PDA

View Full Version : There's No Place Like Om

mocombes
05-14-2014, 09:58 PM
I committed to daily meditation practice for this contest a few days ago, but haven't started my thread yet, so today it's official.

I'm still keeping up with exercise and diet, and will likely throw that in for accountability, but where I really need the help is in keeping my stress/anxiety level in check. So, I'm shooting for a short practice every day, to grow longer as I develop the habit.

I've already kept it going for 4 days!

mocombes
05-15-2014, 06:22 AM
I had the best inspiration for a heart-centered meditation today. I was led to listen to a song I haven't heard since my kids (now in high school) were little: Red Grammer's "I Think You're Wonderful." I think that was my favorite song 12 years ago.

Ahhh. That feels so good, doesn't it, when someone tells us we're wonderful?

In case you don't know it, go to http://youtu.be/QPg7i9nIEf0

In my mind I was telling other people they are wonderful, feelin' the love. I think I had that little smile the yogis say you should have on your face during meditation...

shawnss711
05-15-2014, 10:00 AM
Awesome on your meditation.
I have trouble quieting my mind...

I thought I would let you know that I replied to your message. I have some errands and work so I likely won't be back on the forum until this evening.

Shawn

concetta27
05-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Great name, great idea. Continued success. Concetta

hal1
05-15-2014, 01:50 PM
Awesome on your meditation.
I have trouble quieting my mind...

Shawn

I have found that my priest at church has helped me to learn patience and to quiet my mind. We are Catholic and in most Catholic churches, mass is an hour or even less (we went to a 30 minute mass when I was a kid). In the church in our town, mass is always longer than an hour. I have learned to quiet my mind during all the downtime in mass. It is not that our priest talks longer (he does, though) but that he moves more slowly and has a lot more "pause time" built into mass. So, my patience has extended from this and more recently I have found my mind to be quiet during the quiet time.

Tai chi also helped me with this (daily meditation is encouraged there).

I guess just like anything, practice will help. Start small and eventually you will find you are going longer! I have recently started doing a (almost) daily rosary (another Catholic thing) and prayer is another way to get that quiet, self time which is at least in part what meditation is about.

mocombes
05-15-2014, 07:40 PM
I have recently started doing a (almost) daily rosary (another Catholic thing) and prayer is another way to get that quiet, self time which is at least in part what meditation is about.

Yes, that's what I was thinking about the meditation last night. It resembles prayer in that quiet, focused time (as long as it's not a rant at God!). Lovingkindness meditations are just like praying for people without any (acknowledged) intermediary.

mocombes
05-16-2014, 03:31 AM
Meditation accomplished while 99% submerged (eyes, nose and mouth above water) in the hot tub, listening to my breath in and out, and my heart beating in my ears. Ahhh.

shawnss711
05-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Meditation accomplished while 99% submerged (eyes, nose and mouth above water) in the hot tub, listening to my breath in and out, and my heart beating in my ears. Ahhh.

Sounds great! I think I could handle meditation like that :)

LeslieM
05-17-2014, 01:16 PM

How long did you do this? Just curious. I'm afraid I might fall asleep!

mocombes
05-18-2014, 02:19 AM
How long did you do this? Just curious. I'm afraid I might fall asleep!

It was only 10 minutes or less; I actually got too hot and had to get out. But I was *very* relaxed.

Last night I got home after a long, whirlwind day and laid down in bed, exhausted, at about 11:15 to do my meditation. I definitely fell asleep on that one...

mocombes
05-19-2014, 10:56 PM
I'm still on track, taking at least 5 minutes every day and trying to make it when I need a mental break and time away from the computer to just be.

I really like that time.

Radz
05-20-2014, 12:48 PM
I really like Jon Kabat Zinn's book "Wherever You Go, There You Are." It helps me put mindfulness into my daily life! (When I don't let my head and emotions get into the way!!! Always a process! :)

shawnss711
05-21-2014, 09:51 AM
I'm still on track, taking at least 5 minutes every day and trying to make it when I need a mental break and time away from the computer to just be.

