel
01-10-2016, 01:26 PM
Yup, right now just focus on effort and form and you'll make amazing progress!