I really like that time.

Glad to here you are still on track :)

mocombes
05-22-2014, 02:32 AM
I really like Jon Kabat Zinn's book "Wherever You Go, There You Are." It helps me put mindfulness into my daily life! (When I don't let my head and emotions get into the way!!! Always a process! :)

He's one of the true pioneers in mindfulness. In the last town I lived in on the mainland (Santa Rosa, CA) before moving here to Hawaii I used to get all kinds of great books--that one included--from the library at the Center for Spiritual Living. I miss that place!

mocombes
05-26-2014, 03:36 AM
Leslie, I'll answer your question here about whether I'm going to post daily on the "pexting" or start a new thread. I've been remiss in my updates as I'm not feeling much to say about my meditations, other than I've been more calm lately (though I really can't say it's a cause and effect relationship at this point).

But I have, and that's good. I really think that's more to do with feeling like I'm actually going to make my goal of getting my product done, site up and a sale made before the FIM Mastermind meeting on the 5th. I've been working really hard to get that done and it's finally coming together. It's on fat loss for women over 40, and I have a manual with the basic theory and recipes, an exercise guide and a coaching tools guide. I'll let you all know when it's ready.

Anyway, back to "pexting." I think that would be fertile fodder for daily posts and get me back in the habit. I haven't even read through the list, but I'm sure it will be challenging. Great idea, I'll do it!

Tomorrow is officially a Monday and Day 1.

LeslieM
05-26-2014, 11:04 PM
Leslie, I'll answer your question here about whether I'm going to post daily on the "pexting" or start a new thread. I've been remiss in my updates as I'm not feeling much to say about my meditations, other than I've been more calm lately (though I really can't say it's a cause and effect relationship at this point).

But I have, and that's good. I really think that's more to do with feeling like I'm actually going to make my goal of getting my product done, site up and a sale made before the FIM Mastermind meeting on the 5th. I've been working really hard to get that done and it's finally coming together. It's on fat loss for women over 40, and I have a manual with the basic theory and recipes, an exercise guide and a coaching tools guide. I'll let you all know when it's ready.

Anyway, back to "pexting." I think that would be fertile fodder for daily posts and get me back in the habit. I haven't even read through the list, but I'm sure it will be challenging. Great idea, I'll do it!

Tomorrow is officially a Monday and Day 1.

Great! I look forward to reading your thoughts!

mocombes
05-27-2014, 03:44 AM
Let the "pexting" begin (I think I'll have to pester myself, too, since my assistant is nowhere to be found : 0

So far, so good. Meditation done after my workout (very nice), called 3 people and stretched about 10 minutes, which I needed badly.

Now off to bed to get my full 8 hours (9-5 is my goal).

mocombes
05-28-2014, 03:04 AM
Day 2 - good with limber (stretching), connected (calling 2 people) and calm (meditating at least 5 minutes). Check.

Got rid of two blouses I'll never wear. I actually picked them up at a yard sale thinking they looked good, but when I got them home ended up not liking how they looked on me, so out they went. They should have gone out that same day, but...

Simple things I love:
1) a hug from my younger son (the older one isn't into hugging anymore)
2) good comedy
3) a swim in the ocean

I got a hug this morning from my unsuspecting victim ;) and watched Louis C.K. while I was stretching this morning and Jon Stewart while I was stretching this evening. I am not liking political comedy as much these days as I'm so sick of politics, so I'll need to expand my repertoire.

I put my swim on the calendar for Saturday!

mocombes
05-29-2014, 03:16 AM
Limber, connected and calm: check.

Short term goals:
1. Get my Flat Belly Breakthrough product on the market and selling by June 4
2. finish my Latin workbook and know it well enough to really teach it with authority for Friday's comprehensive review (I teach Latin to homeschoolers and am learning it just ahead of them so I can lead them in their studies. I've fallen a bit behind these past couple of months so don't have the confidence I usually have with it.)
3. Make the FIM Mastermind and TT Summit productive networking events that will move me forward in big ways for the long term. Make a clear list of goals to accomplish at these events and meet all of them.

Long term:
1. By 12/31/14, figure out how to make my chronic back pain go away so I am pain-free most of the time. This has really been hindering my progress in a lot of ways.
2. Create an online business that supports me comfortably. Goal: $50K by May 2015, to increase from there.
3. By May 2015, create a strong network of health and fitness professionals.

Only 45 minutes 'til bedtime and I still have two more projects to do, so no more elaboration.

LeslieM
05-29-2014, 05:01 PM
Ahhh! Latin. I always felt a little guilty because my kids were not those little genius kids who knew Latin! I did buy a latin curriculum. That counts for effort! I wonder if I know any of the families you teach? Are they mostly military kids? ot's of military folks homeschool. It's just easier!

mocombes
05-31-2014, 04:59 AM
No, I only teach local kids, the online thing never panned out. And I'm now RETIRED from teaching Latin! Well, except the copious number of Latin roots I teach in SAT prep. They're very effective at building vocabulary. But no more declensions, conjugations, confusing word order, etc. I am thankful, though, that I learned it. My next language goal will be to brush up on my French, which I took in high school. It should be pretty easy to grasp again since my brain is back in the Romance languages.

Anyway, check in on pexting. Um, not so good. I did the limber calm connected part okay, but neither the Wow or Man Up days happened. I was fully involved in my own project yesterday (on a deadline) and didn't give other people any energy, so that's my excuse for Wow. Yes, I'm owning it's an excuse, but it's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)

Today I had the opportunity for a Man Up but decided to skip it, since it's too touchy. My sister is going through a divorce and her husband sent a "pity me" email to our entire family. I could have politely told him that he needs to just accept this is all happening, that he brought it on as much as she did, that he's going to lose the house and that he needs to man up and deal with it, or....stay out of their relationship. I chose the latter.

I'll find my own place where I need to WoMan up and call a friend to have that discussion, so both of us can grow.

mocombes
06-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Been away from posting with this last push before the VMM meeting and TT Summit. I'm happy to announce I'm in San Diego and finally put my first information product on the market today! I'm very excited, and so happy to have made the deadline 'ol CB put out for me. Three sales so far...

Through it all I've almost kept to my limber, connected and calm goals, but not perfectly. I missed stretching yesterday and meditating the day before. But really am feeling connected as I'm staying with my sister for a couple days before the meetings. Hawaii is nice, but I miss seeing my family (parents, six siblings and their spouses and kids).

RobB
06-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Looks like they tried to "zap" you out!:D

mocombes
06-15-2014, 05:51 AM
Back to reality after 10 days away on my California trip, and getting back to my commitments. I'd forgotten to meditate quite a few days last week. Have to link it to something else, I think, otherwise it's too easy to forget. I think it will come right after my first, and most important, project in the morning (which I have been doing faithfully).

shawnss711
06-16-2014, 03:50 PM
I had to get back to reality sooner lol. You will get back on track quickly :)

Thank you for your encouragement. I am becoming more confident because of the encouragement I receive on the TT forum.

mocombes
06-25-2014, 02:41 PM
I've taken to gratitude meditations as I've heard they decrease your stress levels far more than any other kind. I know for sure that writing thank you cards (a.k.a. Thank You Therapy--that should be trademarked) is wonderful. The mind-shift works wonders.

Along those lines, I had a great conversation with an old girlfriend this past weekend. She's been hanging on to her anger at her ex for a few years now. Every time his name came up she had more of a rolled-eyes comment than a non-attached one. I'd just let her vent, but knew it wasn't helping her have a good life.

This weekend she offered that she's tired of blaming and is leaving it all behind; she even expressed gratitude for him. It was great to hear, and then we shared our mutual commitment not to being victims but rather creating lives we love. All good.

mocombes
07-05-2014, 04:22 AM
Back to the forum after a while...I'm feeling a little more energetic now after (I think) getting over the worst of this bug my boys brought home. I'm usually rather bulletproof in the germs department, but this one got me.

As much as I'd like to report that I have made meditation a daily ritual that flows easily with the rest of my day, I haven't. I was starting a great morning routine but this illness has made my sleep terrible so I don't get up as early, then the day is thrown off. I'm two weeks into a month-long summer school commitment (teaching multiple sessions of SAT prep) which has been a bit stressful since it's my first time with this length class. I usually do this over the course of one week, so there's more to this class. Anyway, it's all good, just new. I get to hang out all day at a gorgeous private prep school campus in the green hills, with students learning how to ride horses outside my door. My kids could go here too, if I just had a spare $42K a year...

So, got my meditation in today and Scarlett, tomorrow is another day :)

LeslieM
07-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Back to the forum after a while...I'm feeling a little more energetic now after (I think) getting over the worst of this bug my boys brought home. I'm usually rather bulletproof in the germs department, but this one got me.

As much as I'd like to report that I have made meditation a daily ritual that flows easily with the rest of my day, I haven't. I was starting a great morning routine but this illness has made my sleep terrible so I don't get up as early, then the day is thrown off. I'm two weeks into a month-long summer school commitment (teaching multiple sessions of SAT prep) which has been a bit stressful since it's my first time with this length class. I usually do this over the course of one week, so there's more to this class. Anyway, it's all good, just new. I get to hang out all day at a gorgeous private prep school campus in the green hills, with students learning how to ride horses outside my door. My kids could go here too, if I just had a spare $42K a year...

So, got my meditation in today and Scarlett, tomorrow is another day :)

Hi Maureen! I was one of the recipients of a one year membership, so I'm back at it for a while. It was awesome to see a picture of you at the summit. What a beautiful lady! I'm glad you are feeling better. I have Honolulu on my dream sheet for our next move! I wanted to update you on the lacto-fermented ketchup. The flavor is really good, but it is super thick. I'm going to add some AC vinegar to it to improve the texture before I try it out on the kids! I like it thick though. It has a gourmet quality to it! Love the movie quote! I could hold entire conversations in just movie quotes! Have a great day. Leslie

mocombes
07-05-2014, 03:47 PM
Hooray! I'm so glad you're back with us here, Leslie! Thank you for your complimentary words and good wishes:) Keep that Honolulu vision; I bet you'll make it happen. Also, please do refine that ketchup recipe so I can try it on my guinea pigs as well, hehehe...

shawnss711
07-17-2014, 08:43 AM
How's it going, Maureen ?

I hope you are doing well :)

LeslieM
07-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Hey Maureen,
I remembered something that might help you. We do give a small allowance for chores. For my 12 y/o's it is $10/week, BUT they only get it if chores are done with NO reminders. They still have to do their chores, but only get paid for doing them without prodding. Of course I add in a little "motivational" talk about how future teachers, professors and employers won't come by and remind them everyday to get their work done. They don't lose the whole week's, just that day's pay which I've decided is $2. They work for food only on the weekends! 8 )

mocombes
07-22-2014, 12:11 AM
How's it going, Maureen ?

I hope you are doing well :)

Hi Shawn! I'm doing fine, just been crazy with full time summer school teaching plus crunch week for the monthly newspaper I edit. But I finished all that up last night so I'm back on the fitness biz today. Wrote a blog post today that I hope Shawna K and her partner Lisa B will use. Getting ready to do some videos on Wednesday (tentative based on whether my borrowed kitchen is available).

Just psyching up for my Monday workout now. I need to hurry before I get hungry. I've been a bit bummed about my back and it's issues lately. Been unable to do a bunch of stuff due to pain, so I just tone it down and do what I can.

You've been cranking on your business. Great job on all your action!

mocombes
07-22-2014, 04:29 PM
Hey Maureen,
I remembered something that might help you. We do give a small allowance for chores. For my 12 y/o's it is $10/week, BUT they only get it if chores are done with NO reminders. They still have to do their chores, but only get paid for doing them without prodding. Of course I add in a little "motivational" talk about how future teachers, professors and employers won't come by and remind them everyday to get their work done. They don't lose the whole week's, just that day's pay which I've decided is $2. They work for food only on the weekends! 8 )

Oh, you're a smart cookie, Leslie. I might consider allowance; I don't give it now but they do specific extra work for money.

shawnss711
07-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Hi Shawn! I'm doing fine, just been crazy with full time summer school teaching plus crunch week for the monthly newspaper I edit. But I finished all that up last night so I'm back on the fitness biz today. Wrote a blog post today that I hope Shawna K and her partner Lisa B will use. Getting ready to do some videos on Wednesday (tentative based on whether my borrowed kitchen is available).

Just psyching up for my Monday workout now. I need to hurry before I get hungry. I've been a bit bummed about my back and it's issues lately. Been unable to do a bunch of stuff due to pain, so I just tone it down and do what I can.

You've been cranking on your business. Great job on all your action!

Thanks, Maureen.
It sounds like you have been productive. Nice work!
Sorry to hear about your back issues. I hope it gets to feeling better. Is it something you have been to the doctor for?
Shawn

mocombes
07-24-2014, 06:00 AM
Thanks, Maureen.
It sounds like you have been productive. Nice work!
Sorry to hear about your back issues. I hope it gets to feeling better. Is it something you have been to the doctor for?
Shawn

Yes, I actually finally got some x-rays as my first step in pursuit of figuring out what's going on. I have to get to the bottom of this. I've been through literally hundreds of chiropractor, PT, rehabilitative exercise, etc. sessions but never have gotten to "normal". So, tomorrow I get the results and then we'll see what's next.

I made my first cooking videos for YouTube today! It took longer than I thought it would (prep and cleaning between each video took almost all the time). But it was great to get started!

LeslieM
07-24-2014, 08:45 AM
Yes, I actually finally got some x-rays as my first step in pursuit of figuring out what's going on. I have to get to the bottom of this. I've been through literally hundreds of chiropractor, PT, rehabilitative exercise, etc. sessions but never have gotten to "normal". So, tomorrow I get the results and then we'll see what's next.

I made my first cooking videos for YouTube today! It took longer than I thought it would (prep and cleaning between each video took almost all the time). But it was great to get started!

Hope your results are helpful in getting better! and I WANT TO SEE your videos!! Are they uploaded yet??

mocombes
07-25-2014, 03:56 AM
Nope, no videos up yet, as my son took the audio through his computer and it caused a delay, so now he's synching it with the video. But soon...

As far as my back goes, nothing shocking on my x-rays, so next is an MRI.

concetta27
07-25-2014, 10:54 AM
Can't wait to see the videos!
Good luck with the MRI. Better to know what it going on. Concetta

mocombes
07-29-2014, 05:29 AM
Thanks, Concetta. I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't posted yet because I'm stuck on a channel name. Needs to be bigger than fat loss (the product name is Flat Belly Breakthrough), more about healthy food and fitness for women. I'll have to go with something tomorrow, though, just to get it done.

And MRI is scheduled for Friday. I think it's best to know what's going on, too.

shawnss711
07-29-2014, 03:37 PM
I hope all goes well with your testing. I hope they figure this thing out and fast!

I can't wait to see the video, Maureen.

Take care :)

mocombes
07-30-2014, 01:37 AM
I'm live! Yes, it's not perfect (in fact, I cringe at some parts), but it's DONE.

Check out how to make some summer iced tea that will satisfy your sweet tooth and take the place of diet soda at my new YouTube channel: Flat Belly Fitness.

On to more, and better, uploads every week. Let me know what you want me to cover. I aim to please!

pageboy9
07-31-2014, 11:07 PM
I'm live! Yes, it's not perfect (in fact, I cringe at some parts), but it's DONE.

Check out how to make some summer iced tea that will satisfy your sweet tooth and take the place of diet soda at my new YouTube channel: Flat Belly Fitness.

On to more, and better, uploads every week. Let me know what you want me to cover. I aim to please!

Nothing will stop you like perfectionism: So glad to hear that it's up, and the tea sounds like a great choice.

shawnss711
08-01-2014, 07:13 AM

Nice work! I will have to check it out later. I have a busy day today... pretty much non-stop until about 1 pm.